What happens when we come up against decent opposition? | Lads, it's only Spurs!

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Sassy Colin, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Dec 25, 2018

Denis79 Full Member

Matic went in as a CB everytime Shaw and Young went in the offensive.
  2. Dec 25, 2018

deafepl Full Member

The team is not fully adapted to Ole's team yet, I have seen Matic forgot to come back in CB with CB staying wider to prevent counter on both flank couple of times, we have zero width threatening from fullback because they didn't take on men much even if they stay high, that force Martial to take on men on left and created chances for Rashford and Lingard but fecked up because they weren't expecting passes, imagine if Shaw does the same thing as Martial by taking men on successful, that would be likely goal assuming Martial get to shooting position when Shaw take men on.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  3. Dec 25, 2018

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Yeah that makes sense.
  4. Dec 25, 2018

anant Full Member

I think we'll set up a bit defensively. So, I don't think we'll score 5 but then I don't think we'll concede in those games as well.
    So, we'll beat those sides 4-0
    :D
  5. Jan 6, 2019

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Time to bump this, I guess.

The big test of how far we've really come in the last month is next weekend.

Defence is likely to be our biggest weakness.
  6. Jan 6, 2019

T00lsh3d Full Member

I am nervous whenever we concede a set piece/corner. We’re just not convincing defending them....don’t know if that’s me or it’s an actual problem
  7. Jan 6, 2019

Gopher Brown Full Member

It’s important that we don’t overreact if we lose, even if we get beat we are making good progress under Ole and he has to be in the list for permanent manager.
  8. Jan 6, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Agreed. The points and a fantastic performance would be great, but we've not been under Ole long, and under anyone for any length of time it'd be a big challenge.
  9. Jan 6, 2019

RyRy11 Full Member

Outscoring Spurs is the only way we’ll win. Of the Five games we’ve played I think a stronger, more clinical attack would have scored a bag more goals! Spurs are one of the inform attacking teams currently and holding them off is one of the biggest tests in English football.
  10. Jan 6, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Cheers Michael Owen.
  11. Jan 6, 2019

RyRy11 Full Member

:D
  12. Jan 6, 2019

Lynty Full Member

Win or lose. It’ll be end to end football
  13. Jan 6, 2019

Pav1878 New Member

Great post. I couldn't agree more.

So nice to see a true United man in the dugout and genuinely wanting what's best for the club rather than his own CV.
  14. Jan 6, 2019

Green_Red Full Member

We have a team that can match Spurs. IMO the last defeat to them was an anomaly, we beat them last season with exactly the same team they have last year in both fixtures. Son is missing which is good news for us.

I'm not worries about losing so much, more then manner in which we lose. If it's an open game like City v Liverpool and we lose I won't be worried at all about our progress. If we get totally walked over like we did against Liverpool it will sound alarm bells.
  15. Jan 6, 2019

JB08 Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Supports:
    Purchasing Kalidou Koulibaly
    Says who? I though he was available against us.
  16. Jan 6, 2019

Judas Open to offers

I'm certainly not going to overreact because Spurs are a more organised team than us, and our defence is total shambles. It'll be an expected result for us to lose to them in our current state. But we'll have a go, and it'll be a lot more offensive from us than the last few times we've played them away, so that'll be a nice change.
  17. Jan 6, 2019

AngryCroat New Member

We should have fun against Spurs and enjoy the match.. More important is to get 6 points against Brighton and Burnley..
  18. Jan 6, 2019

Beaucoup Full Member

This is Ole’s first real audition for the job, should be interesting to see how he does.
  19. Jan 6, 2019

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

We'll lose. Our defence is abysmal, midtable quality.

However, it's not a big deal as Im confident Ole will take maximum points against all lower level opposition while improving the goal difference and the season will end up not being that bad in hindsight, compared to when Jose was here.
  20. Jan 6, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Ole has been here for two weeks. A loss or win against Spurs is not real sign of progress or lack of.
  21. Jan 6, 2019

AriKra New Member

See thats the one good point, we wont get wanked over like this because mou didn’t fancy us to attack. Now with Ole it’s a different story. He wants us actually to go at teams and not just when we are chasing from getting down in the game.

And even if we lose, it wont be anything like the liverpool game, because we will fight till the end
  22. Jan 6, 2019

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

South Korea play tomorrow, so surely he'll be there.

Edit: Well, looks like he will be available.
  23. Jan 6, 2019

BluesJr Full Member

Yeah his last game is against us.
  24. Jan 6, 2019

Kag Full Member

There will be an overreaction irrespective of the result.
  25. Jan 6, 2019

OldPop Full Member

Great analysis!:lol:
  26. Jan 6, 2019

spiriticon Full Member

If we beat all the 'shit' opposition and lose to all the 'good' opposition, we'd still have more points that if we beat all the 'good' opposition and lost to all the shit ones...

Philosophy...:houllier:
  27. Jan 6, 2019

Stepney73 New Member

Just keep progressing the way we have been and address those well known squad issues in the summer.
  28. Jan 6, 2019

Camilo Full Member

It's no doubt his first real test.. He's basically just let our (very good) players off the leash a little, and it coincided with 5 easy (as easy as the get really) games. Which is great. Momentum and belief mustn't be underestimated in football. But the better the opposition, the more you need a plan.

If you play a certain way and have total belief in what you're doing you get the City Liverpool game. Which is great - I haven't seen a proper heavyweight match like that in the league for years - but you need that utter clarity of play that I think Pep and Klopp have instilled.

We're just good players. So I think Ole will be a little more reserved in our setup. It'll be a more Jose like performance. But hopefully, of we keep it tight our quality will get it's chance to shine. Unlike a Jose performance I expect us to have a dominant period .

Totally fascinating really.. I won't blame Ole if we lose every big game for the rest of the season, as long as he keeps moral high. And if he blows everyone away....... Well then feck it, give him the job.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  29. Jan 6, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

We will find out next week when we meet Tottenham. We certainly need to tighten up at the back and midfield.
  30. Jan 6, 2019

Irrational. Full Member

It'll be very interesting.

Personally I think Spurs are favourites to win. We still concede too many chances to the opposition and players like Kane and Eriksen will punish us.

Some on here have elevated Ole to Zidane and Pep levels of greatness already and this has not been helped by the fact we've won our first five games on the bounce.

Our expectations have skyrocketed since Jose's sacking, but the fact of the matter remains Ole is an interim manager who has been brought in to steady the ship, play attacking football and get the fans on side until the end of the season when we can hire someone with more managerial clout.

It's not the end of the world if we lose next weekend, though to some it may as well be considering the reactions after the Reading win.
  31. Jan 6, 2019

Green_Red Full Member

32. Jan 6, 2019

norm87cro New Member

Tottenham are decent. Nothing more. The only games I'll be worried are world class teams like City, other great teams of Europe and Liverpool because it's us vs them. Don't know if we'll win against Spurs but I'm sure the team has given us more reasons for optimism by the way we approach games. Spurs away is not going to change that.
  33. Jan 6, 2019

KW2006 New Member

Squad quality wise we are among 3rd/4th in the league. (Better than Chelsea & Arsenal, level with Spurs.)

So if we perform normally, we will look like a 3rd/4th team.
  34. Jan 6, 2019

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    He's right though.
  35. Jan 6, 2019

Mr.Ridiculous__ The name says it all

Let's take it to the cnuts.
  36. Jan 6, 2019

Paul the Wolf Full Member

Nouvelle Aquitaine, France. Aka Paul the Pogba
    We win?

Whatever happens against Spurs is not going to determine things one way or the other.

This season we have gained a grand total of 2 points against the top 5 so it couldn't have been much worse.

People saying that we would have won the last five games anyway is nonsense, there was no guarantee we'd have won any of them, never mind all five.
    Bearing in mind we have already lost to West Ham and Brighton and drawn with Southampton, Palace and Wolves.

Most importantly it is the way we are now approaching games, looking to go forward, not being afraid of the opposition and the players expressing themselves.
    As Ole says we expect to win every game. No doubt we won't but we're not going to hide.
  37. Jan 6, 2019

2cents Full Member

The last five years has conditioned me to fear the worst here.
  38. Jan 6, 2019

Bobski Full Member

Spurs are good but they are just after losing 3-1 at home to Wolves. We don't have to go full Mou and build them into something they are not. Good side but they have their weaknesses we can exploit, lost 5 league games already, the same as a woefully performing(until recently) Utd.
  39. Jan 6, 2019

OldPop Full Member

Yes, no doubt, that's the only thing we can be absolutely sure of when we meet the better teams. But if we win or lose it's not as easy to know for sure anymore. It shouldn't do that, but it actually feels very positive! :)
  40. Jan 6, 2019

Muppetry_man New Member

Reading in the Twitter Tranfers topic ... Germany
    It's going to be interesting game and I feel we shouldn't overreact if we don't win. Take it easy enjoy the game and see how we play vs Spurs.