What is the profile of central midfielder we need to sign?

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Nick., Apr 6, 2018.

1. Apr 6, 2018

Nick. Full Member

Anytime I read about who we need to sign it can range from a destroyer (somebody like Fabinho or N'Zonzi), a deep playmaker (what I think we need, players like Verratti, Jorginho, Seri, Weigl), or a box-to-box (Vidal, Nainggolan, Fred, arguably Milinkovic-Savic).

Juventus best midfield in a long time was

Pogba - Vidal
    Pirlo
    But we don't have that playmaker like Pirlo, we have Matic instead so I think instead of the box-to-box we need a creator to help us dictate the game more. So I think getting a box-to-box is incorrect for us unless we signed somebody like Weigl or Jorginho who we probably don't even need with Matic and McTominay anyway. If we did get a box-to-box I don't know much about Fred but I hear he can play in a midfield 2 as well which might appeal to Mourinho.
  2. Apr 6, 2018

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Andreas Pereira next to Pogba in a midfield three, with Matic as the deep-lying playmaker.
  3. Apr 6, 2018

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    Why stop at the midfield? Why not ask how it'll dovetail with the attack and defence? Why pigeonhole midfielders into only three categories?

You're asking the wrong question, imo. The question you need to ask has about 15 parts.
  4. Apr 6, 2018

goin4glory Full Member

Matic holding in a 4-3-3, Pogba left so someone who can play on the right.
  5. Apr 6, 2018

YouOnlyLiveTwice Full Member

We should look for a playmaker first and foremost. I think buying a player to take over from Matic in the near future should be looked at also, McTominay isn’t that guy imo.

Seri is the obvious one, as he is the realistic choice. Pjanic/Thiago/Verratti would be the dream.
  6. Apr 6, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Isco basically or someone like David Silva or Özil. That's the priority. More midfielders are needed but not as much for the starting lineup as the playmaker.
  7. Apr 6, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

I'm convinced we need a grafter, having seen Liverpool in midweek and thinking back to how our best players in the big games back in the day were the likes of Fletcher and Park I'm thinking we need a bit of that in this squad
  8. Apr 6, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

A magician as Mourinho likes to call him. Someone like Silva or de Bruyne.
  9. Apr 6, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

A creative metronome. Either in the mould of a Modric or a Kroos.
  10. Apr 6, 2018

Bastian Full Member

Not managed by a scumbag. I'm not asking for much.
  11. Apr 6, 2018

RedMilo Full Member

Roy Keane & Paul Scholes would do
  12. Apr 6, 2018

#CR7 Full Member

If we assume matic and pogba are constants and we’re looking to sign a right sided CM to play as part of a three then I think a mobile CM with a good passing range and defensive awareness would be ideal. IMO the key is to bring in a player that brings balance to the midfield and one that allows both matic and pogba to concentrate on what they do best.
  13. Apr 6, 2018

MrMourinho#7 New Member

A controlling midfielder like Verratti is a must. And we need another midfielder which i think should be a defensive minded box-to box or a ball-carrying midfielder like Kovacic. We need far more control and technical ability(passing, dribbling etc.) in midfield imo.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  14. Apr 6, 2018

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    We need:

Shape at the back
    The ability to play out of the back

Control in the middle
    Positional sense in the middle
    Creativity in the middle

Outlets out wide

Creativity at the top
    A goal threat at the top

With all of that in mind - and given the forwards/defenders already in the squad - we need a hard working, box-to-box midfielder who doesn't mind chipping in when we lose the ball and who makes good runs behind opposition midfields and who has a creative pass in him. I've mentioned elsewhere that Savic ticks all those boxes, but anybody in that mould would be my preference. His similarity to Pogba is a positive, not a negative. Pogba doesn't offer enough of anything to be the only AM in the side.

You can't ask Mourinho to recreate the Juve or Barca midfield shapes of old. None of our forwards have the creativity required to make it work. People get so blinded by historical sides that they forget about systems that might actually work with what we've already got.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  15. Apr 6, 2018

NoPace Full Member

If we assume that Mourinho. may not be here forever, I think quality and mobility are the main thinks we need. If we can sign someone like David Silva then we'll be better going forward but lose a bit defensively and if we sign somone like Kante the reverse will be true. Ideally a 2 way player with quality like Modric or Vidal have been the past 5-7 years, but basically anyone who can move to compensate for Pogba's wandering and Matic's aging legs and is genuinely great should fit between Pogba and Matic just fine.
  16. Apr 7, 2018

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

Someone like Thiago, Verratti or a Modric in his prime, mobile and comptetive enough to make up for Matic's lack of mobility when we don'rt have the ball, and capable of controlling the tempo of the game when we do have it.
  17. Apr 7, 2018

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    We need a playmaker to control the team around, but they don't necessarily need to be a 'deep-lying' playmaker like a Carrick or Pirlo. We have Matic sitting deep, so our playmaker can be somewhat more aggressive and attack-minded than that. A Modric style of player would be perfect.
  18. Apr 7, 2018

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

Some beast that can totally unshackle Pogba, and we'll see more of what we saw today.
  19. Apr 7, 2018

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Somebody like Ruben Neves would be perfect but it's maybe a tad early for that.

Agree with the others though, a mobile playmaker like De Bruyne would give us great balance.
  20. Apr 7, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

If only we had someone like that today...
  21. Apr 7, 2018

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

If last season's Herrera was consistently present I'd have no issue with that, but his performances this season haven't been up to par.

We'll need two midfielders with Fellaini and Carrick not being available. Also Matic needs help for the DM position, he is visibly struggling in high tempo matches.
  22. Apr 7, 2018

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

I dont want this to sound crude or ill-timed as he put a right shift in today, but a much better version of Herrera.

A box to box nuisance who does all the breaking up of play and lets Pogba run free. Herrera is a good player but has his limitations, someone with his general style but better shooting, goal-threat and composure.
  23. Apr 7, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

His performances this year haven’t been in that position. It seems to be a point that is completely overlooked by everyone. How often has he played as the destroyer or in a midfield three? The majority of his games have come when Pogba has been unavailable. And if you go back through the performance threads, you’ll find the ones he’s getting praise in are the ones where he plays in his actual position.

Feel we need to bring in another creative midfielder. We’ve got two defensive minded players in Herrera and Matic, let’s bring in someone with that extra spark in midfield when we need it.
  24. Apr 8, 2018

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

I fully agree with your post @Nick. I feel we need a playmaker too.

When we play a three man midfield, which I hope we do more of next season, we haven't got any who can control a game.

Sometimes Pogba drops deep to do this, but we want him playing how we saw him playing for the second half yesterday, which is playing in between the lines and making runs in behind.

Having someone who will get on the ball and create chances would mean Pogba can focus on getting forward and being a threat in the final third.

Our midfield set up in a three next season should be:

Pogba Playmaker
    Matic

Pogba Box to box
    Deep-lying playmaker

The two midfield formats above show that we will always have someone in midfield to get on the ball and control the game.

With Carrick retiring, and Fellaini looking like he will leave on a free, then Seri and Jorginho would be my choices. Been linked with both, and both are ball playing midfielders.

Pogba Seri
    Matic

Pogba Herrera
    Jorginho
  25. Apr 8, 2018

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

A consistent version of Herrera with better technical ability.
  26. Apr 8, 2018

tjb Full Member

Let Matic win ball and protect the defence and sign a passer that is willing to hold a position in midfield and tackle.
  27. Apr 9, 2018

Isotope Full Member

Like Fernandinho or Kante. Has excellent stamina, a hustler, and with good footballing brain and skill.
  28. Apr 9, 2018

Litch Full Member

Pretty much this..
  29. Apr 9, 2018

Nick. Full Member

Funny that even with a thread dedicated to it there is still no agreement on what we need for that third midfielder, some saying a defensive b2b like Kante and some saying a metronome in the Kroos/Modric/Verratti mold who will help control the game. I hope Mourinho has the right idea whatever he thinks.
  30. Apr 9, 2018

In Herrera, we have a defensive box to box player. Whilst not as good as Kante, Herrera shares similar attributes so I'm not sure why people would be suggesting that type of player.

What we haven't got, as you said, is a playmaker. Someone who knows when to play short, when to switch play, slow the tempo, quicken up play, etc. No one in our team doe that.

The only other type of player I can think of is an attacking box to box player. Someone similar to Pogba, I guess, to play on the right side of centre midfield.

Having those two type of players above Matic, where the two can dovetail (one runs in behind, one stays, etc) then I guess it could work in games where we dominate the ball. The bring in Herrera in the tougher fixtures.
  31. Apr 9, 2018

Ikon Full Member

Its really not a straight forward choice is it?
    Especially when most of us are planning around a 3 man midfield, which Mourinho might not even be..!

Personally I think that we need someone that is technically gifted, very comfortable at retaining possession and able to pick a killer pass.
    For me, that would be a player in the Luca Modric / David Silva mould.
    Could Seri be the man..?
    He does seem to tick a lot of boxes, also has a good engine on him and can put in a tackle, which Mourinho would approve of.

But I have also been impressed with some of the other names that we have been linked with:
    Savic, Kessie, Fred, Jorginho, Saul, etc....

Its probably going to be the most crucial transfer decision Mourinho will have had to make since coming here, and I don't envy him this choice.
  32. Apr 9, 2018

golden_blunder I hate football. Getting grumpier by the second Staff

He’s not exactly pulling up trees on loan
  33. Apr 9, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Can’t believe “metronome” seems to have become a thing.
  34. Apr 9, 2018

Red4Life_#7 Full Member

We need an enforcer with good technical abilities and workrate.
  35. Apr 9, 2018

VivaObertan Transfer Voyeur

Embarrassing, isn't it?
  36. Apr 9, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

I would like a genuine attacking midfielder to upgrade on Lingard, and a box-to-box machine with good technical qualities.

Isco for the former

Savic/Fred/Docoure for the latter
  37. Apr 9, 2018

Well this is the thing. My hoping is that Mourinho will play a 3 man mdifield next season, but he will most likely chop and change between a 4231 and 433 like he always does. Did it at Madrid, Chelsea and now with us.

With Mourinho making it clear that he needs to replace Carrick, does that mean he needs a squad player, because that's exactly what Carrick is nowadays?

I remember when he bought Modric at Madrid, having already had Alonso and Khedira as their starting midfielders. If I remember correctly, he continued with his 4231, and Modric spent quite a bit of time on the bench. Modric, as good as he was, and still is, was a squad player.

I personally think we will continue to see a 4231 quite often next season, with a double pivot of Matic and Pogba.

Maybe isn't looking for a starting midfielder, but a squad player instead.

Mourinho does like different types of centre midfielder types.

Real Madrid

Alonso - Holding

Khedira - Box to box

Modric - Playmaker

Diarra - Back up to Alonso

Chelsea

Matic - Holding

Fabregas - Playmaker

Ramires - Box to box

Mikel - Back up to Matic

What do we need?

Now, if you think about the midfielders we currently have at the club, a lot of them are similar players.

With Carrick retiring, and Fellaini looking likely to leave on a free, it means we'd need most likely need back up to Matic, leaving us with:

Man Utd

Matic - Holding

Pogba - Playmaker

Herrera - Box to box

New Signing - Back up to Matic

If we do get a back up to Matic, or someone who can rotate with him, then personally I would like to see a deep-lying playmaker. Someone who can control the game from deep, i.e. Carrick, Busquets, Alonso, etc.

Jorginho, who shares similar attributes, has been linked with a move to United. Maybe he will come in to rotate with Matic.
  38. Apr 9, 2018

ArjenIsM3 New Member

I'm just going to put this out there: there's speculation about Aaron Ramsey not wanting to sign a new deal at Arsenal. His current deal runs out in 2019. Should we make him an offer? Creative CM, homegrown, knows the league well, probably not too expensive. I'm not really a fan as he's pretty inconsistent, but perhaps he'd be nice to have as a squad player? Thoughts?
  39. Apr 9, 2018

Ikon Full Member

Personally I see no benefit at all to recruiting inconsistent players.
    You want to be able to expect a top level performance week in week out.
  40. Apr 9, 2018

James Peril Full Member

Argh, Pereira isn’t good enough for Valencia - why on earth would he be good enough for Man Utd? Pereira is too skinny, he’s not suited for England.. dwells on the ball, not creating enough. Very average player, we want to compete with Real and Barca, not Valencia and Arsenal.