What next for Mourinho?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by 2cents, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Jan 6, 2019

GM K Full Member

Stop being too sensitive, read his comments again after the Sevilla game and you will find very little to disagree with in all he said. He was factual and realistic - we have indeed been poor in Europe in recent times (in terms of qualifications and winning trophies) prior to his coming. But unfortunately the truth hurts.

What I did dislike and will always dislike is how he set us up to play against Sevilla. That was painful and inexcusable as far as I am concerned.
  2. Jan 6, 2019

Kapardin Full Member

And wasn't his job to make us better? Didn't he say "forget the past" when he joined, and was given close to 400 million for transfers along with fat wages for his own trouble? Why bring up the past after Sevilla then?

Can't believe some are trying to justify that Sevilla presser debacle. We lost those games because of Mourinho, his tactics and his selection, not because of our "heritage".
  3. Jan 6, 2019

Shark @NotShark

He remains one of the most successful but he’s not a top manager anymore, come on. Had Chelsea in heading for relegation and had we kept him in charge God knows where we’d be lingering on the table. That’s not the work of a top manager. Even the man he’s mocked for over 10 years never sunk that low.
  4. Jan 6, 2019

broccoli Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Supports:
    FCPorto
    Very telling that this thread keeps getting bumped when he's minding his own business.
  5. Jan 6, 2019

Cloud7 Full Member

Willian on one wing, Perisic on the other. The ideal Mourinho wide attack :drool:
  6. Jan 6, 2019

POF Full Member

I think international football is ideal for him just now. He can live in London and have proper balance in his life. He can stay out of the limelight, will have limited time with his players so less chance to create a toxic environment and tactically for one off games he is still really good.

He won't want to do it because he'll see it as semi retirement but his reputation is shot at the moment and it would be the best way to rebuild it.
  7. Jan 6, 2019

MDFC Manager Full Member

So you mean to say Mourinho doesn't want to work anymore? That's the feeling I got towards the end of his reign anyways.
  8. Jan 6, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

we got beat by a team that never been in that position for 60 years and got beaten by Leicester in the previous year. What about their heritage?
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. Jan 6, 2019

AJ10 New Member

Jose needs to go to a club where both the club and the manager have similar understanding. United and jose was never going to be great match for long term (maybe short term but defo not long term) Jose requires Pep style backing and not what United as a club stand for. United IMO requires a manager who plays attacking football, wants to Improve young players and gives youth a chance etc.. not someone who will park the bus with attacking players (He definitely would have sold likes of Rashford, Martial, Shaw and replaced them with 30 year olds). My bet is Inter Milan.

His appointment is another example of how clueless Ed is, same goes for Moyes' and LVG (Hiring someone for max of 3 years ) appointments. Hopefully now we won't make the same mistake and go with someone whose style matches United's.
  10. Jan 6, 2019

GM K Full Member

Mourinho had every right to defend his tenure as much as you and I had every right to criticize him and the media had every right to turn the lights on him. What I am focused on is the comments you alluded to about 'heritage'. I am saying he was right when you actually assess the facts of his statements about United in Europe in recent years. People took it too far to say he was disrespecting the club. Mourinho has many faults but I have observed he gives his all to the clubs he manages. He had his issues with Woodward and some players not the fans or Manchester United as an entity/brand.

About the performance on the pitch against Sevilla, I think we are all pretty much agreed that was pathetic.

But I'll like to drop this. Mourinho is gone. Let's move on.
  11. Jan 6, 2019

Subho611 Full Member

Did he not know the expectations at United before taking up the job offer and asking for millions of dollars in wages? The moment he failed to deliver a bare minimum, he goes off hiding behind the poor recent record due to his equally inept predecessors. The reason why he was hired - and paid more - was to improve on in.

To then drag the club's reputation through the mud - even quoting the fact that he himself had knocked us out earlier - shows immense disrespect for the club and their fans. He should have just apologized for the shit-show and excused himself.
  12. Jan 6, 2019

Kapardin Full Member

He was using "heritage" to simply deflect criticism off his own failings. Surprised you can't see it. And the fact is, he was hypocritical to talk about heritage when he expressly said "forget the past" when he was hired.

He hasn't disrespected the club openly, but he certainly didn't give a shit about the club and was more concerned about his own reputation. Raising 3 fingers, constantly talking about Porto, Inter, Chelsea and Real, about his league titles with other clubs etc. He went to war with opposing fans by reminding them of his own titles won with other clubs, rather than creating a siege mentality and counting himself as one of us. I, Me, Mine was all he had during his tenure.

Woodward not backing him in the market became a convienient fall-back option when he failed.

FYI, I supported Mourinho's appointment and was a vocal backer until the start of this season. However, unlike previous clubs where he displayed some sort of togetherness with those clubs, he never seemed to care about being a representative of our club; he merely represented himself using our club as a prop and that itself was an insult to our club.

Lastly, talking about him doesn't mean we haven't moved on. I wish him all the luck in his next venture and hold no grudge against him. Doesn't mean we can't talk about it or refer to it; after all, you yourself back his right to talk about our heritage, why can;'t we talk about our past with him then!
  13. Jan 6, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

He needs to spend time with his family.
    For the record, I think he's a top manager. Not every manager has to have pressing/possession football philosophy. However, I think he's the kind of manager hat needs the club to buy into him and his baggage without question. He's a great underdog manager and I think he feels he needs that underdog mentality to survive.
    It's not a coincidence he has been most successful at the two clubs with the least resources.
    Manchester United or Real Madrid will never buy into Mourinho ideals. Their heritage would never allow it. They can stomach it for a bit but they will inevitably decide that it isn't worth it.
  14. Jan 6, 2019

GM K Full Member

I think we can agree to disagree. Frankly, I don't want to dwell on Mourinho. I want to enjoy our current form and winnings.
  15. Jan 6, 2019

Minimalist Full Member

God help whoever ends up with him. He's finished as a top manager. The man is broken.
  16. Jan 6, 2019

cyberman Full Member

He'll join a one team league, win a few things and out all his eggs into the CL basket to validate his achievement.
    He's a lock for PSG imo
  17. Jan 6, 2019

The Brown Bull Full Member

13 pages on this? What gives?
  18. Jan 6, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Something tells me we won't.
  19. Jan 6, 2019

GM K Full Member

While I disagree with your interpretation of his heritage comment and his commitment to United, I do agree with your last comment above.

Mourinho earned a lot of money when he was fired and is probably having time with his family now. United on the other hand is enjoying a resurgence. I am not sure my comments here mean anything to both really. But of course it is always delightful to discuss with open minded, balanced fans who want to look at all sides of issues.
  20. Jan 6, 2019

Borden Full Member

Yeah it’s just flogging a dead Jose at this point.
  21. Jan 6, 2019

Revaulx Full Member

QPR would be perfect for him:
    • Underdog
    • Close to his home
    • Current manager is Steve McClaren
    Time for him to go back to basics. I reckon he’d do ok.
  22. Jan 6, 2019

Moonred Full Member

Nothing better than some virtuous wannabe patronising on behalf of the clown.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  23. Jan 6, 2019

peridigm Full Member

He may have never said anything negative about Manchester United specifically as far as I am aware but the quotes are numerous of things he said with negative connotations towards the club history, players, Woodward, etc...

I especially like the one in his last press conference where he said no water? Are we saving money for January?
  24. Jan 6, 2019

Eplel New Member

"I am no longer Chelsea coach and I do not have to defend them any more," he told feelfootball.com. "I think it is correct if I say Drogba is a diver."

Source: Guardian.
  25. Jan 6, 2019

Crashoutcassius Full Member

His silverwear here + the FA cup final and the second place to the best ever prem side will probably have prospective employers conclude that he doesn't lack the ability but his methods of man management won't sit well with big stars for very long. His method will still probably work very well at a club that can overachieve and are relaxed about playing style.

Depends what your goal is as a club, might have been the worst possible club for him at united but plenty of clubs exist where he will fit
  26. Jan 6, 2019

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    I'm not even Jose's biggest fan anymore but I agree.

You can use what if scenarios for almost all great managers and teams in history.
  27. Jan 6, 2019

GM K Full Member

Sorry, but as far as I could observe, there is no concrete evidence he was out to disrespect the club and its legacy unless being frank or factual is being disrespectful. (And he just doesn't have that history in his career despite his many other faults).

He clearly had issues with Woodward as per transfer issues and some players.
  28. Jan 6, 2019

Red_toad Full Member

Speculated ideal attack. Barca were also strongly linked to Willian, but he joined neither club and there's nothing other than speculation. I love how people lap up media crap and put it out there as truth, only way we actually ever know is if either club states they received or made a bid, or if a Manager involved in the deal spills the beans.
    But anyways Perisic would have actually been a good signing, shame the club couldn't negotiate a deal for him if there was actual interest. As we were 100% signing Gatain and Garay for around 5 years at one point....
  29. Jan 6, 2019

K2K Full Member

People keep saying Bayern..

They would never hire him. The hierachy there despise him and his antics.
  30. Jan 6, 2019

Zoo Full Member

Hala..
  31. Jan 6, 2019

K2K Full Member

I think after Moyes we probably started putting no disclosure clauses when firing managers.

Even Van Gaal has barely said anything.

Jose disrespected the club while he was employed here. That's probably worse
  32. Jan 6, 2019

Red_Aaron Full Member

Thing is I'm not sure if he can go back to the whole underdog or unfancied club because he's now a manager that demands continuous and massive investment and when clubs spend that kind of money they don't accept his overly pragmatic football.
    I fear he's painted himself into a bit of a corner here and international management might be his best option.
    Real might give him another go cuz they're mad but it won't end well imo
  33. Jan 6, 2019

SirAF Ageist

Obviously won’t last long term (no one does), but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him win a La Liga or even CL with Real - then he could go into international football with his head held high.
  34. Jan 6, 2019

kaiser1 New Member

Supports:
    Bayern Munich
    The former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, who vigorously defended Didier Drogba against accusations of gamesmanship during his two years at Stamford Bridge, has undergone a surprising change of heart and now calls the Ivorian striker "a diver".

In March 2006, when Drogba appeared to admit to diving in a television interview, Mourinho sprung to his defence, calling him "a fighter". "He is the type of player I would say, 'With you I could go to every war,'" he said.

Now he suggests he was forced to say things he did not believe even at the time. "I am no longer Chelsea coach and I do not have to defend them any more," he told feelfootball.com. "I think it is correct if I say Drogba is a diver."
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/oct/22/premierleague-chelsea
  35. Jan 6, 2019

Red Star One Full Member

Yesterday I was getting drunk in a Portuguese bar and on the TV they were discussing chances of Mourinho taking over at Benfica. My Spanish is decent but Portuguese quite bad and I was already bombed, so can’t really say if they thought it was probable or not.
  36. Jan 6, 2019

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Going back to Madrid would be incredible. I'd follow every minute of it. The eventual meltdown would be even bigger this time round. It always is.
  37. Jan 6, 2019

dove Full Member

You should be a journalist, would fit right in :lol:
  38. Jan 6, 2019

Robbie Boy Full Member

For the neutrals it would be absolute comedy gold. Not so much for the Madrid fans.
  39. Jan 6, 2019

buckooo1978 Full Member

it would be the perfect storm if he went back to Madrid

can Jose take a job though - I wonder is there a clause in his contract with United that he can't take another job for a period as part of his settlement?
  40. Jan 6, 2019

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Yeah it would be a spectacle indeed. I bet Spanish journos are salivating at the prospect. Imagine the headlines.