What should be the priority for next year?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Judge Red, May 20, 2012.

1. May 20, 2012

Judge Red Don't Call Me Douglas

Even before Chelsea lifted the Champions League trophy last night, it was apparent that the days of us being able to win the Premer League and Champions League in the same year are over for the time being. The competition in both has gone up a level (when Barca remember how to score).

No shame in that, it was tough enough in the first place. But there's little denying that we allowed Europe to pass us by this season while we focused on the domestic battle with City. Hindsight makes that quite regrettable.

The league should always be taken seriously, it's every club's bread and butter, week in, week out, and if we were to go all out to get back to Wembley again next year to win Sir Alex his third CL, that doesn't mean a season where we finish 6th in the table should be acceptable - or anywhere outside of the top two and out of the title race with months to go.

But what is the priority? For fans and the club? Champions League glory or winning the title back from City? For me it's got to be giving everything to get to another CL final at Wembley, even though 'home advantage' hasn't been much of an advantage at all over the previous two seasons. That 20th title would be lovely but that perch has been seen to with the 19th... A third European Cup seals Fergie's rep as the undisputed greatest of all time and gives him his happy ending.

At the same time, it's worth pointing out that we had no European football to distract us in this run-in and it turned out to be arguably our worst.
  2. May 20, 2012

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

League is the highest priority. But with the squad we have, especially with a few additions here and there, no reason why we can't all the competitions we're in a good go.
  3. May 20, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Last night proved what a crap-shoot the Champion's League is. Would be ridiculous to prioritise a competition where luck can play such a big part.

Our priority should be the same as every season. Win the league. If we do well in Europe, so much the better.
  4. May 20, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

The league is the priority, always will be.

But obviously we want to do better in the CL, and I want us to give the FA Cup a real good go. It's been too long since we last won it.
  5. May 20, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Was it?
  6. May 20, 2012

togg Full Member

the League without a doubt. Not only because its the hardest thing to win, but because I want it back from City. At the end of the day, the Champions League is a cup competition and certainly not the same as in the old days when ONLY the league winners of each country competed in it. That really was a competition of the best of the best which in my mind had more kudos. Once they let all the other 2nd's, 3rd's etc in, it almost has become a slightly higher Europa League competition.

Actually, you know what I want....the League and FA Cup double...we haven't won the later for a while...that double would be so brilliant.
  7. May 20, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Yeah, that would do nicely.
  8. May 20, 2012

#07 Full Member

Win back the league. Don't want to City win back to back titles.
  9. May 20, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

What they said. The league is always #1 as far as I'm concerned.
  10. May 20, 2012

gooDevil Worst scout ever

Buying really expensive players and making billboards about their arrival to place around Manchester.
  11. May 20, 2012

JohnLocke Full Member

All tournaments have a large slice of luck involved to win them. Its just the nature of the beast.

I think, as always, the league should be the priority. The league is the cake and the rest is the icing.

Would be nice to lift the FA cup again.
  12. May 20, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

I want the fa cup, but you don't prioritise that.

The league and champions league once again.
  13. May 20, 2012

Devil may care Full Member

In general I'd agree but for Fergie I'd take another CL win over the Prem title before he retires, he loves that competition and I think he deserves to lift big ears one more time.
  14. May 20, 2012

17Larsson Not a malefactor just a lagomorph

Of course it's still possible to win both. A whole twelve months ago the two finalists were also league winners. The league is always priority though
  15. May 20, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

Yes I would love that. The League and FA Cup double would be great. I really want to win the FA Cup again. We're the most successful side in it, and now it's been close to a decade since we last won it. That needs sorting IMO.
  16. May 20, 2012

ghaliboy Snitches on Tom Hagen

Despite the last 5 years yielding three attempts at a League and European double?

Ok.
  17. May 20, 2012

Smores Full Member

All you can do is reduce the risk in cup competitions as there's always going to the chance of a mistake or an off game.

League is the only true measure of quality so will always be my the trophy I desire the most.

However I don't think we really prioritize any competition over another (apart from the mickey mouse cup which we ignore). We go into every match to win
  18. May 20, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

The league is your bread and butter, it's over a 38 game period. Whoever finishes top of the league deserves it, the table doesn't lie.

But in competitions, luck plays a huge part. Also in one-off games a dodgy decision can be important as well. As we seen in 2005 with Liverpool and this season with Chelsea, you can be far from the best team in the country, but somehow win the CL.

I guess we were fortunate that in 1999 and 2008, we went into both CL finals as English champions, and we went through the competition undefeated both times which made us fully deserving of being crowned European champions.

The league should remain priority, but I really want us to win the FA Cup again, it's been far too long. But you have to admit, there's something very, very special about being in the CL final. Two of the greatest days of my life have been the 1999 and 2008 CL finals.
  19. May 20, 2012

Judge Red Don't Call Me Douglas

Those are the years that I think are gone, though. I mean, take a step back and even winning one of them next season is as big a challenge as Fergie has ever had. To successfully juggle both will take the good fortune and 'destiny' that was missing this year. I doubt City could do it next season either - as long as we do our job. As for trebles, they're priceless.

Everyone's right, though. Of course we should give our all in both. It's just not so easy when it means a two-legged semi with Barca sandwiching a six pointer in the league.
  20. May 20, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

This.

The League should always be the first priority but there's no denying the fact that CL finals are great and wonderful nights to be a part of.
  21. May 20, 2012

Siorac Full Member

As a fan, League's the priority, that's the best indicator of quality.

As for the club: it's a lot better to win the CL (or get to the semis at least) and finish 3rd in the league than win the league and go out in the group stage. Financially we can't afford another shite European performance next season.
  22. May 20, 2012

Cina Jimmy Lumsden (Moderator)

Well I wouldn't mind getting out of the group stages at least.
  23. May 20, 2012

Leroy The Red Full Member

I dunno, I know Chelsea, and Liverpool in 2005 got hilariously lucky but most of the time, only great sides win the Champions League.
  24. May 20, 2012

Yup. Other than those 2 haven't the best sides in Europe generally won it for the last 10 years at least?

Hence the "most"
  25. May 20, 2012

Chabon Full Member

The same thing we do every year Judgey, try to win the premier league.

I'm not sure about the last 10 years, but the last four prior to this one were pretty amazing. The two best teams in Europe playing each other in the Champion's League final.
  26. May 20, 2012

The Milan side of 2007 were a great side. 3 Finals in 5 years at the time. Barcelona with Ronaldinho and Etoo in 2006. 2004 was a strange year, the big teams went out pretty early but Porto were still a really good side. 2003 THAT Milan side and 2002 the Real Galacticos so yeah I'd say ten years is fair. And if you keep going back its still great sides winning it.
  27. May 20, 2012

Basically, to say the Champions League is a crap shoot and full of luck because of what happened with Chelsea this year is stupid.
  28. May 20, 2012

IrishLegend Full Member

European Cup every day. We hold the domestic league record but are still 2 off the scouses European record. We need to out do them in Europe to truely knock them off their perch once and for all.
  29. May 20, 2012

Hectic Full Member

Can't see why it would change either. The league will and should always be our priority.
  30. May 20, 2012

Chabon Full Member

Well, I was merely saying that the last four finals were remarkable in that they featured the top two teams in Europe. As to the question of who are the best side in European each season, I'm not sure if you can really be the best in Europe if you don't even get close to winning your title. Those Milan sides came third and fourth, Madrid came third in 2002.
  31. May 20, 2012

Will Absolute Full Member

We should try to win both, as we've done in the past. No change.
  32. May 20, 2012

You reckon Bayern of 2010 were better than Barca? Were they even really better than us?
    Serie A was really strong in 2003, Juventus had a great side, whereas Chelsea and Liverpool in winning the European Cup have finished behind teams like Newcastle and Everton. In 2007 Milan had the points deduction also.
    Real coming 3rd in 02 was pretty shocking but that team had Zidane, Raul, Figo, Makelele etc. On paper it didn't get much better.
  33. May 20, 2012

Eyepopper Lowering the tone since 2006

The priority should be to improve on this season both in terms of how we perform and our league position, therefore winning the title is probably a realistic aim.

There are more games in the league than any other competition so that should always be our priority in terms of playing well and developing the team.

In Europe its something similar, play well, go as far as you can, but the league is more important in terms of measuring the team and as an overall strategic target.
  34. May 20, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I don't think we can afford to priorotise the Champions League. There's a lot more luck involved in it than in the league, and look at what has happened to other sides who really want it. Real Madrid have been after it again for a decade, have had several sides capable of winning it, but just can't seem to find a way. Then, of course, there's Chelsea. It's taken Abramovic 9 years to get there and he somehow did with what was his worse team. If he win it, I'd be over the moon, but it's dangerous to pritorise something that we're more unlikely to win compared to that league, and that has a lot of luck involved as well.

I agree with those saying that the FA Cup would be nice to win again. Been a while now, 8 years, with 5 years since we got to the final. It shouldn't be a priority at all, but I'd like to see us taking it seriously and not simply fielding reserve sides in it.
  35. May 20, 2012

Moston Red Formerly Giggs1973

The Premiership, CL and then the FA cup.
  36. May 20, 2012

sammsky1 Full Member

Winning the premier league and a domestic cup (to give enough big game experience to younger players) is a MUST.

But we MUST get to the knock out stage of the European Champions League too, if only so we avoid the idiocy of the Europa Cup!
  37. May 20, 2012

AARRONB06 Full Member

When did we turn into Liverpool with priorities? We are United we play to win everything possible. Obvious the league is bread and butter. Cups are a bonus.
  38. May 20, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    There shouldn't be any priority, or resting players for fecking group matches in the Champions League, look where that got us? Apart from the Carling Cup (we always use youth in those games), put out a team capable of completing the objective as soon as possible, and then rest players when it's possible to do.
  39. May 20, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Tbh if i'd the choice next season i'd take the Champions League. Watchin the Chelsea fans last night just reminded me how there is no better feeling than winning it. We should have won it more than 3 times. However, to prioritise it would be a mistake, as there's so much riding on luck along the way. The no.1 priority will always be the league.
  40. May 20, 2012

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    The League always is the number one priority.

Only then the CL.