What's going in with our players contracts?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by charlenefan, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jan 2, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Is no one else concerned about how we've been dealing with our players contracts recently? Obviously a few years back De Gea was what a season away from being able to walk for free (until we tied him down after the Fax machine incident) but looking at the situation now all the following are technically free to leave in the summer

Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Michael Carrick
    Daley Blind
    Marouane Fellaini
    Ashley Young
    Juan Mata
    Luke Shaw
    Ander Herrera

I assume we may have this new additional year bolt on that we used on Fellaini last year attached to most but even then it still leaves us with players with only a year left on their contracts

Anyone know who currently only had 2 years left at the start of the season i.e. will only have 1 year as of August?
  2. Jan 2, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

Mata, Shaw, and Herrera are the only ones there I want to keep, really, so not that bothered. It is a bit concerning that the club waits so long to renew these days, though.
  3. Jan 2, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Nah.

Zlatan and Carrick are too old and will be gone anyway. Herrera and Shaw have +1 clauses, I believe? Maybe Mata too? The others aren't of any concern.
  4. Jan 2, 2018

Santos J Full Member

Herrera, Blind, Young, Mata & Shaw all have options to extend so they aren't free to leave. Zlatan & Carrick will be leaving so there's nothing wrong with that, Fellaini we've tried to renew but he isn't sure or whatever was going on with that.
  5. Jan 2, 2018

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

Zlatan will go off course. I like Carrick a lot, but it might be the time now to retire for him. Blind is someone that we will not be able to sell so not a big loss. Think we should try to keep Young he is doing well. Fellaini can really go as I hope we can move away from the football that suits him. I am happy to keep him though, but nothing I would worry over. I like Mata, but he is not getting any younger. Would still consider keeping him.

Not sure if Shaw got a future here so would not worry very much. Think we can keep Herrera too his attitude and teamwork is good to have in a squad player.
  6. Jan 2, 2018

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

Fellaini will worry Mourinho, but I don't think the majority here will miss him a lot. He is functional and can be good when you are hoofing it and going long, but if we want to improve our football he is not the solution. I hope Mctominay can step up and that we can add one central midfielder in the summer.
  7. Jan 2, 2018

deafepl Full Member

Herrera, Blind and Shaw will stay for one more season without signing a new contract with us because United have an option to trigger 1-year extension. Zlatan and Carrick will be leaving and Fellaini are likely going to leave so United will be replacing them with new two CMs in summer according to Jose Mourinho.
  8. Jan 2, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Yeah, I would like to keep him as well, but it's not a disaster if he leaves.
  9. Jan 2, 2018

IAmAWinner New Member

Fellaini, Young, Mata and Shaw should stay. Herrera will be fighting for his future, he has been shocking this season, although better against Everton. Blind is awful and will leave. Carrick and Ibra unfortunately too old and too injury prone. Carrick needs to get his health back.
  10. Jan 2, 2018

RuudTom83 Full Member

Apart from Zlatan none of those are Mourinho’s buys so if anything it might be a blessing to let them go.

Mata, Herrera and Shaw are names you initially want to keep! but those are the areas Jose will want to improve the most over then next few transfer windows.
  11. Jan 2, 2018

Dolf Full Member

I believe Young's +1 option has been triggered in november. I think the club will wait untill april/may to decide of Zlatan / Carrick and Shaw to see if they can add something to the squad.
  12. Jan 2, 2018

cyril C Full Member

Yes, I believe Fellaini (+ Carrick and Ibra) are the only player at risk of walking out for free.
  13. Jan 2, 2018

Nickosaur Full Member

Supports:
    United/Brighton & Hove
    Carrick - hopefully stay on as a coach. But I think his playing career is over, unfortunately (and probably safest bet, considering his heart issue).

Zlatan - I think he's too old to justify his wages. He's done well to get back so soon, and is still a beast physically...but smart option would be to let him go IMO.

Young/Herrera/Shaw/Mata - keep them around.

Fellaini - seems to have rejected an offer from us? He's been in good form and it would be a shame to see him go on a free but I don't think he would be a huge loss.

Blind - Let go.
  14. Jan 2, 2018

noodlehair "It's like..."

Shaw, Blind and Young comprise the entirety of our options at left back, so unless the club already has two or three better left backs confirmed to replace them, it seems pretty dumb to not have any of them tied down, regardless of whether they are "United quality" or not.

That is also far too many players to lose in one go without the season after being a mess.

Woodward et al have proven far too prone to doing dumb things to believe there is anything more to it than that.
  15. Jan 2, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

Honestly I want to upgrade every single one of those guys.

Carrick has had a long distinguished career for us but is now unwell. We should support him with his health the best we can and offer him a coaching role at the club whenever he feels ready for it.

Zlatan was wonderful for a short period and was cut down by injury. At the end of the season he should be let go, but also offered a coaching role if he wants it. The man is a winner and could contribute to reviving a successful attitude around the club.

Young has played his part as a steady squad player for years. I'd like to see his contract extended as he still has something to give. It's not world beating but it's consistent.

The rest have been good in patches only. Only DDG and arguably Valencia have been consistently good for us post Fergie. You can blame loads of factors but in the end none of them will be remembered as Manchester United players.
  16. Jan 2, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Young, Shaw and Herrera will stay. Mata is debatable but the rest looks certain to leave for me.
  17. Jan 2, 2018

Caspern0904 New Member

I like Mata for his "working hard attitude",but in his age, i think he should play every week, and he probably thinks the same, but a good reserve to keep.

Herrera good to keep too. Loyal and good aggressive type to have in the squad.

Shaw has something to prove in the next months. Could be a keep, if we fail to buy a better.

I'll rather buy a new LB, and then use some young talent, than keeping Young, Blind and Shaw. But Young could be a good reserve, for many positions.

Fellini has done well and scored important goals, but should go.

Zlatan and Carrick are just to old and slow. I want more pace!
  18. Jan 2, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

MEN seem to think Herrera's one year option has been taken up. There was news that Shaw's was taken in the summer.
  19. Jan 2, 2018

dichinero Banned

We need to do a Levy. No one is ever out of contract
  20. Jan 2, 2018

They will be in 18 months time though that's the point, it's like this 1 year bolt on is an excuse not to get our players tied down to longer deals. Once upon a time the minute one of our players hit 2 years left on their deal we'd be resigning them up (or selling them)

This new tactic under the Woodward regime is not one I'm a fan of
  21. Jan 2, 2018

kundalini Full Member

If you mean 2019 + 1 year option (in most instances, though possibly not all), then the list is:

Rojo, Smalling, De Gea, Valencia, Martial, Jones, Darmian and also Andreas Pereira

2020 + 1 year option (2 year option in Bailly's case):

Rashford, Matic, Bailly, Mkhitaryan,
  22. Feb 28, 2018

Bumping this in light of the recent Daily Mail article

23. Feb 28, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Annoying. The club should really be on the forefront when it comes to extending contracts well in advance.
  24. Feb 28, 2018

edgar allan Full Member

I am concerned that an Arsenal type situation would develop with the chaos that develops with players in the last year of contracts and uncertainty on both sides regarding the long term plan.
    De Gea should be asking to match Pogba's wage and he certainly would deserve it.

In respect of Blind and Young I couldn't see their contracts being extended.
    If Fellaini thinks he is worth more than his current 150K , he should jog (slowly) on.
    Martial must look at Lingards 100k and think he is poorly paid. He will be looking to double his money at least.
    Rojo needs to prove himself following his injury so I can see why the club might park that one at the moment.

Mata and Herrera are the uncertain ones, I do think we need better players in midfield, and one might go in the summer but in the absence of any replacements we would need existing players signed up. I guess it will depend on the transfer spend and dealings in the summer.
  25. Feb 28, 2018

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Won't be joining any top level club after us and it was anyway 1+1 year deal
    Michael Carrick - Is retiring
    Daley Blind - Contract is till 2019. Is anyway not in plans for future. We were close to selling him in Jan as well.
    Marouane Fellaini - Probably no one expected him to run down the deal. This one is on club, at least should have got some money for him. Not that most care about him leaving.
    Ashley Young - Young not getting young. Won't be a big loss if he leaves, should be back up only if stays.
    Juan Mata - Already contract has been extended by one year.
    Luke Shaw - There is one year option, he should re-sign eventually.
    Ander Herrera - Contract is till 2019. If he is in plans, extend now or sell in summer.

I think we can do better on contract renewal cycles but it is not that bad.
  26. Feb 28, 2018

AndyJ1985 Full Member Verified Moaner

Aside from Mata and Herrera I don't think it's anything to worry about. We wouldn't miss any of the other players if they left tomorrow. And indeed several of those players certainly will be leaving

I'm more concerned with getting De Gea signed to a new contract
  27. Feb 28, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

I think this is a ridiculous strategy.

Yes it’s saving us money by not renewing contracts until last year. But it also a risky strategy when someone like Martial is in the last year of his contract and a lot of teams will be after him giving him a nice sign on fee. We either have to pay him a lot more which means we can forget about the saving we were going to make by having his contract in the last year.
  28. Feb 28, 2018

pascell Full Member

With regards to De Gea, the only positive form the DM article was that we're confident he'll renew.

I think we're still not convinced on Shaw long term, he's still got a lot to prove and with the extension, we've got time to see how he does.
  29. Feb 28, 2018

Mr H Full Member

I don't see why people are worried. it's normal. Mata will be 31 years at the end of the contract and we have a policy of a one year rolling contract for playes overs 30. The other ones are either finishing their carrier next year or not worth re signing0. if we give fellaini a good salary to renew, we won't find a suitable buyer for him and he's clearly not in the plans anymore. Young isn't young and as you said carrick is retiring.

Martial is still contracted till 2019 + 1 (2020, that's more than two years for now and we're discussing a renewal with him).

The only potential problems we have with contracts are Shaw's one and Herrera, i would even say just Herrera as Shaw at the begining of the year looked like he was going to be shipped out, it makes sense that we didn't offer him a contract. i'm pretty sure that he'll get one now as he's regained form.

Herrera i don't know, apparently we've been negociating with him since the begining of the season.
  30. Feb 28, 2018

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Yup. In case of Shaw as well, if we are to believe Mourinho, contract extension is matter of time.
  31. Feb 28, 2018

Turnip Full Member

A lot of it feels like we simply don't want to renew or it's already in the pipeline. I feel like letting some contracts run down is the only way to get rid of some players. Who's going to offer a decent fee for Fellaini and want to beat our wages? I'm more than happy to see people going for free rather than giving new contracts for the hell of it, that's how we ended up with the recent major deadwood problem in the first place.

That said, get Martial and Shaw's signed ASAP, Jose may not value them enough but most other clubs would and we all know Jose's record of selling youth with potential.
  32. Feb 28, 2018

Fluctuation0161 Full Member

How much do we trust this Daily Mail article? Much of it could be conjecture.
  33. Feb 28, 2018

FootyGirl88

Jose has already said that Shaw will get a new deal and will be at the club for years to come.

Carrick will retire at the end of the season, i think Blind will leave as well along with Ibrahimovic and Fellaini.

Young, Mata and Herrera will probably leave the season after next.

I do think Woodward is unnecessarily dragging his feet with Shaw and Martial's new contracts. We need to get those two sorted ASAP.
  34. Feb 28, 2018

Which is my thinking as well though I'm not sure some of the players we're letting go on a free should be let go
  35. Feb 28, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

No one else is going to offer those players what we can anyway. There's not much danger, assuming we do want to keep most. Those that we don't should go in the summer after the +1 is activated.
  36. Feb 28, 2018

Offsideagain Full Member

Young and Blind have a years extension activated.
  37. Feb 28, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Mourinho was talking about Shaw and a new contract not so long back. Carrick's retiring anyway. Young and Mata are in their 30s now so will probably be moved on anyway. Herrera has fallen out of favour so wouldn't be shocked to see him sold in the summer, only played I'd be a bit upset at leaving for the remaining would be Fellaini as he offers a unique skill set although I think McTominay is being groomed to play that role.
  38. Feb 28, 2018

Luke1995 Full Member

Luke Shaw is the only one with a long term future here. Young is 32, soon to be 33 and Mata is just too slow. I'd offer Herrera a new deal but many people are complaining about his performances this season. Zlatan and Carrick's time seems to be up. Blind is not good enough for United.
  39. Feb 28, 2018

Roeindo New Member

For those listed player, i can only see Shaw as the player worth to give an extention contract. They are all squad player

I can see no problem if we give the chance to our academy player.

The problem is why we let them go for free while other club let their squad player go for 10 or 20 m plus?
  40. Feb 28, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

I hope we're not going to start being like Arsenal when it comes to dithering over contracts.