What's going on Arsenal?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by ROFLUTION, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dec 13, 2017

ROFLUTION Full Member

I would be absolutely fuming if this was our club:
    • Their main 2 key players, just running out of contracts (and Jack Wheelchair's too)
    • A manager who no one really believes in. Probably also gone in the summer
    • 7th in the league
    • Not even taking Europa League seriously
    • Their biggest talent is Iwobi
    • Fail to invest big again and again and again.
    • Eboue
    So, where will they be in 2 years? how far will they sink? I mean what star players or talent wants to spend the prime of their career at such an unambitious club?

Sorry if there was any other threads similar on the overall subject, couldn't find any
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2017
  2. Dec 13, 2017

Reynoldo Full Member

Saw Cheech hit the underside of the bar right at the end too so they should have lost.
  3. Dec 13, 2017

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Stan Kroenke, Wenger, DT.

I feel sort of sorry for them. Actually, no I don't. Their fans become unbearable when they're remotely successful!
  4. Dec 13, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Wenger's coats need better zips.
  5. Dec 13, 2017

el3mel Full Member

They're a club with zero ambition, and zero planning for the future. That's it. It would have been normal their guaranteed spot in top4 would be taken out by other teams sooner or later, because all other teams have future projects, while Arsenal board being delusional.

Whatever our positions were in the previous years, I liked the ideas of Ed keeping trying, getting top managers and singing players to make us return, even if he failed at some appointments or signings at least he was trying. Arsenal aren't trying whatsoever, they have zero ambition.
  6. Dec 13, 2017

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Wenger will be Arsenal manager next season..
  7. Dec 13, 2017

Ban Full Member

They're shite.
  8. Dec 13, 2017

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Still every chance they'll finish top 4 this season so I don't get the panic right now tbh, especially as Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool are equally as patchy but I would really worry if they go into next season with no Ozil, no Sanchez and no UCL because then they're looking decidedly more like a top 7 side than a top 4 one
  9. Dec 13, 2017

Kostur Full Member

They've become shit because of people like Eboue.
  10. Dec 13, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

Don’t care. One less club in the top six to worry about. Hope a few more of them lose key players to abroad.
  11. Dec 13, 2017

ROFLUTION Full Member

He's said they'll have a chat in the summer and evaluate - he doesn't rule anything out. If Özil and Sanchez leaves, he'll leave too I think - He will get nowhere in the league without them, leaving his legacy even worse to end on a bad note.
  12. Dec 13, 2017

Eboue nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions

Supports:
    Arsenal
    no bueno
  13. Dec 13, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    Goes without saying but, they really need to get back in the CL this year and hope at least one of Ozil or Sanchez stays or they're gonna be fecked. Trying to replace two world-class players who they've received no money for, whilst they have other areas of the team they still need to fix as well (CB, CM, DM) whilst not having CL football to offer.

Also they have a bunch of players in the last year of contracts next season as well like Ramsey, Welbeck, Walcott, which means they've either gotta true and shift them in the summer or risk losing them for free as well. Or commit silly money (I mean what are these guys on a week, £90k-120k probably already) for pretty average players.

I mentioned this a minute ago on another thread, but really their only hope is to get rid of Wenger and hope a new manager can come in and get the likes of Ramsey, Coquelin, Xhaka, Mustafi playing much better because they're likely gonna have too many holes to fix in the summer for one window.

EDIT: Also money can't be seen as any issue these days. According to Transferleague they've spent ~£180m net over the last 5 seasons. Chelsea have only spent about £10m more, whilst Liverpool have spent around £60m less. Spurs have virtually broke even with their spending over the same period.

Chelsea have won 2 titles and made the CL semi's, whilst both Liverpool and Spurs have come much closer to winning the title than Arsenal have and both are likely to finish above them again this year.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  14. Dec 13, 2017

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    He said that last year too!
  15. Dec 13, 2017

Ivor Ballokov Full Member

They're one point off fourth.
  16. Dec 13, 2017

SuperiorXI Full Member

They won the passing against us
  17. Dec 13, 2017

InfiniteBoredom Full Member

The way Arsenal were run over the last season or two you can be forgiven for thinking it was a deliberate sabotage by Wenger.

Sanchez has been angling for a move for eons and Ozil was openly angling for more money which they weren't prepared to give. Instead of taking the hit of selling them and reinvest, he's done feck all and now they are getting nowhere with both in the team and will receive piss all next summer. That board ain't gonna bankroll a 150m+ summer splurge so it'll get harder and harder to get top 4 with each passing year.
  18. Dec 13, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

They're a fecking mess of a club tbh. How they've let their two star players run down their contracts is quite unbelievable. If they don't re-sign which looks highly unlikely then they're going to have to either sell them in January to get some money for them or let them go for free in the summer. It's just a lack of competence from the board people who seem absolutely clueless to the manager who is well past it and should've left years ago but sticks around like a bad smell.
  19. Dec 13, 2017

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

Yep, fans will be annoyed with this season so far but I imagine the higher ups will be pretty calm about things.

One point off their target and a plan B into the Champions League which they're one of the big favourites for.
  20. Dec 13, 2017

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Could still easily finish top 4.

Self inflicted problems but likes of Liverpool and Chelsea haven't been that much better really this season.

Arsenal in their current state are probably doing the best they can.

Previous seasons they should've put up a much better challenge to win the league, not this one.
  21. Dec 13, 2017

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

Well nah, but Chelsea can at least say they've won two of the last three title challenges, and can generally expect to be in the mix. With Arsenal top four challenges as a high-point have basically become the norm.
  22. Dec 13, 2017

U99ted Full Member

They are through and don't have to think about it until the round of 32 in February.
  23. Dec 13, 2017

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I know but I was on about this season. Arsenal haven't been great but Chelsea have thrown in some shocking performances alongside solid runs of form. Arsenal had the better of the 0-0 at Stamford Bridge aswell so as the table shows just a couple of points between the clubs.

When your best players want to leave it destabilize the whole club. Everyone saw how badly Liverpool declined after Suarez went and Spurs also struggled for a while after Bale went.

Begs the question Arsenal probably should've let Alexis and Ozil leave in the summer but then given they just had europa league they probably couldn't have attracted the same quality so it's a catch 22 unless people think Thomas Lemar would've inspired them to a title challenge.

This season top 4 and winning a cup is realistically the best they can do. It's the best Manchester United and Chelsea can do.

The season Leicester won the league Arsenal should've done much better, that's obvious.

Edit: Wenger should've gone years ago. Only die hard Gooners would dispute that.
  24. Dec 13, 2017

Irish Jet Full Member

Supports:
    Anyone but Rashford
    Sanchez has one foot out the door. His performances have been pretty disgraceful all season.

Ozil has actually stepped up, even if it's just to get himself more money in his next move/contract but the whole atmosphere around the club has been strange. Wenger needed to leave after the FA Cup win. It's just all so stale.
  25. Dec 13, 2017

Guy Incognito Full Member

Same shit different season.

What happened to their 10 year plan?

I just think they were ambitious as far as building a stadium and when Chelsea and City upped the game, they took a step back.
  26. Dec 13, 2017

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Kroeneke took over at that point....

I actually think David Dein leaving them in 2007 stopped the club pushing for the best. Him and Wenger got on really well and pushed each other in getting good players in and going for title. Wenger's been on easy street since then with no one on the board really challenging him to get better finishes in the league.
  27. Dec 13, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    Chelsea are a bit shit this year too yeah, but the point is that they are in a much healthier than Arsenal going forward. They have a better squad with more world-class players (well, they certainly WILL do by the summer when Sanchez and Ozil are gone) and they'll probably get rid of Conte in the summer, get another world-class manager in and he'll get said players performing much better, they'll spend a bit of money and be back to challenging for the title again. Even if they are somewhat in a similar position of potentially losing a world-class player (Hazard), they've got him tied down to a long-term deal and will get massive money for him.
  28. Dec 13, 2017

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Of course because Abramovich sacks any manager who dosen't look like he can win the league or compete in the champions league.

Kroenke is building another ranch....

Drive stems from the top. Fergie had it, Mourinho has it, Moyes and LVG really didn't so that's why Man. United had their differing seasons they did until those managers.

There's little of that at Arsenal whatever Gazidis comes out with.
  29. Dec 14, 2017

Steven Seagull Full Member

That was about as Arsenal as it gets tonight. Get the ball in midfield, few passes, into Girouds feet then crowded out trying to play an impossible 1-2. Was even annoying me and I don’t want them to win
  30. Dec 14, 2017

izec Full Member

I am not sure i would back Arsenal in a top 4 race against Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool. Liverpool are shit defensively, but they have Mane, Coutinho and Salah dragging them through, while Arsenal are struggling a bit offensively
  31. Dec 14, 2017

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

Lmao isn’t it hilarious
  32. Dec 14, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    You'd probably back Arsenal in the same manner you would Liverpool (i.e. great attack dragging through an average-to-shit defence) if Ozil, Sanchez and Lacazette were all firing, shame that two of them don't want to be at the club and the other is continually benched for seemingly no reason.
  33. Dec 14, 2017

izec Full Member

Well yeah, thats a big difference. Even if they beat Liverpool, they would still need to overtake one of Chelsea/Spurs, who are simply better and more stable than them. They are missing out on the CL for me, unless they win the Europa League
  34. Dec 14, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

Sanchez has given up and doesn't want to be there, utter madness on Arsenals part not to sell.

Ozil is going to leave too. Bar those 2, I don't think they have any real top players in their starting 11.
  35. Dec 14, 2017

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    While I don't think he is an elite striker I simply don't understand Wenger's reluctance to start Lacazette, it's baffling.
  36. Dec 14, 2017

Member 5225 Guest

yes! feck that!
  37. Dec 14, 2017

T A New Member

*What's going on in the last 13 years Arsenal?
  38. Dec 14, 2017

Robbie Boy Full Member

Wenger believes in players like Welbeck. Enough said.
  39. Dec 14, 2017

ThierryHenry wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

We’ve been appallingly run over the last three years.
  40. Dec 14, 2017

GifLord The gif that keeps on giffing

[​IMG]

Wonder how many of the players that have less than 2 years left are gonna get a contract extension.