Where did the name "Red Devils" come from?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by John_K, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Feb 18, 2004

John_K Youth Team Player

Does anyone know how it came about and if we had another one before it?
  2. Feb 18, 2004

Mr. Wood Circle Jerkin' Wannabe

From what I understand, in the early 1900s, United shared a ground with a rugby team called the Heathens. United ended up adopting the name, which eventually became Red Devils.

I've heard another theory, though I believe the above one is accepted. When United were known as Newton Heath, they were dubbed the heathens ... you know the rest.
  3. Feb 18, 2004

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    The Rugby team association of the name is what is generally accepted. Time seems to be 40 or 50s. The Spanish name of El Diablo being mentioned.
  4. Feb 18, 2004

BahamaRed Legend

From http://www.manutdzone.com/atoz/r.html

Manchester United are know as "The Red Devils". Why? I hear you ask. Was the club founded by Salford Satanists? The answer is no (although when they where known as Newton Heath they did get called "the Heathens" which is also a bit irreligious). From the change of name in 1902, Manchester United FC were nicknamed simply "The Reds" or "United" until the media dubbed them "The Busby Babes" in the mid 1950's. However, after the Munich disaster in 1958 that name was no longer appropriate.

In the early 1960's Salford Rugby club toured France wearing red shirts and became known as "The Red Devils". Manager Sir Matt Busby liked the sound of it, thinking that a nasty devil is more intimidating to opponents than angelic babes. He declared Manchester United should also be known as the "The Red Devils" and soon the club began incorporating the devil logo into match programmes and scarves. In 1970 the club badge was redesigned, but now with a cheeky wee devil in the centre holding a pitch-fork.

The United club crest had originally been the City of Manchester coat of arms. During the mid 60's it became similar to the current design but instead of the devil in the centre it had 3 diagonal yellow lines. Click here to see the evolution of the Manchester United club badge.

The "devil badge" was incorporated onto the home shirt for the first time in 1973. It has since remained virtually unchanged (although in 1998 the words "Football club" were removed to much annoyance of die-hard fans) and has become one of the most instantly recognisable commercial symbols in the world. Recently the club introduced the official "fun" matchday mascot "Fred the Red" - a giant Red Devil (who has his own line of less-than-popular kids merchandise).

The question remains, if indeed United are in league with the dark lord Satan then why are they so successful and Southampton (The Saints), Everton (A Church adjoins their stadium) so rubbish? After all God would surely give his teams all the luck. Of course, Manchester United have a club Chaplain, The Rev John Boyers. Maybe he does a lot of good work to ensure that never-ending supply of last minute goals....
  5. Feb 18, 2004

Red Dreams Full Member

6. Feb 18, 2004

John_K Youth Team Player

Thanks for that. I like the badge with the three stripes in the center better than the current though, wish we stayed with that one.
  7. Feb 18, 2004

Red Dreams Full Member

Actually I love the Red Devil. Maybe that is what I got used to and I could not imagine United without the Devil now.
  8. Feb 18, 2004

Cal? I always Loyalty CR7

Just be glad we don't have a comic-like design like Arsenal do. :smirk:
  9. Feb 18, 2004

MelvinYeo I'm only here for the post count

Exactly.

the arses badge is a crap one, basically one cannon and that's it.
  10. Feb 18, 2004

Murt Banned

Be thankful we dont have a chicke on it like the dippers :houllier:
  11. Feb 18, 2004

:lol: :lol:
  12. Feb 18, 2004

WeasteDevil Guest

Nicked it of my local rugby team. :devil:
  13. Feb 18, 2004

Red Dreams Full Member

I thought it was a fowl or stalk...whatever.
  14. Feb 18, 2004

Red_Molly Banned

Two versions that I've heard.

First: when Newton Heath LYR FC (The Heathens) emerged from near extinction in 1902 as Manchester United they adopted a new red kit, and it isn't too far a stretch to link that to The Red Devils, particulalry with The Welsh Wizard on the field. Those were the days when every team had to have a 'nickname' in the press - Throstles (Baggies), Shakers etc. but it sounds too pat to be true. Did MEN or Manchester Guardian call them Red Devils?

Second: In the early 50's United had the basis of what was to be dubbed in the press "the Busby Babes", a term disliked by the manager for its child-like connotations. His players were anything but and he preferred The Red Devils. Now whether he coined that name or was merely re-emphasising an existing one I don't know, but reportedly that was in the '50's.
  15. Feb 18, 2004

Plechazunga Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan

Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
    I heard it was in honour of Devilish, who was instrumental in the policy of grooming young talent

;)
  16. Feb 18, 2004

rockwater Banned

IMO the current one or the pre-1998 ones are best. The red devil is a lot less generic than the striped shield.
  17. Feb 19, 2004

Dragon_Merah Full Member

class.. :lol:
  18. Feb 19, 2004

Chiring Full Member

My sentimeents exactly mate...But more then that im glad we dnt have something like them scousers do....tat wud be sad... :yawn:
  19. Feb 19, 2004

MelvinYeo I'm only here for the post count

I remember Busby didn't like the term Busby babes but liked to call them something about apples, can't remember.
  20. Feb 19, 2004

vikram10 Banned

I cannot believe the "football club" term was removed. Thats the only problem I have with it .. rest looks awesome. I have it on my keychain.
  21. Feb 19, 2004

Jacqueline_S Banned Jackie Chan lookalike

It doesn't make any difference does it?
    we're still the only 'United' team on earth
    we still sing 'ferguson's red army' during the matches

unless we change 'United' to 'cxxity'
  22. Feb 20, 2004

vikram10 Banned

It doesnt make too much of a difference, but I was wondering if anyone knew why they took it of .. thats all.

It would have been better if they left it there. Just seems more "corporation" like now .. oh well !!
  23. Feb 20, 2004

It doesn't bother me that much, if it helps the club sort out the copyright of the crest.
  24. Feb 20, 2004

ShAoLiN_ChRoNiC Banned

the gist of it is that they felt the badge should be universal for all things utd. part of the scheme for world domination was to get the brand established, the new badge is not only the badge for the shirt, it is the brand logo.

man utd is no longer just a club, its a company, its a religion, its a brand. now all these thigs have the same badge. just helps the synergy.