Which film/TV show has the worst ending?

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by sullydnl, May 20, 2019.

1. May 25, 2019

Reiver Full Member

Probably not a popular choice but I didn't like the last episode of the Sopranos. Couldn't work out what was supposed to have happened and thought there had been a problem with the download. Read years later that it was meant to represent the last guy going to the gents sneaking up behind him and shooting him in the head. I suppose it makes sense.

Lost, for very personal reasons. Wife is a big fan of it and, unbeknownst to me, had decided to get up in the middle of the night to watch it as it aired in the US. She wanted some company so woke me up. I thought she was waking me up for sex.

Dungeons and Dragons, the 80s kids cartoon. The kids never made it home. Still seems unnecessarily cruel.

Others that spring to mind: X-Files, Quantum Leap, Battlestar Galactica.
  2. May 25, 2019

Casanova85 Full Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    Twin Peaks, season 2 (and ending).

Lost.
  3. May 25, 2019

The Cat Doesn't know his own mobile number

What? Sopranos finale was clear as day.
  4. May 25, 2019

George Owen LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

It was clear in the sense that he either lived or died, but which option felt right it's up to the viewer.
  5. May 25, 2019

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

Nah, he died.
  6. May 25, 2019

Maybe, but it doesn't fit the show if that was the case.

Murdered like that in front of the whole family, other people, in a restaurant... nope, that was not the modus operandi.

Also, if he was gonna get wacked, why not just show it? Sopranos was never a show with hidden messages or crazy twists. If something happens, it happens on screen.

Anyway, for me, when watching live, i felt relieved when it goes to black. Tony didn't died that day but he will have to live in paranoia for the rest of his days. I can see him getting jailed or wacked soon after.
  7. May 25, 2019

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

http://time.com/5497934/sopranos-final-scene-david-chase/
  8. May 25, 2019

In every interview he says something different...

He doesn't even confirm it in that interview:

Chase told Sepinwall and Seitz he 'didn’t want to do a straight death scene,' and that the idea behind the scene at Holsten's was that 'he could have been whacked.'

Chase remained coy when Sepinwall and Seitz asked him directly if viewers would have been mistaken to believe Tony would have been killed in the scene, saying, 'I’m not going to answer that question.'

it's an open ending, one that worked perfectly.
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  9. May 25, 2019

Wibble In Gadus Speramus Staff

I agree. It was clear that either nothing was about to happen but It could, or they got brutally murdered seconds later or they got kidnapped by aliens.

I for one was totally satisfied.
  10. May 25, 2019

It was a rubbish, badly done, open ending in a series that didn't need an ambiguous ending at all.

It annoyed me more than a little.
  11. May 25, 2019

Dirty Schwein Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album

The end of Inception felt like a complete cop out.
  12. May 25, 2019

Reiver Full Member

I'm sure it was to most, maybe even everyone else. Wasn't to me though
  13. May 25, 2019

Agree with that.

The thing is, for me it didn't felt like an open ending watching live.

The scene was building up tension, making us believe Tony was gonna get whacked, but he didn't.

What happened next? Doesn't matter, could be anything.
  14. May 26, 2019

I didn't get anything other than a confusing wtf message when watching it live.
  15. May 26, 2019

Wittmann45 Full Member

Wasn't the biggest fan of the end of the first season of True Detective and Bodyguard, but they are far from the worst. Just found them underwhelming in relation to the rest of the season/series

As far as movies go, I hated the ending to Sunshine. I thought it was a really interesting 3/4 of a movie that turned into a slasher film by the end.

Also, I recently watched "Now You See Me." Wasn't a great film by any means, but the ending twist was terrible. Also Signs, where the alien invaders are allergic to water at the end. Again, not a great movie otherwise, but it was an interesting flick without the water ending and the religious overtones.

Also, I Am Legend, especially because the alternative ending is so much better
  16. May 26, 2019

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Tony gets whacked. It’s as clear as day. It’s even foreshadowed when Tony is fishing with Bobby Baccala.

“You probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?”
  17. May 26, 2019

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    That Dexter ending sounds amazing. Now I have to watch the show.

I dig now the end of Battlestar Galactica, maybe I am becoming more religious, dunno, but the choice to...

...abandon and destroy the fleet...
    ...is very annoying.
  18. May 26, 2019

It really isn't. And if that was the intention why not just do it or show someone outside with a gun or anything apart from the stupid end they filmed?
  19. May 26, 2019

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

I can see where you’re coming from as I had to read up on what’s happened but upon rewatching I think it’s quite clear for me. And the death off screen is probably the creative direction Chase wanted to take? I think it would have been a wee bit dull just seeing him getting whacked with the rest of his family sitting there horrified. Of course it’s just my opinion. I personally liked how it ended. Got shades of goodfellas and Godfather in there imo.
  20. May 26, 2019

Roosney Full Member

Lost. With every episode passing by in the last season the hope for a good became impossible. So many good twists and theories all for nothing.
  21. May 26, 2019

Wumminator The Special One!

I have no idea why people don’t like Losts ending. It worked really well.

Sopranos was also very well done. He died. It was built up to all the way through. He died and we see it through the eyes of Tony... aka nothing
  22. May 26, 2019

sugar_kane Full Member

Not seen anyone mention yet about it being Meadow who gets shot, the final image is from her POV.

It would maybe help explain the significance of the lengthy parking attempt.

A more pseudy theory I’ve heard is that it’s the audience who gets whacked.
  23. May 26, 2019

2cents Full Member Scout

Sopranos ending can seem clever/genius looking back through all the foreshadowing over the previous seasons, but I still think it felt out of place for a show like that which was never about trying to catch the audience off-guard.
  24. May 26, 2019

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority" Scout

Battlestar Galactica for me. LOST final season was disappointing but it did not ruin its first couple of seasons or some stellar episodes like Constant. Same with GOT, they rushed the ending in last 2 seasons but first 3-4 season still had good arcs and moments I can see myself rewatching in future. Dexter went to shit so it's rubbish ending was on expected lines. BSG though just completely botched their main reveals in finale, so much so that I can not bring myself to watch a single episode of the show ever again. It's the biggest example of
    .. God did it, no need to explain anything else ..
    . I still get enraged thinking about it.
  25. May 26, 2019

JamesB__ Full Member

Supports:
    Stoke City
    I quite like the Sopranos ending but I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought I’d found a dodgy stream that had ended prematurely.
  26. May 26, 2019

RochaRoja Full Member

The exact way he dies with everything suddenly going black is foreshadowed earlier in the season in a conversation between Silvio, Paulie and Tony. There’s no way that’s a coincidence.
  27. May 26, 2019

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

I thought that was really fitting.
    I'm not sure how long they were on board the fleet, years I imagine given they settled on New Caprica for a bit. But I imagine if you were stuck on a submarine for years you'd also want to feck right off when finding an isolated peaceful island.
  28. May 26, 2019

12OunceEpilogue Full Member Scout

I think whatever you think about it The Sopranos ending has been proven to have worked perfectly, given it's still provoking debate to this day.

Almost every Dexter fan I've spoken to thinks that end was awful, almost every GoT fan I've spoken to thinks the last season and ep was a let down, but Tony's fade to black has fans and detractors in more or less equal measure who are still invested enough to discuss it in 2019.
  29. May 26, 2019

squiggle Full Member

Supports:
    Ligue 1, Arsenal
    I was never a huge Will and Grace fan but the original finale was unnecessarily bleak and rubbish.
  30. May 26, 2019

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

It was never believable that they'd fall out so badly.
  31. May 26, 2019

ChrisNelson Full Member

Slight change from the rest of the shows that have been discussed on here but....

Does anyone remember the end of The Brittas Empire? One of the funniest shows of the 90s but after all those episodes he wakes up on the train en route to an interview for the job we’ve been watching him do for the last decade! So as much as I love the show that was slightly disappointing.

Big Bang the other night was also not as good as I had been expecting. The Penny pregnancy was the most predictable plot line I think of any show ever. Sheldon thanking everyone in his speech was nice but I think they could have done more with that than just cut back to the flat and have them all eating takeaway. The lift working however was a nice touch which I should have seen coming but didn’t!
  32. May 26, 2019

Suv666 Full Member

Dexter and Lost were fecking atrocious. Nothing will ever come close. Not a big fan of Sopranos, Wire's and SOA's last season but not as fecking atrociois as Dexter and Lost what bs was that? Still not over it. Shield had the best ending of a show possible. Masterpiece.
  33. May 27, 2019

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Sure, but they don't have to live in them, just to have them close by for emergencies, especially medical ones.

Even Hera apparently died as a young adult, I hate to think it was something easier to deal with on some ship.

But all in all, I have to correct myself, it's not *very* annoying, more like mild annoyance. And as I mentioned, I don't mind everything else in the ending.

Looking forward to my next rewatch. :cool:
  34. May 27, 2019

Kapardin New Member

Penny Dreadful I reckon. Of course, the series was always only just about average-to-decent with a bunch of plotholes, but Eva Green's fantastic performance and the gothic atmosphere made it quite an appealing watch. Final season and particularly the last episode was a let-down similar to GoT.
  35. May 27, 2019

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

I always thought Heroes had the worst ending. That show got really, really bad. It's a shame really because I absolutely loved the first season but it was all a bit downhill from there.
  36. May 27, 2019

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Breaking Bad....because it ended.

Sopranos has to be in with a shout.
  37. May 27, 2019

Ian Reus Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

Once upon a time in America.
    This ending can feck aff too.
    [​IMG]
  38. May 27, 2019

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I was really disappointed with The Prestige ending.
  39. May 28, 2019

hobbers Full Member

Battlestar Galactica, Dexter, Luther and GoT all good shouts.

Not really anything they could do about it but House of Cards last season also went off a cliff edge.
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  40. May 28, 2019

Zarlak my face causes global warming

Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
    It wasn't ambiguous though. Like two episodes before the end they dedicated an entire scene to Tony saying that when someone dies he thinks it just goes black. It was completely intentional. I think the director just ran with the mystery of it and the 'oooh yeah I meant to make it deliberately ambiguous' when they'd a few episodes prior spelled it out to everyone.