1. Draft game threads in the Football Forum have been moved to a new Draft Games Forum. This is to keep the Football Forum more on topic.
    Dismiss Notice

Which midfielder should we buy to give Pogba more freedom

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by YouOnlyLiveTwice, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Mar 8, 2018

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

That was just the first part of the negotiation with Gremio. They have reached an agreement today for $30 millions. Globo Esporte is reporting right now and they are very reliable.

https://globoesporte.globo.com/rs/f...cordo-e-acertam-transferencia-de-arthur.ghtml
  2. Mar 8, 2018

Cliche Guevara Full Member

3. Mar 8, 2018

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

:lol:If you are using the Chrome that option to translate to english will appear in the bottom of the page.
  4. Mar 9, 2018

Fer Full Member

When we signed Matic, I remember we used to play a midfield of 2 and Pogba-Matic where really good.
    The problem is that Matic needs to rest some games, and Pogba to commit with the team and find his best form.

Lately, we have played with a midfield of 3 and even 4 midfielders. Still Pogba doesnt look amazing.

So, I prefer to sign a player like Eriksen/Fekir to play him behind Lukaku or even in a 433. Also, we need a midfielder to rotate with Matic, or play 4222 in big matches.

A world class left back would make a big difference in our team.
  5. Mar 9, 2018

deafepl Full Member

Real Madrid won't sell for anything less than Kovacic's release clause 50m, Real Madrid is powerless if the club like of PSG, Juve, Chelsea and us interested in getting him so they will activate release clause, there's nothing Real Madrid can do.
  6. Mar 9, 2018

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    The comparison with Eriksen doesn't really work. This summer he'll be the same age Eriksen was when he left Ajax. Frenkie de Jong at this point has a total of 26 top flight appearances, a good few of which were subs. Eriksen at that point had 162 appearances for Ajax and a good 35+ appearances for Denmark. I would have loved Eriksen to have stayed one more season, cause he was geared to absolutely dominate the league the way he was playing towards the end of the previous season and the start of that new one. Eriksen has always had his workrate going for him, covering the most metres in the CL group stage out of all players in 2011/12, I believe.

Frenkie doesn't have the experience, and doesn't have the legs nor physical presence, in fact those are two of his weak points. Eriksen went through his ups and downs at Ajax, De Jong hasn't been able to go through that process yet

and ultimately, De Jong needs to find his niche still. He's like Dembele with more speed but none of the strength. He has better vision and passing than Dembele but imo his final ball is a bit sloppy and not upper echelon. I'd want him orchestrating from a deeper position rather than playing further upfield, whereas Eriksen can play better from the centre of the pitch all the way to behind a striker.

I think Frenkie is immensely technically gifted, he's quick and he has a great set of footballing brains on him, but in any position on the pitch, there's still weaknesses/limitations that he needs to work on and settle into.

I worry that with Ziyech leaving, and Nouri gone, De Jong will be shoehorned into our most creative midfield role next season, and I think he'll go missing there.
  7. Mar 9, 2018

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    Frenkie as a CB wasn't a Ten Hag move but a Keizer one. Also a bald fraud though ;)
  8. Mar 9, 2018

El-Manos Full Member

Looks very good in that video. Eredivisie though:nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous:
  9. Mar 9, 2018

AndyJ1985 Full Member Verified Moaner

Except offer him a new contract which he'd probably accept.
  10. Mar 9, 2018

ti vu Full Member

And the interest turns out to be Kovacic's scheme to get the best possible renewal term from Madrid. Doesn't it sound too familiar?
  11. Mar 13, 2018

sideshow_bob New Member

Hey fellas! Had a bit of time on my hands before the United v sevilla game comes on & thought I'd make a list of our potential midfield targets from the various leagues.

Did i get 'em all? It's most likely gonna be 1 or even 2 from this list right?

Ligue 1
    1. Rabiot
    2. Verratti
    3. Mendy
    4. Seri
    5. Thauvin
    6. Fekir
    7. Fabinho
    8. Lemar
    Bundesliga
    1. Vidal
    2. Meyer
    3. Weigl
    4. Dahoud
    5. Ascacibar
    6. Arnold
    7. Pulisic
    8. Thiago
    La Liga
    1. Ceballos
    2. Kovacic
    3. Isco
    4. Modric
    5. Kroos
    6. Rakitic
    7. Gomes
    8. Roberto
    9. Lobotka
    10. Soler
    11. Saul
    12. Kondogbia
    13. Ruiz
    14. Canales
    15. Parejo
    16. Illaramendi
    17. Banega
    Serie A
    1. Matuidi
    2. Hamsik
    3. Pjanic
    4. Jorginho
    5. Zielinski
    6. Allan
    7. Torreira
    8. Strootman
    9. Nainggolan
    10. Veretout
    11. Brozovic
    12. Kessie
    13. Linetty
    14. Milinkovic-Savic
    15. Gomez
    16. Cristante
    17. Perisic
    EPL
    1. Dembele
    2. Winks
    3. Kante
    4. Lemina
    5. Dier
    6. Wilshere
    7. Can
    8. Ramsey
    9. Capoue
    10. Doucoure
    11. Carroll
    12. Eriksen
    13. Krychowiak
    14. Mahrez
    15. Cook
    16. Alli
    17. Gross
    18. Ndidi
    Primeira Liga
    1. Fejsa
    2. Carvalho
    3. Herrera
    4. Fernandes
    Others
    1. Fred
    2. Neves
    3. Dendoncker
    4. Stepanenko
  12. Mar 13, 2018

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    exactly the sort of thing I do when I'm supposed to be working on a big deadline. Others that I know have been mentioned in this thread are Frenkie de Jong ("Others") and Ndombele (Ligue 1)
  13. Mar 13, 2018

Rawls You'll never find, that microfilm of mine

Is this in terms of what you would do if you were in charge of the club, or is this in terms of what you expect the club to do?

Also, are these players ranked by taking just quality into account, or are they ranked by looking at other factors such as cost?
  14. Mar 13, 2018

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Fejsa is VERY sub par to say the least and Porto is Herrera Ceiling. Stepanenko is also not United quality. I love the option of Neves he is very talented and Dier as well who is versatile. Would LOVE Pulisic at United.
  15. Mar 13, 2018

BenjaminP Banned

Kante.
  16. Mar 13, 2018

NK86 Full Member

Nzonzi. Would provide a very solid base with Matic and can play football to boot.
  17. Mar 14, 2018

mitchmouse Full Member

Frankly, I'd give him freedom to leave. Total waste of fresh air. All he has done is made Manchester barbers rich
  18. Mar 14, 2018

Saccharine New Member

Thauvin, Fekir and Lemar are playmakers / wingers. They couldn't play behind Pogba.
    Out of that list I would go for Fabinho though he has not been as good as he was last season.
    Seri could also make the step up
    Rabiot and Verratti are good players but they are yet to prove they can be relied on in big games.
    Which Mendy are you talking about ?
  19. Mar 14, 2018

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

I think this question will be moot come the summer.
  20. Mar 16, 2018

VanHaal'sRedArmy Full Member

21. Mar 17, 2018

sideshow_bob New Member

Thank you for your input guys. Have created a better more detailed list based on it. Am not allowed to post images here yet. But pls check my list out in the newbie forum:

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/list-of-the-best-cms-dms.437380/
  22. Mar 18, 2018

Icemav Full Member

23. Mar 18, 2018

Icemav Full Member

For sure. 50m would be a steal so he will be paid $$$$$$$$
  24. Mar 23, 2018

Fer Full Member

Keita looks like the missing piece. Seri is a bit similar to Keita, he could be an interesting option. I cant see the likes of Kroos, Verrati, Thiago signing for us anytime soon. Maybe Kovacic could be available.
  25. Mar 25, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

Jorginho or Savic.
  26. Mar 25, 2018

settembrini Full Member

I feel like this question will soon become 'which midfielder should we buy to replace Pogba'.
  27. Mar 25, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

Yes, I am getting this feeling too @settembrini .
  28. Mar 25, 2018

The Cat Full Member

I am getting the feeling it is going to be a Pogba/Bale deal this summer.
  29. Mar 25, 2018

ColvaleGoa Full Member

Looks very much the flavour of the season!!!
  30. Mar 25, 2018

ravi2 Full Member

I dont think Ed or Jose is stupid to acquire a player on crazy wages who spends at least 1/3 of each season injured.
  31. Mar 25, 2018

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

Either that, or 'which RB should we target to give New Midfielder X more freedom to give Pogba more freedom'.

If Pogba needs such ridiculously specific conditions to be able to turn in a 7/10 performance or higher, we have serious problems.
  32. Mar 26, 2018

GM K Full Member

Totally agree. Jose has a history of selling any big name player that wants to leave and I get the feeling Pogba will soon want to walk out. He did it once when he felt he wasn't being played enough. He can do it again.
  33. Mar 26, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

And caf will moan about Jose just like how Chelsea fans are doing when he sold few very good players who turned out to be great players under different coaches.
  34. Mar 26, 2018

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    Fejsa is injury prone, so will not do.

Fernandes is an attacking midfielder, will not do either.

Cavalho is a good shout, would allow Matic more freedom to press up. And his passing + first touch make him a good player to start the attack.

Herrera not in a mile: he has the energy, but he is quite clumsy with the ball on his feet. Danilo Pereira is miles ahead of him. Danilo Pereira is such a good player that even Ruben Neves couldn't get more than a few number of games last season.

IMHO I really rate Jakub Jankto from Udinese. Very solid miedfielder and also offers good passing options. And will not cost an arm or a leg.
  35. Mar 26, 2018

GM K Full Member

I think this is normal for elite level managers especially those who have been in the game for a while, move around a bit and manage clubs like Madrid and Chelsea.
  36. Mar 26, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

It's not normal.
  37. Mar 26, 2018

Jig1234 Full Member

RB. Thomas Meunier
    LB. Alex Sandro
    CB. Toby Alderweireld
    CM. Jorginho
    CDM. Sean Seri

Sell/Leaving:
    Herrera, Blind, Darmian, Shaw, Fellaini, Carrick & Smalling.

Promote: Fosu-Mensah, Pereira & Tuanzebe

I think Seri/Jorginho would be perfect partners to have with Pogba in a three. Whether that is possible under Mourinho, I'm not sure.
  38. Mar 26, 2018

ovoxo Full Member

Sign Fred and Jorginho! - only watched Jorginho play though:lol:
  39. Mar 26, 2018

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    To be fair, playing in a well balanced midfield three is hardly a 'ridiculously specific condition'.

This whole 'signing a third midfielder to give Pogba more freedom' thing is stupid. We need to look to sign a third midfielder to give us a balanced midfield. It's not just for Pogba. He would hopefully be one of the main beneficiaries, but it should be a good thing for the entire team.
  40. Mar 26, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

If DDG wanted to leave, I would fight tooth and nail to persuade him to stay. I'd give him whatever he wants.
    However, if a player who hasn't been particularly good for us (eg, Pogba) wants to leave, I'd be happy to cash in on him and use the funds on another player.