Which World Cup was the best World Cup?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by PeteManic, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

1998 is the first one I watched, and loved it. Loved 2006 too, 2002 was good, 2010 and 2014 a bit shit.

Have hard good words about 1994.
  2. Feb 8, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

You poor, poor soul.
  3. Feb 8, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    82 and 86.

• An amazing performance from Algeria to beat Germany which was then ruined by the Germany Austria 'fix' with 80 minutes of NOTHING when both teams should have been thrown out. German ARD said "what is happening here is disgraceful and has nothing to do with football. You can say what you like, but not every end justifies the means." The Austrian commentator told viewers to turn off their sets and refused to speak for the last half-hour. Former West German international Willi Schulz branded the German players "gangsters".
    • Along with Toni the Terminator tackle Vs France, probably the worst moment of a WC (both involving Germany....)

• To compensate and show the beautiful side of football, we get Brazil Vs Italy, probably one of the greatest WC matches of all time and pitting a wonderful group of Brazilians against those scoundrels from Italy. Brazil need a draw, Italy need a win and a man recently (some said conveniently) released from his ban, became a legend (YouTube it if never watched.... wonderful)

• Also a decent final with THAT celebration from Tardelli
    • Maradona (hand ball)
    • Maradona (v Belgium!!!)
    • Maradona (v England "You have to say thats magnificent!")
    • An often underrated Argentina team
    • England having a half decent team and despite trying to piss up the group, almost beating the eventual winners. It almost "came home"
    • A decent final when Germany almost did the German thing and just kept going but came up short
    • Great goals - altitude helped... Belanov!
    • Great fans
  4. Feb 8, 2018

FC Ronaldo Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

:(
  5. Feb 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Club > Country mate ;)

Edit:

Viva > Country :lol:
  6. Feb 8, 2018

Schneckerl Full Member

I wasnt there obviously so I judge it from a different perspective but from what I've seen 54' pretty much only had amazing games in the KO-rounds

Won't happen ever again

'54 and '66 had the best final
    Absolutely insane that Hungary didn't win that game
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  7. Feb 8, 2018

.Phil1968 Full Member

1982 Robbos 27 second goal, Gerry Armstrong, Socrates, Rossi, Tardelli yes 1 was 14 and loved every second of it. I still bore my kids talking about that Brazil Italy game.
  8. Feb 8, 2018

El Zoido Full Member

You can only really talk about the ones you’ve seen. My first was WC94, but ‘98 was my favourite.
  9. Feb 8, 2018

Msuker New Member

1998, perfect conditions perfect weather, great attacking teams.

The 0-0 final of 1994 under California midday sun where both sides clearly tired was a disappointing end to great playoff runs by Romario/Bebeto and Baggio on the other side.
  10. Feb 8, 2018

NinjaZombie Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

This.

I was 14 in 1998. It was glorious.
  11. Feb 8, 2018

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

My first memory of football is actually World Cup 98, mainly due to Beckham and Owen.

2002 was good but as I grew up, it became less good due to politics.

2006 was interesting, mainly the final.

2010 was meh

2014 I didn’t enjoy other than Brazil’s humiliation
  12. Feb 8, 2018

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    2006 :drool:

Close thread :D
  13. Feb 8, 2018

Irish Jet Full Member

I was only 7 years old but I still vividly remember the '98 World Cup. Probably just when I was falling in love with football so it was special too me.

Still remember idolizing Ronaldo and Davor Suker, rooting for Italy in the penalty shootout, the amazing Argentina-England game and the amazing Holland-Brazil game - The games felt like they were on really late at night too, obviously as I was 7 lol.

I was sure the winner of that semi final would win the final and I was heartbroken when those French f*ckers won it. Always hated France. Still do.
  14. Feb 8, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

94 for me but then again, i'm bias.
  15. Feb 8, 2018

Lord SInister Full Member

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
    My fab remains 2002, maybe because it was the first I remember.

Last one was tricky, the group stages were great. It had the potential to be the best since 1986. But the knockout stages stagnant it.

2010 was blah, most teams feared Spain, and their games were a bore. The only match I enjoyed of Spain was against Chile.
  16. Feb 8, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    2014 was pretty good. Mostly because of Holland 5 - 1 Spain and that historic arsewhipping Germany gave Brazil.

2010 was a shite tournament, but we made the final so I still enjoyed it.

1998 is probably the best I've seen.
  17. Feb 8, 2018

Pagh Wraith Full Member

2006. Some really high-quality games (the Germany vs Italy semi-final remains one of the best games I've ever seen), one of the hottest summers I can remember, an epic trip to Turkey with my mates after graduation from school and Italy winning. Brilliant memories.
  18. Feb 8, 2018

lysglimt Full Member

Have to agree with this one - I was 10 years old and I still remember more from this World Cup than several others. Paolo Rossi was my hero - and everyone made fun of me for him being so poor in the first few games.
  19. Feb 8, 2018

Stookie Nurse bell end

1986 for me. Closely followed by 82. World cups have really gone down hill.
  20. Feb 8, 2018

lysglimt Full Member

Oh and Hungary - El Salvador 10-1 deserves a mention as well
  21. Feb 8, 2018

Mr.Ridiculous__ The name says it all

Ohh c'mon. That young German team of Muller and Ozil was a treat to watch. Especially their devastating counterattacks.
  22. Feb 8, 2018

Coxy Full Member

I'm guessing it's because they were 3 of the best teams perhaps??
  23. Feb 8, 2018

RedTillI'mDead A Key Tool

I was thinking this. Enough time, energy and knowledge to both know a lot about the players and teams and new enough to still have that spark. Plus the time to watch big chunks if it.
  24. Feb 8, 2018

but it was hardly legendary.
    Actually I have never seen a legendary WC, born in wrong era.:(
  25. Feb 8, 2018

harms Way Staff

1982 and 1998.
    1982 was pretty much perfect:
    • semi-final between France and West Germany — the tragedy of Battiston's injury, the incredible football and the final 3:3 score
    • Brazil team of 1982 :drool:
    • Joga Bonito vs Catenaccio, with Brazil performing greatly, but Italians miraculously prevailing
    • Gentile vs Maradona and Zico, Bergomi vs Rummenigge
    • Boniek's performance against Belgium
    • Tardelli's and Falcao's celebrations
  26. Feb 8, 2018

17 Van der Gouw biffa bin

Although the big teams didn't turn up in 2002, it was entertaining for some of the shocks - South Korea and Turkey in the semis, not to mention Senegal beating France on the first day!

2010 was ruined by the vuvuzelas. Stupid bloody things.
  27. Feb 8, 2018

AshRK Full Member

2002 was the first one I watched and that Brazilian team made me fall in love with football. Will always remember that one fondly

2006 was also quite good with some grest games and some great memories.

2010 was shite apart from that young German side who thrashed England and Argentina. Seeing maradona as a coach was funny.

2014 one I really enjoyed. I watched almost every game. Although goal scoring wise it got a bit boring from the knock out games but still a very good wc.

I think 2018 will be like 2002Wc with a lot of upsets and some very good knockout games.
  28. Feb 8, 2018

Mr.Ridiculous__ The name says it all

Honestly, as one of the posters said, everyone prefers the World Cups that they watched during their teens. And then based on your favorite team's performance, either goes down in history or otherwise.
  29. Feb 8, 2018

2006 and 2010 were the ones I saw when I was a teen, and didn't particularly got wowed by either.

Although that Zidane performance vs Brazil was something else:drool:
  30. Feb 8, 2018

broccoli Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Supports:
    FCPorto
    :lol: never gets old!
  31. Feb 8, 2018

strongwalker Full Member

Supports:
    FC Bayern München
    1982 because Brazil
    1990 because Roger Milla and spontaneous partie sin the streets after the Germany matches
    2006 because party everywhere
    2010 because Italy/France going out after the group stage
    2014 because 54,74,90,14 :D
  32. Feb 8, 2018

Raees Fairweather Fan

What is the reason for the decline in quality then..
  33. Feb 8, 2018

I will not lie, I was so pissed that I wanted Cristiano out of United because of that silly me:lol::lol:.
  34. Feb 8, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

That should hold for any WC to be fair, where would world class players be other than a WC. Some great teams and absolute legends of the game though, I see where you are coming from.

86 and 98 in my lifetime. Maybe overall quality is better in 98, but it hardly had the sort of matchups 86 had.

Brazil-France was amazing, Argentina-England post Falklands, a basketball scoreline between the plucky Belgians and the Soviets reprising the on-screen Rocky Balboa vs. Drago... Danish dynamite, dynamite getting wet against la Furia Roja... Proper World Cup, anyone could win not just a handful of favourites.
  35. Feb 8, 2018

Hullyback Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool FC
    For me it'd be Mexico 86. The first one I watched and remember very fondly, tons of fantastic players in that tournament and I still remember the mascot toys you got in kinder eggs, and the mini balls you got from buying Coke (I think?)

Italy 90 would be the runner up, and not just for the England factor. Just seemed to have a magic about it that world cups don't seem to have had since. They've seemed to be damp squibs since, for me anyway. Just very little excitement involved and the country doesn't seem to get as involved as it used to. I barely watched the Brazil one, and not many others seemed to either as the pubs weren't ever overly busy during that tournament.

My worst one would be USA 94. I spent that summer in Brighton, and you'd have been hard pressed to know it was going on. Barring the final, Diana Ross fluffing her kick and Houghtons goal I can't remember anything about it. Not even sure it was Englands absence, cos I don't pay much attention to England anyway, you know they're out as soon as they meet anyone half decent in a KO match. I'm not even sure they've beaten anyone half decent in KO match in my lifetime come to think of it. Belgium in 90, who were pretty poor anyway, Spain in Euro 96, who were also a poor relation to Spain now.

Does anyone know when England last won a KO match in any tournament they would have gone into being the underdog? It's probably 66.
  36. Feb 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

:lol:
  37. Feb 8, 2018

Since my nation can never qualify for the World Cup, so I always supported England(started because of my Beckham and United love), so that incident made me mad.
  38. Feb 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

I've always supported against England for those exact reasons :D

Oh, and getting to rest players is always nice too.
  39. Feb 8, 2018

RuudVomMistelroum New Member

98 first one I remember. Not wanting to go to school the next day for the amount of grief Beckham was going to get.

However, for me I have enjoyed everyone after apart from 2010 in South Africa. I think 2014 edged it for me but that might have helped being in Lisbon watching the games on big screens!
  40. Feb 8, 2018

United never give up Banned

I feel that this World Cup (2018) may be looked upon as a historical one

Not necessarily due to the football quality, but I feel that this World Cup will be where Lionel Messi will ascend into the throne of unequivocal Greatest player of all time. This is his moment and history will look upon 2018 WC as the crowning moment of arguably the greatest sportsman of all time (GOAT in the most popular sport must make him at least a contender for all time sporting GOAT).

You might disagree with me, I might be wrong - but this is Messi's moment (I'm not a Barca fan)