Which World Cup was the best World Cup?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by PeteManic, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018

Thisistheone Full Member

Got a soft spot for USA '94 as it was the first World Cup I watched.. Late night kick offs, my father letting me stay up. Had that mystery to it that we don't get in the current day tournaments.

The Romario Bebeto baby celebration was the coolest thing ever and in school the next day everyone was copying it.
  2. Feb 8, 2018

Handré1990 Full Member

The first one I watched was 98. I’ve watched most games in the ones since, but nothing tops that one for me. Probably never will, we beat Brazil in the group stage and went out against Italy in a close game in the first knock-out round. Norway will probably never have a team on that level again. We could quite comfortably mix it with the best. I even remember the last friendly before the WC started, we held France to a high scoring draw (3-3).
  3. Feb 8, 2018

P-Nut0712 fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Possibly but it's not their performances that are stuck in my head more just their colours
  4. Feb 8, 2018

Spoony The People's President

Shit on a stick football. The cult of Van Gaal.
    82 and 86
  5. Feb 8, 2018

The White Pele Full Member

I thought the group stages and 2nd round of the last World Cup were incredible. Some great football played by almost every country
  6. Feb 8, 2018

Pat_Mustard Full Member

A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
    Aye, there's a strong element of truth to this. 1994 will always be the most magical one for me. Even the final, which was a shite match and enduringly upsetting for a Baggio fan, only adds to the sense of narrative.

:lol: That's a great story, cheers for sharing. Bonus points for use of 'oiks and reprobates' :)
  7. Feb 8, 2018

supermao New Member

82 without a doubt.
  8. Feb 8, 2018

DoubleRevv New Member

If you didn't watch 98 you've missed out I swear. I had this printout of fixtures i bought with my lunch money and I stayed up on school nights to watch the games1, I could name all the stadia and goodness the football was out of this world. You could make 3 completely different world 11 teams from that year.

That world cup was a proper festval. Never heard of many countries (primary school pupil) until that world cup.

Nostalgic.

Suker, Sallas, Boban, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Kahn, Overmars, Barthez, Trezeguet, Chilevert, Hadji....God so many players.

Edit: Dad happened to go to france that year and a french guy bought me a france jersey. Only authentic Jersey i've owned till it was stolen in boarding school
  9. Feb 8, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

2002 for me.
  10. Feb 8, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

Korea / Japan 2002 but that’s probably because it’s the first one I remember. Watched all the games. Seeing Ronaldo come back from injury to win the World Cup and Beckham getting one over the Argies was the highlights.

And let’s now forget Sengal’s performance which made Liverpool buy Diouf and Diou :lol:
  11. Feb 8, 2018

Redlyn Full Member

Italia 90 because it was my first world cup and an epic one for my country. I think my love of football emerged from that experience. I had stickers of every player in the tourny and Cameroon made history until England stole past thanks to some dodgy decisions. I don't know if the experience will ever be topped for me. Maybe if I attend a tournament in person.
  12. Feb 8, 2018

juggernaut1986 New Member

2006 and 1998 for me. I watched almost every match in 2006. The tournament featured some legends of the game and a number of young players who'd go on to achieve so much in their careers. 1998 is the first one I remember. It was perhaps the best one, quality wise, in my lifetime. I enjoyed Brazil in 2002 edition but the rest of the tournament wasn't great especially South Korea's dodgy wins over Italy and Spain. Unlike others, I don't like too many upsets. I love seeing heavyweights in the later stages of a World Cup.

Can't wait for the next one. Got the tickets for both the semi finals and a few other games. First time I am going to be at a World Cup in person.
  13. Feb 9, 2018

PeteManic Full Member

If Messi is to truly regarded as the greatest of all time, then he needs to win a World Cup. If Argentina win it, there will be no argument.
  14. Feb 9, 2018

onemanarmy Full Member

1994 was great, I was 11 by that time, the first one I really remember. Italy - Brazil, not a bad final.
  15. Feb 9, 2018

BigdaftGorby Banned

I’m with you on 90, Cameroon set the tone for the whole tournament.
  16. Feb 9, 2018

Unmutual Full Member

I think 1998 is the one I remember most fondly. World Cups can often be dramatic, and this one was too, but the actual quality of teams can often be a bit low. This one though had a bunch of teams playing at a really high level. Brazil, Argentina, France, Holland and Croatia were all genuinely impressive teams packed with talent. Indeed I often think England were unlucky in that tournament, that was one of England's best teams of the modern era, but they just turned up to a tournament where the level was even higher.
  17. Feb 9, 2018

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

I'm watching it since 82 and Italy 90 is what sticks in my mind. Mostly because back in time i felt in love for Gianna Nannini..have no idea why, looking now she is very average.
  18. Feb 9, 2018

red_devil83 Banned

In my lifetime I'd go for 1990 because it's the first one I got to watch or 1998 because it was awesome.
  19. Feb 9, 2018

Valar Morghulis Full Member

Supports:
    BBW
    She's also dressed like a man, which may possibly be cause for concern. The best World Cup was 2010, those vuvuzela's and the spades of fans dancing to the drone of those giant car horns with their backs turned not watching the play was absolutely hilarious:lol: Though the 2010 final bored the ass off me, well Spain managed to do that in every game. Thank God sleepy taka is dead.
  20. Feb 9, 2018

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

:lol::lol:no way dude, that is 90s style. Look Madona in that time.
  21. Feb 9, 2018

Valar Morghulis Full Member

Supports:
    BBW
    I'm scared to type Madonna into Google Images, I've just eaten my lunch:eek::lol:
  22. Feb 9, 2018

son of cimbombom New Member

Supports:
    galatasaray
    I think like you too.
    9 players from Galatasaray were playing in Turkish national team. Galatasaray won UEFA and Super Cup in 2000 and formed the Turkish national team's bone staff.
    Hasan Şaş, Hakan Şükür and İlhan Mansız became very popular.
    Particularly, Ilhan Mansız had fallen in love with Korean girls.
  23. Feb 9, 2018

totaalvoetbal Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    For me, always the 1974 world cup.

The 1990 world cup was the worst in quality while the 2010 world cup was the most shameful for me in terms of our approach to the game.
  24. Feb 9, 2018

youngrell Full Member

Going to plunge for '98 myself, too. I was 15 and remember the excitement coming in from school to watch Brazil v Scotland on the opening day. The whole hype around Ronaldo, and the fact that the internet was in it's early stages so you didn't know everything there was to know about every team like today.

So many quality teams, too, and of course the drama of the final.
  25. Feb 9, 2018

Foxbatt Full Member

I have to agree with you. And so many upsets too. Cameroon beating Argentina. NI beating Spain. Who can forget the Italians beating Brasil 3-2. And of course for the wrong reason the Germany v France semi final. And the Final of course.
  26. Feb 9, 2018

rm4eva New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    All my favorite players were at their peak between 1998 and 2002.
    So it would have to be 1998 followed by 2002.
  27. Feb 9, 2018

United never give up Banned

I don't necessarily think he needs to win it, but he needs to star in it and have a huge, memorable impact that further enhances his legacy

However as mentioned in my earlier post - he will win it this time.

Everyone is going on about Germany, Brazil and France whilst forgetting Argentina because of their shaky qualifying - Argentina are the dark horses of this tournament which many people are wrongly forgetting about. The likes of Germany etc need to remember that IMO.
  28. Feb 9, 2018

El Pasillo New Member

To be fair, Messi was the best player in World Cup 2014.

Not really his fault that Higuain/Palacio finishing were atrocious despite being given easy chances...

-------

Btw, I guess you also believe that David De Gea can't be recognized as the best GK in world by same logic.

Which is due to... ehm... well... he hasn't proved himself at the biggest stage in club football (Champions League).

Granted, DDG never had that chance but the fact still remain nonetheless.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  29. Feb 9, 2018

RMD83 Full Member

It’s an interesting debate. I wonder if age and nostalgia play a big part in this. For me like others Italia 90 and France 98 stand out. Both great world cups in their own right but at the time I was 7 and 15 respectively. Like most things from your childhood they seemed more magical and perhaps the nostalgia of that is the key factor. Due to tv coverage these days the World Cup is not the same. Now days you can see the likes of Messi play every week and therefore the thrill of seeing them has gone.
  30. Feb 9, 2018

United never give up Banned

Absolutely spot on - the logic that if Higuain finished the chance then Messi would be the GOAT but because higuain missed he isn't, is flawed.

Every sportsman has some blot on his career

Federer has a negative Head to head record vs Nadal and Djokovic...still accepted as the GOAT

Bradman didn't even play against half of the current cricket playing nations....still accepted as the GOAT

Muhammad Ali wasnt unbeaten ala Mayweather...still accepted as the GOAT

Just because Messi's career isn't absolute perfection, doesn't mean he's not the GOAT IMO
  31. Feb 9, 2018

pauldyson1uk Full Member

82 for me ,mainly for this game , one of the best World Cup matches I have seen, with one of the worst tackles.

32. Feb 9, 2018

nah_it_wont_happen Banned

Can't believe how someone would claim 1990 and 2002 were good world cups.

1990 was full of cynical defensive football, devoid of quality and goals.

2002 was total loss of quality due to the tournament being brought forward to avoid the rainy seasons there, worsened by FIFA's decision to force a way for South Korea to play till the end of the tournament, a totally disgraceful world cup.
  33. Feb 9, 2018

Finn MacCool Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The first world cup I ever watched - 1978

The Tartan Army singing "we want our money back"
    Archie Gemill's goal
    Willie Johnston doping
    Arie Haan's goals
    The ticker tape before and during games
    Roberto Bettega's goals
    Mario Kempes goals

Being a young kid at the time I didn't know it but the tournament was dodgy as feck with lots of match fixing allegations about Argentina's 6-0 win over Peru and more. Still a great spectacle for me at the time. Enjoyed 82 and 86 as well but it appeals less to me every time. Now its just a nice bridge between PL seasons every 4 years which makes the summer break feel shorter.
  34. Feb 9, 2018

Guy Incognito Full Member

First one is the one you usually have a spot for.

If I'm looking at the last 30 years, I'd say 82 or 86. 90 had some dour football on show but memorable moments.
  35. Feb 9, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

Despite Holland not qualifying 1982 was the perfect World Cup, it had everything
  36. Feb 9, 2018

Moonred Full Member

I only properly remember from ‘94:

37. Feb 9, 2018

Kopral Jono Full Member

Absolutely. As a young boy I felt the whole buzz leading up to France '98 was quite special, with Ronaldo being portrayed as this footballing mythical figure who at the time was just about to descend from the heavens and set the world alight. The actual tournament was a cracker to boot.

Looking back, with the exception of South Africa '10 which was a bit of a downer, I don't think I've never not enjoyed a World Cup. Japan/Korea '02, Germany '06 and Brazil '14 were all special in their own ways.

Now this is slightly out of topic, but I find it quite funny that I often find myself using past World Cups/European Championships to define who and where I was at that point in time, if you know what I mean. Germany '06, for instance, was particularly memorable because I was attending a summer school in Hong Kong when the tournament was on, Japan/Korea '02 was unique because it coincided with my past obsession for Japanese manga... and so on and so forth. Quite sure I'm not the only one who does this.
  38. Feb 9, 2018

schwalbe Full Member

Supports:
    Fc Bayern München
    2002 was the first one i really followed so i have that in quite good memory.
    2006 was great and the best one i remember.
    2010 was shit except for germany wiping the floor with Argentina and England and that De Jong kick.
    2014 was an improvement to 2010 and had some good moments
  39. Feb 9, 2018

Kasper Full Member

Supports:
    Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
    Surprised that so many rate 2006. While the surroundings were great (Perfect country with the infrastructure for the event, good weather, european time zone) the football was incredibly dull. Extremely defensive tournament where the team with the best defense deservedly won in the end. The final obviously had all the drama and Germany-Italy as well as Germany-Argentinia were great but apart from that I remember a lot of boring games.
  40. Feb 9, 2018

Dirty Schwein Should Have Known Better

From the ones I've seen, definitely 98. Remember that so fondly