Which World Cup was the best World Cup?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by PeteManic, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Feb 9, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    32 teams is good for giving representation to all continents (o.k Oceania doesn't get in but they're just a hostage to geography) but think 16 would be an ideal number given the great world cups in the 70s and 80s were with that many teams and we've also seen some excellent European championships with that number.

Will obviously never go back to that number but I just think star players like Messi and Ronaldo are gassed by the time they get to June if they've played 60+ club games, many of them at high intensity.
  2. Feb 9, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Nice thought but I fear Messi's moment was 2014 and the ball just wouldn't run for him in that final.

Argentina are badly lacking a top quality DM to win the thing imo as Mascherano is too old now although I assume he'll still make the 11.
  3. Feb 9, 2018

We need an rvn Full Member

Don't know why but I just get feeling Russia is going to be just as bad. Should never have had the tournament in the first place and just expecting front page news more than sports to take over. Not looking forward to it really, same with the one after with players complaining of the heat etc.

Best for me has to be one I can remember and a toss between '94 / '98. '94 for the final / bebeto & romario and a young Ronaldo on the bench, Bergkamp's stunning goal against Argis and ROI doing so well...but then '98 and Ronaldo.
  4. Feb 9, 2018

2cents Full Member

This was 98.
  5. Feb 9, 2018

El Pasillo New Member

What?

Messi might have scored 0 goals during World Cup 2010, but played very well throughout then entire tournament as their main creative outlet.

Don't forget that Argentina was coached by Diego-feck-me-Maradona who didn't even picked Cambiasso & Zanetti despite being amazing for Inter.

No wonder why they looked completely dysfunctional, but it doesn't change anything about Messi having great individual performances.

Messi doesn't deserve to be lumped with Rooney, Drogba who flopped miserably during WC 2010.
  6. Feb 9, 2018

redshaw Full Member

1990 for me

I enjoyed watching Italy and Schillaci. Germany had Hassler with incredible free kicks and England had a good team that was able to get to a semi final but were unlucky with that Paul Parker deflection.

Maradona
    Matthaus
    Gullit
    Gascoigne
    Robson
    Van Basten
    Koeman
    Vialli
    Baresi
    Baggio
    Romario
    Maldini
    Lineker
    Valderrama
    Klinsmann

[​IMG]
    I also love the logo. On TV this had an animation that used to scroll across the bottom of the screen.

Italia 90 felt like the last iconic classic World Cup. 1994 just didn't have it for me at the time as a young lad so it isn't nostalgia. Maradona past it and coked up and converted US stadiums didn't help.

Italia 90 also had Pavarotti. The passion from the pitch was oozing through the screen. I don't think I've seen such a tournament with so many iconic players/characters since.

Mexico 86 is very special as well.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. Feb 9, 2018

JamesB__ Full Member

Supports:
    Stoke City
    2006 was great, so many legends of football played at that tournament.

2010 the worst by far, can’t remember a single good game, very few of the biggest players performed, Spain were great but mind numblingly boring and none of the games had an atmosphere due to the ridiculous vuvuzelas.

Shakira looked hot in the video to the official song though, which was nice.
  8. Feb 9, 2018

gavdim2002 New Member

The World Cup(s) when you are a teenager
  9. Feb 9, 2018

Number1 Full Member

I was too young to remember 1990 too much, but know the final goes down as the worst ever at a World Cup.

1998 and 2002 is probably the best since I've been around. 2010 was the worst, everything about it was terrible from the quality of football/jabulani ball to the crowds that sounded like a swarm of bees.

10. Feb 9, 2018

TRossManUtd8 New Member

For me it was the 1998 world cup! I was 14 years old and I fell in love with soccer for the first time. I was playing for a club team in California and my coach was a gentleman from Manchester. He would have us come over and watch United games but when the world cup started in 1998 as a team we would go over to his house and eat pizza and watch matches.

I absolutely fell in love with the English national team (mostly because I knew some of the players from watching United) but also fell in love with the French national team. I was in awe watching and learning the different teams representing there countries and the players who were so proud to fight for there country. Everyone talked about how great that Brazil team and I will never forget the final with the way Zidane carried his country on his back and took them to World cup glory in there own country. It still to this day is the performance I think about the most and am in awe.

The only other player I saw drag his team across the finish line in a similar fashion was Keane vs Juve in the 99 CL semis. Still to this day I think about that world cup and how it helped my love for soccer grow. The day France won in 1998 I knew what I wanted to do with my life... Play soccer!
  11. Feb 9, 2018

Schneckerl New Member

His chances are worse than in '14 that's for sure. The other contenders are stronger than last time.

Spain & Brazil with stronger squads and you can add France to the group of tier 1 favorites.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  12. Feb 9, 2018

Raees Sporty Guy

@Gio @Theon isnt she your attacking mid from the serie A draft?
  13. Feb 9, 2018

El Pasillo New Member

The idea about Zidane single handedly carrying France to WC-final is pretty much laughable tbh.

Players like Henry, Malouda and Ribéry were all important players going forward and France only conceded a grand total of 2 goals before WC-final.

Speaking about France-Brazil, I definitely think Zidane did well.

But the way people are describing it, you may believe Zidane pulled off an all-time great perfomance lmfao.

Here's a list of way better individual performances from just World Cups.

- Baresi vs. Brazil - 1994 WC Final
    - Pelé vs. Sweden - 1958 WC Final
    - Gentile vs. Argentina/Brazil - 1982
    - Cruyff vs. Bulgaria - 1974
    - Eusebio vs. N. Korea - 1966
    - Zico vs. NewZealand/Argentina - 1982
    - Rossi vs. Brazil - 1982
    - Maradona vs. Italy in 1990
    - Baggio vs. Bulgaria - 1994
    - Maradona vs. Belgium - 1986

Also, people are forgetting that Brazil during World Cup 2006 weren't really that good despite having some fancy names on paper...

They had defensive issues and guys like Adriano, R9, Roberto Carlos, Cafu etc. were past their peak.
  14. Feb 10, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Zidane was great against Spain in round 16 IIRC.
  15. Feb 10, 2018

Offside Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

The only good game I remember was between Slovakia and Italy which knocked Italy out. The Ghana - Uruguay was incredible drama too. So many crap games though.
  16. Feb 10, 2018

oneniltothearsenal Full Member

Supports:
    Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

I like this post very much. Except the Rossi one
  17. Feb 10, 2018

tentan New Member

2014 - Lots of goals, excitement and quality.

Great matches (to name a few):

Spain 1-5 Netherlands
    Germany 7-1 Brazil
    Germany 1-0 Argentina

Also most of the star players who usually don't perform at World cups did for once.
  18. Feb 10, 2018

Trikie New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    [deleted
  19. Feb 10, 2018

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

86, 90 & 98 with 1998 probably being the best.

The post 2000's World Cups have been bang average in comparison.
  20. Feb 10, 2018

Schneckerl New Member

Fascinating how the '90 world cup became really great 30 years later. They even made rulechanges because it was such a boring snoozefest.
  21. Feb 10, 2018

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

There was tension, drama and great match ups. Different kind of football. But a great tournament.
  22. Feb 10, 2018

Gio 4 times Redcafe Draft Winner

You’re spot on.

Although poor @TRossManUtd8 was referring to the 98 final and he’s right that Zidane was excellent in that game. Didn’t do a whole lot before that to be fair.
  23. Feb 11, 2018

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    I am going to start by the worse:

Definitely 1990 WC, the only ones I know who miss that WC are from England, maybe some Germans because they won, also some Italians because they had probably their best squad, some would say 1982 others say 1994, for me the 2 best teams of the tournament were by far Italy and Germany.

Argentina under Bilardo was really struggling, Maradona wasn't even at 60% of his best, I remember their first match against Cameroon the amount of criminal tackles he and Cannigia suffered during that match, it was criminal, when I see others saying Messi is the best of all time :lol:

If Messi received the same treatment Diego received in WCS, Uefa Cups, South American Qualifiers or in Serie A, at the time the most demanding League in the World, be it from the tactical point of view, man marking was pretty common at the time, only Sacchi started to change it, or the concentration of top level footballers spread around the league, it isn't even funny to compare what Diego had to face, I think at 25 Messi would be finished, only my opinion.

England contrary to popular perception now, they had a great manager, Bobby Robson, who after that WC went to the Netherlands for PSV, then 4 more years in Portugal, 1 and a half at Sporting, where Sousa Cintra our President at the time sacked him for the first time in his life, after that he went to Porto and then Barcelona, probably he and Venables are the latest English managers who were successfull abroad.

England had a great generation of players at the time, the quality of football wasn't great, actually they only won 1 match in 90 minutes, against Egypt if I am not wrong, were outplayed by Cameroon in the QF, won in the last minute of extra time vs Belgium, and played their best match in the semis vs Germany.

The quality of play was so bad, that after the tournament FIFA decided to finish the backpass rule, not so sure about the offside rule.

Strange because it was in Italy, great crowds, great players and squads, the country with the best league in the world by far at the time, but instead of Total Football it was Anti Football at best, I mean Cameroon was more exciting to watch than Netherlands, Ireland or England.

After that I think 2002 was a disaster, not only for me because had great expectations with Portugal at the time, but 2 years after Euro 2000, when we were at our peak, we went to that competition with a disaster of a manager.

Then Argentina with Bielsa eliminated, much better players Argentina had at the time, then France another disaster, players tired and older, and then the robery of referees with South Korea, starting with us when we just needed a point and finished with 9 players, even if the first 1 was fair, then Italy where Trappattoni almost had a heart attack, and last but not least the total disgrace with Spain, corruption made in FIFA.

Strangely Germany went to the final with possibly their worst generation of players of all time, where only Kahn and Ballack were probably top top players imo, the others were ok, but for German standards not good enough.

Even Brazil imo they had top players, won all matches but imo Scolari wasn't a great tactician, more a motivator.

The best has to be 1998 followed very closely by 1994, where it was a transition from pre Bosman ruling to post Bosman ruling, where everything changed, rules designed to stop anti football, criminal tackles, creative players had more protection from those rules and referees, also 1994 or 1998 was probably the last WCS of the classical 10's.

I mean 1994 we had Romario, for me the most genial striker inside the box in the 90's, you had Baggio who in the 3 matches before the final and with doubtfull physical condition, literally was the game changer on a squad with world class players in every position, structured with players from AC Milan, with Baggio and some others from Parma, Lazio and others.

Not forgetting Stoitchkov performances during the tournament.

Also mention other number 10's not so popular today like Hagi from Romania, Balakov from Bulgaria and many others.

1998 we had Ronaldo Fenomeno at his best, Zidane more decisive in the final because he received the red card vs Saudi Arabia, Michael Laudrup with 34 or 35 don't remember well, with a technique if it was done today it would embarass Pogba or others (sorry about that United fans), not to mention the splendid Bergkamp followed by kids from Ajax who played better football than experienced players, and of course the wonderful Croatian team, with Suker, Boban.

All in all I think its harder now to have better football now at the end of the season for a variety of reasons, top players are totally burdened at the end of the season, not saying its the only reason for Cristiano or Messi to not play at the same level, but does anyone here expect someone like De Bruyne to perform like he does with City?

Better talk about that when it starts in Russia, probably will support Spain, after we leave Russia with 0 points trashed by Lopetegui, Morrocco,Queiroz the Persian revenger, and Santos trying to figure out a team who can make 3 passes in sequence. :lol:
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  24. Feb 12, 2018

Mr. MUJAC Talent spotter

1970, 1974...1982
  25. Feb 12, 2018

TRossManUtd8 New Member

Meh.. I think you are being a bit harsh there using the word laughable. Remember in my post that I commented I was 14 years old in 1998 and it was the first world cup I watched. The only game I remember was the WC final France vs Brazil and in my young mind Zidane was epic. Sorry that my comment is laughable to you but I was to young to have watched ANY Of the matches live you posted that are "way better" in your opinion.

I still stand by my comment that Zidane in the WC final vs Brazil is one of the best matches I have ever watched.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
  26. Feb 12, 2018

2cents Full Member

You and @El Pasillo are talking about two different tournaments 8 years apart.
  27. Feb 12, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

98 was glorious for the quality of the teams and the players on show, but I was 8 at the time. 2006 was pretty good but 98 captured the imagination so well.

2014 group stage was mega but the knockouts were terrible and I think we all got a bit carried away because 2010 was terrible throughout and it was in Brazil so we enjoyed the samba spirit.

Too young to remember watching any of 1994 (was just getting into football at that point), 2002 was okay but I didn't see all the matches and I was three months old in 1990.
  28. Feb 12, 2018

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    USA 94 for me, perhaps because it was the first one that I lived intensely.
    Then, for some strange reason I have a good memory of certain games played on very sunny days, and that is why I would also highlight Spain 82, or México 86.
    Despite the good players and football movements in 70-74-78 I see the game style very outdated and I hardly couldn´t finish a game
  29. Feb 12, 2018

Schneckerl New Member

I don't know man. Don't think it had more tension and than other WCs. Most importantly the star players didn't really show up compared to '86, '94 or '98.

If you're an England supporter I understand your opinion, because you obviously had a real chance to win it.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  30. Feb 12, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Yes Italia 90 is loved in this country simply because it was a world cup in living memory when England weren't actually terrible in it so the nostalgia overflows.

It was an important point in English football history aswell. Suddenly neutrals got interested in football, Sky showed premier league two years later and we get the global event we have now with the Premier league.

If you take it as a whole hardly any goals, lots of violent play and teams getting though in the group stages so didn't even win a game (ROI).
  31. Feb 12, 2018

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Back when intentionally elbowing a striker in the face was a perfectly valid defensive play rather than penalty and red card :lol:
  32. Feb 12, 2018

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    haha bastards, although years later his face provided great memes :lol:
    [​IMG]
  33. Feb 12, 2018

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    He earned that retroactively two years later, the cnut :lol:
  34. Feb 13, 2018

United never give up New Member

Lionel Messi will win the World Cup and be confirmed as the greatest sportsman of all time

I'm not saying that Argentina should be considered favourites (on paper they aren't tier 1 I agree), its just a gut feeling that I have in fairness

BUT - Germany should be considered on a par with Brazil/france and above Spain IMO. Spain are (on paper) 4th best out of that lot
  35. Feb 13, 2018

DoubleRevv New Member

isn't this topic poll worthy?
  36. Feb 18, 2018 at 09:07

Ljungster New Member

World Cup 1994: Sweden grabbing a 3rd place, best swedish world cup song ever, best swedish documentary on a world cup. The only problem was that I was only 2 years old so I don't remember a whole lot.