Who is the most UNDERrated player in PL history?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by BaseFishing, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jan 10, 2019

jesperjaap Full Member

Dont think most players mentioned have been under rated. For me Ricardo Carvalho was world class and hardly ever gets mentioned when we talk about great premiership centre backs.
    Tugay is loved by his fellow players (virtually every player I have seen do there 1-11 that played with him, he is the one they rave about), Im pretty sure it was him ran rings around us for Galatassary years ago and he was always often unnoticed but did everything perfectly for Blackburn, great player, the other one who I think is one of the best foreigners to have graced our league and like Tugay should have played for an elite club would have to be Jay Jay Okocha.
    Finally purely for never having won individual awards which is a bit of a joke would have to be Aguero
  2. Jan 10, 2019

Monkey bus New Member

Fernandinho is the new Kante in that he’s the most over rated under rated player in the league.

Both good players like.
  3. Jan 10, 2019

pauldyson1uk Full Member

Never gets the credit he deserves , even by United fans.
    For me never had a bad game.
  4. Jan 10, 2019

RMD83 Full Member

He’s loved by united fans and considered by many as the best LB we ever had. How is he underrated? Maybe it’s just from a generation of united fans post Irwin because I have found that the vast majority of fans of my age and older hold him in higher regard than Evra. Also whenever you hear a panel discussing the best players of all time in premier league history his name regularly comes up for LB. in fact it usually comes down to Irwin vs Ashley Cole for the best ever (in PL era).
  5. Jan 10, 2019

Sparky Rhiwabon Full Member

I’m sure he’ll have been mentioned but has to be Michael Carrick. Started getting the recognition of how good he was towards the end of his career but it too little too late.
  6. Jan 10, 2019

Edgar Allan Pillow Was AFC, likes them hypoallergenic - no feathers

Second that. He made Terry look good, which is something.
  7. Jan 10, 2019

tomaldinho1 Full Member

You'd be surprised how often I used to hear my non United supporting friends knocking him. I think some people just have a very basic sense of who is good and bad, rather than which players compliment a team as a whole.

Prime example being our country's tragic attempt at persisting to fail with finding a way Gerrard & Lampard could play together
  8. Jan 10, 2019

RMD83 Full Member

I would say that untill maybe 2012 carrick was about as loved at united (by united fans) as fellaini. Boring sideways carrick. And I have said in this thread myself that I was guilty myself. Maybe not underrated but certainly under appreciated. It was only when the legends we had loved in midfield had left, retired or were getting old that the acknowledgement of what carrick offered was really seen. I would have sold him for peanuts at one point but like Giggs once said “he’s so good at what he does, it looks effortless so some fans feel like he isn’t doing much” (not an exact quote but something along those lines).
  9. Jan 10, 2019

Renegade New Member

I might be way of the mark here but could it be because his quiet boring looking with a boring name that people assume he may be underrated? As far as I’m aware his always mentioned as one of the best LB in PL history alongside Cole. He gets rated higher than Evra in all time UTD 11s. Even sometimes at RB over Neville. I think his rated pretty fairly.
  10. Jan 10, 2019

RochaRoja Full Member

Probably not the most underrated but Sylvain Distin was very underrated during most of his career and is almost forgotten now. He had everything as a central defender and I still can’t quite understand how Arsenal didn’t sign him during their transitional period in the mid ‘00s. Their trophy drought would’ve been over much earlier with a centre back of his class playing instead of some of the muppets Wenger signed.
  11. Jan 10, 2019

RMD83 Full Member

It might be. Then again it maybe internet culture where people create a narrative that doesn’t exist. Some of the most celebrated players in recent history have been named as underrated on this thread (some are good calls as well in my opinion). Irwin for example is beloved and respected by united fans and neutrals alike. Anytime I’ve seen a panel of journalists, ex pros, pundits his name comes up at least in the top 3 but his name has come up at least 10 times in this thread as if he is some sort of relic of yesteryear that time has forgotten. It’s baffling.
  12. Jan 10, 2019

Raven Full Member

Rio
  13. Jan 10, 2019

RMD83 Full Member

Recognised as one of if the best CB in the last 20 years in the PL? Your trolling surely?
  14. Jan 11, 2019

Raven Full Member

You might think that, but almost anyone I speak to from work, etc. Think he was overrated and couldn't really work out what he does.
  15. Jan 11, 2019

MetoTTT New Member

Ji-Sung Park, Gallas, Saha, Xabi Alonso for me.
  16. Jan 11, 2019

kiristao Full Member

Amongst the United players I would have to go with Carrick. Was one of the first names on the team sheet during our most successful period in England and Europe and yet people think we overpaid for him at 16ml.
  17. Jan 11, 2019

sallycinnamin Full Member

Muzzy Izzet maybe not the most underrated but one of the most.
  18. Jan 11, 2019

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Think he topped the PL assists charts back in one of the early seasons!
  19. Jan 11, 2019

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Aguero is probably a fair shout given the lack of official individual recognition he has recieved.
  20. Jan 11, 2019

EwanI Ted Full Member

Came on to post exactly this.

Also, played in a team containing Muzzy, Eadie, Impy, Guppy and Cottee, which always amused me.
  21. Jan 11, 2019

simplyared Full Member

I've already put Nani's name forward. A lot going for Aguero which I would also go along with. Certainly doesn't get the recognition he deserves. I'd have him as the most successful South American player to grace the PL. If not foreign player!
  22. Jan 11, 2019

Manchester Dan Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    David Silva. Highly rated and still under rated in my view. He has just been outstanding for so many years now, still somehow seems to be getting better, and is becoming increasingly difficult to replace. Personally think he’s in the discussion for the best ever in the PL in his position.
  23. Jan 11, 2019

Bwuk Full Member

Maybe for longevity, but has there ever been a time when Silvas been looked at as Citys best player.

I can think of quite a few I'd have ahead of him either wide, at #10 or as a creative midfielder.

Unbelievable player but not in the PL best discussion imo.

Torres never gets the credit he deserves for just how good he was at Liverpool due to how bad he was at Chelsea. Fletcher got himself as a key member of our squad, got a career threatening illness and managed to reinvent and extend his career. Mikel Arteta is another who was class.
  24. Jan 11, 2019

Kag Full Member

After reading the Robert Pirès thread I’m tempted to say Ryan bloody Giggs. Anyway, I’ve got a few:

Alan Shearer was a phenomenal striker and one of the best out and out goal scorers the game has ever seen. That good. I think it’s forgotten somewhat.

Roy Keane is criminally underrated by anybody under the age of 25. Funnily enough, he’s more renowned for acting like a twat with Shearer and being a ‘hardman’ than he is for his incredible ability to play football.

And, bear with me, John Terry. It’s already been suggested in here that Carvalho made him look good, which is total fantasy. He gets no credit for being great on the ball. His passing, particularly on his left peg, was as good as anything you’ll see in England today. Yes, better than the walking miracle that is apparently Virgil Van Dijk. For some reason he has this reputation as being a bit of a bruiser but he was that and a whole lot more.
  25. Jan 11, 2019

paulscholes18 Full Member

Freddie Ljungberg
  26. Jan 11, 2019

Pink Moon Full Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    I've thought he's their best player since they signed him.
  27. Jan 11, 2019

meninred New Member

Another player-Teddy sheringham. Criminally underrated.One of the most intelligent players i saw in premiere league era.He plays with purpose.
  28. Jan 11, 2019

Chipper Full Member

Kasey in goal as well.

Edit: Gerry (Taggart) in defence too. Not to mention that Impey and Cottee were Andy and Tony.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  29. Jan 11, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur

I don't even know where to start with that. You thinking that Wilshere is better than Scholes is remarkable for a starter.
  30. Jan 11, 2019

Bobski Full Member

Every time I read one of the overrated discussions the generation gap always strikes me. You have people discussing players who they clearly only know from reputations and highlights. Add in the idea that football has somehow advanced massively in l10/15 years and you get this weird judgment of players. There is a great deal of overlapping in players career, guys who started in the 90's, Giggs for example, played with guys like Mal Donaghy and Neil Webb who in their youth were playing with guys who started in the 70's, while also hanging on long enough to play with the likes of James Wilson, Januzaj who might end up retiring in the 30's if their careers go very well.

With Terry you have this strange idea that being able to pass out from the back is a relatively new idea for defenders. Football is cyclical, a style of play is very rarely entirely new, but more an iteration of a previous idea gone out of fashion.
  31. Jan 11, 2019

EwanI Ted Full Member

Ha. Love it.
  32. Jan 11, 2019

TheThingThatShouldNotBe New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Lampard - would be heralded as one of the Premier League’s all time greats if he played for anyone else. Ridiculous number of goals and assists, all from midfield. Wonder goals, goals in big games, longevity...ticks every box.

Rooney - Again, crazy number of goals and assists. I think his personal life and latter career overshadows his best moments. Also had a penchant for the spectacular.

Aguero - can’t stand the little shit, but never really gets spoken about on the same level as other “top” PL strikers. Probably because he plays for City and no one cares.
  33. Jan 11, 2019

Casanova85 New Member

Supports:
    FC Barcelona, Manchester Utd
    Zola.
  34. Jan 11, 2019

Wonder Pigeon 'Shelbourne FC Supporter'

Supports:
    Shelbourne
    Brad Friedel might not have been absolute top class, but both Blackburn and Villa found it a lot harder to coast along in mid-table when they couldn't rely on him to play every minute of every game any more, and he even managed to fit in a quick, respectable stint in that swash-buckling early 10s Spurs team.

Maybe there needs to be more time for people to look back with nostalgia but Zabaleta was the solid 7/10 for Manchester City for years, won everything domestically, was the top right back in the league for a bit and deserves a bit of kudos for holding his spot for so long considering City could buy anyone and he came in literally just as they struck it rich.
  35. Jan 11, 2019

Makelele New Member

Terry is definitely one of the most underrated players of his generation. No exaggeration. The combination of brute physique and world class technical abilities is rare in one player. He had it all. I guess he shouldn’t have been so good positionally so that he could have made more recovery tackles to show he is world class. That seems to be a hallmark of a good defender these days, last minute tackles to make up for horrendous mistakes seconds earlier.
  36. Jan 11, 2019

Makelele New Member

Bear with me here, but I would like to throw in Oscar. I didn’t realise how gifted this lad was till I saw him live. You could instantly see why Mourinho fell in love with him. Just knew where to be and when to be there. Unusual and efficient technical ability. Tremendous agility and movement. And despite a small frame he was a terrier on the pitch. Real shame China tempted him away. I think he could have been among the top 10 players in the world at this stage of his career had he stayed.
  37. Jan 11, 2019

Josep Dowling Full Member

Yaya Touré hasn’t been mentioned I don’t think. That season he scored like 20 goals he was unstoppable.

Robbie Folwer
  38. Jan 11, 2019

Redplane Full Member

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.
  39. Jan 12, 2019

Raven Full Member

Nani. Best shout ever. Christ, the arguments I used to have with people.
  40. Jan 12, 2019

Flying_Heckfish Full Member

Likes of Aguero, Kankan etc shouldn't be in discussion.. Kankan was one of the most exciting players the PL saw at that time. Aguero is a player that was always way too good to simply be a merc at City, but delivered to his potential 100%.

Someone like Glenn Murray, now that's underrated! Same with Kevin Davies shout earlier.

He's a great player, again probably could have gone to much better/bigger clubs but you can't knock his application since he joinced City. Still, I don't think he enters any PL GOAT conversations.