Who will be next Chelsea manager? | Allegri next in line?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by TheReligion, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Jan 12, 2018

Spiersey Chelsea fan

Given our success along with Madrids and other clubs that rotate manager frequently, there's a strong argument that it is sustainable.
  2. Jan 12, 2018

Womp idiot

Madrid don't neglect/weaken the squad after every title win.
  3. Jan 12, 2018

Karel Podolsky New Member

Supports:
    Ex Laziale
    Yea would be great for United if other clubs only spend what they REALLY earn.
  4. Jan 12, 2018

Theonas Full Member Scout

That's relative though isn't it. Chelsea has had a decade that most clubs would snap your arm off for but you did not really have a truly great team in about 10 years now. By great, I don't even mean Pep's Barcelona level. I just mean a team that most would expect to make CL semi finals on a regular basis the way Juventus, Atlético Madrid or Bayern have been recently. No English club including Chelsea managed to build a really top team at that level for close to 10 years now and in the case of Chelsea, I think the constant upheavals and lack of any long term vision for the club is at least part of the reason. Note I am not arguing here that this vision need to be in the form of a manager per se because as you yourself point out, other top clubs change their head coach on a regular basis as well but there needs to be some footballing identity or style of playing that is preserved and honed to build a top team.
  5. Jan 12, 2018

Well their transfer activity this year has been mediocre by any measure and before that, they had one title in about 8 years so not sure if that's accurate.
  6. Jan 12, 2018

Womp idiot

Major trophy, not title. Also it was an example he used, one which if anything is made weaker by that point. It's ridiculous to suggest that a team can weaken/neglect their squad after being successful and continue to be ahead of the pack. Regular investments are needed to stay ahaed, to ensure others can't close the gap.
  7. Jan 12, 2018

Well obviously, I don't think anyone really argues that a team can weaken and remain competitive. The question is how to get that balance right between maintaining a winning formula through the togetherness and cohesion of personnel without neglecting to upgrade and refresh the individual quality. It's a tough balancing act that very few teams if any get right.
  8. Jan 12, 2018

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Klopp? Russian Disneyland and all, might be tempting. Could be a dangerous match that
  9. Jan 12, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Chelsea usually go for flavour of the month manager. Mad to think that's how AVB got the job all those years ago.

If Juventus won the CL could see Allegri ending up there.
  10. Jan 12, 2018

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Bit harsh judging our greatness compared to Barca, any team in English football history falls short in comparison to that side. I would say our 04-10 side were very much great, unfortunately we had to deal with the greatest manager ever not letting go. Put those teams of ours in the Prem circa 2013-2017 and we would have turned the it into a more expensive SPL.
  11. Jan 12, 2018

Vato Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    We actually just did that tbh. :lol:
  12. Jan 12, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Simeone seems like the next logical one to step on the Chelsea manager merry go round however it seems like every year he wants just one more year at Atletico
  13. Jan 12, 2018

Womp idiot

You're right it's difficult, but it's something Chelsea are notoriously bad at (at least recently anyway). They cruised the title under Jose and then neglected teh squad, cruised it under Conte and then neglected the squad. Regular investments are always needed. For eg. I don't see City standing still this summer, because they know we will be getting in players, getting closer to where we want to be.
  14. Jan 12, 2018

Womp idiot

Ye fair :p

Not something that usually happens though. You guys have always been quite good in the market.
  15. Jan 12, 2018

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Didn't City themselves have bad windows after their 2 PL wins? It seems to be a common theme with teams winning the league, infact United in 2007 is the last time i can recall the Champions having a really good window and pushing on. It's a lot harder than it looks, and also having to motivate well fed winners to go again isn't easy.
  16. Jan 12, 2018

Womp idiot

You're absolutely right, it's one reason I think English teams have been behind the other European giants in the past. It's difficult to gain success, a lot more difficult to maintain success. It's something a lot of the other European giants have figured out, the Bayern's, Juve's etc.

With City's pursuit of Sanchez and rumors they're looking to buy a big star etc. this summer, I doubt they'd make such a mistake again though.
  17. Jan 12, 2018

I think in my post I clarified that I was not comparing to Barcelona as that is unfair indeed. I also acknowledged that the last great Chelsea team was about 10 years ago which would be the 2005-2008 team. So I think we are saying the same thing actually. My point is the PL failed to produce a single team at the level of the Bayern, Atlético, Juventus or Real for close to 10 years now. So whereas Chelsea still managed to win trophies and are the envy of most clubs in the world, if their ambition is to be one of the best teams in the world which I assume it is, it really hasn't been achieved this decade. Among the factors for that in my view is the constant upheavals and lack of any identity to your team. It's patch up work every summer, albeit very expensive patch up.
  18. Jan 13, 2018

I don't disagree, I just don't think it's as clear cut of a formula as you make it sound. Real won the CL in 2016 for example and added nothing to that first team. On paper, many would see that as relaxing and allowing Barcelona who had won the league, to catch up with them, not to mention other top European clubs. The following season they go on and have an even better one. I remember back in 2006, we were far behind Chelsea, had lost RvN and our only buy was the far from glamorous Michael Carrick. On paper, it was horrendous, we were not only relaxing, we were embracing mediocrity. Luckily Sir Alex knew that the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Evra and Vidic simply needed more time together and thank goodness for that. I am not suggesting that the road to success is to not strengthen your individual quality. For every summer 2006, there is summer 2007 when we went out to splashed on Nani, Anderson, Hargreaves and Tevez and again that was the right move at that time. So I guess what I am saying that the cycle of teams and their progress requires different actions at different times. Sometimes your team just needs one more year of being together and developing further. Sometimes it actually needs individual upgrades.
  19. Feb 1, 2018

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

20. Feb 1, 2018

van der star newprawn warrior Scout

Luis Enrique or Max Allegri? Both would be decent options.
  21. Feb 1, 2018

bond19821982 Full Member

Can someone enlighten me - why is it difficult to lure Poch from spurs? Been hearing this multiple times. If Poch is interested, he won't care a penny about what Levy wants , right?
  22. Feb 1, 2018

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

Sam Allardyce
  23. Feb 1, 2018

squiggle Full Member

Supports:
    Ligue 1, Arsenal
    Being ex-Spurs might make it tricky? He didn’t name Chelsea alongside Arsenal and Barcelona as clubs he couldn’t manage, though.

I’m not quite clear on the Spurs-Chelsea rivalry, really. It seems a little stronger on the Chelsea side.
  24. Feb 2, 2018

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    It's just a group of Spurs fans repeating everytime someone mentions Poch, Kane or whoever leaving that they would prefer playing next year and maybe forever in their new stadium than winning more trophies and be paid thrice the wages elsewhere.

Maybe there's something in it maybe not.
  25. Feb 3, 2018

singabiru Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    The #conteout brigade is claiming that Sarri is the right coach because

1. He doesn’t question the Board regarding transfers
    2. He plays attacking Football

Naturally, these deluded bums don’t understand that Sarri would need to be backed by Roman for players that suit his system and we all know that he would never do that with the club being on an austerity drive. Also, Sarri will need time to change a club’s playing philosophy to an attacking one and Roman would never allow that at the expense of trophies.

I read that Diego Simeone rejected the chance to come to Stamford Bridge which is a correct decision as no ambitious coach would want to work under Roman’s penny pinching ways coupled with a demand for trophies which is pure lunacy in today’s money crazy Football world.
  26. Feb 3, 2018

The Outsider Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I read that he ruled out Chelsea yet would be open to Manchester United. Don't think he would be a good fit for Utd.
  27. Feb 3, 2018

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Out of interest, next time you go to Stamford Bridge will you treat your fellow supporters with the same disrespect and contempt you do on here?
  28. Feb 4, 2018

United_We_Stand Full Member

29. Feb 4, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter Verified Moaner City Lover

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    At some point Chelsea's hierarchy need to stop fecking with the manager and let him do his thing. If Conte leaves, what top manager currently employed will want to enter this kind of working environment with restrictions on spending?
  30. Feb 4, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Thing is Poch for all those here and there victory, he has yet proven him as a winner. And the effort to lure him from Tottenham would be equivalent to getting other proven top coach. With that context, you may have to reconsider whether it's worth all the effort. Also beside style of play, Conte has hardly been doing any worse than Poch. One doesn't get the backing but is expect to deliver, which is evidently true from all the story about his predecessor was put in under similar situation. The other despite not given the biggest spending budget is given plenty of freedom and reasonable expectation to aim for, yet hardly outdid his contest.

Just my opinion: if Chelsea has the time and resource to persuade Poch, maybe they should reconsider backing Conte more. Poch is no magic worker if the expectation is to win. Getting Poch without giving the players he needs is pointless. Poch + new players may prove to be more costly than keeping Conte and give him some players he needs. He proved himself.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  31. Feb 4, 2018

singabiru Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Thought you proclaimed that you put me on your ignore list? Can’t even do that - typical fickle #conteout fan. Hit a raw nerve eh? If you have watched the matches, you would know that the fans have been chanting Conte’s name which is a big credit to them and to the club. Unlike “fans” like you who side with the Board and demand impossible rubbish from the coach/manger.
  32. Feb 4, 2018

singabiru Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    He would if Man Utd wish to place pragmatism above style. I think he will eventually go to Italy.

It goes to show the idiocy of the Chelsea board by pivoting between Simeone who sets his teams up almost like Mourinho and Sarri who favours an attacking line up.

There is no intent to establish a Football identity and the board just lurches from one flavour of the season coach to the next. Eventually good coaches get wind of this and will turn down any approaches by Roman as in the case of Simeone.
  33. Feb 4, 2018

The Outsider Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Utd are not ready for just pragmatism they want panache and trophies.
    Sarri has only been mentioned recently yet we also know Pep was favoured before he went to City.
    Perhaps the board are just interested in a successful manager and playing style comes 2nd.
  34. Feb 4, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Why? We've been very successful doing it the way we do.
  35. Feb 4, 2018

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    Carlo,JM came back so maybe he will ?
    Some might look at it the Chelsea job thinking I could get get a 4 year contract paid up in full after 2 years work :D
  36. Feb 4, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter Verified Moaner City Lover

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    You see that run of success continuing?
  37. Feb 4, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Sure. Can't see why it would change now.