Who would you like as the new England manager.

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by jdmufc, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 10, 2012

I'm always right Banned

I don't see why it's odd. It's normal to want a manager with the same nationality and he's by far and away the stand-out English candidate. People also want him because after the drab personalities of Fab, Schteve and Sven... it'd be good to get some banter and enjoyment back into the national game.
  2. Feb 10, 2012

Team Brian GB Baby Cameron loves X-Factor

He is not the stand-out English candidate, he is the default English candidate.
  3. Feb 10, 2012

B20 Giggsy! Giggsy! Giggsy!

This. Tbf, he does have some qualification, but there is no qualified English competition whatsoever.
  4. Feb 10, 2012

Sewelly The Geordie Full Member

I want him to get it just to see him squirm once his cronies in the media start to turn on him.
  5. Feb 11, 2012

Sir Matt Full Member

What will he do when he realizes he can't buy players?
  6. Feb 11, 2012

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy

I'm personally looking forward to him attempting to tap up Gareth Bale and James McClean...
  7. Feb 11, 2012

africanspur Full Member

I think one of us Spurs fans needs to get in contact with Redknapp somehow reminding him of this very fact...
  8. Feb 13, 2012

Ray Peterson Reserve Team Player

Read an article in the Sun linked in one of the United forum threads about Harry. He basically praises Gerrard, Lampard and Parker alongside speaking of bringing Scholes back.
    He briefly mentions good young players too, but didn't name any.

By the sound of this article, those (including myself) who are advocating bringing the youth through might be frustrated under Harry. If he gets the job and picks the same old under-performers then I think even the most optimistic England fan will be downbeat.
  9. Feb 13, 2012

misterredmist Full Member

Rafa Benitez
  10. Feb 13, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

I count myself as one of those pro youth people, I would be fairly ruthless about it, almost writing off this tournament and using it as preparation for the world cup.

BUT. If Redknapp did go the other way and play with the same old players, much as I would disagree with the strategy, I am sure he would get better performances out of them than the last two managers have managed.
  11. Feb 13, 2012

Neo_Mufc Full Member

Who else is there English close enough to rival Harry?

Woy? Bags of experience, took Fulham to the Europa league final.

Harry doesn't really have much success as a manager but will this jump be too much for him?
  12. Feb 13, 2012

evra Full Member

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
    If Harry doesn't want the job then I would be completely behind hiring Hodgson; he's a good coach with a wealth of club and international experience.
  13. Feb 13, 2012

NJ1979 Full Member

[​IMG]
  14. Feb 13, 2012

Sw33t Full Member

Mick McCarthy.
  15. Feb 13, 2012

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou team LVG

why does the person need to be English?

the best manager in the league is Scottish

if they had any cahones they'd go for Mourinho
  16. Feb 13, 2012

MUFC07 Full Member

Guus Hiddink is the one if you don't want to be kicked out by Portugal on penalties or Germany.

:trollface:
  17. Feb 13, 2012

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    agree. Could do a lot worse than Hodgson.
  18. Feb 13, 2012

Neo_Mufc Full Member

Because the FA chose a foreign manager with limited english and are now using this "We want English" partly as an excuse to disguise some frailties in this England team.

Being the nice guy will only get Arry so far. If his cockney swag gets us the Euros so be it but this English manager crap is a load of cock on shit.
  19. Feb 13, 2012

Baby Faced Assassin Pastor of Muppets

Who I woud want?
    Van Gaal or Hiddink

Who will it be?
    'arry
  20. Feb 13, 2012

I'm always right Banned

I don't know why you think that. Italy, Spain, Brazil, France, Germany have only ever had managers with the same nationality and that's worked pretty well for them. When it's a national team I still prefer the nations to recruit a manager from that nation if possible. I understand Zambia, hell I even understood England as there were no stand-out candidates before, but now we have an Englishman who has earnt the job if he wants it.
  21. Feb 13, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I think Hodgson would be an awful choice for England. If you look at his managerial record, he's made his name at generally smaller teams. He's failed in some of the biggest jobs he's taken.
  22. Feb 13, 2012

Neo_Mufc Full Member

There's nothing wrong with wanting English, just do it on merit not because he's a likeable fella and that SSN regularly keeps him on the morning news via his car window.
  23. Feb 13, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Is it not on merit?

Have you watched Spurs?

He was the same likable fella when Capello was appointed, but he wasn't even considered and rightfully so, but now, he IS the number one candidate.
  24. Feb 13, 2012

Neo_Mufc Full Member

Have you watched England?

What makes you so sure that his attacking style will work so well with England.

No I don't think his appointment is entirely on merit and the media's (SSN especially) darn well done a good job of keeping him in the spotlight before he gets the job.

1 FA cup and fancy football isn't good enough IMO.
  25. Feb 13, 2012

I'm always right Banned

The first part of your post makes zero sense.

The second part, well, I think Spurs being 3rd and playing stunning football is what is keeping him in the spotlight but fair enough, it must be all down to SSN.

He's not the best because of "fancy football", he's the best man for the job because of the job he has done, he EARNT a crack at Spurs and now he has worked wonders with them, and now he has EARNT a crack at the England job, no question.
  26. Feb 13, 2012

We got arguably one of the top managers in Europe and it hasn't worked. We qualified well, although we haven't played particularly good football. The problem is that we look inhibited at Wembley and we froze in South Africa.

Spurs are playing nice football, as an Englishman, I'd like to see England playing nice attacking football. I'd rather we bomb out of tournaments playing the beautiful game than bomb out playing like we did in South Africa.
  27. Feb 13, 2012

Neo_Mufc Full Member

My point is have England really been known for their attacking style? It can't be that simple where whatever he's done at Spurs he can do for England. England need more than a change of tactics to put fear into teams.

I just feel we should keep our options a little wider considering there are a few managers out there who have won more than Arry and could probably do a good job too.

Harry's the best English candidate yes.
  28. Feb 13, 2012

Neo_Mufc Full Member

As an Englishman, I'd rather us win dirty and win a competition than play great and get to the 1/4's.

I doubt scousers care much about their attacking style when it comes to talking about their European success in 2005.
  29. Feb 13, 2012

Bilbo Full Member

Harry is probably the best candidate full-stop. We need a manager who can get the players to shed this fear they have of playing for England. If he can get them out on pitch in the right mindset, his job is done.

Then we might actually find out if our team is really any good.
  30. Feb 13, 2012

I'm basing my theory on the high probability of England not being good enough to win a tournament. We are highly unlikely to get past the 1/4's anyway. why not do it with a bit of style, rather than play stuttering slow predicatable football.
  31. Feb 13, 2012

Neo_Mufc Full Member

Because we shouldn't have to resort to Wenger tactics.
  32. Feb 13, 2012

sammsky1 Full Member

:nono::nono: SAF and Wenger are far better candidates, if it was offered on a part time basis for the Euro's. Then appoint a new coach after that.

If they offer it to Redknapp on a temp basis, they would have been mad not to have begged SAF or Wenger to take on the role. That neither is English should not matter given our the recent appointments.
  33. Feb 13, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Harry's teams have always played attacking football the right way, I'd say the odd thing here is you suggesting that England "aren't capable of it". This is a squad that can boast:

Gerrard
    Rooney
    The Ox
    Adam Johnson
    Daniel Sturridge
    Welbeck
    Young
    Wilshire
    Lennon

Considering his previous jobs, I'd place a good bet that Harry can get this lot playing good football. Considering Capello bored the Madridistas despite some serious attacking talent in his squad, it's no surprise that he built his England team in the same vein.
  34. Feb 13, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Appointing a gaffer for the tournament only is a retarded idea, one that SAF has tried before and it ended in disaster.
  35. Feb 13, 2012

sammsky1 Full Member

Saf was much much younger and by definition, had nothing like the experience he has now, gravitas or knowledge that he has now .(it was over 25 years ago FFS!)... and he managed Scotland, for whom reaching round 2 of a World cup would have been the equivalent of winning it.

So a dodgy basis from which to make your argument.
  36. Feb 13, 2012

I'm always right Banned

It's still a terrible idea with zero forward thinking.

And SAF had a team with:

SOUNESS
    McLEISH
    STRACHAN
    AITKEN
    NICOL
    NICHOLAS

1 point was a disaster, and SAF was a very very good manager even 25 years ago.
  37. Feb 13, 2012

dumbo Full Member

Redknapp should and will be the next manager.

Still, let's not pretend that he doesn't have an incestuous relationship with the press. He has quite clearly been given an incredibly easy ride for the last decade or so. So much so that now this FA cup winner is seen as the remedy to the utterly useless wasteman (dench) who has only won multiple Serie A and La Liga titles and the Champions League (amongst other awards as a manager).
  38. Mar 2, 2012

Colin129 Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    So where are we on this?

Apart from Pearce would be a disaster and thankfully he has realised this for himself now.
  39. Mar 2, 2012

Rood nostradamus like gloater

I think Spurs are asking for too much compensation which is why 'Arry hasnt already been offered it - the FA have pissed away millions on various managers over the years so no idea what they can afford

Peace would be the cheap option but I hope to feck it isnt him - far too negative
  40. Mar 2, 2012

apotheosis O'Fortuna

I agree, Mourinho is far and away the best man for the job. England have good players, what they don't have is the belief that they can beat the top teams in the major tournaments.

Mourinho will instill that belief in them, simply because the players will believe in him. He is tactically brilliant, and knows what it takes to win tournaments. A no brainer for me, it may well appeal to Mourinho's ego too. If he really wants to be remembered as being truly special, then he has to do something truly remarkable. Imo there is nothing he could achieve in football that would be bigger or more memorable than winning a major international trophy with England. Even Fergie wouldn't have that on his resume!

He would be elevated to godlike status and revered forever more.