Who's Your Manager of the Year? NO JOSE HATE PLEASE

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by esmufc07, Apr 16, 2018.

?

Who is your PREMIER LEAGUE Manager of the Year?

Poll closed May 16, 2018.
  1. Pep Guardiola (Premier League winner, 18 wins in a row, likely to break points record)

46.7%
  2. Sean Dyche (Burnley 7th and could overtake Arsenal, beat Chelsea and drew v City, Utd, Liv, Spurs)

39.2%
  3. Rafa Benitez (Newly promoted Newcastle midtable, wins v Arsenal and Utd, drew v Liverpool)

3.5%
  4. Jose Mourinho (currently 2nd in league, 2nd best record v top 6, 2nd best defensive record)

3.1%
  5. Jurgen Klopp (currently 3rd in league, unbeaten at home and 2nd best offensive record)

7.1%
  6. Mauricio Pochettino (currently 4th in league)

0.4%
  1. Apr 16, 2018

esmufc07 Elvis has theft the building Scout

Pep will obviously get the award, some would say rightly so, but I think his achievements are somewhat diminished due to the money spent and the disappointing eliminations in the FA Cup (Wigan) and CL (Liverpool). Close to £500m spent and he's failed to take City past the 1/4 finals of the CL, the competition he's been brought in to win. No doubt they've had one of the best campaigns in PL history, but Pep will have taken City to a PL and League Cup double. Not to be scoffed at, but equally nothing remarkable (Perhaps being a tad harsh).

For me it's between Dyche and Benitez. Both have done a phenomenal jobs with limited squads. By rights Newcastle's team should be in a relegation fight and yet they could finish top half this season. Burnley securing Europa League football is testament to the work Dyche has done long term, and to Burnley for sticking with him when they were relegated a few years back. If I had to pick one it would probably be Dyche, though.

So who's your manager of the year and why?
  2. Apr 16, 2018

The Cat Full Member

All things considered I'd side with Dyche but am impressed with Benitez getting his head down and working to safety.
  3. Apr 16, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Has to be Klopp if we win the CL, but disregarding that, like yourselves, it's between Dyche & Benitez.
  4. Apr 16, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    This thread is ignoring a very obvious candidate but can’t bring myself to mention him.

Edit: Not any more.
  5. Apr 16, 2018

Borden Full Member

Wenger.
  6. Apr 16, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Isn't the award about the Premier League Manager of the Season rather than encompassing all competitions? Taking that into account:

Mine: Dyche
    Who will probably win it: Guardiola
  7. Apr 16, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Guardiola. Winning this league on a canter while playing good football, is still impressive no matter what the spending is. Dyche is a runner up but not better.

Hate to say it, but if Liverpool (hopefully not) win the CL, I'd have Klopp above Guardiola for MOTY. Top 4 and CL while scoring bucketloads is definitely up there.
  8. Apr 16, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    If it’s PL only then surely the best manager is the manager of the team that wins it? Seeing as City are breaking all sort of records in the process it seems churlish to dismiss what they’ve done because they spent a load of money. Especially when you havs a control case (i.e. us) to prove that it takes more than just money to be able dominate and play great football.
  9. Apr 16, 2018

unitedbhoy Full Member

Pretty much this.
  10. Apr 16, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Pep Guardiola.
  11. Apr 16, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Has been for the past three seasons but in 2013-14 Pulis won it for getting Palace to midtable. Was only four points between first and third that season. In 2011-12 Pardew won it for getting Newcastle to fifth but the title that season was decided on goal difference. In 2009-10, 'Arry won it for getting Spurs to fourth - title was close that season too. Rest of the seasons since the turn of the millenium the league winners won it.

With City storming to the title in the manner they have, with the longest winning streak and they're going to break the Premier League points record of course nobody else is going to win but what Dyche and Benitez have done is impressive too given their resources.

I think the Champions League final is after the PLMoS is decided anyway.
  12. Apr 16, 2018

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

Jurgen Klopp. Because Guardiola is hors concours.
  13. Apr 16, 2018

Champagne Football Full Member

Klopp by a mile. Has spent £250 million less net than Jose.

Has what looks like an underwhelming summer buying Salah and Ox after getting rejected by other targets and then lose their best player for 142 million half way through season and yet still manage to look like the can bulldoze over anyone.
  14. Apr 16, 2018

I'm not doubting Pep has done a brilliant job, he has, I just think Dyche and Benitez have also done so given the limited resources at their respective clubs. Especially in Benitez's case with all the politics that comes with Newcastle and the ownership issue. The way he's managed to navigate through that, having spent very little and with largely a championship club, I think is hugely impressive.

I just disagree with the mantra of PL winner = Manager of the Year, I suppose.
  15. Apr 16, 2018

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Pep by a country mile for me. They have broken records and won the title with ease, after a rather disappointing campaign last season.

Dyche has overachieved but Premier League quality drops below 6th place and he was up against teams of similar quality as theirs in his fight for Europa League. Everton were expected to finish above them for sure but they were completely dysfunctional for the whole season.
  16. Apr 16, 2018

Why does it matter if he spent more or not? They will finish in top 4, haven’t come anywhere near the title and have only slightly improved since last season in the league.
  17. Apr 16, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

Klopp if they win the CL. Otherwise Guardiola. For most of the season his team has been sensational. 1 bad week doesn't change that.
  18. Apr 16, 2018

Kostur Full Member

I don't like Dyche but probably him due to massive overachieving.
  19. Apr 16, 2018

JJ12 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Pep
    Dyche
    Benitez

In that order.

If it’s all competitions then Klopp would be in the mix too.
  20. Apr 16, 2018

21. Apr 16, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

Dyche by a mile.
  22. Apr 16, 2018

Champagne Football Full Member

They'll probably reach a Champions League final beating premier league favourites for European success 5-1 on aggregate. With a flood of goals in most games along the way.

I'm happy with progress under Jose but Liverpool have themselves possibly the best manager in the league. Respect where it's due
  23. Apr 16, 2018

SilentWitness ShoelessWitness Staff

Supports:
    Everton
    I reckon you need to take into account all variables i.e stature of the club/money pumped into the club from the youth team to the first team.

If it is purely the PL then Dyche for me. He's dragged a side from 20 losses the season previously and a 16th place finish to one which is most likely going to finish 7th, possibly 6th if they maintain their form in the remaining games compared to Guardiola who has, granted, built a collosal machine but has in comparison spent a massive amount of money and had a team which showed glimpses last season that they could have a title winning season with some fine tuning.

Dyche lost arguably his best players in Keane (despite how terrible he has been for us) and Gray in the window but has shown faith in some very shrewd signings from the Championship last season/this season and turned them into very capable premier league players.

A part of me does feel a bit biased towards the fact that for all of Citys superlatives they're only going to win two competitions, whereby one of the cups is a trophy that not many fans consider to be very important (Plus they didn't exactly shine in that comp - Bristol pushed them very close, and they only beat Wolves/Leicester on penalties).
  24. Apr 16, 2018

Subho611 Full Member

If I have to give it to someone right away then it has to be Dyche (with Pep coming a close second). However, if Benitez manages to keep getting in points for his team in the remaining matches then he would supersede Pep IMO.
  25. Apr 16, 2018

Captain Obvious Banned

Pep? The same guy who got knocked out in the champions league and fa cup? Benitez and Dyche are more deserving considering the money spent
  26. Apr 16, 2018

They haven’t reached the Champions League final yet. They are up against Roma as slight favorites but it’s far from done.

Before they actually win something I will hold off assessing Klopp. They looked like world beaters under Rodgers for a season too before it all went south.
  27. Apr 16, 2018

Rory 7 Full Member

I don't think you can say Pep after the CL performance.
  28. Apr 16, 2018

anant Full Member

Not Jose!
  29. Apr 16, 2018

Zoo Full Member

Dyche definitely. They even play good football.
  30. Apr 16, 2018

Speedicut75 Full Member

Got to be Dyche, for the voice alone.
  31. Apr 16, 2018

Nytram Shakes Full Member

Hate to say it but Klopp, semi-finals of the champions league, and quite close on points to us when they have a much thinner squad. Plus they play great football
  32. Apr 16, 2018

Thisistheone Full Member

Dyche has done amazingly well but Klopp if he bags the CL. The brilliant bastard.
  33. Apr 16, 2018

Skills Snitch

Guardiola, obviously.
  34. Apr 16, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

Dyche is a fair shout at the moment. Very good work from him. Some other good managers in the league punching above their weight but he's the stand-out candidate. Pep has done a remarkable job but the sheer amount of cash used along with his coaching takes some of the 'wow' factor away. Still going to be a record breaking season though so might be him.

Klopp would obviously be considered if he manages to bag the CL but I don't see that happening, as much as everyone fears it.
  35. Apr 16, 2018

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    Got to be Pep. He’s had them playing some unbelievable stuff this year and has won the league at a canter.
  36. Apr 16, 2018

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Should be Pep, whilst I don't think City are the best side EVA! I genuinely think they are the best side in the PL since 2011 or even our Ronaldo led side.
  37. Apr 16, 2018

izec Full Member

Moyes
  38. Apr 16, 2018

Swift Football Banned

Pep. City dominated the league so much that it even felt boring.
  39. Apr 16, 2018

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    Klopp
    Dyche
    Benitez
  40. Apr 16, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

I don't understand why the CL is mentioned but in case, Di Francesco.