Why do we care so much about a top 4 finish?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by worldinmotion66, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Feb 13, 2018

Miktercastus New Member

I would imagine that alot of our sponsers and commercial deals are possible due to the fact we can 'show off' their brands at the highest level.

Also as most have pointed out it helps attract the right kind of players or at least should do
  2. Feb 13, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Because something is better than nothing. Finishing in top 4 is better than finishing 5th, 6th or 7th. It is as simple as a race. You don't want to finish the last among your peers. Would rather be as far as away from last.

Players value playing in CL a lot. Nowadays most big clubs have loads of money. So the differentiating factors could be club location and CL. Being in Manchester, we cant really complete with Arsenal and Chelsea on location. So it is CL + Money that we could fight over. Obviously, some players wouldn't want one without the other.

And we have loads of money because we are somewhere near the top spots most of the time. If we keep going down consistently, all the money will start vanishing sooner or later
  3. Feb 13, 2018

Swift Football New Member

Dont want to say this but I find this post kind of stupid. Aren't the reasons "so obvious" why Top 4 is crucial.

We are Man United - but if we keep on singing our past laurels without doing nothing - it does not take long to slide off. To start with, many south americans prefer to play in Spain, rather than England. Yes, we are Man United, but we are no Real or Barca of late, and the very best players tend to wish to play for the likes of Real and Barca rather than us.

Isnt it common sense that everybody wants to be playing and testing against the best teams in europe in CL. Where Chelsea 'ready' when they won CL in 2011/12 when they finished on 6th position in the league?

Regarding Europa, Sevilla won it for 3 consecutive seasons before we did, so does that make them better than Juventus?
  4. Feb 13, 2018

worldinmotion66 Full Member

Football is about winning trophies, no player will look back and proudly boast finishing in the top four for five consecutive seasons.

Sevilla are progressing nicely having made the jump to the Champions League latter stages this year. Do you think Buffon would trade three Europa League medals for his Champions League final appearances? Obviously he wouldn't trade his time at Juventus with Sevilla
  5. Feb 13, 2018

Swift Football New Member

Ur logic = = Lets get relegated and win Championship every alternate year!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am sure Juventus would not trade their CL final match with 3 europa titles.
  6. Feb 13, 2018

worldinmotion66 Full Member

Comparing CL/Europa with PL/Championship is everything that is wrong with modern football. Before European football was rebranded, every game in Europe was a big deal. To win the Cup Winners Cup was a big deal. To win the FA Cup was a big deal.

I don't think the CL is the be all and end all of football, every competition has it's worth. I'd love us to be winning the CL again but we are nowhere near it, and I don't see how finishing fourth is an accomplishment. The prize of winning the league and becoming champions should result in competing in the Champions League, no other team should be rewarded in this way.
  7. Feb 13, 2018

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

Nah,4-5 seasons out of the CL and the top top players wouldn't want to touch us with a barge pole.I don't really care about the financial rewards(that's for the executives to worry about) but I just love to watch us play CL football.Its one of the greatest thrills that any supporter can have,to see your team come up against the best in Europe on a Wednesday night.Plus it's a trophy that is comfortably as big,if not bigger than the League...I would be devastated if we go 2-3 seasons without the CL....We just have to keep qualifying for the CL season after season....
  8. Feb 13, 2018

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

Nah,4-5 seasons out of the CL and the top top players wouldn't want to touch us with a barge pole.I don't really care about the financial rewards(that's for the executives to worry about) but I just love to watch us play CL football.Its one of the greatest thrills that any supporter can have,to see your team come up against the best in Europe on a Wednesday night.Plus it's a trophy that is comfortably as big,if not bigger than the League...I would be devastated if we go 2-3 seasons without the CL....We just have to keep qualifying for the CL season after season....
  9. Feb 13, 2018

buckooo1978 Full Member

whilst top 4 is a more recent 'achievement' in relative terms it represents success in a number of ways;

1. in a season where City are fantastic and the rest are pretty good, finishing top 4 represents progress

2. status - the best teams play in the CL.... we should be in that group

3. money....spending the way we do and paying our wages its useful to have that input so we can buy our next shiny thing

4. top players want to play in top competitions

5. fixtures....no one likes Thursday Sunday do they
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. Feb 13, 2018

Theonas Full Member Scout

Perfectly summed up really. It's a measure of quality. If you finish higher up than Spurs or Liverpool, you are very likely doing something right. Something that indicates you are not far off. That in itself is something to take seriously. The status point is also weirdly ignored by some. Whether we like it or not, the CL is the place to be for most people involved in football. It is where legends are built and where the best players make their name. It is also where brands and profile are enhanced. You might disagree with it but you cannot bury your head in the sand when this is simply the current reality.
  11. Feb 13, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Agree 100%, and if you can't enjoy your team play in the Champions League then you don't really enjoy watching your team on the biggest European stage then I don't know why you follow football.
  12. Feb 13, 2018

ghagua Full Member

Finishing in top 4 is not an accomplishment for United with the goals that we have, but a necessity. If you don't understand that, there is no point in anyone trying to change your mind. As for winning the league again, I fear we have a long wait for that to happen again.
  13. Feb 13, 2018

Nytram Shakes Full Member

beyond the obvious of a champions league place, its a measure of how well you've done, big teams like us the minimum ask is champions league qualification.

For me this season anything other then 2nd is a failure, we have on paper the second best team and squad in the league and if we don't at least live up to that we have underachieved.
  14. Feb 13, 2018

Cassady Not to be confused with Cassidy the United fan

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    We do. Or a certain generation of us do. We expect to big in Champions League ( I even find it hard calling it that ) every season no matter how shit we are . We feel we should be there and I guess United fans feel the same.
  15. Feb 13, 2018

Cassady Not to be confused with Cassidy the United fan

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.

I get your first point but you are speaking out of your arse mate. Your second point I get too but Liverpool proved in 2005 that it can be done.
  16. Feb 13, 2018

flappyjay Full Member

Even if we get beat I still like seeing us play the top European teams. So far this ucl season has been boring for him because we Have only played sides everyone expects us to beat.
  17. Feb 14, 2018

Vato Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Why do we care about winning?
  18. Feb 14, 2018

Paz ex-Goldman Sachs Janitor

Who are we again?
  19. Feb 14, 2018

whatwha Where's my diarrhea damnit

I enjoy watching us play on those Tuesday/Wednesday nights against top European teams. :) Don't really care if we have a low chance of winning the whole thing, though if we were able to compete against the very best that'd be even more fun.
  20. Feb 14, 2018

L1nk Full Member

What even is this post? I'm not even sure this requires an answer, but if you want a simple one, It's because if we don't get top 4 and no cups then we are going backwards from last season, which i'm pretty sure nobody wants to see.
  21. Feb 14, 2018

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    So overrated. I wouldn't trade this season for anything :lol:
  22. Feb 14, 2018

ThatsGreat New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Its a cup competition where the best team doesn't necessarily win. See Chelsea, Liverpool and even Inter to a certain extent. Its like rolling a pair of dice, you don't know what you're going to get, if you get Barca at the top of their form then you're luck is off. But if you get a easy run you can get very close to glory. But not qualifying for the CL means you don't even get to roll the dice.
  23. Feb 14, 2018

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The best teams play in the champions league.

How can we compare ourselves to Real Madrid, Bayern etc if we don't even make the top competitions? crazy. Nothing to do with money.
  24. Feb 14, 2018

Cristiano Lell Global FA Rules Expert

Supports:
    Bayern München
    What's the point? The universe is expanding and someday it will break apart and that will be the end of everything.
  25. Feb 14, 2018

Dennis Viollet New Member

simple
    because the CL is the biggest and most important team competition, it allows you not only to receive a lot of money, but also a prestige that no other competition can give you
  26. Feb 14, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls

Not winning the title is a failure for a club like United, not qualifying for the CL is the failure of failures for a club like United. Pressure to win is consistent with being a big club, if you lose that pressure you are not a big club anymore. The pressure to win isn't an excuse to not develop players, you don't need to put a handful of inexperienced players at the same time on the field, no one does that, developing players means giving time to young players in a competitive team, a club like United will have most of the time 11 better individuals than 60% of PL teams, if we had a unit that was actually strong, one or two young players could easily be given a chance without hampering our chances to win.
  27. Feb 14, 2018

ValenciaRocks New Member

I think the original poster answered his own question.

We have no right to be in the champions league but we do have to earn it.

Personally I think Mourinho is doing the same as last season. He (perhaps secretly) believes that we have conceded any title aspirations and that we will preserve all energy for Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if towards the end of the season, even if it's still close, that Mourinho will rest players for the CL providing we are still there.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2018