1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't we win penalties anymore? | We're back!

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Samid, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Feb 7, 2019

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Yeah RVN was a solid penalty taker, though the two that always stick in my head are the two you mentioned.
  2. Apr 14, 2019 at 11:00

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

[​IMG]

Fergie Association :drool:
  3. Apr 14, 2019 at 11:05

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Our players must be training like ninjas to go down under contact, like Martial yesterday. Either that or, you know, Fergie Association :drool:
  4. Apr 14, 2019 at 11:06

JB08 Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Supports:
    Purchasing Kalidou Koulibaly
    fecking Gill :mad::mad:
  5. Apr 14, 2019 at 11:09

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

Scored 19 in a row of I recall.
  6. Apr 14, 2019 at 11:20

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

We have been so poor this season yet got so many penalties. A bit strange really since it is not like our attack has been great to create them either.
    City and Liverpool getting so few is a bit strange given how dominant they are.City is a bit funny since I think they have got a lot of penalties in the champions league instead. I think players might be very defensive against them and focused on not giving anything away. Although still crazy how few they got.

Zaha is really good at making them though for Palace. I guess Martial is too sometimes.

The main reason I think why we get so many is that teams feel they can beat us and so they go against us with high agression and confidence which sometimes results in errors.
  7. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:04

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Must be some sort of media conspiracy. A United penalty gets the whole world talking about Pogba's tippytappy run up.

And now it get's the world talking about OH SHIT NO TIPPYTAPPY RUN UP.

Or I dunno, maybe we're just a right set of divers.
  8. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:07

GeorgieBoy Full Member

Supports:
    Manchester United.
    How many of our PL penalties this year were given incorrectly or at least were a dubious call?
  9. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:09

A lot of the time it has just been the other teams doing really stupid things. Like the first penalty yesterday was just very bad to give away and the second too.

Crazy how many we have got though.
  10. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:12

Red00012 New Member

Some things went our way yesterday for a change , Liverpool style.
    I maintain martial wouldn’t have scored only he was brought down.
  11. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:12

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Players with pace always win penalties.

Look at Palace and Zaha.

When we had Young and Agbonlahor upfront we used to get 10 + a season aswell.
  12. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:17

Yeah although it is not like City lacks pace in the attackers though. I guess City just plays it so fast that the defenders never get time to even stop them with any bad tackles. Liverpool having had the luck with the refs for so many years might finally have got them against them this season. Although they give them offside goals instead.
  13. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:23

paulscholes18 Full Member

Less touches in opponents box than Palace :eek:
  14. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:27

Treble Full Member

Nah, that explains little as Salah and Sterling are among the quickest players in the league over short distances, same with Mane and Sane. Sane even holds the record for top speed in the league.

It's a bit ridiculous that Palace have twice as many pens as Liverpool and thrice as many as City. Sometimes such illogical things happen though. Also referee mistakes play some role, officiating is a bit poor for the standards of the league.
  15. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:35

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Palace also seem to get loads of penalties at Selhurst every season, last season they also got a huge amount and I also remember way back in 04/05 Andy Johnson won about ten on his own.

Zaha is an expert at drawing the defender, getting past them and making sure he's clipped as he runs past.

Didn't realise Liverpool and Man. City had so few, can't really give an explanation unless they all want to stay on their feet and score instead. Liverpool had about 5 offside goals lately to balance things out anyway. :lol:
  16. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:41

Alemar Full Member

Mata won us several penalties this season, including the one yesterday...
  17. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:43

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Was thinking more of Martial racing away and getting taken out, wasn't it Rashford breaking away v Southampton in last minute when he was taken out.

TBH apart from those those and also the ones you got v PSG (handball) and Leicester opening day (also handball) the only other penalty I remember Man. United getting this season was Everton and that was purely due to Pickford saving the Pogba penalty.

So I was a little shocked to see how many penalties you've actually had.