Why Man Utd are a very good bet for the Carling Cup

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Niall, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jul 3, 2011

Niall All Powerful Super Being

Man Utd have had a strong record in the Carling Cup in recent years and there is every reason for thinking they have another great chance to win the competition in the coming season and they look a very good bet currently to go all the way.

Many managers in the past decade have decided that the Carling Cup is an unwelcome distraction and that is why you can rule out all but a few teams and team that has to be top of the list when it comes to most likely winners is Man Utd. Man Utd have three Carling Cup victories in the past six years and it is clear that Sir Alex Ferguson sees this as an easy opportunity to pick up an early trophy in the season. This may well be Sir Alex's last season before retirement and if that is the case his efforts to win each trophy could be doubled. The current odds of 13/2 look very juicy on United winning the Carling Cup.

There looks to be very little opposition out there this season as far as the Carling Cup is concerned, Chelsea and Man City are the bookies' joint favourites. Chelsea have a pretty poor record in the competition recently and there is no guarantee that new manager Andre Villas-Boas will take it seriously, new foreign managers tend not to. As for City, they will be fully focussed on their Champions League Group stage and are unlikely to pay the Carling Cup too much attention this season.

Arsenal have never really put too much effort into the Carling Cup and might not be good enough even if they do whilst Spurs and Liverpool, who are the sorts of teams who could take a hand in the Carling Cup, will be hell bent on getting back into the top four and if the Carling Cup threatens to get in the way of that neither set of fans will be too disappointed to see a cup run come to an end. Everything points towards the fourth Man Utd Carling Cup win in seven years and 13/2 looks a great price on that.

For the latest Carling Cup betting news, tips and odds visit OLBG.com's football pages.
  2. Jul 3, 2011

FortBoyard Full Member

Assuming that all things are equal, who'd want to
    I'm a gambling addict Niall, and you are persecuting me taking me closer to the brink with every one of these gambling incentives.

For shame.
  3. Jul 3, 2011

Decotron Full Member

Must deposit more funds, Im betting on our new hospital
  4. Jul 3, 2011

ciderman9000000 Banned

Niall's betting strategy: always bet on United to win.

It's foolproof!
  5. Jul 3, 2011

Ixion Full Member

Its a pretty good strategy since the quadruple IS ON
  6. Jul 3, 2011

Minkaro Full Member

Quintuple, I'll have you know. EPL, CL, FA Cup, Carling Cup and the Community Shield.

Also we're going to become shock entrants into the Emirates Cup and win that too.
  7. Jul 3, 2011

Wes Banned

I've put ten grand on us to win the rumbellows
  8. Jul 3, 2011

IBleedRed likes to use pantyhose

I had a hypothetical betting question
    If you put X (say anywhere from 5 to 50) amount of money on united to win in every premier league game and they won drew and lost about the same number of games as they have in the last 3 seasons would you make a profit?
  9. Jul 3, 2011

ciderman9000000 Banned

No.
  10. Jul 3, 2011

lynchie Full Member

I bet a fiver on united to win each league game the season before last. Made a 12% return over the season.
  11. Jul 3, 2011

AgainstAllOdds Banned

Generally you would not, or make very little.

Season before last we had 27 wins out of 38 with 11 of them being away so you won money on better odds, however this season we only had 23 wins in total and 5 away wins which means that you would not have made any money and would have most probably ended up with a loss.
  12. Jul 4, 2011

lynchie Full Member

Very true. So it's a good thing I didn't do it this season just gone. Might do it next season though. Reckon there'll be some tasty odds on us in away games.
  13. Jul 4, 2011

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

--------------Lindegaard--------------
    Rafael----Smalling----Jones----Evans
    Nani----Carrick----Anderson----Park
    -----------Owen---Berbatov-----------

Subs: Amos, Fabio, Gill, Morrison, Pogba, Cleverley, Welbeck

Very strong possible Carling Cup side