Why weren’t we in for Ronaldo?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Kazi, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 11, 2018

Vilev Banned

That's what i want to know.

I just don't get people, a lot of fans here were ecstatic we signed Sanchez, who is rather old and his best days are most likely behind him. Ronaldo of course is not a force he was 4-5 years ago. But even though he's had an 'average' season, he scored 15 goals in CL and 44 goals in season. Salah having a season of his life is at 11/44. Honestly i just don't see the reason why we did not go for it. I definitely think Real and Ro could have been persuaded.
    Our attack could definitely accommodate one of two worlds best players.
  2. Jul 11, 2018

slir32 Full Member

This is true.
  3. Jul 11, 2018

dove Full Member

Our team is dysfunctional and we criminally lack players in certain positions. Spending all our transfer budget on 1 player (yet another one who prefers playing from the left side) would be insane, it would hardly fix anything. Getting RW and LB makes much more sense. Juve makes much more sense for Ronaldo as well. Weaker, less physical league where he will bang in goals for fun for the next 2-3 years. Guaranteed Seria A medal and a good chance to win CL as well.
  4. Jul 11, 2018

Wibble In Gadus Speramus Staff

100 million quid for a 33 year old with no resale value? I can't imagine.

And it has been reported that that was only the price to certain clubs - we would have been asked for more.

On a free or close to it maybe but otherwise no thanks.
  5. Jul 11, 2018

MrBest Full Member

A Ronaldo now and for next 4 year's will probably equal kane and lukaku at there peaks. He has gone from legendary to world class and will probably stay near that bracket for another few years. Look at ibra, went to PSG and reinvented himself and set that league on fire. Ronaldo is doing the same thing so for that reason, i think we didn't sign him because he didn't want to join the prem which perhaps would not allow him to prolong his career to 37. I would not be surpised if we got him for a year after that though before he heads off to LA Galaxy aged 38/39. I can see him playing until early 40s. He is an absolute machine.
  6. Jul 11, 2018

Vilev Banned

What we criminally lack is a real top players with a character.
    I am quite sure we could afford to spent much more in a window. Yes, we do have too many players at LW, but some could have been sold. Also we don;t have any player that even close to being in Ronaldo's league.
    What players we could possibly buy for this positions that would be even lets say 50% as good as Ronaldo is at his?

Al i am saying that Ronaldo is a kind of personality and a kind of player you just dump your strategy for and make it work.
  7. Jul 11, 2018

fallengt Full Member

Mourinho doesn't like to work with Ronaldo.
  8. Jul 11, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Would have been an exciting but very short sighted move. We need to be building a team the way Ferguson did dominating while the new generation transitions. Ronaldo would have been a short term benefit at very high cost. I like ronaldo but am glad we didn't sign him
  9. Jul 11, 2018

Seij Full Member

Yes, it would've great to sign another left winger who drifts in.
  10. Jul 11, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

He did not want to take up the same challenge he took up and won years ago.
  11. Jul 11, 2018

Ronaldo's Mum Eh? Ronaldo is shite

Signing Ronaldo would put us the closest to success as possible.

We have wasted our money (as of right now) on players like Sanchez, Pogba and Lukaku. All of these players have not been good enough for us. I'm sure we can waste some more on someone that will guarantee you success.
  12. Jul 11, 2018

Jaqen H'ghar I can't drive...55

Great player with a hell of a career. May well be the GOAT, and still has a couple of good years in him.

That said, from a United perspective, I'm pleased he's not coming back. To sell a player approaching his peak and then buy him back after he's given his best elsewhere, isnt what this club is about. Great players like Sheringham, Larrson, Ibrahimovich came towards the end of their careers and did a job for us. Maybe they weren't as good as Ronaldo, but none of them had agitated for a move away from United before either.

He was our star player, but thought he was too good for the club. Leaving aside the crazy money we'd have to pay, I don't understand how fans could want him back.
  13. Jul 11, 2018

Isotope Full Member

Willian, Toby W. for the future?
  14. Jul 11, 2018

Red_toad Full Member

He's 33 and wanted a long term very lucrative deal. Yes he's going to be very effective next season and possibly the season after, but once he's hitting 35 anything could happen with him physically. Also have to think how motivated he's going to be, he's won everything a footballer can, bar a world cup.
    I'm happy United weren't in for him. Seeing Gaz Nev in his latter years isn't how United legends need to bow out. I'm amazed Juve offered him a 4 year deal.
  15. Jul 11, 2018

slir32 Full Member

They are both 29 and have a good 3 to 5 year in them.
  16. Jul 11, 2018

Sereques Full Member

This. Most people won't believe or deny it but that is the truth. Serie A is the best place for him. They can get two more years out of him.
  17. Jul 11, 2018

Tony247 New Member

IIRC Ronaldo pays much less tax in Italy than Britain. Could be only money (tax evasion) motivated move, nothing else.

I am only speculating but I think Real owned his image rights or at least big portion of it. Most of it is earned outside of spain. In return they gave him big salary. They however did not help him in tax matter arised due to the same. Juve might have given up his image rights, in return less salary. Now in Italy you have to pay peanuts on money earned outside of country. This could make a lucrative deal for Ronaldo for next 2-3 years.

It is highly possible that Ronaldo himself did not want to come to Britain.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  18. Jul 11, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

I can see him going strong for another four years and then retiring after the next WC. If Juve can get 2-3 good years out of him (as in similar levels to last year) then they will be laughing.
  19. Jul 11, 2018

Tony247 New Member

If you observe Ronaldo he is in and out businessman. There is nothing emotional about what he does.
  20. Jul 11, 2018

kthanksbye Full Member

As much as I'd have loved to have him play for us again, I think the club has taken the right decision. Spending 60-70m/year on a player at a time when we have other areas that we need to address wouldn't have been the smart thing to do. Obviously, this is assuming we do spend that amount and a little more to get a LB and a RW at the very least, I think getting those signings right and changing our approach a little bit is going to improve us more than adding Ronaldo would have.
    If we had a well functional settled team and we were well covered in other positions (and I might get some stick for this), I'd have been ready to sell Lukaku for 2-3 years from Ronaldo, he's a once in a generation player.
  21. Jul 11, 2018

Aki_United New Member

That you invested so much work in your response, even looking for Youtube videos in a world cup semi final is proof enough for me that you are a CR7 fanatic.

I do not want to deny that Ronaldo was a great player for us and for some a legend, for me he is not. I also accept the opinion of these people, including yours. But still, I think it would be a huge risk to bring a 33 years old player back to the epl. The most balanced and difficult league. You can see from the answers here that I am not alone with this opinion. CR7 will not have the players he had at Madrid here, he would struggle. Juventus has a monopoly in italy, much like Bayern in germany, United has not in England. Safe choice for Ronnie to move to Juve.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  22. Jul 11, 2018

Reddy Rederson Full Member

I can only guess 73 grand a day had something to do with it.
  23. Jul 11, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Considering Alelxis makes that an hour I very much doubt that was an issue.

But seriously, wage demands are not going to be the issue. We can comfortably offer more than Juve.

This Ronaldo deal was right for all parties involved and that includes United.
  24. Jul 11, 2018

Crashoutcassius Full Member

He doesn't guarantee success. Even if he does st 34 does he still at 36 and 38
  25. Jul 11, 2018

Varun Moderator Staff

If you want the truth, why ask here?
  26. Jul 11, 2018

arnie_ni Full Member

We'll be absolutely kicking ourselves if he goes and scores 10 to 15 goals in the CL and juve win it.

Not convinced there front 6 (ignoring ronaldo) is that much better than ours so if he scores the goals that gets them the CL id have every reason to believe he'd have done the same for us
  27. Jul 11, 2018

padzilla Hipster

We have blown our transfer budget on Sanchez's wages and the club won't admit it.
  28. Jul 11, 2018

prath92 Full Member

1. Him and mourinho aren’t exactly in the best of terms. Because of this it was always unlikely that Ronaldo would want to come here and vice versa

2. For Ronaldo, Serie A is easier than PL. Juve are nailed on to win the league title unlike us who have to fight with at least 3-4 teams.

3. The deal is reportedly financed by Fiat whose parent company also owns juve. Juventus’ actual spending in this is very less. I don’t think such a structured deal would be viable for us

4. I also don’t think Perez would let him com to us for this amount
  29. Jul 11, 2018

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Ronaldo is the cherry on the cake, we haven't even got a finished cake yet.
  30. Jul 11, 2018

Red Star One Full Member

I won’t be kicking myself as I do believe the player had no interest in joining United, so there really isn’t much to regret. I’m kicking myself over few other players who could’ve joined us but we were not interested.
  31. Jul 11, 2018

Renegade New Member

Isn’t the answer simply, he didn’t want to come back?
  32. Jul 11, 2018

2mufc0 Full Member

1. financially it doesn't make sense 2. he doesn't want to come here.

Personally i think he did the right thing in terms of legacy, winning trophies in 3 countries.
  33. Jul 11, 2018

Reddy Rederson Full Member

United can, but why would they? 73 grand a day for a player on the decline doesn’t sound like a wise investment. But you are correct, it is a good deal for all involved. And to be honest, I’m glad we didn’t go in for him. As a club we are in some serious need of moving on. Too much living in the past by some of us. And ronaldo as good as he could be for us, is moving in the wrong direction.

Good to luck to him.
  34. Jul 11, 2018

Hellboy Full Member

+ 1
  35. Jul 11, 2018

ice-bionic red Full Member

He’s made the perfect career move. To continue his insane amount of goal scoring stats, almost guaranteeing more league titles, challenging for more champions league titles and winning more ballon d’Or awards which is his main priority to retire as the “greatest... if he signed for us then that is not possible. We aren’t in a position for him to accomplish those things
  36. Jul 11, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

I'd have had him back in a heartbeat, happily paying a new British Transfer Record.
    Why?
    Because it's Ronaldo!
  37. Jul 11, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

We didnt go for him because Mourinho must be happy enough with a low scoring team. We may still sign another attacking player before the end of the transfer window but I doubt whoever it is would score and set up as many goals as Ronaldo would.

Sure people are going to talk about the fee and his age, but chances are based on Mourinho's record here that we'll just waste that money on 2 players he doesnt get the most out of and dont improve us much. Ronaldo would have been more of a guaranteed impact for the season ahead.
  38. Jul 11, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

I’m a big Ronnie fan but I feel this ship had sailed about 2/3 seasons ago.
  39. Jul 11, 2018

arnie_ni Full Member

Should have been with the caveat if we didnt enquire if he would want to come back
  40. Jul 11, 2018

RW2 Full Member

Supports:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    I'd say he was offered to United, and JM refused.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.