Will Wenger leaving fix all the problem for Arsenal?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by AshRK, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Feb 25, 2018

AshRK Full Member

Now I am not an Arsenal fan nor do I empathize or sympathize that much with Arsenal fans but what I and many saw today was an utter disgraceful performance. We united fans have seen some dull performances over self since sir alex retired but to perform like this that too in a final was pathetic. Arsenal as a club deserve better than that.

Now question to all (especially all arsenal fans in this forum) is do you think is Wenger the sole problem, whether him leaving will fix everything? Do you all think new manager, be it Tuchel, will fix everything and take them to the top. I am really interested to know what Arsenal fans feel and how should their club act to take them at the top.
  2. Feb 25, 2018

el3mel Full Member

No. He destroyed the team. They have good attack but their defense, midfield and goalkeeping are all terrible and need a massive overhaul. The new manager will make them play good football with the attacking players they have but that defense and midfield will lead them nowhere.

They need at least 3 years to rebuild the team if Wenger leaves this summer.
  3. Feb 25, 2018

pcaming Full Member

No, it will only be the start. The team needs gutting and rebuilding, a new mindset and footballing philosophy. It will be difficult for whoever is the next coach as unlike us, Arsenal aren't going to spend nearly as much, so they will have to be very shrewd in the market. I think they will have the fans support at least for a few years so that is in any new coaches favour, but the board leaves a lot to be desired.
  4. Feb 25, 2018

Bwuk Full Member

No.

Look at their starting 11 today.

Honestly, how many of them would we want here? 3 maybe?
  5. Feb 25, 2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Was about to open a similar thread.

Absolutely not. He has done such a big damage by staying for so long that the new manager will need at least 5 years to fix it. We are basically back in 1996 when Wenger took over us.
  6. Feb 25, 2018

Canucantona20 New Member

Arsenal have too many average players, it’s going to take a couple years for them to rebuild. They really need Wenger to retire or the board needs to grow one and sack him.
  7. Feb 25, 2018

stu_1992 Full Member

No it won't fix their problems. But it will allow them to begin to address their issues. Their problems are mainly down to him. There's no quick fix by any manager, but he needs to go before any sort of turnaround can truly begin.

So hopefully, for us, he stays. :lol:
  8. Feb 25, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

Jesus no. But it would be a start
  9. Feb 25, 2018

Ballache Full Member

Is it completely his fault? Has he been properly backed?
    Where would this City team finish with Wenger in charge?
  10. Feb 25, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

No. It isn't going to solve all their problems. Half the squad need to be replaced and aren't good enough. Then the new manager needs a transitional period, buy his own players, fit them into the squad with some of the current players. Not having CL football isn't going to help either. It's a tough rebuilding job for them. I can see a very tough few years for Arsenal. I wouldn't want to be the manager who replaces Wenger that's for sure.
  11. Feb 25, 2018

AshRK Full Member

True. I also feel like most have pointed out here, your squad consist of a lot of junk that needs replacing. New manager may not be able to fix it straight away.
  12. Feb 25, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

No it won't. When he does leave it's going to get worse before it gets better. I think all the top managers are going to stay away, the next manager is destined to fail. If they get in someone like Arteta or Henry it could destroy their managerial career before it even starts.
  13. Feb 25, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Simeone would sort Arsenal out very quickly; theyd be defending a 1-0 lead like it's a cup final in every game.

Ramsey
    Ozil
    Xhaka
    Mustafi
    Kolasinac

All the above have performed at a high level in other situations

Gabriel
    Coquelin
    Walcott
    Giroud
    Chamberlain

All of these are now performing better having left Arsenal
  14. Feb 25, 2018

spwd likes: servals, breasts, rylan clark and zooey

No, but it’s the place to start.
  15. Feb 26, 2018

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Strange thread title. I drive my car without engine oil; it seizes. I ask the mechanic “will taking out the engine fix my car?”.
  16. Feb 26, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter Verified Moaner City Lover

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Yes. All you have to do is swap Wenger with an upcoming manager, or someone who knows how to park the bus and administer cojones. Keep everything else the same, and they'll be challenging for the treble the following season.
  17. Feb 26, 2018

bleedred Full Member

When Leicester won, the team which I feel was inferior, in terms of quality to the current Arsenal squad and also our squad in Fergie's last season was Meh...

If a new manager comes in with fresh ideas and they can put together some sort of run, they could do it. Gotta stay out of Europa league though!

So, it is possible that a new manager can come in and win the title, but it would be very very difficult.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  18. Feb 26, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Yes, it will help. But, not in the short run. In the short run, Arsenal will suffer. Arsenal has been Wenger through and through for many years. They don't have a proper transfer policy or anything other than Wenger.
    The vacuum will be too difficult to fill for a few years.
  19. Feb 26, 2018

NotBrendanRodgers honest Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    They will phase in and out for a few years like Liverpool after we fell out of the top 4
  20. Feb 26, 2018

Sylar Full Member

I think it helps massively. Because I think right now, Wenger doesnt think theres much wrong with the way they play, the way they set up or with any of the players in the squad (after all, every single one is his signing). And a lot of the signings look worse vs when they were bought.

In fact, I dont remember any other 'big team' lose as many games by heavy defeats like they do. Sure a team or do might have an off day, but they seem to get battered once or twice a season (if not more).
    They just give up so easily and that surely comes from the top. (they arent challenged or scared of losing their place).
  21. Feb 26, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Arsenal need a new manager to solve the problem but it might take a while. Whoever succeeds him will have a good base to work with because he's done a good job there. When SAF left we also lost Gill so not only did we get a somewhat naïve fool to take the helm (who made it worse by getting rid of the backroom staff) but his support from up top was also new and naïve (Ed caught on quickly though). On top of that the youth academy needed a revamp and the squad needed a culling. LvG did one thing right and that was the culling part but in the end he made such a mess of the squad that Mourinho had to begin to do the same thing as him. I honestly don't know where we would be now if Mourinho hadn't succeeded LvG. Not only did he bring his expertise and wisdom to the club but he also brought in connections to agents which is important in modern football. Connection that will sustain with Ed because apparently he's got a good reputation in the football business world, people like dealing with him. I'm not sure how good that part will be at Arsenal when Wenger leaves, maybe it will improve immediately.

Ideally for them they win the EL, Wenger calls it the day with a trophy and the next manager starts in the CL.

They're already doing that now with Wenger. 5th last season, 1 point away from the CL. Now they are 6th and they will 10 points away from 4th with 10 games left if they lose on Thursday. That's top 4 gone.
  22. Feb 26, 2018

Jonno Full Member

He's assembled an incredibly average squad of players to be honest. So if he leaves, they can start a re-build. That's presuming they get someone good enough to rebuild it correctly. In today's market, with their squad, it would probably take them about 5-6 years to build a squad capable of competing at the very top. They're about 6 world class players short of mounting a title challenge in comparison to United being 2-3 short.
  23. Feb 26, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Not suddenly improve if Wenger to leave now. At least they can start the rebuild phase IF they have a capable manager at helm. The damage has already been done. There is not strong foundation to just tweak the team and aim high. The core of the team ain't very strong let alone the other part. What's worse these guys are quite too indulged with Wenger's soft approach so unlikely they would respond to new approach. You can't buy 20+ players in one window.

With hindsight, they would have wishd they had sacked Wenger when they could still make top 4 comfortably.
  24. Feb 26, 2018

liamp Full Member

Agree with this. They've been in desperate need of a rebuild at multiple levels for a while now. Hiring Sanllehi and Mislintat and kicking out 2 Arsene loyalists is a clear sign that they've already started planning for the post-Arsene regime. It'll take a while for them to compete again, but at least they seem to have some sort of approach in place.
  25. Feb 26, 2018

Fridge chutney Full Member

Of course not. I think it will get worse before it gets better for Arsenal.

They need to open their purse strings and kick Kroenke to the curb.
  26. Feb 26, 2018

Luke1995 Full Member

It might. The new manager could pressure the owners to give more money and get rid of the poor players while motivating more the good ones. But there's nobody better in the market. The worst version of Wenger is still better than say for example, Ancelotti.
  27. Feb 26, 2018

Scroto Baggins Full Member

No, there would probably be a bit of a honeymoon period with a new coach. But the midfield for Arsenal doesnt convince me, looks too brittle, and the defense is just average. Theres always a thread somewhere with Liverpools defense getting slagged off. Yet Arsenal have conceded more goals than Liverpool.
  28. Feb 26, 2018

NinjaZombie Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

I don't get it.
  29. Feb 26, 2018

DevilRed Full Member

No. They probably will get worse before getting better.

The issue is they, like the dippers and spuds, dont have the money to compete with the top tier of football. Their ownership wont let them spend a penny more than necessary.

Thats why wenger has been in the job for so long. He doesnt require spending.
  30. Feb 26, 2018

meamth Full Member

I posted about this before, and it will take at least 3-4 transfer windows even if Arsene left/sacked.

Realistically how many high quality players can Arsenal bring in one transfer window in this climate? Probably 2-3?

Things are getting gloomy for them as the rebuilding process is much more difficult as the transfer price is going up in rapid fashion.
  31. Feb 26, 2018

Raees Boing Boing Baggies

Eventually yes, right away no. But they should get rid of him ASAP so the healing process can begin.
  32. Feb 26, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

It might be even worse than when SAF left but it's a start towards a new Arsenal
  33. Feb 26, 2018

Xaviesta Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    It won't fix all their problems but it'd be a step in the right direction. They need a quality manager, a personnel and mentality overhaul and a raising of the bar in terms of expectations at that club.
  34. Feb 26, 2018

NinjaFletch Full Member

Nope, but they need to rip the bandage of and start treating the wound before it festers and they have to chop the whole limb off.
  35. Feb 26, 2018

Steven Seagull Full Member

I thought he’d cracked the big game issues a couple of years ago with a very mature performance at the Etihad but they’ve seemingly learnt nothing from it. Very strange
  36. Feb 26, 2018

Jia_Ming New Member

Depends on who replaces him. They will also have to invest in the squad to be competitive again.
  37. Feb 26, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Immediately? No

Long term yes obviously. He's A- too loyal to a lot of players that just aren't good enough and B- spends the clubs money like it were his own and to be frank Arsenal need a Jose or a Pep who spends it willy nilly just to get what they perceive they need.

Wenger leaving might even give a lot of those players who we dont think are good enough a kick up the arse to improve as well
  38. Feb 26, 2018

RedRom "Where's Lingard?"

One swallow a summer does not make, he has been useless in big games for well over a decade.

Wenger has .ore often than not had very poor seasons, in fact his time there has been more of a failure than a success, yet gets lauded by the press and media in general for some unknown reason.

Because of him and Stan they are in a hugely troubling time, for which they might not recover from for at least a decade after Wenger leaves, if not longer.
  39. Feb 26, 2018

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

For all the talk about Wengers legacy at Arsenal, the only thing thats going to fix them is getting rid of him and all his players and his out dated philosphy and hitting the reset button.

It wouldnt be so bad if they had the core of a good side, but all he has is two decent strikers and the rest of them are a bunch of gutless flakes and has beens.
  40. Feb 26, 2018

RMD83 Full Member

Strange analogy. More like the car has run out of oil because the oil pipe is leaking. Instead of replacing the part you replace the oil level every two weeks and even though your wife is nagging you that the constant oil leak has ruined your block paved driveway you persist on repeatadely topping up the oil in the sad hope that the leak will fix itself.