Wilshere - where does the hype come from?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Twigginater, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 17, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Probably not to be honest.

I'm hoping Welbeck gets injured or doesn't get picked. I fear he will go and not have the best of tournaments with a fickle English following which will cause him to start the new season low on confidence. Normally I am for players playing international as it can benefit United, not sure how much positive we will see from Welbeck's side.
  2. Apr 17, 2012

Team Brian GB Baby Cameron loves X-Factor

Considering we have been without a manager for two months now and the FA are yet to be seen doing anything about getting a new one then I would say no.
  3. Apr 17, 2012

MikeUpNorth Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

Surely it's all been agreed behind the scenes and they're just waiting until the end of the season to announce it?
  4. Apr 17, 2012

That is putting faith in the FA which is an unorthodox thing to do, perhaps it is wise we didn't win the 2018 world cup bid so we don't put actual responsibility in their hands.
  5. Apr 17, 2012

Zen Full Member

I dunno, I won't go into firmly believing we have no chance to get out of it, I mean whats the point in being that defeatist? I've never thought we could win anything, or been one of these incredibly mythical "England gonna win!!!" fans that alot seem to think is our fanbase when its actually a very small percentage.

But if somehow, whoever takes over, uses their head and gets Carrick-Scholes tandem, who clearly both know eachother supremely well, and are having fine ends to the season, rather than the other 4(Parker, Barry, Gerrard, Lampard) all being inconsistent at best to end the year....I'd be more optimistic. Gerrard can take Rooneys role for the first two games though. Obviously Scholes wouldn't start the middle game though. Get him in there for france and ukraine, draw and win possible imo, so just need to scrap a result vs Sweden without Scholes, Wilshere and Rooney.
  6. Apr 17, 2012

I think Lampard is playing very well at the moment.
  7. Apr 17, 2012

TheHorse'sMouth Full Member

Scholes has to go. Scholes, Carrick, Ox, Milner, Parker and one out of Gerrard or Lampard for midfield options.

Edit: Overlooked the fact that Gerrard can't play in midfield to save his life.
  8. Apr 17, 2012

I think that would just end up being a rerun of Walcott going to the world cup in 2006.
  9. Apr 17, 2012

There is a Greek kid called Spandanoukis (sp?) in Masia who looks absolutely class, they have the attacking mid prototype down to a tee.
  10. Apr 17, 2012

Except Ox has been performing like a bison in the second part of this season and has shown he has what it takes to step up to the very highest level, while Walcott at that age hadn't even started a game for us. Ox is a far more accomplished player than Walcott was going into his first tournament.
  11. Apr 17, 2012

That is pushing it somewhat, he looks to be a very good option for the future and exactly that, I just think it is too early for him as it would have been for the likes of Sturridge or Welbeck 12/18 months ago.
  12. Apr 17, 2012

Zen Full Member

Nah, he's far better than all 3 examples used, he has CL knockout experience, a game in which he was really good in for 50-60 minutes and been great at times in the Prem.

He's definitely in the 30 man squad, and if cut, will be one of the final ones to be cut. Even at his age, offers more than most wingers available, Lennon, Downing, possibly even Adam Johnson, Walcott and Young are the only two certs on the wings.
  13. Apr 17, 2012

Aint gota Kalou Full Member

I don't see why you wouldn't take Ox, I would much rather take a potentially brilliant talent like him rather than a more established but ultimately average player. He should certainly be above Lennon, Johnson, Milner and Downing.
  14. Apr 17, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    He should probably first show he has what it takes to step up to the Arsenal level first. He hasn't started any of your last 6 league games.
  15. Apr 17, 2012

Far better than Sturridge, Welbeck and Walcott? Not a chance. One day, maybe. Still got it all to prove.
  16. Apr 17, 2012

Zen Full Member

Well, not quite.

"Sturridge or Welbeck 12/18 months ago" and Walcott in 2006 being the examples.
  17. Apr 17, 2012

Sturridge and Welbeck were both coming to the end of a full season of PL football 12 months ago. Chamberlain has started a grand total of 5 Premier League games, his debut coming just 3 months ago.
  18. Apr 17, 2012

Zen Full Member

Good in his debut CL start vs Olympiakos
    Brilliant for 50-60 in his start vs Milan.....in a new central midfield role for him too.
    His replacement was boo'd against us in the 2-1 @ 1-1 and pretty much cost them a point.

All these performances, as a starter which seems key to you, are at a higher level than Sturridge or Welbeck for Sunderland and Bolton. He's looked very bright as a sub plenty of times too.....and yeah, also invisible, but that comes with the territory, and all of Welbeck/Walcott/Sturridge still suffer from that themselves, and they were far worse for that he was 12 months ago.
  19. Apr 17, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

He's brought down by Peruzzi, Cole will finish it
    He's a miles better "footballer" than Walcott, you can see that from watching 10 minutes of them. Walcott can be extremely effective though. He scares any defender. Chamberlain needs games, he's built like a rugby player
  20. Apr 17, 2012

Seriously?

I would disagree with that. Sturridge scored some absolute screamers for Bolton. Welbeck was MOTM when Sunderland got one of their best results in recent years, beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Chamberlain has had a handful of decent performances, rarely lasting the full game. He's since been unable to hold onto his place in the team. I don't disagree that he looks like a real prospect but there's no way he's already "far better" than either Sturridge or Welbeck were this time last year.
  21. Apr 17, 2012

Judge Red Don't Call Me Douglas

It's all gone a bit Hargreaves for Wilshere. It's difficult for me to think England will miss him when I've forgotten what it is that he does.
  22. Apr 17, 2012

RedLars Full Member

I agree with every word of that. Welbeck and Sturridge both showed prolonged periods of great promise last season, something which Chamberlain hasn't done as far as I'm concerned.

He's shown great flashes of what may come though, but the notion that he's done better this season as a whole than either of Welbeck and Sturridge did last season is way off.
  23. Apr 17, 2012

My point exactly. He can handle the physical side, but more than that he's someone who can create something out of nothing and that's something invaluable to have even if he starts as a sub. He's got to go, we need to start getting a lot more of the promising youngsters around the senior side's setup anyway and a good few of them should go to this Championship including Chamberlain.
  24. Apr 18, 2012

Raven Blade Dull

I haven't forgotten. He would give us more craft and guile in midfield. Exactly what we're trying to instill in the England teams of the future. It's a real disappointment he won't be going so this means there's a greater chance of Cleverley and/or Oxlade-Chamberlain making the squad now. We could do with some young midfield talent hungry to make an impact.
  25. Apr 18, 2012

26. Apr 18, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

He's brought down by Peruzzi, Cole will finish it
    When did the initial injury happen? Was it in the pre season tournament at the Emirates where he came off? Seemed unthinkable he'd miss 12 months from that.
  27. Apr 18, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Missing the Euros could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for Wilshere. It gives him more time to fully recover and he won't have the situation of going into a new season on a confidence downer when England inevitably crash and burn again.
  28. Jun 8, 2012

Don16 Annoying cnut

Jacks been a naughty boy if twitter is to be believed!
  29. Jun 8, 2012

Carl has permanently erect nipples

Go on...
  30. Jun 8, 2012

Never mind. Seen it.
  31. Jun 8, 2012

Don16 Annoying cnut

This is purely on twitter, I know as well as anyone it has a high chance of being horse shit, but they're saying he failed a coke test!
  32. Jun 8, 2012

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    Saw this earlier.

Apparently being touted by the people that had the Giggs and Terry/Bridge stories early.
  33. Jun 8, 2012

Meh. So what if he has.
  34. Jun 8, 2012

phelans shorts Full Member

My sources tell me it's bullshit.

I'm not making that up, he's supposedly had another load of surgery this week, which means he is injured, not banned.
  35. Jun 8, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    Why don't we just ask solius? His cousins banging him/carrying his baby isn't she?
  36. Jun 8, 2012

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    don't believe what is being said on twitter.

big loss for his club and his country.

hope he is back for the season.
  37. Jun 8, 2012

Grinner Fat gutted, hairy shouldered, stinky Arse.

I'm sure there were some drug rumours last year too.
  38. Jun 8, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    I hope his injury problem goes away.
  39. Jun 8, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

The drug rumours will have come from him deactivating twitter for "rehab".
  40. Jun 8, 2012

Solius Having a party in his car

The baby is nearly a year old now.

I haven't heard anything, he flew to Sweden the other day for an op and I'm pretty sure the injury is genuine. He was in a cast for ages.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.