Workfare ruled illegal by court of appeal

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Dave89, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Feb 12, 2013

Dave89 Full Member

Excellent news. Firstly, the government should not be coercing people into work below minimum wage, and secondly, if we are in such austere times that devastating cuts must be made, our taxes, and our unemployed citizens, should not be subsidising the payroll of large companies.

2. Feb 12, 2013

Drifter American

People power.
  3. Feb 12, 2013

MikeUpNorth Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

If people are working they should be paid at least the minimum wage - that's the whole point of it.
  4. Feb 12, 2013

Guy Incognito Full Member

Yeah, so if a poor person doesn't work, he or she can starve to death and be homeless. What a cnut.
  5. Feb 12, 2013

Bill.s.preston Fluffybunnykins

I'm sort of on the fence with this. It's a good idea to get the long term unemployed used to a daily work routine and updating their skills. However, I admit that some of the work placements are a bit shit and people won't learn much from them. Another problem is that people could be using this time spent on work placements to actually find a job!

There's a good idea in there somewhere, it's just not been implemented properly.
  6. Feb 12, 2013

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

It should have always been at the rate of minimum wage.

That way:

A. Peoples rights are not broken.
    B. The government cannot sell the contracts to firms who should be employing people rather than getting cheap labour.
  7. Feb 12, 2013

Count Orduck Full Member

I agree that people should be helped to find work and "strongly suggested" that they do it. I'm also of the belief that someone who turns down work when it's found shouldn't go on being able to claim jobseekers indefinitely.

HOWEVER, jobseeker's allowance is less than the minimum wage, and so these people were effectively working for free. If they get put into Poundland and made to work for six months, fine, but you can damn well pay them the minimum wage whilst they do it. It's totally unreasonable to expect them to work for less than that. On the one hand, you're not getting paid nothing because you're still getting jobseeker's allowance, but that's less than the minimum wage (which is called the MINIMUM for a reason), and the company itself is getting you for free.
  8. Feb 12, 2013

x42bn6 Full Member

There's also the fact that it might not help hiring - why pay for a new hire when you can grab an unemployed person for free? Especially in low-skilled jobs.
  9. Feb 12, 2013

MikeUpNorth Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

Yes, it undercuts the job market and should be illegal. If you're working you should get at least the minimum wage.
  10. Feb 12, 2013

Pat_Mustard Full Member

A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
    Hopefully this actually turns out to be the breakthrough that it seems. The government seem to be particularly determined to discredit and ignore the ruling.
  11. Feb 12, 2013

Silva Sticky tip

Good.
  12. Feb 12, 2013

TheReligion Abusive

I agree with the ruling, however, doesn't really solve anything
  13. Feb 12, 2013

RK Full Member

As far as I was aware, these cases (and potential ones) were decided on a technicality, and that the schemes will stay in place pretty much as they are?

Feel free to correct me though.
  14. Feb 12, 2013

Dave89 Full Member

Haven't gone in depth, but that's what I've heard too. Bugger.