Would Fergie have been able to beat Pep's city?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by LInkash, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Nov 10, 2017

LInkash Full Member

Sir Alex has always been able to overcome anything thrown at him in the league but Pep's Barca was perhaps his greatest weakness.

What do you reckon?
  2. Nov 10, 2017

Cal? I always Loyalty CR7

As in beat them in one off games or beat them over a season?
  3. Nov 10, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Yup it is International Week.
  4. Nov 10, 2017

2 Man Midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

We're nearly 5 years down the line, it's impossible to say at this point what his team would've looked like by now.
  5. Nov 10, 2017

LInkash Full Member

Both. I guess Fergie wasn't great in the big league games so it might have been a challenge but I've the course of a season he may have still won the league.
  6. Nov 10, 2017

Starkie_1 Full Member

What? You sure about that?
  7. Nov 10, 2017

LInkash Full Member

Well, maybe more towards the end of his career against the likes of Chelsea and City.
  8. Nov 10, 2017

Werd. New Member

Would Moyes have been able to beat Pep's city?
  9. Nov 10, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

Could the greatest manager of all time manage to beat a side that has been great for 11 league games?

Ridiculous.
  10. Nov 10, 2017

Cal? I always Loyalty CR7

I have no doubt Sir Alex would have done both eventually, but he does take his time to do so, as evidenced by eventually coming to terms with Jose' first Chelsea side.
  11. Nov 10, 2017

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Probably not on a head to head no, but we would be walking over everyone else in this shitty league and applying a load of pressure on them to keep their results up.
  12. Nov 10, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    On his own? Dunno, Ederson looks pretty bad arse.

Kinda silly question tbh, beat them with what? No one would beat City with this squad. Well they could ofc beat them in a single game, but not over a season I think. Is Fergie a better manager than Pep? As far as legacy goes, so far, ofcourse, Pep can only dream of building something the way SAF did. In the long run? Different times, different styles, different everything.

So to get back to your question; uhm, I got nothing really.
  13. Nov 10, 2017

Varun Moderator

To the title? Absofeckinglutely. He was the master ffs.
  14. Nov 10, 2017

The BlackGaijin New Member

Ok I am done with this city love fest. Feck it's just November. I know we are not blue moon or Rawk but just feck off. Let him win the the leaugue two or three times before u start wanking him off.
  15. Nov 10, 2017

Werd. New Member

The nuthugging of all things City has reached epic levels now. It's quite hilarious.
  16. Nov 10, 2017

Champagne Football Full Member

If Fergie was still around then even though there would have been no Pogba - I think he would have snapped up a few Fergie type players who we have since missed out on such as Dele Alli, Wanyama, Alexis Sanchez, Bale, N'golo Kante, Sadio Mane, John Stones, Ousmane Dembele while the likes of Shaw, Tuanzebe, Rashford, McTominay, Lingard, Welbeck, Cleverley, Johnny Evans, Januzaj, Kagawa, Perreira, Chicharito would all be playing an important role

That would be a title challenging team right there for sure
  17. Nov 10, 2017

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

I'd like to wait for Peps City to at least achieve something before making such comparisons.

But if have to compare, then over the course of a season/game Pep could win since his team's peaks tend to be extremely high. But in the long run, SAF would obviously dominate. There's no chance Pep comes out on top if they're both battling it our for a decade. Same applies to Jose. These managers are excellent but they're not on Sir Alex's level.
  18. Nov 10, 2017

LoneStar Full Member

Oh didn't you know? No one can beat St Pep now. City is now the greatest team of all time.
  19. Nov 10, 2017

The BlackGaijin New Member

Hey op. Go feck yourself.
  20. Nov 10, 2017

anant Full Member

Too early to say. I'd like to see how City performs in December and latter stages when pressure is high and they'd be playing 2 games every week.
    If City do manage to win the league and get more than 90 points then the thread becomes of some relevance, else I'd fancy Fergie to beat his side atleast over the course of the season if not the 2 league games
  21. Nov 10, 2017

septic Full Member

Just when you thought people couldn't wank off City any more, Llnkash outdoes everyone.
  22. Nov 10, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    John Stones and Ederson can't handle these 81 crosses.
  23. Nov 10, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

Yes. This City side are nowhere near that Barca side, so don't know why they are being compared here.
  24. Nov 10, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Love international weeks when the real football chat dries up.

I say yes. Unless the contest is 'Wearing a suit'. Pep wears the shit out of a suit, when he chooses to wear one, which is hardly ever, the scruffy shite.

What about a RoboFergie vs Super Jesus in a best of 7 series?

When's the Premier League back?
  25. Nov 10, 2017

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    In a one- off game? Doubt it. League, yes. I guess he would win home and away games against bottom 12-13 teams, get at least 3 points from other teams.
  26. Nov 10, 2017

vangagal New Member

It takes 3 years to made SAF realised how to beat Mou, i bet it the same if not longer with Pep, so no. This all Pep wanking can never come in better time than this.
  27. Nov 10, 2017

Gentleman Jim It's absolutely amazing!

Supports:
    city
    Reminds me of being a kid.
    A new lad arrives and throws his weight around and nobody in class can handle him so older lads are called for and knocked on their ass too.
    Time to call for dad who was a right hard case when he was younger.
  28. Nov 10, 2017

Wengerscoat New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Fergie was a ruthless machine. There is no way anyone was coming on top while he was in the PL. Sooner or later he'd have United rise to the top again. Maybe I didn't like him during our rivalry but for me the greatest manager.
  29. Nov 10, 2017

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

City aren't close to that Barca side. None of their players would even get in that team.

So I think Fergie could beat them to a league title yes. He beat out every challenger in the Prem.
  30. Nov 10, 2017

ROFLUTION Full Member

Shouldn't Pep like.. win something with City first before we put him on this pedestal?
  31. Nov 10, 2017

Sir Alex only took 3 years to beat "Mou" because he had much less at his disposal. We were completely in transition and build for the future whereas Chelsea and Jose we're throwing money at everything. Everything else being equal, Sir Alex would have come out on top whether it's Jose or Pep. A Sir Alex team doesn't hover around the relegation zone, he doesn't need absurd money and he was mentally a different beast to both of these two. He never fell out with his players to the point where they stopped playing for him (Jose). He never "got tired" of managing the club he loved (Pep).
  32. Nov 10, 2017

Red Katie Full Member

Serious question, what is wrong with this place? If this isn't some sort of jinx I don't think I can come up with anything to say.
  33. Nov 10, 2017

Also, this has to be said:

They had Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. I love that team of ours and Pep's coaching is phenomenal, but those players being better than ours did play a part. You can go out and buy players to match David Silva. You can buy to those three.
  34. Nov 10, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

The City wank fest on here has reached another low. Are you seriously questioning if the greatest manager who ever lived could beat a team that's been good for 11 games?
  35. Nov 10, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

We were in transistion in that period. Fergie was building a team for the future otherwise he would've beat Mourinho's Chelsea a lot sooner.
  36. Nov 10, 2017

Revan Full Member

While they were the better team, Fergie also completely missed the tactics (especially on the second match), for which he should be blamed. Our team was better than what was shown up on those two nights, but on midfield they killed us (we had Anderson there in the first match) and for the second match, Fergie went with a midfield two which included an ancient Ryan Giggs.

Inter's team which beat Barca in between our finals, was not as good as United, but they were relatively comfortable during those two matches, something that we managed to do for a combined 20 minutes. Chelsea was a fluke, but Inter was an example on how tactics matter.

Fergie really wasn't that great on big matches (he has a negative head to head with pretty much every other top manager), but on the league, absolutely no question. City/Pep would have won a title or two (even Mancini won a title), but there is no doubt that Fergie would have won more titles. He is the best manager of all time when it comes to long races.
  37. Nov 10, 2017

M113FF New Member

Supports:
    City
    Only Chelsea have a better record than City against United in the league for the last 15 seasons. United's win rate 40% - winning 12 of the last 30 league derbies. Fergie was manager for 11 of those seasons.

This City side is IMO better than 2012 and 2014 title winning sides so it would be tough for Fergie now. It will be tough for Guardiola now as well.
  38. Nov 10, 2017

iluvurmummy Full Member

*vomits*
  39. Nov 10, 2017

Gentleman Jim It's absolutely amazing!

Supports:
    city
    You got that the wrong way round.
    Ferguson's legacy is assured and can never be devalued. He will never again have to take on any new challenges and risk undermining his previous achievements unlike Pep who will never attempt to rebuild a team several time like Ferguson did, just not his style to do so, so how could Pep match United's icon in that respect?
    Ferguson chose never to operate in a foreign land and master their footballing and social cultures with a completely new group of players. That's his choice and his prerogative and that doesn't make him any less a great Manager.
  40. Nov 10, 2017

Trizy Full Member

This.