Would you accept 3rd here and now?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Sky1981, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Nov 29, 2017

Baby Groot Banned

We are pure and utter crap, I and I want us to prove that rest of PL is actually far worse.
    So I will only accept 1st place as an evidence.
    Heck even the narrative during some of Ferguson's title winning teams where ether crap or nothing special even if United won nail biting title race or in landslide victory. Media often claimed that rival teams were far superior compared to United even if United ran those teams awfully close in most years.
  2. Nov 29, 2017

reddaz71 Full Member

If we were the dog and duck then 3rd would be great but we are Manchester Utd so its 1st or nowhere,its a marathon not a sprint,City get an injury crisis or dramatic loss of form and we hit a hot streak then 2nd half of season will be dramatically different to the 1st!!
  3. Nov 29, 2017

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Huh? Hell no!
  4. Nov 29, 2017

Klopp_De_Klown Full Member

Well, the way city are playing right now we have to do everything to hold on to their shirt tails. How different it could all of been if Salad had taken any of the chances he had before Mane got sent off. But as it is they are all full of confidence. They won't be like this all season and we need to help them along with their little dip in form.
    Should they lose to us as I'm sure we all hope they do. It might take the wind out of their sails a bit for some doubt to creep in. If that could happen, as unlikely as it seems right now we could actually win the league.

To answer the question, would I be happy with third? If we cant win it any top 4 finish is fine. Outside and it is a disaster.
    I think its Manchester X2, Liverpool and 1 London club for the top 4.
  5. Nov 29, 2017

Danny Roberts Full Member

I wouldn't accept third now, no. However I wouldn't necessarily consider third a bad season if we challenged for a lot of the campaign and went well in Europe.
  6. Nov 29, 2017

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Why would you accept 3rd? I don't think there's any real danger of us falling out of top 4, all in all honesty. We've been very consistent and have a good advantage already.
  7. Nov 29, 2017

Brightonian Full Member

We look very odds-on for second, why the hell would we accept third?
  8. Nov 29, 2017

RedFish Full Member

No!
  9. Nov 29, 2017

Smores Full Member

Outside of winning the title and securing top 4, I'm more interested in points behind the winner than exactly where we place.

If we don't win, within 10pts of the leader is progress in my book. That leaves us being likely to win the following year
  10. Nov 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

We should fight till the end and see where we are. I am really happy with the progress we are making. 32points from 14 games in most season means you are number 1 but city are going crazy. But if we close down the gap by Xmas time then all credit to us. I would be happy if finish 2nd by giving this city side a run for their money.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  11. Nov 29, 2017

Red_Beans Full Member

Agree with this
  12. Nov 29, 2017

Todd Full Member

Yes, because second and third are interchangeable.

The difference between 1 and 2-20 is a championship

The difference between 3 and 4 is direct CL group qualification

The difference between 4 and 5 is missing out on CL

The difference between 2 and 3 is absolutely nothing.

I do not believe that we'll catch City for the title; we're a work in progress, they're a finished product. If you offered me the guarantee of direct CL qualification right now I'd take it, because for now, that is probably the most important thing (getting back into the the habit of being direct qualifiers ever year) and we're another major Pogba injury away from potentially being worried about whether or not we finish top 3 or 4.

If you offered me this deal next August, after we've (hopefully) brought in a world class 10 and some quality wide defenders, I wouldn't take it. For now, though, yes I would.
  13. Nov 29, 2017

superdry touched by a genius

Nothing is written, unless we write it!
    So we go through a worm hole to a pre determined destination, to a certain point in time?
    feck that, what'd be the point? I want all the ups and downs, the pleasure and the pain, the glory and euphoria when we get what we have toiled for and deserve.
  14. Nov 29, 2017

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

No, if you're not first you're last. Or something along those lines.
  15. Nov 29, 2017

thegregster Harbinger of new information

All the top 4 in the big 4 leagues go directly into the group stages from next season.
  16. Nov 29, 2017

Todd Full Member

No kidding?

Wait, does that mean that top 4 as of next May go straight in for the 2018/19 CL, or that top 4 from 2018/19 EPL go straight in for 2019/20 CL?
  17. Nov 29, 2017

thegregster Harbinger of new information

The top 4 next May will go straight into the group stages for the 2018/19 CL.
  18. Nov 29, 2017

Todd Full Member

Wow...well, I didn't know that. And it blows up the basis for the majority of my initial argument in this thread, LOL.

So now, I say, no I wouldn't take 3rd right now.
  19. Nov 29, 2017

Hawks2008 Full Member

Nope, 2nd is barely good enough. a 3rd place finish would be pretty bad.
  20. Nov 29, 2017

GBBQ Full Member

Its premature to be writing us out of the title race but assuming both United and City maintain current form then yes i would take 3rd place. We're still a way off their ability and depth and we need to be in CL and improving year on year to attract players. There is a top 6 and at least 2 will miss out on the CL places.
  21. Nov 29, 2017

Reynoldo Full Member

2nd now? or a 50/50 chance of either winning the league/finishing 6th?
  22. Nov 29, 2017

Robertd0803 Full Member

In the nicest possible way fcuk no. If we can't catch City then 2nd is the only acceptable league position we should be finishing in.
  23. Nov 29, 2017

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Personally, normally, under SAF finishing 3rd is a bad season, but in restrospect of where we are last year in the league (6th), and 3 years prior where we finish 7th, 4th, and 5th, finishing 3rd isn't such a catastrophe some of you lads are saying here.

I get it we're Manchester United, but we're far from "THE" manchester United we know, and finishing 3rd behind Chelsea and city isn't something to be ashamed off ( if it's chelsea, whoever finished 2nd will be doing better than us which is impressive feat considering where we are at the moment point wise)

People seems to forget that Saf didn't have a solid competition back then. He knows the league like the back of his hands, he knows arsene Wenger in and out, he got the best team in england moulded exactly according to his vision, he got the groundwork and the infrastructure and the coaching stuff built to suit his principles, in the 90s only arsenal poses a threat and they're lightweight compared to todays city in terms of financial muscle which means they can plaster whatever cracks they have with star player.

United 2017 faces not only arsenal, city, Chelsea, liverpool, hotspur, but also a number of strong midtable teams that can realistically took points from us on their day, and it doesn't even take the star to align for them to beat us, all it takes is just a bar day in the office for us.

So let's not take everything for granted.
  24. Nov 29, 2017

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Full Member

Third? We're still in November and haven't played a derby yet. **** off third; this is Manchester United, not Arsenal.
  25. Nov 29, 2017

themoyesboy Banned

I'd take fourth right now. I'm a follower of the Moyes doctrine.
  26. Nov 29, 2017

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Full Member

That's one hell of a moniker alright. It brings back some terrible memories :lol:
  27. Nov 29, 2017

RobinHood New Member

Yup. This. You only need to glance at the tables for the other big leagues (bar Ligue 1) and you’ll find no other team even remotely on par with what City are doing right now.

I still harbour hopes of winning the title but if we can’t I’d like us to push City mighty close
  28. Nov 29, 2017

ChaddyP Full Member

Supports:
    Banned from Pogba thread
    If the league ends tomorrow (today) we are in second... Why would we take. 3rd.... What bizarre post. :lol: and feck off with second or 3rd... I want first
  29. Nov 29, 2017

Class of 63 Full Member

If you throw in the FA Cup as well i'd settle for third here and now, otherwise NO
  30. Nov 29, 2017

Suedesi Full Member

feck no! Why would you accept 3rd after 14 matches, when there are 24 more games?
  31. Nov 29, 2017

meninred New Member

A Top 3 finish should be acceptable at this stage.To me next season is our season to win the premiere league.
  32. Nov 29, 2017

Rodrigo_UC10 New Member

Absolutely not, Manchester United has to keep fighting till the last game. City won't be able to win every single game... remember the players are human as well... so they will get injured or perform badly at least in a few games. Besides Man Utd has the quality and desire to beat City and become England Champions again! So neither the team nor the fans should settle for anything less than 1st. However, if we don't finish 1st but at least they gave everything they had I will be satisfied.
  33. Nov 30, 2017

Foxbatt Full Member

NO. Not even second at this stage.
  34. Nov 30, 2017

cyril C Full Member

No. I can accept the fact that we may not be able to catch up with City, but there is no reason that we cannot be 2nd. We just have to concentrate in our own game and hope that City will slip somehow in December/Jan widow.
  35. Nov 30, 2017

f_to_z Full Member

I believe the moment we start accepting anything other than winning the league we will start losing our United Identity. Each year we should aim to win the league no matter how strong other teams are and how much weaker our team is. I understand that sometimes its unrealistic to win the league but lowering expectation will actually have a direct affect on the United entity as a whole. If we fans accept 4th or 3rd and players will accept that. If we have high expectations all the time and be consistent we keep the pressure on the squad to always perform more.
  36. Nov 30, 2017

The Outsider Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    You have Arsenal and City next in the league, Chelsea might jump you in December.
    Of course you might win or Chelsea lose, yet there are probabilities just the same.
  37. Dec 1, 2017

Klopp_De_Klown Full Member

A good advantage already? We are only 3 points clear of the team behind next 2 games could wipe that out unless we take maximum points.

Sorry to disagree but

The top 2 below are this year's table after 13 games, the rest are going back for 10 years plus United's title winning years back to the treble in 1999, after 13 games.
    Year...Team......P...GD
    17... City....... 37 +34
    17... United.... 29 +22

16... Chelsea.. 31 +19
    15... Leicester 28 +8
    14... Chelsea.. 33 +19
    13... Arsenal... 31 +17
    12... United.... 30 +14
    11... City....... 35 +35
    10... Chelsea.. 28 +20
    09... Chelsea.. 33 +25
    08... Chelsea.. 32 +28
    07... Arsenal.. 33 +19
    06... United... 34 +23
    02... Liverpool 30 +14
    00... United... 30 +25
    99... Leeds.... 29 +10
    98... Villa...... 28 +10
    We are just below other seasons form in general and yet twice its been won with less. Let's see by mid-Jan. It would be good to see what happens before we play spurs again. And then draw the comparisons
  38. Dec 1, 2017

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Apologies, I forgot that I am supposed to be pessmistic here and it doesn't matter that we are 6 ahead of Liverpool in 5th and 8 ahead of Spurs in 8th because Chelsea are just 3 behind and if only Chelsea goes above us the world will end, or that I should already factor in that we will 100% lose every big game in the future.

Even though the table says we are 2nd, we are actually 9th.
  39. Dec 1, 2017

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I fail to see how this table is relevent to anything in connection with the current league table. As things stands right now, United are second and we will remain that way regardless of prior seasons point accumulation.

We can still win the league at this point, why would we even consider accepting anything other than first?
  40. Dec 1, 2017

ClutchHunter Full Member

Nope. We've averaging enough points - coming into a couple of big games, granted - to reach, if we carry on at the same pace, around 87 points. That is league winning form. The only reason nobody has noticed is that City have had such a ridiculously good start, but they are very likely to slip up eventually. Hopefully we can initiate that.