Would you accept 3rd here and now?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Sky1981, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Dec 3, 2017

Klopp_De_Klown Full Member

I suppose failing to see the first statement is incorrect makes it irrelevAnt?
  2. Dec 3, 2017

Random Task Full Member

Not incorrect, as such, just not relevAnt to the current league table.

Thanks for the English lesson.
  3. Dec 3, 2017

It's not about being pessimistic its was the combination of games we had compared to Chelsea.

Up until 17:41 yesterday it was likely that United in 2nd would drop some combination of points in their next 2 games against the teams that were 4th away and 1st at home to close the gap to be second. As it stands now we are now more likely to pick up something from the city game and be still clear in second.

I had expected two draws if I'm honest. So a draw the next day keeps us clear with 10(8 league) apparently easier games to come before we play spurs in late January. I would hope/expect not to drop points in them 8 games. BUT... As it is 0-1 in the emptyhead right now we could get the gap down to 2 points come 18:30 next Sunday. If the gap could be 2 that lumps pressure on city coming into Christmas and the traditionally most difficult period. Let's see how's our luck
  4. Dec 3, 2017

Ultimate Grib Full Member

Supports:
    LA Galaxy
    No.
  5. Dec 3, 2017

Table proves we'd not be first in most season with this points tally... Don't know what it is you're not getting.
  6. Dec 3, 2017

M4YON Full Member

No, at this stage I wouldn't even accept 2nd.

Why are these ridiculous threads made? embarrassing.
  7. Dec 3, 2017

Random Task Full Member

I just fail to see how "most seasons" relate in any way to the current season. Football goes through various degrees of change on a yearly basis and so does the points tally required to win the league (for the most part at least).
  8. Dec 3, 2017

Theonas Full Member Scout

This is just embarrassing. Why accept anything. You aim for first always and if you fail, you analyse the progress and what needs to be done to improve.
  9. Dec 3, 2017

SuperiorXI Full Member

3rd would be a failure. 2nd is about par.
  10. Dec 3, 2017

Absolutely right. This has to be the most tedious argument on these pages as of late; the constant "this used to be enough" or "even before under Fergie, we did this". It's almost as though there is no direct competition to measure against instead of harping on about how what was enough at some specific point in time.
  11. Dec 3, 2017

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Im asking. I'm not accepting anything
  12. Dec 3, 2017

so what

Thats got nothing to do with what i answered. Or the point I made!
  13. Dec 3, 2017

Random Task Full Member

So what is the point you're making here?
  14. Dec 3, 2017

It was already made and then re-explained to you directly, read back.
  15. Dec 3, 2017

Random Task Full Member

Think of me as considerably dumb and explain your point in layman's terms, so that I may make the appropriate reply.

I don't have the mental capacity to go traipsing back through the thread, still nursing a hangover you see. Heavy session last night.
  16. Dec 3, 2017

Sorry mate, the word embarrassing was uncalled for there. Anyway, I think it's all about performances. If we are playing a brand of football that one can see that its final destination will produce a truly top team, then I'd take even 5th. We just need to feel that we are headed towards greatness and actively working towards it. The flip side is you can even finish 1st but still the team is clearly not a great one and never will be. You can win the league by simply being less average than the other top teams like Leicester did. My point whereas it's true that league position indicates a lot, it still is not the only barometer when assessing the quality and potential of a team.
  17. Dec 3, 2017

do your own research and read back, its all there...
  18. Dec 3, 2017

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Im just curious about what most of us had in mind this year
  19. Dec 3, 2017

I thought Mourinho was doing what he does best by building a solid team that is very difficult to break down, very resilient and comfortable defending deep. The question was about the individual quality up front and if it will do for him what Fàbregas, Hazard and Costa did at Chelsea when they won the league. So far it looks like the individuals up top are delivering the goods and scoring the goals. If it continues, it means we have a team that is as good as his Chelsea 2015 which I would rate as 7 or 8/10 on a good day. That level means you compete for the league and win it most years but it means that you are not a truly great team leaving you vulnerable if one comes up. In short, it's all about City, if they implode, we should be able to win it. If they keep their level so far which I would rate as a 9, we have no chance unless we get some world beater like Ronaldo or something like that.
  20. Dec 3, 2017

Random Task Full Member

I believed a title charge was on the cards, particularly after the signings of both Lukaku and Matic. Didn't anticipate City racing out of the blocks in the manner they have though.

Beating them at OT next week will go along way to cementing that belief. They have been riding their luck for a while now and a loss is long overdue. I'm confident that we will be the ones to provide that loss.
  21. Dec 3, 2017

vangagal Full Member

It ain't over untill it impossible to win it points wise. To suggest we just give up and make peace with 3rd place is beyond belief for me when we are sitting comfortably at 2nd place.
  22. Dec 3, 2017

minoo-utd Full Member

If not first because the city exception level then runners up, anything else is not good enough, we have to just keep fighting on first place. Next game against city is just vital but we can do it.
  23. Dec 3, 2017

Jaybomb Banned

What’s the difference in 2nd or 4th? We want to win the bloody thing.
  24. Dec 3, 2017

esmufc07 Elvis has theft the building Scout

You have to qualify for the CL if you finish 4th.
  25. Dec 3, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

:lol:
  26. Dec 3, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

Not anymore, apparently.
    Top 4 go straight through to group stages.
  27. Dec 3, 2017

esmufc07 Elvis has theft the building Scout

Must have missed that change!
  28. Dec 3, 2017

Old Ma Crow New Member

This question at the beginning of December? Seriously?
    No, we're Man United, leave that kind of shite at another club's door.
  29. Dec 3, 2017

Summit "do the dead, spread your seed and get out"

when this this change come about? This season?
  30. Dec 3, 2017

minoo-utd Full Member

It will be a progress, of course we want to win it and finally after 4 years this year we are challenging for it. That is a huge progress IMO if we can continue chasing till the end it will be a real good thing from finishing sixth last season to finish 2nd of not first. Things still can go for us, if we beat city next Sunday our confidence will be sky high.
  31. Dec 3, 2017

Came in last season or the one before to be started in 2018
  32. Dec 3, 2017

Womp idiot

If we finish second it's obvious proof we are making significant progress as a club - something we haven't seen in years. Pep has never had such a good start to a season iirc and this City team is having one of the best starts to a PL season and most people on here still think we have a chance (albeit a small one), that's telling. We're having an excellent season.
  33. Dec 3, 2017

Seven Seas Sardines Full Member

Wenger, is that you?
  34. Dec 3, 2017

davidmichael Full Member

Absolutely not, it’s only December and if we beat City next weekend then we’re 5 points behind them with lots of football still to be played.

We’ve been played Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal all away already and as seen last season with Europa if Jose decides to prioritise something then he’ll go all out for it. League Cup and FA Cup would both mean nothing if Jose believes we can win the league and until it gets to a point it’s genuinly not realistic then I believe we can win the title.
  35. Dec 3, 2017

Yea thats a fair point and if we hack them down to size next week, judging by the way they are playing it could happen too. It could knock em back a bit. Bloody pity the last 3 sides could not of held on even for a draw.

Compared to how they were playing of course!
  36. Dec 3, 2017

CA_vampire New Member

No.

We are trying to win the title.

And that should remain our goal till it is mathematically impossible.

Questions about 2nd place are for losers, never mind 3rd. If I was the manager and a player asked me something like that, I'd ship him away.
  37. Dec 4, 2017

lex talionis Full Member

I'd be disappointed if we finished second or worse. It's not that I believe we deserve to win the league trophy because our of reputation but we've rebuilt enough and have the right manager to win the league this season. That said, I acknowledge that City has raced out ahead just a bit more than 1/3 through the season. But we've got 23 matches left to play, 2 of them against City, which gives us plenty of time to close the gap and overtake them by April. But we'll need a bit of luck on the fitness front and no more shitbag referee calls like what we saw happen to Pogba. And we need a little bit bad luck to fall on City too.

So, no I wouldn't accept third place, at least not in December. Never will.
  38. Dec 4, 2017

septic Full Member

we're the 2nd best team in the league, so why settle for 3rd.
  39. Dec 4, 2017

stygg Full Member

I would accept 4th as Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal are far better teams than us. All I want for Christmas is Champions League football.
  40. Dec 5, 2017

The Brown Bull Full Member

Daft thread. We are second why the hell should we accept 3rd? Why accept 2nd?