Would you be happy with Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof and Perisic?

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by charlenefan, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Jul 7, 2017

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

As a follow on from the Would you be happy with Morata, Fabinho, Lindelof and Perisic thread I feel as though we could potentially be about to get all 4 of Jose's first choice signings (again) this summer (bar Griezmann who I will come to in a minute)

Lukaku - recent reports suggest he was always Jose's first choice for a striker and it was only our belief it was a done deal to Chelsea why we pursued Morata

Matic - the reports of our interest in him go back months, given Jose signed him at Chelsea I reckon he's always been our first choice in the DM position with it only being the fact that he played for a rival that we (the fans) dismissed the possibility of it happening. I know there's the thinking that Chelsea would no longer sell him to us now we've nabbed Lukaku but who knows maybe the deal is already done albeit waiting on Chelsea to sign a replacement (Bakayoko)

Lindelof - heavily linked with him in January I believe he was probably Jose's first choice CB over the likes of Keane

Perisic - there's been no plan B or C when it comes to a wide player unless in Perisic we're seeing our plan B to Griezmann and thus a change of how Jose now plans to set us up next season but working on the assumption that that can't possibly be the case if we do eventually pay what Inter want it'll be another 1st choice secured

So would you be happy with these 4? Obligatory formation shot below

---------------De Gea---------------
    Valencia--Bailly--Lindelof--Darmian
    ----------------Matic----------------
    -------Herrera-------Pogba-------
    Mhkitaryan---Lukaku-------Perisic
  2. Jul 7, 2017

BennyBlanco fixated with Shaw's bum

I don't really want Matic, he might be able to do an adequate job sitting infront of the defence in a 3 man midfield but I don't think he'd work in a 2 and his best form is long behind him. So... no.
    Also think we need another no.10 or. goalscoring wide threat, even if Lukaku replaces Zlatans contribution of 20+ goals next season for us.. we're just back where we started entering last season which obviously wasn't good enough.
  3. Jul 7, 2017

Mike09 Banned

Let's closed this thread and create it again when we have sign all those players. You never know what Ed is going to do next. Next, we might get Dembele.
  4. Jul 7, 2017

Cassidy Not to be confused with Cassady the Liverpool fan

I wonder who our Perisic alternative is :devil:
  5. Jul 7, 2017

Trigg aka Trippin_Stoned

Not sure I want Matic. In his first season when he came back to Chelsea is was outstanding, and that Matic I can get on board with. The one we've seen more recently though looked a bit slow and ponderous to my eyes so I'm a bit more against the idea of us signing him.

I do like the look of Perisic though who could be another option to Martial on the left wing.

Looking at that team, we need a better left back. I like Darmian but he's not a threat going forward at all. Surprised we've not been linked with one actually, wonder if Shaw is getting a final chance.
  6. Jul 7, 2017

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

If they are smokescreens for Kane, Weigl, Fabinho and Ronaldo then sure.
  7. Jul 7, 2017

VP89 likes to shower with phones

You ripped off my thread you wankstain :mad:
  8. Jul 7, 2017

:smirk:
  9. Jul 7, 2017

MUFC OK Full Member

Don't want Matic at all. Heres my list of players I'd prefer in that position;
    Fabinho, Nainggolan, Matuidi, Vidal, Kante, Wanyama, Bakayoko, Busquets, Casemiro, Veratti.
    So in my opinion he's probably the 11th best option for holding/cdm, surely we are aspiring to be better than that?
  10. Jul 7, 2017

VP89 likes to shower with phones

I dont think wel get Matic. I just feel this Lukaku transfer marks the end of transfer gossip as far as our club is concerned. No journalist knows squat until it's done.
  11. Jul 7, 2017

TsuWave Full Member

I'm ok with lukaku and lindelof but don't really want either matic or perisic

overall that would be kinda underwhelming for me if that's how it turned out
  12. Jul 7, 2017

HankHill New Member

Supports:
    Ewe Night Tid.
    I'd be very happy with Lukaku, Lindelöf and Matić (though I think the chances of signing Matić took a huge hit with our move for Lukaku and its subsequent effect on Chelsea, replace him with Fabinho and I'd be just as happy).

Perišić is a little underwhelming, though. In his defence, he is still something of an unknown quantity to me so I might be judging him harshly.
  13. Jul 7, 2017

Robbie Boy Full Member

I would be delighted with Lukaku to United meaning Matic stays at Chelse because Conte has a hissy fit and they panic buy Benteke :drool:
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  14. Jul 7, 2017

whatwha Full Member

Hopefully Perisic and Matic aren't actually our first choice targets. No-one expected us to go for Lukaku before yesterday. Maybe something similar will happen in those positions as well.
  15. Jul 7, 2017

harms Full Member

And Lukaku is worse than Lewa, Suarez, Higuain, Kane, Costa and arguably a few more (Auba, Cavani etc.) What's the point of this?
    Also, Nainggolan, Matuidi and Vidal aren't defensive midfielders at all.
  16. Jul 7, 2017

Baby Faced Assassin Pastor of Muppets

Need me some Fabeeno & would prefer Douglas Costa over Perisic.
  17. Jul 7, 2017

Unmutual Full Member

Our problems last season were not in defensive positions, or with our main goalscorer. Our problem was with our supporting cast of attackers, particularly burying chances. Don't see that this lot really changes any of that.

Obviously Ibra has gone, so he needs replacing. Lukaku is fine for that, even if I'd preferred Morata. But that only really puts us back where we were last season. We need to add 25 goals to our goal tally to be up there with the top scorers in the league. Don't see these lot achieving that.
  18. Jul 7, 2017

AXVnee7 Full Member

Still no for me. Lukaku, Lindelof are fine. It's Matic and Perisic who I don't want.

Fabinho would be fantastic over Matic, and if we take Lukaku I don't think Chelsea will sell us Matic anyway. Perisic is good but not good enough imo. We need a better winger than him.
  19. Jul 7, 2017

el3mel Full Member

Not this thread again. It makes me feel pessimistic about any transfer.
  20. Jul 7, 2017

Reynoldo Full Member

---------------De Gea---------------
    Valencia--Bailly--Lindelof--Darmian
    ----------------Fabinho----------------
    -------Herrera-------Pogba-------
    Mhkitaryan---Lukaku-------Douglas Costa

Better?
  21. Jul 7, 2017

AndyJ1985 Full Member

After Lindelof and Lukaku, a quality DM, winger, and left back would make me happy.
  22. Jul 7, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Fair point, I like Matic just fine even if he hasn't been great for a couple of seasons but I share your reservations over him being our only central midfield reinforcement.

However I think you have to factor in the improvement we can expect of players who are already at the club. I want more from Pogba (which I think Matic can help with) I want much more from Mkhi and Martial, Rashford will hopefully be giving us more year on year, if Shaw or a new LB can give us anything going forward on the left that would be a positive change. And yes I'd expect good/great things from Lukaku too.

I'm not saying you're advocating this but I reject the notion that we need to bring in three or four world class players or else we'll stumble behind our rivals in mounting a challenge next season. When you think of the insane amount of chances we coughed up and horseshit results we got at home last season I feel optimistic that we're not multiple top signings away from challenging on a range of fronts again.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  23. Jul 7, 2017

William_Meredith New Member

Supports:
    Swansea City
    Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof and Perisic?

Fine if Mourinho wants top 4, not if he wants the League, Champion's League, etc. And if Jose thinks those 4 are good enough, Woodward needs to take him to one side and remind him he's managing Manchester United, not Chelsea.
  24. Jul 7, 2017

el3mel Full Member

Anyway, I think Matic deal is dead. I predict us finishing Fabinho by the same way we finished Lukaku. In this strange market it seems the most obvious choice in the media isn't the one who's actually coming and I'm happy with this policy.

Also we'll move from Preisic very soon because we won't pay what Inter asked for and Inter doesn't want to sell him.

The list you mentioned isn't what we're gonna start the season with and I'm sure about it, except Lukaku and Lindelof.
  25. Jul 7, 2017

Reynoldo Full Member

Still think we an explosive force short on the wings too in order to really elevate us. A Sanchez/Bale/Dembele type to really bring us up another level.
  26. Jul 7, 2017

MUFC OK Full Member

Well thats you opinion; Lukaku scored 25 goals in the PL last season for Everton, Cavani, Higuain and Costa certainly arent as good imo, and Lukaku is young and can still improve.

As for Matic, I dont see him improving. He is a player chelsea are happy to sell in order to fund a better and younger player in bakayoko.

You're wrong, they can play the holding/cdm role - the role/position matic will fill and are better.
  27. Jul 7, 2017

BennyBlanco fixated with Shaw's bum

I wouldn't say we need 3-4 world class signings added (I didn't write that in my post even), I just think supplanting Lukaku for Ibra wont be a major factor in and of itself. Though it will give us an extra option over the top/in behind which we didn't have last year

You're right the biggest thing entering next year is Martial, Mkhi and Rashford all need and are capeable of better campaigns.
    The issue I have is our attack hasn't been poor for just a year, this is actually... the 3rd(?) year running where we've struggled.

It's less a blip and more the norm, coupled with it Martial just gave us one of the most disappointing seasons from a player of his quality that I can remember, it looks as much a mental issue and less a physical form issue which could linger on, he looked lackadaisical throughtout the season which is a big worry entering a new season.

Ditto, you have concerns with Rashford, not because of his attitude but just the fact he's still very young and his form will no doubt still be inconsistent.

What you have to hope is, players like Perisic and Matic give us better shape, and allow players like Mkhi and Pogba to thrive, which is... a real posiblity. I would just add I think after 3 seasons of struggling with our attacking, it's more in need of surgery than a bandaid fix.
  28. Jul 7, 2017

RC89 Full Member

No, the biggest problem being Matic. Sub par & wrong age for someone who's been very average and expected to be a starter (I assume)
  29. Jul 7, 2017

2 of those players were title winners last season and another the 2nd highest goal scorer in the PL
  30. Jul 7, 2017

hobbers Full Member

I dont think I could handle Lukaku, Perisic AND Matic for ridiculous fees. Three rather iffy signings all in the one window. Ugh.

Fabinho or Weigl over Matic, and just about anyone over a £50m Perisic.
  31. Jul 7, 2017

Supports:
    Swansea City
    Do you have a point or are you just fond of trivia?
  32. Jul 7, 2017

My point is obvious, you said those 4 players would only be good for a top 4 finish my point is that 2 of them were first choice in title winning teams and another was the 2nd highest goal scorer in the league we play in. They clearly have more about them that you're giving them credit for
  33. Jul 7, 2017

Supports:
    Swansea City
    All are good players. Nothing wrong with signing good players. But the richest club in the world, with designs upon generational domination at home and abroad require more than that as a standard. At Manchester United it isn't enough to tick boxes, as I observed, this isn't Chelsea.

Lindelof and Lukaku are a good start as they still have the time and the raw tools to become world class players. But Matic and Perisic? Those are the sort of players Tony Pulis would sign if given a Summer 'war chest'. United should be looking at the best, or those who could be the best in time. Dybala, Dembele, Veratti, Thiago Maia, etc. One or two real statements of intent that set alarm bells ringing at Barca, Bayern and Real.
  34. Jul 7, 2017

el3mel Full Member

What a ridiculous claim. Matic may not be my priority in this position but he was an integral part of the Chelsea title winning team 2 times in 3 years the last one was just 2 months ago playing about 35 match in the league season.
  35. Jul 7, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I'd argue we've had more than three bad years with our attack to be honest. The days where we struggled to fit the likes of Berba and Tevez into our starting XI are long gone, we've had to persevere with a clapped-out Rooney and quick fixes like Zlatan. However giving the likes of Lukaku, Martial, Mkhi and Pogba the chance to gel together into an effective unit is a tantalising prospect.
  36. Jul 7, 2017

Kush Full Member

I seriously hope we're looking for a left back, Darmian offers absolutely nothing in attack and Shaw is unreliable. We need to improve in that position, it was sad to watch our left flank last season.
  37. Jul 7, 2017

dannyrhinos89 OMG socks and sandals lol!

No, by signing lukaku we've only essentially replaced Zlatan goals

The fact nobody else can Contribute an acceptable amount is still the same. I believe we need another forward still a more creative one that can score goals too. An Alexis type is what we need but we won't get him. Maybe throw a bid in for Aubemyang or better yet Dembele.

I Really don't want matic. Fabinho is the dream but looks unlikely so maybe this weigl kid.

I'd still try sign perisic even if we do get another attacker as our lot can't be relied upon to deliver.

Lukaku
    Weigl or Fabinho
    Lindalof
    Dembele
    Perisic

Would represent a very good window.
  38. Jul 7, 2017

Zlatattack Full Member

I wouldn't. I think we need a CDM, a winger on the left hand side who can score goals and a second striker/attacking midfielder.

I'm much rather Fabinho and Sanchez.
  39. Jul 7, 2017

Crashoutcassius Full Member

We really have no clue who we are in the market for, but I do think those 4 players (i know nothing about lindelof) are big and strong and good professionals. Will hopefully give us more of an edge.
  40. Jul 7, 2017

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

I'd actually be happier if we DONT get Matic and Perisic.