Wrong substitutions tonight

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by TheReligion, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Apr 11, 2012

Lynk Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

Despite that...why the feck did he take off our best player and top scorer?
  2. Apr 11, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Why is it so baffling? Rooney isn't untouchable, and he was gash tonight, alongside many others.
  3. Apr 11, 2012

Carl has permanently erect nipples

Bump.

Really don't understand how Giggs stayed on.
  4. Apr 11, 2012

RonaldoVII Full Member

E236:24:101 Betfair: UTFAKVVTJ PSN:FrozenInHell
    It was harsh taking Young off over Giggs, nevermind Rooney.
  5. Apr 11, 2012

Phil Full Member

I only caught some of the second half but.. Nani for Rooney?!
  6. Apr 11, 2012

Unam333 Full Member

Never mind Giggs, I don't understand why Berbatov is nowhere near the team setup. IMO Berbatov at the moment is a better choice than Hernandez, who is a very good player, but isn't playing well for the last few weeks.

Anyway, 3 subs weren't enough today, our players were all having a bad day, so take your pick: Rooney, Young, Giggs, Jones, Evans, Hernandez, they should all be subbed.
  7. Apr 11, 2012

Scrumpet There are no words

Taking off Rooney was a bold move that didn't come off. Mind you if he had carried on the way he was going he wouldn't have made a difference if he was still on the pitch.
  8. Apr 11, 2012

Leg-End Full Member

Giggs had a mare of a first half, fair enough he's well capable of turning it around but atleast Young was providing defensive cover and could break at speed.
  9. Apr 11, 2012

Skholesy Full Member

Nowt to do with the substitutions, we could have taken anyone off and put on anyone and we would still have lost.

One word - desire...Wigan wanted it so much more it was obvious, whilst our players were probably out celebrating the title over the weekend.
  10. Apr 11, 2012

Livvie Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn

Someone said that half of Caf members were thick.
    Another case of underestimating the opposition imo, from both the players and the manager. Can't happen, but it seems that we really need Scholesy all the time. We didn't score tonight because the midfield was crap.

We wanted it but just thought it was there for the taking. We do it a lot. Arrogance, complacency, call it what you like.
  11. Apr 11, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

This one I didn't get given Rooney has been one of the few players of late to actually look like he will score in recent games
  12. Apr 11, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    fergie wanted fresh Rooney for Villa. Giggs wont start that game. Imo subs were spot on today.
  13. Apr 11, 2012

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

Because he's actually been pretty poor recently despite the goals and he doesn't have Giggs' experience.
  14. Apr 11, 2012

Lynk Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

Hernandez can't get the service he needs and Welbeck is piss poor at finishing. Rooney is essentially our only striker unless we bring back Berbatov (can't believe I would be saying that two seasons ago.)
  15. Apr 11, 2012

Unam333 Full Member

I disagree. We weren't arrogant nor complacent. Wigan were playing like beasts full of desire. Wigan kept it really tight and chased every ball. Valencia, one of our best players in the last few days, was stuck on the right side defending. He didn't do anything attacking wise. Wigan of today would have beaten City or Chelsea.
  16. Apr 11, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

Only reason is perhaps that Giggs is more capable of producing something when he's complete turd. If Rooney is bad, he tends to get frustrated and steadily worse throughout.
  17. Apr 11, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Was quite typical of a SAF decision when dealing with a team that plays with high pressure:

Solution 1) Drop Rooney deeper
    Solution 2) Play Rooney on the left
    Solution 3) oh feck.......
  18. Apr 11, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

for the third time - Fergie wanted Rooney fresh for AV game. Giggs wont start that game. what is so hard to understand in that sub?
  19. Apr 11, 2012

wr8_utd :'(

Take off our only player who's been scoring goals for the past 3 months (even when playing poorly) and keep Giggs on who was woeful. Unbelievable decision.
  20. Apr 11, 2012

beardsleybob Full Member

I thought it was a good change. Nani injected a little energy, pace and urgency into the game. If we had swapped Hernandez for Wellbeck and kept Young on I think we might have equalised
  21. Apr 11, 2012

Mind, playing as badly as we did tonight, convinces me we'll win at City - cos it's a funny old game, and nine times out of ten we win games when we're not expected to, or after a poor result.
  22. Apr 11, 2012

Red Devil 26 Premature Examination

Because we don't concede defeat when we're 0-1 down to Wigan, with 20 mins to go.
  23. Apr 11, 2012

I'll bet you my next month's wages (this month's is accounted for) that we went there and thought we'd walk it.
  24. Apr 11, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

that's what Fergie will tell you, pragmatics are a different thing.
  25. Apr 11, 2012

Name Changed weso26

So we give up early in this match just for the Villa game? The Villa game is a much easier game on paper than away against a scrapping Wigan team who had been playing very well recently.
  26. Apr 11, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Young must have picked up a knock. Only way that sub makes sense for me. He was far form the worst performer. Didn't play like one who deserved to be taken off at HT because of his performance, tactical reasons or no.

If he was alright then SAF made a big mistake on that one IMO.
  27. Apr 11, 2012

Name Changed weso26

There is no way Ferguson accepted defeat.
  28. Apr 11, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Rooney should have been taken off more than twice this season. I didn't object to him being substituted at all. Thought he should have been off before Hernandez but at that point Rooney and Giggs stayed on because of who they are.
  29. Apr 11, 2012

Bill.s.preston Fluffybunnykins

I thought we played a lot better after the substitutions.
  30. Apr 11, 2012

Unam333 Full Member

Maybe you are true we were a bit complacent before the game, but during the game I'm sure we soon realised Wigan are for real and we tried to do are utmost best. Wigan, unfortunately were better on the day.
  31. Apr 11, 2012

Red Devil 26 Premature Examination

I don't buy that I'm afraid. There's no way Fergie would have accepted defeat with that much time left. We wouldn't be as successful as we have been with Fergie possessing that kind of mentality.

And how many times have we played absolute shite, only to nick a goal in the dying minutes? We don't accept defeat with such ease.
  32. Apr 11, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

I would have taken of Valencia and hernandez at half time. Once it became clear they were gonna play like that and doing it well, then those two will struggle.
  33. Apr 11, 2012

Name Changed weso26

I agree.
  34. Apr 11, 2012

I know we're top of the league, and I really do appreciate that fact, but results aside, there have been too many really poor performances this season - CP, Basle, Blackburn etc.
    And it's not the defeats as much as the manner of the defeats.
  35. Apr 11, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

He did accept defeat when City beat us 1-6. He said that at 1-3 he wanted players to keep the scoreline respectful. He also said something similar after the 3:3 game at SB.
  36. Apr 11, 2012

Name Changed weso26

There is a huge difference with being 3-1 down to City and having a man down, than being one down to Wigan with 20 minutes to play. The difference is astronomical.
  37. Apr 11, 2012

Devilton Banned

Rooney was terrible, but so was Valencia and at least Rooney has that ability to produce a bit of magic. I would have taken off a defender to be honest and gone with three centrebacks. Evra would have been the logical choice because he really gave us nothing in attack and was barely noticeable in defence.

That said, I had a feeling before this game that we were going to drop points. We need the wake up call...far too many people thinking the race is over.
  38. Apr 11, 2012

davisjw Full Member

Just reinforces concerns from the summer: we need a proper central midfield. We have the pieces but Scholes is the only one can tie it all together. We still need his replacement.

And if Berbatov is not on the bench against Villa, I'm questioning Fergie. Our strikers need something new.
  39. Apr 11, 2012

Sylar Full Member

I know hes pretty much done but I think Berba deserves a game. Welbeck and Hernandez just look tired / off form. I also dont subscribe to Berba slows our attack down when Chico is offside so many times and Welbeck holds onto the ball too long or tries a fancy flick.

This isnt meant as a bash at either but more so at an anti-bash for Berba who would provide something different when needed.
  40. Apr 11, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

Only problem with Berba though is he's very much a confidence player, which is why I think it's been a mistake to just *** cast him for seemingly no reason. Even if he isn't part of the future he still has plenty to offer. Although who knows, maybe without the pressure of having to perform to get in to the team anymore he can just play naturally.