Wrong substitutions tonight

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by TheReligion, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Apr 12, 2012

kf Full Member

Cleverly was warming up during half time so we knew he was coming on but I was surprised to see Young go off. I assume he picked up a knock, personally I'd have taken Chico off, he just wasn't in it at all. When he took Rooney off, no one was particularly surprised but he could have taken his pick from several others. Lots of people saying Valencia should have been off but I think his lack of impact was greatly influenced by having Jones and not Rafael as his partner in crime. Jones had a bit of a mare so Valencia was alternating between full back and wing positions with no real support.
  2. Apr 12, 2012

redevil2 Full Member

We were a better team when Rooney was taken off last night. Why didn't you see that!
  3. Apr 22, 2012

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Jones instead of Giggs for Scholes.

No Young for the last minutes.
  4. Apr 22, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

Said it before and said it again, what the hell was that about.

Totally the wrong substitution at totally the wrong time.

Not that hard surely?
  5. Apr 22, 2012

Devil may care Full Member

Is there something in Jones contract that says he has to play so many games? because with the experience we had on the bench I can't see any logical reason why we brought him on today.
  6. Apr 22, 2012

Justin Full Member

Jones for his aerial presence is the only reason I can think of
  7. Apr 22, 2012

redevil2 Full Member

United supporters are spoilt rotten! We can't win every bloody game! Give Everton the credit. Why do people always have something to blame when we lost. We donthave the devine right to win every game. At the end of the day/season, we will still be Champions.
  8. Apr 22, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

Oh shut up.

It was the wrong substitution. If we were going to close the game out we should have brought Jones on at 4-2 not 4-4.
  9. Apr 22, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

Definitely bad subs today imo. Didn't make any sense.
  10. Apr 22, 2012

Mr Anderson Full Member

Surprised Rafeal stayed on to be fair. After we conceeded the 3rd, I thought it would be a good thing to get him off for Smalling/Jones to sure us up and fight off aerial threats. Jones for Scholes was meh...
  11. Apr 22, 2012

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

4-2. He doesn't tighten it up.

Then puts on Jones when we need a goal and takes off our most creative midfielder. :houllier:
  12. Apr 22, 2012

Cina Warrior Princess

Jones for Scholes was ridiculous in truth.
  13. Apr 22, 2012

kps88 Full Member

Who was our second midfielder at the end? We had Rafael partnering Carrick I think. Giggs seemed to most obvious option. I wouldn't have changed anything personally, Jones and Hernandez have both been in awful form.
  14. Apr 22, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Why was Carrick in the box then and Jones making deliveries for throw-ins?
  15. Apr 22, 2012

adam118 Full Member

We should of made changes far earlier. Park, who is more defensive and with his work rate may have been enough to see out the game.
  16. Apr 22, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

If anything Smalling should have come on for Rafael.

Then if we had needed a goal we could have brought on Hernandez and/or Young/Giggs
  17. Apr 22, 2012

Valencia should have bee off around the 65-70 mark. Get someone fresh on. He hadn't been very good and looked kind of sloppy. Just before he was finally subbed Rafael made a great run and was free of all defenders practically through on goal but Valencia was slow and lost the ball. Why not bring on Young? Because of the fecking press?
  18. Apr 22, 2012

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Fergie has lost us 2 points today.

The team were up and crusing at 4-2, and just needed tightening up too see it out.

Dare i say somebody like mourinho at chelsea would of done it, but for some strange reason fergie thinks nothing will happen.

I really really cant understand it.

Our 2 most creative players off when we need a goal? i just cannot fathom it.
  19. Apr 22, 2012

gooDevil Worst scout ever

The Scholes sub did seem strange. Either take him off sooner if he needs rest, but could he really only go 85 mins but not 95? Hard to believe.

Of course that's hardly what lost us the win.
  20. Apr 22, 2012

decorativeed Full Member

It can only be explained if it's revealed that Ferguson let Mancini chose the substitutions today. Positively sabotaged our result.
  21. Apr 22, 2012

Amir Full Member

He might not have covered himself with glory, but that was absolutely appalling from the 11 people on the pitch. The manager could have done better, but so should they have.
  22. Apr 22, 2012

SirAF Full Member

The players weak mentality cost us two points today.
  23. Apr 22, 2012

Name Changed weso26

Awful subs, at awful times.
  24. Apr 22, 2012

#07 Full Member

I think what confuses people is that we were chasing a goal and we brought Jones on. Jones should've come on when it was 4-3 to allow us to go 4-5-1. Bringing him on when we needed to go for it was mad. Why not Giggs? I remember on like 93 minutes Jones picked up the ball with Nani to the right of him and played a crossfield ball to left hand touchline for an Everton throw. The guy is many things but he aint gonna carve out an opening with his passing. Infuriatingly Cleverley didn't even make the bench today either.
  25. Apr 22, 2012

Name Changed weso26

Bringing Jones on was ridiculous. Putting Rooney on the left when we were chasing a goal was ridiculous. The manager has to shoulder a lot of the blame for the result.
  26. Apr 22, 2012

Bross Noggie Pez Dispenser

Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
    Really harsh to blame the entire 11 when our offensive players were all very good tonight. The back 4 can hang their heads in shame.
  27. Apr 22, 2012

Uzz Full Member

You can bang on about subs all you want, but with the players we had out there, there is no way we should have conceded in the way we did.
  28. Apr 22, 2012

We already conceded twice in the match. Why couldn't we concede again? Those two conceded goals and then the third one should have raised some more alarms.
  29. Aug 25, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

Terrible subs tonight.

There was absolutely no need to end the game with a Giggs Cleverley CM.

No point bringing in both Welbeck and Rooney. So many options doesnt mean we just try and fit them all in somehow.

When both RVP and Rooney play, it makes no sense for Rooney to lead the line with RVP behind him. Should always be the other way round.
  30. Aug 25, 2012

Irwinwastheking Gimpier than Alex and Feeky

I though Giggs did OK, but Rooney and Welbeck were pointless. We were struggling badly at that point, and I just can't see why he would put on two strikers.
  31. Aug 25, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

Yeah I was just about to bump this thread. Not sure why Evans is on the bench if he can't play 20 minutes. Carrick was understandably struggling and I think he would have helped no end against Dembele if he'd been moved into CM.
  32. Aug 25, 2012

Sylar Full Member

I think Evans would have come on had we not conceded that second. I think that might have had something to do with it.

Didnt have a problem with Giggs coming on.
  33. Aug 25, 2012

gooDevil Worst scout ever

The subs seemed to me to be about getting those players on the bench minutes, as opposed to improving the play. A bit dangerous, but with our affluence of options we may see a fair bit of that sort of thing.
  34. Aug 25, 2012

Theon Full Member

Agree with all that, was bizzare. Especially the bolded.

Welbeck playing on the wing is just a really forced attempt to give him games, he isn't natural their in the way he is as the striker.

Why didn't he move Kagawa wide left? Seeing as he plays there internationally and a few games for Dortmund, it makes sense to see how he'll perform in that position, especially considering it appears the only way of getting Van Persie, Kagawa and Rooney on the pitch at the same time.

Against Everton the haphazard alteration of the wide role between Rooney and Van Persie just looked daft and I can't see it ever working, at times there was no number 9 at all with them both roaming over the pitch.
  35. Aug 26, 2012

davisjw Full Member

Sorry but Giggs has been quite poor since the end of the last season. He's a luxury player, not one to bring on when we're losing the midfield.

Kagawa should of stayed in. He was perfectly linking our back to our front and without him there we went back to the long ball. I think Fergie has gotten quite soft and sentimental in his older age with his subbing. Rooney and Welbeck were not needed, and Rooney should never lead the line when RVP is out there.
  36. Aug 26, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Could understand the Giggs sub. An experienced head supposedly to bring calm to the centre of midfield. More mobile than Scholes to try to combat the threat of Dembele. Did well too but one bad cross will probably taint peoples memory. The other subs weren't really required at the time i thought, but Rooney was never not going to come on at some point.
  37. Aug 26, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

Taking Kagawa off was unnecessary, esp when it was clear RVP was knackered and wasn't fit to play a deeper role. If we still had the two goal lead it would have been fine but seemed risky when we didn't. Ando was knackered and needed to come off and in an energetic game Giggs was probably a better bet than Scholes who we likely wanted to rest after a full 90 at Everton. He coped with Dembele well I thought but ultimately we needed someone who we could bring on with both energy and defensive strength and with Carrick in defence it showed our lack of an alternative to him because that's what we needed in this game in the second half and we almost paid for it. I hate harping on about it but it's 2 games in and issues in midfield imo have already been highlighted.
  38. Aug 26, 2012

ricky-romeo Full Member

thought scholes should have came on instead of giggs. but giggsy made that brilliant tackle on dembele!!!!
  39. Aug 26, 2012

Lawman Full Member

Disagree davisjw usually Giggs comes on and settles us with his experience and having Rooney coming on is only going to make us stronger and we were fading when he came on not after imho.
  40. Aug 26, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Thought Giggs did very well? Won a couple of great tackles, settled us down.

Is it just whinge day on the caf?