Young Americans On Not Voting

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Eboue, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Oct 30, 2018

Eboue nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions

Supports:
    Arsenal
    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/12-young-people-on-why-they-probably-wont-vote.html

the responses are going to make some people very mad but they are pretty much spot on or at least coming from a point of a view i am sympathetic to

2. Oct 30, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter

The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Can I as a young American be judgemental of those who don't vote?

I have many friends who share the thoughts of those the OP quoted. And it is infuriating at times.
  3. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    a few of the main points:

• candidates dont represent me
    • voting is inconvenient in some states
    • registering to vote is confusing in some states
    • my vote doesnt matter
    • the democrats are cowards
    • the voting process is outdated
    • politicians lack principles
    • neither party has a plan to do anything about global warming
    • there is more to being politically active than voting
  4. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    which ones do you find to be bad reasons? i dont agree with them all but i can see where they are coming from
  5. Oct 30, 2018

altodevil Just another Duffy

Well I hope all these folks are instead promoting electoral reform, ranked-choice or proportional voting systems. I doubt it though. I can totally understand those who lean left not wanting to vote for centre-right Dems, but they need to be proactive about it. They risk making their country even worse if not.
  6. Oct 30, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

More younger candidates who younger voters may actually relate with may help things out. Sanders aside, most older candidates offer little in the way of inspiration to the 18-34 crowd.
  7. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    I don't think they are bad reasons to not vote. The main problem for me is that those opinions sometimes come from people who will be fine, regardless of how the election shapes out. So they can afford to justify not voting. But it's selfish to be all "I'm all right Jack" and not think of those who stand to be disadvantaged by the vote going sideways.
  8. Oct 30, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Was going to put the most obviously bad ones in bold but easier/quicker to highlight the only reason that isn't bad.

Some of them are really, really bad though. Voting is inconvenient? The registration process is confusing? Feck me. Not exactly shattering the entitled millenials stereotype, are they?!?
  9. Oct 30, 2018

To be fair to them it's difficult to think of any recent examples where countries have been led down a damaging path by an aging, conservative electorate who turned out to vote in greater numbers than young adults did.

Oh wait...
  10. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    but it is inconvenient. it is confusing. i mean, those are real concerns. whats the best way to get more people to vote: scolding them and calling them entitled are removing the barriers erected by the right to prevent people from voting?
  11. Oct 30, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

Seems like a lot of young people in the US also are searching for a third party.

I want a political party that would encourage business, as i understand the importance of a strong economy for development in a nation, but at the same time i want my government to put people ahead of profits. I also want my government to be proactive on green technology and protecting the environment, anti war, yet serious about crime and security.

It seems right now in the UK, you can't have it all.
  12. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    ok. but that doesnt address the issue because disadvantaged people often have the same reasons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/...ighborhood-didnt-vote-and-dont-regret-it.html
  13. Oct 30, 2018

Ideally, the barriers need to be removed. That will hopefully happen when you've got a government in power with a vested interest in making voting easier/more convenient for everyone (i.e. not the Republican party).

Which won't happen any time soon, so long as these lightweights are deciding they won't vote because it's just too much hassle.
  14. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    but we had that government. obama had a supermajority. and they didnt make any attempt to help. they defunded acorn for fecks sake. its a fair reaction to look at the past and realize that neither party cares about them or their lives or the lives of the poor.
  15. Oct 30, 2018

Vato Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    I never voted for anyone or anything. Couldn't give two fecks.
  16. Oct 30, 2018

Nah, that’s bollox. Damaging bollox too. This idea that “they’re all as bad as each other” when Obama launched Obamacare and Trump is putting children in cages.
  17. Oct 30, 2018

ErranMorad New Member

I am a lazy entitled cnut who can't bother to go through the herculean task of registering to vote or getting off my ass to vote. Doesn't matter to me if Trump or some Trump propelled right wing lunatic gets elected because the other options aren't sexy enough. If a candidate doesn't represent my myopic, batty & unimplementable ideas, the world can burn in hell. #IamWoke #JesuisWhateverthefeckistrending

What a bunch of fecking assholes.
  18. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Pogue, buddy, it's not bollocks. They had a supermajority. They didn't do anything to make voting easier. They didn't do anything simple like automatic registration on your 18th birthday or automatic mailed ballots. They didnt do anything. I'm not speculating, I'm just looking at what actually happened.
  19. Oct 30, 2018

fishfingers15 Contributes to username and tagline changes

Silly and stupid excuses.
  20. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    ive voted in every election and we've had the same impact, so good call by you.
  21. Oct 30, 2018

Florida Man Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Most of those are pathetic. Yeah let’s desire something better without actually doing the bare minimum to effect that change. Lazy entitled cnuts.
  22. Oct 30, 2018

Sweet Square Full Member

So you want to walk on water ?
  23. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    True. I was speaking about my friends.

I think the reasons for voting are almost always legitimate. I can think of a bunch of excuses that would justify not voting next week. But I'm going to try to push against those reasons as much as is possible. Some people don't have the luxury of doing that. My ire is for those who can push, and inconvenience themselves a bit, but choose not to. I wouldn't knock someone who didn't have transportation options for not getting to the booth.

Truth of the matter is that the people who we're up against always turn out. How does change happen if our voices are everywhere (social media, prime time opinion shows, late night comedy), but not at the booth? Yes, even if the choices aren't perfect and voting isn't 100% convenient?
  24. Oct 30, 2018

The United Full Member

If they don't vote at all though, wouldn't it make the situations worse?

They need more progressive politicians but those won't come out because they think no one will vote them to offices?

It will be a bit difficult at first but someone gotta start somewhere and I do think young voters coming out to vote and make their voices heard would be a necessary start for this process even if they have to vote for a bit of centrist candidates first then demand them to go progressive a bit more for each cycle.

At least the right are winning that way. You're not going to get there at all once.

In short, they should use their brains a bit more to be useful.
  25. Oct 30, 2018

fishfingers15 Contributes to username and tagline changes

Instead of spending money on TV ads, Dems should put all their effort into overcoming voter registration challenges for the poor who are ready to vote, but are prevented from voting. It may be good for these non voting people who can volunteer to those efforts as they may see how poor people without representation suffer massively yet want to vote to make a difference.
  26. Oct 30, 2018

Sorry. You’re right. I was too dismissive. The Democrats could and should have done more to make voting easier for everyone. Hard to work out why they didn’t as it would be such an obvious benefit to them in the next election. Any idea why the sat on their hands?

EDIT: Genuine question. In case you think I’m being my usual sarcy self!
  27. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    but "the choices aren't perfect" isnt a fair way of describing the fact that we have 12 years to save the planet and neither party is doing anything about it.

additionally, i think its reasonable to conclude that your vote doesnt matter in a country where:

• the republicans have lost the popular vote and won the electoral college twice in the last twenty years
    • democrats won more votes for the house and republicans have a large majority
    • state and local districts are extremely gerrymandered
  28. Oct 30, 2018

oneniltothearsenal Caf's Milton Friedman (and Arse aficionado) Scout

Supports:
    Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
    Its not that simply in every state though. A few states have massive voter suppression efforts where the rolls get purged late, polling stations are removed from the center of poor districts, they have to deal with old voting machines. Then take into account that employers who are more likely Republican don't have to give their employees any time off to vote (in California they do). Many of these workers are week to week wage workers. I know from some countries/states it seems simply to just say "well just Vote" but in some states its just not that simply and vote shaming like always happens never helps.

There could of course be some easy fixes from an incentive perspective if the Federal government wanted:

• Every voter automatically gets absentee ballot 45 days in advance and no voter rolls are allowed to be purged after that
    • Every employer must allow time off for employees to vote during Election Day without being forced to lose sick or vacation time
    • Every district must have some standard of polling stations. You can't have a 5 minute wait in Republican leaning districts to vote and a 2 hour wait in poor/minority districts
  29. Oct 30, 2018

berbatrick Full Member Scout

Lol. You made a specific prediction: "That will hopefully happen when you've got a government in power with a vested interest in making voting easier/more convenient for everyone (i.e. not the Republican party)."

Eboue cited actual history of the opposite happening.

Your response: "uhhh Trump locks people in cages."

No, the conversation was about the Dems having a vested interest in more voters, but it seems in reality they didn't care about it.
  30. Oct 30, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

It's not impossible. New Labour managed it for years.
  31. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    :lol: I was actually unsure

I honestly think the reason is because 1) gerrymandering helps the politicians currently in power. Usually it creates safe seats for both sides in order to get votes from the current elected officials. 2) they are a center right party who long ago jettisoned the base of their party in favor of chasing wall street money 3) they are cowards, as usual

i think democrats genuinely do not want mass movements or grassroots organizing. heres another example of it.

https://newrepublic.com/article/140245/obamas-lost-army-inside-fall-grassroots-machine
  32. Oct 30, 2018

My comment about Trump in cages was a response to the idea that neither party “cares about them or the lives of the poor”. Which obviously goes beyond the issue of how to make it any easier vote.
  33. Oct 30, 2018

Sweet Square Full Member

Please let's not do this for the millionth time. What your saying is completely untrue.
  34. Oct 30, 2018

Siorac Full Member

This is something I never understood: why do so many countries have elections on weekdays? Makes no sense to me. Here elections are always on a Sunday.

Also, having to register for an election is very... anti-voter. It should be automatic when you turn 18.
  35. Oct 30, 2018

Sweet Square Full Member

Bingo

The alienation from the self is a consequence of being a mechanistic part of a social class, the condition of which estranges a person from their humanity.
  36. Oct 30, 2018

Even if they don’t want mass movements or grassroots organizing why wouldn’t they want to make it easier for poor people to vote, considering they will get the majority of these votes? It’s not as though those votes count for anything other than helping them win the election.
  37. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    ok but how do you effect that change? im more politically interested than the vast majority. ive posted on here before about the absolute despair of the situation. i mean, ill keep fighting because what else can you do except have solidarity but i dont honestly think we can change for the better without getting so much worse first
  38. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    I'm not disagreeing with any of that. It's a self fulfilling prophecy though. Your vote will absolutely not count when you don't vote because you think it doesn't count.

Voting isn't sufficient against those obstacles you've mentioned.
  39. Oct 30, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    i dont have a great answer. sometimes i think they genuinely prefer being a minority party because then no one expects anything of them. sometimes i think its because only the truly poor are actual dem lean.

if your family income is less than $50,000 you are poor in america. and yet look at this table.

[​IMG]
  40. Oct 30, 2018

oneniltothearsenal Caf's Milton Friedman (and Arse aficionado) Scout

Supports:
    Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
    The cold truth is that for many people that are not attracted to following politics but just trying to live their lives and make ends meet their lives are simply not materially different under Trump than Obama than Bush than Clinton. There are big groups that don't feel any negative effects from Trump's presidency at this point in time so when they get lectured "OMG Trump is so evil, you need to vote" they think it *is* just the 'liberal media' overreacting. To a lot of people politicians words are just empty hype and from their experience all politicians actions are self-serving.