Youtuber exploits suicide victim via vlog

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bucky, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jan 2, 2018

bucky Full Member

2018 is off to a great start.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42538495

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/logan-paul-youtube-blasted-video_us_5a4b3372e4b06d1621ba4eb3

Since we have threads on here dedicated to depression, it goes without saying that people who are suffering from the depression should not seek out that video. If mods feel the need to add a trigger warning of some kind, be my guest.
  2. Jan 2, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Rather this thread was deleted and nobody heard any more of this “YouTube star”, personally.

These discussion have been done to death, it’s only the example that is new.
  3. Jan 2, 2018

bucky Full Member

I'd be completely fine with that.
  4. Jan 2, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I stumbled across this via Twitter outrage this morning. As is always the case, the great and good on Twitter are falling over themselves to take the most offence possible. I've never heard of your man but he comes across as fairly thick. Terrible fecking decision to go ahead and release the video but his reaction in the heat of the moment is probably not all that different to how many thick young men would react in a similar situation. Yet - of course - Twitter has taken nervous laughter during a stressful situation and spun it to mean that someone was mocking the dead and/or making light of suicide, which was clearly never the intention.
  5. Jan 2, 2018

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Oh dear.
  6. Jan 2, 2018

On a side note, the way this forest seems to be actively marketed by the Japanese tourist board as being a place of interest for tourists to come and have a nosy round is the most fecked up thing in this whole story. It was inevitable that something like this would happen.
  7. Jan 2, 2018

Wumminator The Special One!

Youtube star is a massive idiot shocker.
  8. Jan 2, 2018

bucky Full Member

Did you watch the video? It wasn't live, was it? I mean, he made the decision to upload it, right? Really not sure how twitter is the bigger problem here instead of the person doing this fecked up thing for views. At least that's what your post sounds like.
  9. Jan 2, 2018

Javi Full Member

How 'vloggers' can make money filming the shit they do every day is beyond me. Who cares?
  10. Jan 2, 2018

Hammerfell Full Member

People, obviously.
  11. Jan 2, 2018

Like I said, posting the video was a terrible decision. I also think the outrage is over the top. It was disrespectful to upload the video but his behaviour during it is nowhere near as monstrous as it’s being portrayed. Twitter isn’t the main problem here but the way so mang people use it as a medium to grand-stand their outrage and pile on anyone who steps out of line is not a great reflection on society.
  12. Jan 2, 2018

bucky Full Member

I don't think it is. He has 15 million subscribers and most likely quite a few are children. I think it comes with the territory and looking at this other vlogs, he seems like someone, who needs a lot of criticism to actually make a change for the better.
  13. Jan 2, 2018

ovoxo Full Member

It’s sickening what he did. How could anyone in their right mind go to a place known for sucides, record and get close to a some poor man who killed himself? And then proceed to laugh and make jokes?

The worst thing is, Logan took the video down himself, apparently. YouTube didn’t even do anything about it. The guy has 15 million subscribers, with a lot of them being kids, which is even more inappropriate. How anyone can think what he’s done is appropriate is beyond me. His apology mainly spoke about how great he is, and then a Spider-Man quote.

An Utterly vile human being.
  14. Jan 2, 2018

The Bloody-Nine Full Member

How did this video not get flagged, given the terms of service and how super PC youtube has become?

Good start to 2018 for the lad, anyway, whoever he is.
  15. Jan 2, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

Don’t know who he is.

But at the end of the day he knew what he was doing by uploading it. This is going to garner him mainstream attention. More little clicks on his videos, which he’d be paid a hefty sum from unless YouTube do something.
  16. Jan 2, 2018

Youtube make too much money from him, they won't do anything. By the way, the video had over 450,000 likes. Smart fan base.
  17. Jan 2, 2018

Rooney1987 Full Member

This does seem to be making mainstream headlines, you'd like to think they have to act. Sure you're right he'll get nothing or just a slap on the wrist. I know the YouTube algorithm isn't great but this video was up for almost a day, 6 millions views and was on the youtube trending page and no one thought to take it down. Sad to see I've seen people get channels taken down for far less.
  18. Jan 2, 2018

The apology video he made will probably cover him.

By the way, he certainly surrounds himself with smart people. Not one of his hanger ons suggested that uploading the video might not be the smartest play? It's all "is that a dead body, time to get paaaaaaaaiiiiid, son!" Tossers.
  19. Jan 2, 2018

Nogbadthebad Full Member

It not only didn't get flagged, it was top of the 'now trending' list that youtube itself compiles - they claim its all automated but have a history of pushing certain channels, it is clearly manipulated.

Its all about money for them.
  20. Jan 2, 2018

Fergies Gum Full Member

Disgusting behaviour but sadly not a surprise. Some of these Youtube stars do despicable things and Youtube doesn't do much about it.
  21. Jan 2, 2018

DavelinaJolie Full Member

From what I know of the guy, from the little I've seen of his videos, he's an absolute you know what.

Saying he made a mistake... He made a long series of bad decisions and could have turned around at any point, right at the start with not deciding to go to a renowned "suicide forest" to film a fecking vlog. That he chose to continue on to the point where he posted footage of a dead body hanging, on a channel seemingly predominantly watched by kids and teens speaks volumes to his immaturity, entitlement, lack of empathy and everything else crappy about the situation.

Even his apology reeks of it. No apologies to anyone harmed by the video. No apologies to friends and relatives of the dead person be filmed. Just self-aggrandizing twaddle about his influence and how many videos he made. Then capped it off with a hashtag.

Screw that guy. Screw him.
  22. Jan 2, 2018

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen

Think DeFranco or some other youtuber commented that the money they earn from any individual channel is nothing compared to how much it can cost them if advertisers drop out because of incidents like this not getting a response.
    One could hope both of those brothers get kicked out, but since both were relatively big on the youtube-rewind video I kinda doubt it... Unless they get into more trouble which puts them in a "big but not promoted" category like pewdiepie.
  23. Jan 2, 2018

Rooney1987 Full Member

Interested to hear his take later on his show, he has been hit by YouTube ad revenue hard with his videos always get flagged or taken down just for swearing or just just talking about a major news story. Yet this video has a dead body is on YouTube's trending page for a whole day.
  24. Jan 2, 2018

Honestly love DeFranco's show.
    One of the things I can look forward to as I don't feel my paranoid need to look behind peoples words to find what they really mean, he'll spill the beans when he has a interest in a case.
  25. Jan 2, 2018

Borden Full Member

Blown out of proportion. As usual.
  26. Jan 2, 2018

Having said that I think this has been overblown I have to say I also agree with this guy (and not just because I like him on CBBC). Youtube should pre-vet every video that goes out on the kids youtube app. That would cost them a lot of money but they can afford it, so expense is no excuse.
  27. Jan 2, 2018

Silva Full Member

There needs to be better regulation of apps targeting children overall. Not only pre-vetting third party content, but also banning micro transactions so a parent doesn't find their bank account missing thousands of pounds overnight.
  28. Jan 2, 2018

redom Full Member

I'm certainly not overly familiar with this guy but as far as I know his following is quite heavily made up of kids (I'm not sure which age group exactly) which in part may explain why the reaction has been so vociferous.
  29. Jan 2, 2018

I think the onus is more on the parents with that one. Micro transactions on an iPhone require a password or thumb-print ID and anyone who gives their kid their iTunes password is asking for trouble. Not sure how it works on android but assume it's similarly easy to stop kids accessing paid for content.

The kids youtube app is really problematic for me, though. It's marketed as being a "safe" version of youtube that parents will be inclined to let their kids use unsupervised. In reality, they can stumble across all sorts of unpleasant stuff because the only vetting is done by highly fallible algorithms.

Actually, I may have come up with a business idea. A company that uses real people to actively vet youtube content for kids and creates an app that will only let kids see pre-approved content. Any investors out there?
  30. Jan 2, 2018

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

Did anyone read the bloke's apology? Didn't sound sorry at all and instead kept on praising himself within the apology!
  31. Jan 2, 2018

This is telling.

32. Jan 2, 2018

Organic Potatoes Full Member

Supports:
    Colorado Rapids
    I remember reading about this place. A bit creepy.
  33. Jan 2, 2018

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Japan's suicide rate is very high.
  34. Jan 2, 2018

Holy feck.
  35. Jan 2, 2018

DatIrishFella Band of Brothers, Thief

Little cnuting tweeners making these YouTube "stars" millions per year without a modicum of talent.

Poxy little shits.

Those Paul brothers are scrotes by the by.

Idiocracy is the future.
  36. Jan 2, 2018

Olly bacon hating kebab dodging Tinder stud Scout

The only times I've seen this guy's name mentioned is people saying what a cock he is, so no surprise I guess.
  37. Jan 2, 2018

Ubik Full Member

Apparently he monetised his "apology" video?

I agree with Pogue that a lot of the social media outrage these days is bs, but I'm struggling for sympathy on this one.
  38. Jan 2, 2018

Fergies Gum Full Member

This scumbag has now uploaded a video where he uses a clip of Logan Paul in the forest.

39. Jan 2, 2018

Arruda Love is in the air, everywhere I look around

Supports:
    Porto
    To be fair, if I look at the sort of people who could make lots of money in TV for the past decades it's not much different. The amount that don't seem inteligent, funny (to me) or even original is staggering. The subjects they talk about are usually ridiculous or outright lunacy. What most have in common is an ability to speak in "public" in a relaxed manner, improvise, and be entertaining to certain demographics.

So it's not surprising that in the newer forms of media, similar phenomenons are encountered. At least the threshold to get in and start is available to far more people, so kudos to them for finding a creative way to make a living.
  40. Jan 2, 2018

villain caf sexpert

Lots of people, it can become similar to watching soap operas because you become invested in their lives.
    One of my friends has grown her channel from doing small time make up videos, now she does 2/3 videos a week where she updates her followers on what she’s been doing, what clothes/make up/accessories she’s recently bought etc.

You may not care, but there’s certainly a huge market.

That being said, this guy is a dick, and his apology was shallow and not authentic.