1. World Cup 2018 Forum now open for business
    Dismiss Notice

Zlatan - closing in on joining LA Galaxy (MLS)

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by VancouverUtdFan, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 29, 2018

VancouverUtdFan Full Member

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/report-zlatan-ibrahimovic-closing-joining-galaxy-mls/
  2. Jan 29, 2018

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Well damn. Can’t say I’m surprised but can’t say I saw it coming either.

Knew Ibra’s role would be very limited from now till the end of the season at United but was looking forward to seeing him in the CL and that experience and fire he would have brought.

...if true, I’ll definitely make sure to see him live when the Galaxy come down to face my Whitecaps :]
  3. Jan 29, 2018

Adisa Full Member

Not surprised.
  4. Jan 29, 2018

AgentP Full Member

I can see this happening. Would be a good move for all parties. We have Rashford, Martial and Sanchez who can fill in as CF if Lukaku is out.
  5. Jan 29, 2018

Suedesi Full Member

Good luck to the big man.
  6. Jan 29, 2018

zenith New Member

Hope it doesn't materialize before the summer. He could be important when the champions League games come around.
  7. Jan 29, 2018

prateik Full Member

I was really happy I got to see Larsson play for us for 6 months.
    Zlatan gave us a great season.
    If we were challenging for the league, he wouldve stayed as he hasnt won it before.. but he has no real reason to stay on.. wont be getting too many minutes.
  8. Jan 29, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Can see it happening personally. Sanchez and Martial can cover the striker position so we don't need him much at the moment.

Good luck for him. One of my favorite players and was great to see him playing and scoring with our shirt.
  9. Jan 29, 2018

kps88 Full Member

Always assumed he would leave in the summer.
  10. Jan 29, 2018

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Sad :(

Had he not been injured, he would have been such a great option to rotate and in Europe as well. Good luck to the big man.
  11. Jan 29, 2018

Red_toad Full Member

He’s now surplus and isn’t as mobile as he was pre injury. Basically he’s finished at United, so we’re allowing him to leave just like Pigshagger. There would be no situation where he’d be an ‘important’ player for United again.
    Best of luck to him, had a very successful United career, shame he got injured. Will pick up a decent retirement boost in the States.
  12. Jan 29, 2018

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Unfortunately if it were to happen, would have to happen now as the MLS season starts in March. I’m certain Galaxy will want that 2 month period to advertise and bring in as much revenue as possible.

Kinda bummed out about this to be honest. Zlatan’s goal was to come to England to win and even though the league gap is as big as it is, with the addition of Sanchez we really do have a shot at CL so I’m surprised he’s electing to forego that. And as unlikely as it is, you never know how the league will play out either so there’s still an off chance there as well.
  13. Jan 29, 2018

meamth Full Member

What's the point of that No.10 return video if he doesn't accomplish anything before he left?

You're right, with Sane out for a month as well.
  14. Jan 29, 2018

Akshay Moderator Staff

I think he wants to play a role in any trophy we win rather than just be along for the ride. If he barely plays between now and May I doubt he'd care that much about what the team won.
  15. Jan 29, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Not surprised, good deal for all parties. With Sanchez signing we have Martial and Rashford who can play as strikers if needed, so we don't have much use of Zlatan. To add to that he isn't fully fit and he is out of the game for nearly a year (except few mins he played when not fully fit and playing awfully). So it's time to make the move.
  16. Jan 29, 2018

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    It’s why I’m having a tough time understanding this whole situation.

United stripped away the #9 from Martial without informing him and gave it to Ibra. I remember at the time it was a pretty big deal and Anthony was visibly upset purposely-unpurposely showing signs and hints on social media. Especially considering his own brand was/is revolves around the #9 being “AM9”. Everyone thought that meant Zlatan sticks for at least 2 full seasons making such a move but I guess not.

And yea with Sane out, City having been beaten, United getting Sanchez...you never know.
  17. Jan 29, 2018

rampo Full Member

Do we have adequate cover if he leaves?

I think we will have to revert to 4-3-3 if he leaves as I don't think we have enough cover for the front 4 positions (we will have 6 players for 4 positions - Lukaku, Martial, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard, Rashford) if he leaves. That would leave us very thin and we would be an injury away to barebones
  18. Jan 29, 2018

dannyrhinos89 OMG socks and sandals lol!

Even though he recovered well I Think his injury coupled with his age means he has lost his ability to perform at the very top level. He gave us a great season but left it too late in his career to join united.

It’s probably a good move for all parties, we would be getting a player that’s far down the pecking order moved and getting his big wages off the wage bill and Zlatan and LA would be onto a huge money maker.
  19. Jan 29, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

Hopefully the move won't happen until the end of the year as he could come in very handy if we happen to go deep into the CL.
  20. Jan 29, 2018

Jaybomb Banned

No!

We need him for the Champions League.
  21. Jan 29, 2018

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    This as well in which case fair play to him

Still a bit disappointing to see him leave like this if the reports are true
  22. Jan 29, 2018

Abdullah7 New Member

I didn't want it to end this way :(

I would have loved, more for United's sake than him, to get out having an EPL medal to continue his streak in winning a league wherever he played. Plus, that elusive UCL he never won.

Good luck Ibra, I wish we had you earlier in your career. You're a winner and good example to the upcoming generation of what a real United player looked like. that aura that followed him can't be bought or made, it comes naturally with guys like him.
  23. Jan 29, 2018

AndyJ1985 Full Member Verified Moaner

No we don't.
  24. Jan 29, 2018

kotha Full Member

Disappointed that he couldn't win a league with us.. :( I think he's leaving as we most likely don't have a shot at the league.. Might have used him in the CL I suppose..

He started great last year.. That injury really ruined it.. To come back to peak fitness at his age was a big ask.. Overall though,I'm glad he came to us.. Was a great personality to have in the dressing room and around the club in general.. His winning mentality and never say die attitude hopefully rubbed off on the squad..

Good luck to him,only wish he came to us sooner..
  25. Jan 29, 2018

Pacificgi Full Member

We're not going to be able to give him regular games to get his match fitness up to get the best out of him so probably a good decision
  26. Jan 29, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

We'll swap it with an Ozil video in the summer.:)

#10 being vacant is a good sign. Dybala or Ozil please.
  27. Jan 29, 2018

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    Great first season, bad luck with the injury. Always felt like Jose was more invested in him getting well than himself.
  28. Jan 29, 2018

Jaybomb Banned

Yes we do. How is losing a player at this stage a good decision? He could come off the bench and win a game for us.
  29. Jan 29, 2018

17 Van der Gouw biffa bin

Would be disappointing, feel he's not properly gotten over his big injury yet and that he's got more to give us.
  30. Jan 29, 2018

Shark @NotShark

The idea that he'd come back and lead us to the title was always a fairytale and nothing more, even for Zlatan.
  31. Jan 29, 2018

Footyislife Full Member

Reminder that no one beats father time. Personally not his biggest football fan in the twilight of his career, but a great person & glad he filled a vacancy for us until we grabbed Lukaku. Martial, Sanchez are already better & now its the time to look to the next gen. with Rashford getting more PT, since he's the biggest loser from the Sanchez move.
  32. Jan 29, 2018

rpitroda Full Member

Unless I’m totally missing the timeline/order of events, this makes no sense whatsoever.

If I recall his injury came first followed by his one year extension. I don’t get why we would extend his contract only to let him go once he is finally recovered?

The only plausible explanation is that the injury has had a greater impact on his performance than we expected otherwise we have extended and paid his contract whilst being injured only to let him go once healthy.
  33. Jan 29, 2018

Robertd0803 Full Member

Could be that the club didnt want to be the bad guys by letting him go as a free agent while injured long term as well. Id guess his second contract with us was on much different terms than the first was.

Anyway sad to see him leave without completing his goal of winning the league.
  34. Jan 29, 2018

Hawks2008 Full Member

Sad to see it end this way but not surprised. That injury was always gonna take a toll on a 36 year old man no matter how many times he told us he's a lion. All the best Zlatan!
  35. Jan 29, 2018

rpitroda Full Member

Indeed it could be based on actual games played rather than on a fixed basis.

I don’t think the former would have had any impact though.
  36. Jan 29, 2018

Idxomer New Member

Zlatan despite his skills on the ball for a guy his height depended a lot on his physique the way he played, so it was always going to be a tough task to have this kind of injury without it impacting his level heavily especially at his age. I think it was a bit of an understatement from the club to expect him to get back to his previous level or even close to it after such an injury at the age of 36.
  37. Jan 29, 2018

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Let him go, we have enough to cover for him. Secondly, he has been a shadow of his former self this season.
  38. Jan 29, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Zlatan has a very poor record in the UCL knockout stages.
  39. Jan 29, 2018

Adisa Full Member

He's probably been told he won't play much.
  40. Jan 29, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I think it's a good move for all concerned. I was delighted with Ibra staying here to rehabilitate and play a role this season but in hindsight it hasn't really worked. He seems to have rushed his comeback and the combination of carrying him below the levels we're used to and trying to shoehorn him in alongside Lukaku has been more of a hindrance to us than a help.

I would say 16/17 was and will always be his year, in the same way 12/13 was RVP's, and if there's a good deal on the table from LA the chance to see out his career in the sun should be taken.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.