£20m Berbatov bid to put cat amongst the pigeons.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
So says the Sunday People anyway. The paper's reporter said Chelsea are going to test Spurs' resolve. And even if this bid [assuming it exists] were to come to nothing ], which is likely, Berbatov could be irrevocably tempted.

Now i am not a passenger on the 'Berbatov to United' bandwagon, but for those of you that are, how high would you have us go in an effort to achieve just that?

kanchelskis14

I see Berbatov and Torres as two VERY similar types of players, both lead the line, but come outside the box and off the shoulder at times to link up and create too. Berbatov is older and slower. He is, however, Premiership tested. I think if we were bidding above £20m and still struggling to sign him, then we should just try Torres.

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
I'd say Berbatov would be a potentially superb signing for 20m, and has his weaknesses like mobility, however he's superbly creative and I think our entire attacking unit would love to play off his invention and he'd benefit from from the kind of support we'd be giving him. Far better option than Torres, but I suppose you could speculate that Torres will sooner or later be at a level where he can actually justify his insane hype.

Chapster

So says the Sunday People anyway. The paper's reporter said Chelsea are going to test Spurs' resolve. And even if this bid [assuming it exists] were to come to nothing ], which is likely, Berbatov could be irrevocably tempted.

Now i am not a passenger on the 'Berbatov to United' bandwagon, but for thsoe of you that are, how high would you have us go in an effort to achieve just that?
great now they'll have two players that they go route one for

:houllier: :boring:

Wes

Berbatov's link up play is Cantona-esque, with the pace we have, i.e. Roon and Ron, we could cover up his lack of it. no more than 20mill though, could be a one-season wonder.

Ekeke

£20 million would be a joke. He is in no way better now than he was at Leverkusen when we first saw him. A decent striker but there are better.

kanchelskis14

£20 million would be a joke. He is in no way better now than he was at Leverkusen when we first saw him. A decent striker but there are better.
He's worth £20m definetly. If he was no better than at Leverkusen, then it just goes to show that a player may not be appreciated enough until he comes to a bigger league, otherwise he should have been worth £20m when he was in Germany, and scoring 20+ goals there too.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Good player, but his achievements this year have been much overstated. 10 league goals from 30 games leaves a lot to be desired. 9 assists, which is decent, but nothing amazing.

OK, bit unfair that, as he has really stood out in many of those games, and played very well in Europe, but it looks a bit silly that he's in the team of the year ahead of the likes of Rooney and Van Persie.

I think £20m would be justifiable, but there are other players I'd rather we signed.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Good player, but his achievements this year have been much overstated. 10 league goals from 30 games leaves a lot to be desired. 9 assists, which is decent, but nothing amazing.

OK, bit unfair that, as he has really stood out in many of those games, and played very well in Europe, but it looks a bit silly that he's in the team of the year ahead of the likes of Rooney and Van Persie.

I think £20m would be justifiable, but there are other players I'd rather we signed.
Like Lennon for a start, if we're raiding Spurs again

I'd fecking love us to sign Lennon, he'd fit in perfectly as well as mollifying the catastrophe if Ronaldo leaves at some point

Berbatov's excellent but I'm not sure he's quite what we need.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I see Berbatov and Torres as two VERY similar types of players, both lead the line, but come outside the box and off the shoulder at times to link up and create too. Berbatov is older and slower. He is, however, Premiership tested. I think if we were bidding above £20m and still struggling to sign him, then we should just try Torres.
Berbatov maybe slower but IMO he has better vision which makes up for the lack of pace in comparison to Torres. I agree with everything you said though. No doubt:cool:

kanchelskis14

Like Lennon for a start, if we're raiding Spurs again

I'd fecking love us to sign Lennon, he'd fit in perfectly as well as mollifying the catastrophe if Ronaldo leaves at some point

Berbatov's excellent but I'm not sure he's quite what we need.
You love Lennon too much Plech. Fecking sprinter the kid, Nani would shit all over him as far as ability is concerned. And can pretty much run as fast too.

Gabe

Nani has a buyout clause of 7m, though Sporting are trying to get him on a new contract.

Looks like good value at 7m.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Nani has a buyout clause of 7m, though Sporting are trying to get him on a new contract.

Looks like good value at 7m.
That's not true. His current buyout clause is at 20 million Euro. If Nani signs a new contract his buyout clause will go up to 30 million Euro.

Mainoldo

Berbatov can get you 20+ goals a season tho.. i'm not quite sure whether Torres could!! So i would pick Berbabtov out of the 2, although Torres's age does make it very difficult! Infact i change my mind i agree with you!

kanchelskis14

Berbatov can get you 20+ goals a season tho.. i'm not quite sure whether Torres could!! So i would pick Berbabtov out of the 2, although Torres's age does make it very difficult! Infact i change my mind i agree with you!
Torres usually gets around 15-17ish in Spain mind, i'm sure he could make the jump up to 20+ with us.

Cold_Boy

20 mil pounds is a bit too much imo.And I am not quite sure if Tottenham will sell him for 20 mil.

red2deadboy

I'd say Berbatov would be a potentially superb signing for 20m, and has his weaknesses like mobility, however he's superbly creative and I think our entire attacking unit would love to play off his invention and he'd benefit from from the kind of support we'd be giving him. Far better option than Torres, but I suppose you could speculate that Torres will sooner or later be at a level where he can actually justify his insane hype.
How we are playing at the moment the team would line up as below. I agree that Bervatov would be a good foil for Rooney, Giggs & Ronaldo to float around as we never really replaced that kind of player, 1st we had cantona, and then teddy so maybe berbatov could follow in that mould.

---------Berbatov
Rooney---Giggs---Ronaldo
-----Carrick--Scholes
Evra--Vidic---Rio--Gary
---------Foster

Gabe

That's not true. His current buyout clause is at 20 million Euro. If Nani signs a new contract his buyout clause will go up to 30 million Euro.
I read that somewhere recently, too good to be true I suppose.
I stand corrected.

Mainoldo

How we are playing at the moment the team would line up as below. I agree that Bervatov would be a good foil for Rooney, Giggs & Ronaldo to float around as we never really replaced that kind of player, 1st we had cantona, and then teddy so maybe berbatov could follow in that mould.

---------Berbatov
Rooney---Giggs---Ronaldo
-----Carrick--Scholes
Evra--Vidic---Rio--Gary
---------Foster
what the feck you on about? Teddy, Cantona! he doesn't play like them!!

Balloonless

:lol: :houllier:

Completly different types of player.

Plechazunga

You love Lennon too much Plech. Fecking sprinter the kid, Nani would shit all over him as far as ability is concerned. And can pretty much run as fast too.
Bollocks. Yes he's fast as feck - no bad thing. But his touch is superb. His crossing and general distribution could be better, but the same was true of Cristiano when he arrived. He's a class player.

Never seen Nani, far from convinced he exists.

kanchelskis14

Bollocks. Yes he's fast as feck - no bad thing. But his touch is superb. His crossing and general distribution could be better, but the same was true of Cristiano when he arrived. He's a class player.

Never seen Nani, far from convinced he exists.
He does exist, you can find him down the road in Portugal, he has always been there. Lennon isn't in the same class as Ronaldo. And as far as raw youngsters go, he's not as good as Nani, not as dynamic. He can only ever be a 'winger', while Nani is just an attacker or forward in general.

I wouldn't call him 'class'. I think even now i can conclude that he will never be in the top or highest tier of players in world football. Ronaldo when he first joined still showed more promise than Lennon i feel.

I don't think he's crap at all. It's just like your point when we were comparing Overmars and Giggs. Overmars was obviously a very good player, but you feel he wasn't in the same class as Giggs, more of a speed merchant. As is Lennon.

Spoony

The People's President
He does exist, you can find him down the road in Portugal, he has always been there. Lennon isn't in the same class as Ronaldo. And as far as raw youngsters go, he's not as good as Nani, not as dynamic. He can only ever be a 'winger', while Nani is just an attacker or forward in general.

I wouldn't call him 'class'. I think even now i can conclude that he will never be in the top or highest tier of players in world football. Ronaldo when he first joined still showed more promise than Lennon i feel.

I don't think he's crap at all. It's just like your point when we were comparing Overmars and Giggs. Overmars was obviously a very good player, but you feel he wasn't in the same class as Giggs, more of a speed merchant. As is Lennon.

Overmars was never the same after the injury. Looked a much better player at Ajax than he ever did for Arsenal.

Spoony

The People's President
It's true, Nani does exist!

Nani (footballer)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Nani
Personal information
Full name Luís Carlos Almeida da Cunha
Date of birth 17 November 1986
Place of birth Amadora, Portugal
Height 1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)
Playing position Wing forward
Club information
Current club Flag of Portugal Sporting
Number 18
Youth clubs
Massama
Sporting CP Youth Academy
Senior clubs1
Years Club App (Gls)*
2005- Flag of Portugal Sporting CP 38 (8)
National team2
2006- Flag of Portugal Portugal 5 (1)

1 Senior club appearances and goals
counted for the domestic league only and
correct as of October 27, 2006.
2 National team caps and goals correct
as of March 28, 2007.
* Appearances (Goals)

Nani fullname Luís Carlos Almeida da Cunha (b. 17 November 1986 in Amadora) is a Portuguese football (soccer) midfielder, currently plays for Sporting Clube de Portugal.

[edit] Football career

Nani started his career at his local club Massama on the outskirts of Lisbon before joining Sporting Clube de Portugal youth system.

Nani is the latest outstanding talent to be produced by Sporting’s seemingly endless conveyor belt of world-class wingers. The same system that produced Luis Figo, Simão, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ricardo Quaresma appears to have unearthed another sensation capable of attaining the heights of such exalted company.

His speed, strength and skill have led many to compare him with Cristiano Ronaldo. He is equally at home on either flank.

He broke into the first team at 18 years of age, and made an immediate impression with his dazzling footwork and extreme speed, scoring 6 goals in his debut season.

Nani enjoyed a blistering start to the 2006/07 season with two goals in Sporting’s first two matches and another on his international debut where he gave a man-of-the-match display against Denmark.

Plechazunga

Lennon's not just a winger either, he's been played as a sort of inside forward at times this season, he's excellent at it.

No he's not in Ronaldo's class, hardly anyone in the world is. He is however a terrific player, not sure what your prediction of mediocrity is based on.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'd buy Nani, swap him for Berbatov, then swap Berbatov for Lennon, then I'd swap Lennon for Berbatov and Nani, as a result we'd have both Nani and Berbatov for the price of Nani.