£30m? I'll Make It Look A Bargain Says Wayne Rooney

RvN#10

David M Donnell

WAYNE ROONEY believes his record-breaking £30million transfer fee will ultimately turn out to be a bargain for Manchester United.

Rooney's move from Everton to United made him the most expensive teenager in world football and the cocky 19-year-old England star is convinced he will prove a real snip.

"Obviously it's a lot of money and it's a lot of money for a player to be sold for," said Rooney.

"But I feel I'm capable of fulfilling my potential and hopefully in time it'll turn out to be a bargain for United. I just want to do the best I can and for the club to do the best they can."

Rooney's progress has been slow since he made an emphatic start to his United career with a spectacular hat-trick on his debut in the 6-2 win over Fenerbahce.

Since then he has scored just three Premiership goals and endured a torrid night with England in Spain when he was substituted fear he would be sent off. Rooney admitted he is still finding his way back to full fitness following his enforced 96-day lay-off with a broken foot he suffered in England's Euro 2004 quarter-final with Portugal.

But he insisted he is getting better with every game and is likely to return to the United starting line-up for tomorrow's Premiership visit of Southampton.

"I've still got a bit more to prove on my fitness and obviously I've got a bit more to prove on my game as well," said Rooney.

And although United trail Premiership leaders Chelsea by nine points despite their recent revival, Rooney insisted only a fool would write off Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

"I don't think we've been out of the title race," said Rooney.

"Obviously there's a gap that will be difficult to make up, but we'll always be knocking on the door.

"And if Chelsea or Arsenal slip up, hopefully we can take our chances and shorten the gap.

"Some people may have written us off, but this club have proved so often you should never write them off.

"We've got a good squad of players and we're always going to be in the title race. Everyone is just hoping we can do well for the rest of the season."

mjdj

I fecking love this kid - Will be a United legend for sure!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
he has done well so far, always very dangerous, working hard, running all over the pitch, trying to create something, shooting, passing etc. brilliant player, in about 5 years we will see the endproduct, and thats one of the best players in the world! hope he doesnt suffer from the 2. season syndrome...

Red-Indian

Yes. I have a feeling he'll spend the rest of his footballing life at Old Trafford so it could turn out to be a bargain in the end. The talent is unquestionable now - starting from the moment when he broke Arsenal's boast to the incredible hattrick against Fener.

Its just upto Fergie now to harness that talent and turn him into the legend he promises to be. And there's no one in the world better at that than Fergie.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Progress has been slow?
He's been bloody great for us pretty much every game, and who gives a toss what he does in an England friendly?
I dunno who David M Donnell is, but he needs a kick up the arse for that line.
He's played 6 full games for us in the prem, scored 3 and assisted 1, which doesn't even look at the trouble he causes the opposition even when he isn't knocking them in. Been playing terrible, hasn't he?

very Ruud

Spam, Spam, Spam....
ROONEY, ROONEY, ROONEY, ROONEY, ROONEY, ROONEY, ROONEY...

I love the boy. :devil:

Gutsy

Good discussion is like a miniskirt. Short enough
Good 'ol Wayne the train. I have a feeling also that he will become a United Legend. I always wondered what if Gazza had joined us those years back (before he lost it completely), how different would things have been? Well now with Rooney we dont have to wonder, we can just sit back and watch! :keano:

RedPhil1957

Gutsy said:
Good 'ol Wayne the train. I have a feeling also that he will become a United Legend. I always wondered what if Gazza had joined us those years back (before he lost it completely), how different would things have been? Well now with Rooney we dont have to wonder, we can just sit back and watch! :keano:

Gazza would have been the best in the world if he had joined us seems to realise his mistake when asked what advice he would give to young players like Rooney his reply included "don't turn down United"

birdboy

Done well for us and the price is justified..............especially considering the fact he could be at the club for the next 15 years.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Put it another way...if we were offered 30million for him now would we take it? Maybe thats a better way to judge if he was worth it..

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
For me, he repaid his transfer fee in his first ever game for United.

I've never seen a debut as exhilerating as that..

When he joined United I ( because I'd seen him grow up at Everton and come through the ranks ) knew we'd got potentially the best player this country has had for a long long time. Many were sceptical, but I knew he'd be worth it in the long run..

Within 90 minutes of him first stepping out onto the pitch for United I think the whole United crowd began to see how good he was..

Personally, if United had paid £50 million for him, they'd still have got a bargain. Thats how good I think he is, and could be..

zing

Zingle balls
He's well off from justifying that price tag.

LizardKing

First Team Regular
I'm the crawling king snake and I rule my den.
For me, he repaid his transfer fee in his first ever game for United.

I've never seen a debut as exhilerating as that..

When he joined United I ( because I'd seen him grow up at Everton and come through the ranks ) knew we'd got potentially the best player this country has had for a long long time. Many were sceptical, but I knew he'd be worth it in the long run..

Within 90 minutes of him first stepping out onto the pitch for United I think the whole United crowd began to see how good he was..

Personally, if United had paid £50 million for him, they'd still have got a bargain. Thats how good I think he is, and could be..
What a debut, couldn't believe it.

I think he's justified it twice over, and he's only going to get better.

I think in 50 years time when I'm an old bloke, I'll be telling my kids that I've seen Rooney play and they'll give me the same response that I do when someone tells me they saw Best play.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back

I think in 50 years time when I'm an old bloke, I'll be telling my kids that I've seen Rooney play and they'll give me the same response that I do when someone tells me they saw Best play.
You know what, thats just what I was saying to my mate the other day.

Rooneys debut is one of those games that people, in years to come, will say "I was there"..

I would go so far as to say its one of my top 10 memorable moments at United.

pathfinder

mmmmh....Best !! feck me... There are legends... and there are fecking LEGENDS.. Best is the latter.
If Cantona had played well in europe he would have been a fecking LEGEND... how ever... it was not to be. Rooney is going the right way.. but has a feckin long way to go. And his injured foot is becoming a concern. (remember big Norm)"Norman Whiteside" for you newbies. However.. I really like Rooney, The guy has so much energy, he is amazing, for his age... and is United quality through and through. I hope I can talk to my kids about him.. how I remembered Best and the rest. Including Robson !!! Its just ...my youngest son is already wearing the number 8 and Rooney on his back. I dont have to say much to him. He has found his idol already.
Now he wants the number 10 !!! costing me a fortune naturally. Kids !!!.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
He's well off from justifying that price tag.
Moron. Would you accept £30m for Wayne Rooney now? Would you accept the same amount of money that the scousers payed Athletico for Torres who is older and worse than Rooney? No...you wouldn't. Rooney has been consistently brilliant. He is England's and United's best player.

Bearded but no genius

How on earth can someone say Rooney isn't worth the price tag?

At times in the last three years he carried the team.

Even last season when he had a 'bad' season and took a back seat to Ronaldo as the star of the team he wracked up 23 goals.

An amazing player.