£315 million Beckham shirt sales for Madrid

GIT Z RED

Looking at the tommorows back pages in the sun on SSN it reports that since Beckham signed for them they have made £315 million on shirt sales alone. now that is some dosh:houllier::eek:

davisjw

Hence the reason LA Galaxy/ MLS has brought him over to the States!

He's more then a footballer, he's a international celebrity who brings money..

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
The local Madrid council probably gave them 315m and took a handful of Beckham shirts just to make it seem fair

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I just seen Skeletor on FSC doing a promo... I hate the slag, you know they're doing a 'reality show' about them when they get here? Sad (rich) twats.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
They made around 50million in Asia just after he signed for Madrid, before he even kicked a ball for them.

Bargain on their side.

izzydiggler

Doesn't tell the whole story...........

When he left Utd they said we'd lose so much money through shirt sales but people just got Ronaldo (or whoever) on the back instead. I'd imagine that Zidane and fat Ronaldo sold similar numbers as Madrid are such a hugely supported club.........I guess there are a few markets (possibly Asia) that would buy a shirt with Beckham on regardless of club but they probably cost 8p from the local market.............

Does anybody really think that Beckham leaving is going to set Madrid back £315 million?!?!

Salvation

Damnation
Doesn't tell the whole story...........

When he left Utd they said we'd lose so much money through shirt sales but people just got Ronaldo (or whoever) on the back instead. I'd imagine that Zidane and fat Ronaldo sold similar numbers as Madrid are such a hugely supported club.........I guess there are a few markets (possibly Asia) that would buy a shirt with Beckham on regardless of club but they probably cost 8p from the local market.............

Does anybody really think that Beckham leaving is going to set Madrid back £315 million?!?!
Ronaldo (both) aren't as huge as Beckham is. Maybe he (polemic) will be but certainly isn't now

The sum's grossly overquoted. £315m is half the debt that we currently owe, a third of the total value of United itself. A case could've been made on an overall basis, i.e shirt sales, sponsors, people coming to watch games for Beckham alone, public appearances, money yielded from their numerous tours, etc, etc

A majority of that amount went to the club previously, now it goes to his pockets at the US

izzydiggler

Ronaldo (both) aren't as huge as Beckham is. Maybe he (polemic) will be but certainly isn't now

The sum's grossly overquoted. £315m is half the debt that we currently owe, a third of the total value of United itself. A case could've been made on an overall basis, i.e shirt sales, sponsors, people coming to watch games for Beckham alone, public appearances, money yielded from their numerous tours, etc, etc

A majority of that amount went to the club previously, now it goes to his pockets at the US
What? My point was nothing to do with this............

izzydiggler

Ronaldo can't directly replace Beckham as a commercial footballer, unlike what you reckoned
My point was that the difference in sales between people buying shirts with Beckham on or "insert player" (I used Ronaldo as an example), is not £315 million.........if you disagree, fair enough.

Veron

Varun
I clearly says that since he joined them its increased to 315 million but its not all his shirt sales but the club's inrease in merchandise as a whole over 4 years, nothing big to it.

CapeTownRed

My jaw dropped when I saw that interview.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I never understood why Beckham became so popular. He wasn't better than Giggs or Scholes or Keane, nor Zidane, Figo, Raul, or Ronaldo. I would never have placed him in the top 10 players on the planet at any given time. He's always been hype over substance.

izzydiggler

I never understood why Beckham became so popular. He wasn't better than Giggs or Scholes or Keane, nor Zidane, Figo, Raul, or Ronaldo. I would never have placed him in the top 10 players on the planet at any given time. He's always been hype over substance.
I agree.

Very good player but not in the same league as a Zidane.......I guess all that whoring from "brand Beckham" paid off...........

JazzG

Resident Arse.
I never understood why Beckham became so popular. He wasn't better than Giggs or Scholes or Keane,
He was better than Scholes and Giggs from 1998-2000. There is no denying that at all. Anyone who says otherwise is just being bitter imo, overall in their career you can argue those two were better but during period he was only second to Keane at Man utd. You wouldn't of won your treble without Beckham in my view, the amount of goals he set up that season was incredible. Not just in the league but in Europe a rather large number of your goals came through him.

Your post is just bitter rather than anything else, he was a superb player but from around 2001 onwards he hasn't hit those same heights again.

WeasteDevil

Reading through these posts....

A) Madrid council don't have 315m quid to burn. All that shit some of you may remember of the council getting them out of the financial shit over the training ground, well, it's not that different to the deal City got with Maine Road, COMs and MCC is it?

B) I don't know what merchandising system Madrid have in place, maybe someone who does know could actually comment instead if speculating. If it's similar to the freedom they have with their TV deals however, they will be better off than United in this respect. Which leads me to...

C) United don't make anything off merchandising, Nike do, who pay a flat fee per year for the privilege. The deal probably needs significant upgrading after the current contract runs out.

RedPhil1957

Looking at the tommorows back pages in the sun on SSN it reports that since Beckham signed for them they have made £315 million on shirt sales alone. now that is some dosh:houllier::eek:

that equates to more than 10 million shirts :lol:

giveusafiver

I don't want to be promoted
Rubbish. Beckham was amazing at Utd. As good as Scholes & Giggs during his time here. Better than Raul, Figo and Fat Ronaldo.

Season 1998/1999 = best player in the world after Zidane. Fact.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6280032.stm

Says commercial activities and merchandising so not just shirts. There is shirt sales, other Beckham merchandise and other money spinning tours they went on where Beckham was the main attraction, these things add up. I once remember reading adidas gave them incentives as well for signing Beckham and adding him to their club as he was at a Nike club before.

That figure could very well be true but with it being R.Madrid could be a load of bollocks as well.

odinnh

and they let him go.

idiots

kietotheworld

There is no fact to being the best player in the world, it is all opinion.

Just because someone buys a shirt with "Beckham" on the back, doesn't mean they wouldn't have bought a shirt anyway...unless the £315 comes from the extra letters in "Beckham" as opposed to "Zidane" or "Figo."

WeasteDevil

There is no fact to being the best player in the world, it is all opinion.

Just because someone buys a shirt with "Beckham" on the back, doesn't mean they wouldn't have bought a shirt anyway...unless the £315 comes from the extra letters in "Beckham" as opposed to "Zidane" or "Figo."
I've never had a United shirt with a player's name on the back, and was always under the impression that if you wanted a name on the back you went and had it put on. Could be wrong mind, as having the name of a player on the back of my shirt I have always found to be a preposterous idea. The Spanish clubs though sell them with the names on the back straight off the hangers.

roxyfella

Real Fly Ox
£315 million at say £40 a shirt means they sold 7,875,000 shirts.:eek: yeah of course they did.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
He was better than Scholes and Giggs from 1998-2000. There is no denying that at all. Anyone who says otherwise is just being bitter imo, overall in their career you can argue those two were better but during period he was only second to Keane at Man utd. You wouldn't of won your treble without Beckham in my view, the amount of goals he set up that season was incredible. Not just in the league but in Europe a rather large number of your goals came through him.

Your post is just bitter rather than anything else, he was a superb player but from around 2001 onwards he hasn't hit those same heights again.
I agree with this.

Giggs although better than Beckham on his day was never as consistent as him. While Scholes really came into his own when he started playing behind Ruud.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Rubbish. Beckham was amazing at Utd. As good as Scholes & Giggs during his time here. Better than Raul, Figo and Fat Ronaldo.

Season 1998/1999 = best player in the world after Zidane. Fact.
:lol: Less you forget Rivaldo.

I'd say Schmeichel and Stam were more important during the treble season. Beckham was important, no doubt, but second best player in the world you're having a laugh. Better than Figo...:lol: