£36 million front three, 55 goals.

SteveW

I'm 100% sold in we need to get Sancho and Grealish, but I would keep DDG. He's on a 350m/week and he has contract till 2022.

Who would you want for CB? I recently made a threat in the Newbie forum and I explained why I thought looming into the Inter 25 year old CB named Milan Skriniar might not be such a bad idea.
DDG is a liability. I love him but have accepted this. I thought so last summer and this season has just confirmed it. Ideally we can get him off the wage bill.

If not we still don't have to play him. De Gea on the bench will still cost the same amount in wages but at least he won't cost us ponts as well.

It's a sad situation because he's been such a hero to us but this happens in football. We don't owe him a place in the team just because he was good in the past. And he's not suddenly going to get it back after 2 and a half years. Chances are he wasn't going to be a great keeper in his 30s anyway. He's too based around superhuman reflexes. That doesn't last forever. He doesn't possess the characteristics of the great older keepers such as communication or command of his box. He doesn't even talk to his defenders during games.

Its pretty sad that his greatness came when we were shit. I think all of us would have loved to have seen him in a great Unites team. He was worthy of that. I think that's why so many are in a state of denial about how bad he's now become and just want him to be in a winning team for a while.

I have no idea which CB and I don't think it absolutely has to happen right now . But eventually I'd like us to have one with really pace as the perfect partner for Maguire. Lindelof is a good player too but we can certainly upgrade. Maguire, New CB, VL and ideally Axel and Mengi can round out the group. The others should be moved on. Who knows, maybe Axel or Mengi could grow into that pacey partner for Maguire. Mengi could surprise a lot of people.

SteveW

So just need a £100m winger, a replacement for one of the best keepers of the last decade, a top quality centre back, a DLP which are a dime a dozen and then one of the league’s most promising midfielders to play from the bench....

But I agree, we are close in terms of first team quality, but I still think we’re a little way off in terms of play. We’re becoming a bit Real Madrid like in that we’re assembling a great team, but will still rely on individual brilliance against top teams rather than dominating them through playing style. I’d like us to be able to go tow to tow with Liverpool and City rather than just hoping we can hit them on the counter.

Still, incredible improvement from recent years.
I think some people just don't want to admit that Ole and the coaches have us playing some quality football. We pass out from the back, play through teams and are becoming very potent in the final third. I reckon just enjoy it instead of trying to sound smart and second guessing things.

We do need more players because lads like Pereira and Lingard would bring any top team down a level. It is a squad game. No point I pretending otherwise. Ole signs good players. I trust him to spend wisely. As I said 3 or 4 more needed to be at the top level and few more from the academy. Over another couple of windows that seems like the type of investment you would expect at a big club not some sort of cash bonanza to cover for a managers deficiencies as you are (very gently) implying.

Gasolin

The only one that will be benched is Greenwood. Then, in 2 seasons time (maybe even less), we'd have to decide to sell one of Martial, Rashford or Greenwood, because each of them will want guaranteed playing time. As it happened with City and Sane.
4 starters for 3 positions? No we’re not selling anyone for sure. It’s the right number.

ruskyline

What they don't get is that, if we don't sign him....our competition would.
That's actually the worst reason to sign someone. If a player fits our team, great let's try to sign him. If he doesn't fit, then who cares if other teams buy him?
DDG is a liability. I love him but have accepted this. I thought so last summer and this season has just confirmed it. Ideally we can get him off the wage bill.

If not we still don't have to play him. De Gea on the bench will still cost the same amount in wages but at least he won't cost us ponts as well.

It's a sad situation because he's been such a hero to us but this happens in football. We don't owe him a place in the team just because he was good in the past. And he's not suddenly going to get it back after 2 and a half years. Chances are he wasn't going to be a great keeper in his 30s anyway. He's too based around superhuman reflexes. That doesn't last forever. He doesn't possess the characteristics of the great older keepers such as communication or command of his box. He doesn't even talk to his defenders during games.

Its pretty sad that his greatness came when we were shit. I think all of us would have loved to have seen him in a great Unites team. He was worthy of that. I think that's why so many are in a state of denial about how bad he's now become and just want him to be in a winning team for a while.

I have no idea which CB and I don't think it absolutely has to happen right now . But eventually I'd like us to have one with really pace as the perfect partner for Maguire. Lindelof is a good player too but we can certainly upgrade. Maguire, New CB, VL and ideally Axel and Mengi can round out the group. The others should be moved on. Who knows, maybe Axel or Mengi could grow into that pacey partner for Maguire. Mengi could surprise a lot of people.
Ok so in short, you're pretty much saying DDG is our Joe Heart right? Idk but that's a HUGE call to make. Is DDG THAT bad that he needs to be dropped? I know his last few games were not his best games, but I don't know, I feel we, the fans and Man Utd owe it to him to give him more time for all he has done for us. In addition, Henderson might just be too hyped up and he might not be as good as DDG.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Funny to think that Barcelona spent a fortune for their attack and it all comes to failure. Don't get me wrong, we had our failures as well with Sanchez and Lukaku, but Barcelona is on another level of epic failure.

I wonder how toxic it is in Barcelona fans community..
It's a problem when you go from a golden generation to trying to adjust though, United had the same.

When you get used to serial winning, every year trophies to looking like you forget how to play football and it seems pedestrian and boring, fans get annoyed.

Any great team has that hangover period after a big era of success.

meamth

It's a problem when you go from a golden generation to trying to adjust though, United had the same.

When you get used to serial winning, every year trophies to looking like you forget how to play football and it seems pedestrian and boring, fans get annoyed.

Any great team has that hangover period after a big era of success.
Probably the dilemma of maintaining Messi, so he needs players at his age to cater to his standards.

Real Madrid moved on with Ronaldo, and it seems like a good decision. I think Messi is the reason they spent so much on attack and keep failing at it.
They have to let Messi go.

ruskyline

Probably the dilemma of maintaining Messi, so he needs players at his age to cater to his standards.

Real Madrid moved on with Ronaldo, and it seems like a good decision. I think Messi is the reason they spent so much on attack and keep failing at it.
They have to let Messi go.
Hi Florentino Perez.

wolvored

This might sound bizarre as I dont watch any youth games only highlights, but as some have said on here we ought to try more of our youth before buying. Luckily Ole is the right coach/manager for this. Hopefully Mejbri is brought in next season as he looks the real deal as well. This season Greenwood has benefited from this and consequently the team. Saying that though if we get Sancho, who is a fantastic player and can cover multiple roles, so everyone can get game time and rest time up front. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood can all play the main striker, All can play LW and Sancho Greenwood RW.
The front 3 have a better record of goals scored than Liverpools front 3 this season. Doesnt that sound good?

SteveW

That's actually the worst reason to sign someone. If a player fits our team, great let's try to sign him. If he doesn't fit, then who cares if other teams buy him?

Ok so in short, you're pretty much saying DDG is our Joe Heart right? Idk but that's a HUGE call to make. Is DDG THAT bad that he needs to be dropped? I know his last few games were not his best games, but I don't know, I feel we, the fans and Man Utd owe it to him to give him more time for all he has done for us. In addition, Henderson might just be too hyped up and he might not be as good as DDG.
Yes. He is unfortunately. And we've been giving him time for 2 years to sort it out but there's no signs of it happening. If he didn't lose his mind last season we would still have finished 4th. And he's been no better this season. Leaving the numerous blunders aside he's now below the league average in saving shots according to xg. Shot stopping was his one great strength.

I get why people don't want to accept it. He was phenomenal for years. He seems like a really good guy too. But it's time to be realistic. How can he be bad for 2 and a half years and still be the answer going forward? What's the excuse now? Everyone said it was the contract playing on his mind. So we gave him a long deal on the best wages for any keeper in the world on the back of a horrible season. It was a huge unprecedented indulgence.

Another year of crap performances later and people still feel like we owe him something??? Like anybody he has to perform or should lose his place. We can't sacrifice future results because of a sense of gratitude.

As for Henderson I don't fully know if he'll be better. But he has been for 2 seasons now and is on the way up. So my expectation is that he will be. If not we will need to sign soneone. It's that simple.

Keefy18

I personally believe it's a much bigger gamble to spend insane amount of money on Sancho. We have a bad history with Borussia Dortmund players, Kagawa and Mkhitaryan never lived up to the expectations, though they had their odd moments of magic.

I personally think Greenwood can become a better player than Sancho as soon as next season. What has Sancho actually achieved to make him world class and cost so much money? Look at Barcelona and Dembele - I'm sure they regret being so hasty.
All transfers are gambles.

I'd love for it to work out that way, that Greenwood becomes a genuine world class one in a generation type of talent, all United supporters would. But its also a risk lumping that much pressure on him immediately next season.

Is James adequate enough cover for him when he needs a rest? He's bound to pick up knocks and will fatigue and need to sit out games. I like James and want him to do well also but I think its a huge risk having just Greenwood and James for the RW spot. That will not push us on to challenge Man City & Liverpool, it just won't.

Sancho and Greenwood however with support from James, yeah that looks and sounds far more convincing of having a RW / CF threat to challenge for a league title.

Keefy18

I agree about Chong. James would be expected to step up and improve though. And I'm saying all this while still wanting us to sign Sancho just thinking how Ole will rotate but I expect him not to care about playing time of the non-starters (with notable exception of Greenwood) and focus on results and competition for positions.
James would be expected alright, but what you expect and what you get are 2 different things.

I've my concerns that James will tbh.

Like I just said to Doomslayer, what sounds more likely to kick on and challenge City / Liverpool...

RW of Greenwood & James
RW of Sancho & Greenwood with some support from James.

I think the latter myself personally and it also adds another 25 goals to our front line, where I'm absolutely certain James won't.

Last edited:

Eire Red United

So what, we just displace Martial with Greenwood, after Tony having his best season at the club so far?

If we buy Sancho, one of the current front 3 becomes a squad player. Because there is no way in hell we are paying £100m+ for a 20 year old squad player, Sancho will have to be the first name on the team sheet, just like Maguire has been.
4 world class players (assuming all 4 develop as expected) is what we need for 3 positions. We play 50 plus games a season and there are always injuries and suspensions throughout the year, I’d rather we weren’t caught short again, plenty of games for all 4.

georgipep

James would be expected alright, but what you expect and what you get are 2 different things.

I've my concerns that James will tbh.

Like I just said to Doomslayer, what sounds more likely to kick on and challenge City / Liverpool...

RW of Greenwood & James
RW of Chong & Greenwood with some support from James.

I think the latter myself personally and it also adds another 25 goals to our front line, where I'm absolutely certain James won't.
Throw Leon Bailey's name in there with the speculations for Sancho. He is expected to leave Leverkuzen this "summer" for a sum around £25m. If we are looking for cover, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to spend 1/4 of the rumoured £100m needed for Sancho. I would still prefer Sancho, in my muppet dreamland reality, but if the club sees Greenwood as a started for next season, alongside Rashford and Martial, then spending the proverbial sh!t ton of money doesn't make a lot of sense.

Also, I imagine you meant "RW of Sancho & Greenwood..." in the second option you wrote above :)

Keefy18

Throw Leon Bailey's name in there with the speculations for Sancho. He is expected to leave Leverkuzen this "summer" for a sum around £25m. If we are looking for cover, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to spend 1/4 of the rumoured £100m needed for Sancho. I would still prefer Sancho, in my muppet dreamland reality, but if the club sees Greenwood as a started for next season, alongside Rashford and Martial, then spending the proverbial sh!t ton of money doesn't make a lot of sense.

Also, I imagine you meant "RW of Sancho & Greenwood..." in the second option you wrote above :)
Edited ;)

It's a risk alright. I'll be honest and say outside of Sancho and Ziyech (who is Chelsea bound) I'm not aware of too many quality right sided attackers that seem a realistic option.

It's a big call to make and perhaps Ole will want to spend money elsewhere? An engine room type CM or better yet a pacey CB to make up for Maguire's lack of it.

georgipep

Edited ;)

It's a risk alright. I'll be honest and say outside of Sancho and Ziyech (who is Chelsea bound) I'm not aware of too many quality right sided attackers that seem a realistic option.

It's a big call to make and perhaps Ole will want to spend money elsewhere? An engine room type CM or better yet a pacey CB to make up for Maguire's lack of it.
If it were my job and decision to make, I would probably go for a young(-ish) DM to emulate Matic, an attacking midfielder in the Grealish mould for competition and cover for Bruno, and a cheaper "bargain" type of RW to challenge James (like a Bailey for £25m).

If I were to provide names, probably Rice (£45m?), Grealish (£50?) and Bailey (£25m), so a £120m total which will probably be partially covered by outgoing transfers like Smalling, Sanchez (fingers crossed), Rojo and maybe Lingard? If we end up selling Jones too then we would definitely go for a new CB and if so, I would focus on Ake if Bournemouth are relegated.

And while I'm on the topic of relegated sides, maybe Cantwell and Buendia could be options for the AM and RW positions too. I quite like Buendia but am not a fan of Cantwell's theatrics

Keefy18

If it were my job and decision to make, I would probably go for a young(-ish) DM to emulate Matic, an attacking midfielder in the Grealish mould for competition and cover for Bruno, and a cheaper "bargain" type of RW to challenge James (like a Bailey for £25m).
Ah, now if your going to advocate for concerns over huge spend on Sancho then Grealish falls into this category as well. Grealish's spots are taken up in our squad already in that if he wants the central role he has Bruno and Pogba ahead of him. If he wants to drift out to the left then he has Rashford.

If we got Grealish for 35-40m with reasonable wages fair enough but I reckon Villa will want to off set their relegation and loss of PL funding with at least 60m plus add ons.

If I were to provide names, probably Rice (£45m?), Grealish (£50?) and Bailey (£25m), so a £120m total which will probably be partially covered by outgoing transfers like Smalling, Sanchez (fingers crossed), Rojo and maybe Lingard? If we end up selling Jones too then we would definitely go for a new CB and if so, I would focus on Ake if Bournemouth are relegated.
I wouldn't go near Rice myself, just don't see the hype at all in the kid. Ake I wanted last summer over Maguire but I can also see the reasoning as to why Harry was signed. Ake is a very good CB.

And while I'm on the topic of relegated sides, maybe Cantwell and Buendia could be options for the AM and RW positions too. I quite like Buendia but am not a fan of Cantwell's theatrics
Cantwell could be a very good signing alright, needs to put on some muscle just like Greenwood though. Ball of energy and had a great season with Norwich. I reckon we could get him a bit cheaper than Grealish and both carry out similar roles for their respective sides.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
How do you fit Sancho into the mix?
Whilst people say, oh just rotate, the problem is that none of them will like it. For instance, will Sancho accept it if he is a automatic first choice for Dortmund? Is Martial going to accept it at 24 now he seems to finally be settled into a position and has to try and break in the French team for the Euro's?

That essentially means Rashford or Greenwood would have to accept a rotation spot. Rashford is similar to Martial so I cannot see him being a fan of it and Greenwood will have teams from all over Europe (Germany) in particular telling him he will be an automatic starter.

I can't take anyone seriously that suggests we don't need Sancho and/or Grealish to add to the forward line. It's like they weren't fans of the team before Sir Alex's reign ended.
I blame FM and Youtube.

I personally believe it's a much bigger gamble to spend insane amount of money on Sancho. We have a bad history with Borussia Dortmund players, Kagawa and Mkhitaryan never lived up to the expectations, though they had their odd moments of magic.

I personally think Greenwood can become a better player than Sancho as soon as next season. What has Sancho actually achieved to make him world class and cost so much money? Look at Barcelona and Dembele - I'm sure they regret being so hasty.
Another point to remember is that Sancho that he only has two years left. At this point I see no reason to buy him this Summer when Utd need a CB2 more, while it could hamper the current 3's dynamic. For me the logical move is to allow the current three to develop, buy in the other areas that need sorting and then get Sancho next year when he will be much cheaper.

432JuanMata

The people saying we shouldn’t buy Sancho because we have Greenwood is mental we be one injury/suspension away from having Mata or Dan James playing. Just because we sign Sancho doesn’t mean Greenwood won’t see 30+ games

432JuanMata

Ok so you expect Rashford, Tony and Greenwood to start every game ? Martial missed a good few games this season so did Rashford should we go back to James Lingard or Mata.
Sign Sancho let them fight for 3 positions and get a back up striker. We might have a strong first 11 but we have a average squad after that.

SteveW

Yes. He is unfortunately. And we've been giving him time for 2 years to sort it out but there's no signs of it happening. If he didn't lose his mind last season we would still have finished 4th. And he's been no better this season. Leaving the numerous blunders aside he's now below the league average in saving shots according to xg. Shot stopping was his one great strength.

I get why people don't want to accept it. He was phenomenal for years. He seems like a really good guy too. But it's time to be realistic. How can he be bad for 2 and a half years and still be the answer going forward? What's the excuse now? Everyone said it was the contract playing on his mind. So we gave him a long deal on the best wages for any keeper in the world on the back of a horrible season. It was a huge unprecedented indulgence.

Another year of crap performances later and people still feel like we owe him something??? Like anybody he has to perform or should lose his place. We can't sacrifice future results because of a sense of gratitude.

As for Henderson I don't fully know if he'll be better. But he has been for 2 seasons now and is on the way up. So my expectation is that he will be. If not we will need to sign soneone. It's that simple.
@ruskyline

More of the same. This fecking sucks but he continues to cost us.