£40m deal for Ronaldo

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Now be warned, it is from The Sun, so make of it what you will.

CRISTIANO RONALDO is set to sign a new £40million deal with Manchester United.

He will become the highest-paid player in England on a massive £150,000 a week.

The Portuguese winger, 23, will put pen to paper on the five-year deal before Euro 2008.

Ronaldo’s current contract had four years to run but United want to stave off Real Madrid.

A United source said: “This will be the biggest contract in the club’s history. Given Ronaldo’s achievements over the past two years, it’s easy to understand why.

“There is no doubt he is the best player in the world and we want to make sure he is happy at United. There is only one place for him and that is Old Trafford.”

Boost for Alex Ferguson

Ronaldo, currently on £100,000 a week, is enjoying a sensational season. He has scored 37 goals for United in all competitions and is the hottest property in world football.

The news is a big boost for boss Alex Ferguson, whose troops face Arsenal in tomorrow’s title clash.

Real were plotting a massive bid for Ronaldo in the summer, while Barcelona and Inter Milan were also planning swoops.

Real technical director Pedja Mijatovic held a meeting with Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes to reiterate the club’s desire to capture the superstar.

But Mendes made it clear to Madrid that Ronaldo is set to stay at Old Trafford.

Ronaldo’s new deal will dwarf that of team-mate Wayne Rooney on £112,000 a week.

He leapfrogs the Chelsea quartet of Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko — both on £130,000 a week — and Frank Lampard and John Terry, who are on £120,000 a week.

But he has some way to go to match the biggest earners in world sport. Tiger Woods pulls in £50m a year, boxer Oscar de la Hoya earned £22m in 2007 and golfer Phil Mickelson was just behind on £21m.

David Beckham’s pay at LA Galaxy is about £16m a year — but he earns millions more in sponsorship deals.

Wes

makes you sick, reading that Lampard and Terry are on massive wages, doesn't it?

As for Ronaldo, well he needs to stay. Throw money at it i guess.

Yankee Red

SirRedDevilFan7
Gulf Coast.....Livin' Life, but the edited version
I'd sure hope they are doing something. Granted the money may seem a bit steep to some, but for the future of our team and keeping probably one of the world's best for the better part if not all his career, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I support it and any extension that'd keep he or any other of our key players at OT for a long time. I am very pleased with the team we currently have and any addition would just add to what is already a near perfect team.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Its okay we'll make 5K back everytime he uses his phone in training. Jobs a good un'

kikks

Its okay we'll make 5K back everytime he uses his phone in training. Jobs a good un'
We should get him an iPhone or something so that he's tempted to use it more often. In which case, if he uses it 10 times a week in training we're basically keeping him on the same wages for the price of a phone. Brilliant!

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
when I saw the thread title I thought we were selling him for £40m :lol:

those wages are crazy. But I guess it makes sense that that best player gets the best wages.

Jarmon

Sad to see that money is all...I rather see Ronaldo stay at 100k and staying here cuz he loves the club...but that is my dream

Alex

Sad to see that money is all...I rather see Ronaldo stay at 100k and staying here cuz he loves the club...but that is my dream
Get real say you did something really awesome at your job, and your competitors knew and certainly would offer you a higher salary, wouldnt you ask your club.emlployer to give you more if you wanted to stay

manux399

Everyone's dream I think. I can see Ronnie being here for sometime yet, why leave especially if we pay him his worth as the best player on this planet. I can see him eventually going to Real then finishing off back at Sporting as he seems to feel he owes them something for what they did for him day one. TBH I won't mind if by then he's helped us win a couple more ECL's and EPL titles..!

Possumfish

40m over 5 years, 8m a year, his goals have probably earnt the club that in prize money alone over the past two seasons, not even taking into account merchandising or any of the other ways he pulls in cash... So he is certainly worth 150k a week.

Considering that football is the most popular and lucrative sport on earth, to have the best footballer only earning a fifth of what the best golfer earns seems cheap to me...

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Sod it give him part ownership of the club....:drool:

VII

Sounds like a real bargain compared to the 4 from Chelsea!

IMO, I think Real has learn from the Becks experience that even if we sell Ronnie to them at £70-80 million and they pay him a wage of £150,000, they'll still be getting him for free ultimately. So based on this alone, it make sense to pay Ronnie as much as necessary for him to extend his contract every now and then.

This is not even considering what he brings to the team, just off the field stuffs on merchandise, branding, better sponsorship deals, ticket demands in tours etc.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Sounds like a real bargain compared to the 4 from Chelsea!

IMO, I think Real has learn from the Becks experience that even if we sell Ronnie to them at £70-80 million and they pay him a wage of £150,000, they'll still be getting him for free ultimately. So based on this alone, it make sense to pay Ronnie as much as necessary for him to extend his contract every now and then.

This is not even considering what he brings to the team, just off the field stuffs on merchandise, branding, better sponsorship deals, ticket demands in tours etc.
Hit the nail on the head.

Jacob

I don't get this, currently Ronaldo has 4 years left on his contract? Yet we wan't him to sign a 5-year-deal, does this mean we'll have him for another 8 years, or just the single extended year?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
the best player on the world scene since Maradona himself..
:houllier:
I don't get this, currently Ronaldo has 4 years left on his contract? Yet we wan't him to sign a 5-year-deal, does this mean we'll have him for another 8 years, or just the single extended year?
Most likely a restructuring of his financial package, not an extension.

It's not in Ronaldo's best interests to sign one of those long term contracts given the shorter ones give him/his agent all the aces and leverage.

He's still improving and will be offered a new deal when he takes his game up a notch.

ch7

For the first time during his career at United I really think Cristiano Ronaldo is content and happy enough to sign the deal and stay for many years.
Ronaldo, Jorge Mendes and the people at Gestifute are smart enough to realise that United is the best place for him due to the instability at Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Cal?

CR7 fan
150k actually sounds cheap when fat Frank gets 120k...

Church o Choccy

If I were Rooney or Rio and I found out he was earning that much I'd want to be earning not much less. Even the likes of Carrick, Evra, Tevez etc. have got to be looking at that figure and thinking "Well I'm worth 100k a week then"

Is this the beginning of a new pay structure?

John the Writer

It would just be for the 5 years. The improved contract would be the club's way or rewarding Ronaldo for his performances.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If I were Rooney or Rio and I found out he was earning that much I'd want to be earning not much less. Even the likes of Carrick, Evra, Tevez etc. have got to be looking at that figure and thinking "Well I'm worth 100k a week then"

Rio maybe. The rest: 'play and improve as he has, then we will talk' would be the club's blanket response, I should think. And rightly so.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

United check the players contracts all the time. They pay what they have to - a market rate set by value to the team, cost of replacement and how much the player can get by going elsewhere.

There may be some truth in the latest story, despite it being in The Sun. I've noticed a couple of times in recent weeks when SAF's comments have included remarks about Ron as an entertainer as well as a player. United know what they've got and they aren't going to lose him over money.

A couple of Spanish papers have done a follow-up story on the Real Madrid bid as well. Apparently Mijatovic came over to see Mendes last week at the Roma game and was told that Ron wants to stay at United. True/false - never can tell, but it sounds positive to me.