£40m for Ozil | Deal to Arsenal confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Does the signing of Ozil mean that Wenger have the funds and will start purchasing for the players he feels his team would need or is it a one time thingy and from then on it'll be classic transfers with cheap players ? It sure will be interesting what happens in the winter transfer window.
I hope we will see more of it. I think we will too as we definitely broke the mould with this purchase, and we did try to spend nearly as much on Suarez.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Does the signing of Ozil mean that Wenger have the funds and will start purchasing for the players he feels his team would need or is it a one time thingy and from then on it'll be classic transfers with cheap players ? It sure will be interesting what happens in the winter transfer window.
You'd hope so, Ozil is the second player we bid over £40mill for and I'd like to think we could of bought both, well we certainly could afford both. Like I mentioned before next summer it will hopefully put us in a stronger position to attract talent, I know Wenger is a fan of Bender and Reus, having a few German internationals in our squad might help us be a more attractive club than before to those two. Both I believe have buy out clauses so no need to get into negotiations but I might be getting ahead of myself here....

NM

You'd hope so, Ozil is the second player we bid over £40mill for and I'd like to think we could of bought both, well we certainly could afford both. Like I mentioned before next summer it will hopefully put us in a stronger position to attract talent, I know Wenger is a fan of Bender and Reus, having a few German internationals in our squad might help us be a more attractive club than before to those two. Both I believe have buy out clauses so no need to get into negotiations but I might be getting ahead of myself here....
No offense, but why would they leave Dortmund for Arsenal? Heck, I wouldn't leave Dortmund to go anywhere else at the moment. The only players who have, have failed so far. Kagawa hasn't been given a chance here, Sahin returned home, and its too soon to tell on Gotze

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Arsenal fans were much less annoying when it was all doom and gloom.

I agree with Glaston, in a way, Ozil plays in the posistion Arsenal needed to strengthen least. Whether the improvement he brings is enough to single handidly paper over all the cracks that the failure to strenghten at the back, at defensive midfield and upfront have left is far too early to be seen.
You hardly needed to strengthen your striker department last summer and look how that turned out. Great players lift squad morale and influence others to raise their games and do better. A top signing like Ozil would obviously do more good than harm to any team.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Arsene should have just gone full retard and bid the 30 million for Higuain. However, I don't know if Madrid would have been willing to sell you two top players this summer. Maybe if the Higuain deal went through, the Ozil transfer would have been off.

RedRover

You hardly needed to strengthen your striker department last summer and look how that turned out. Great players lift squad morale and influence other to raise their games and do better. A top signing like Ozil would obviously do more good than harm to any team.
An obvious statement. But what about the other areas they needed to stregthen?

They could have done some really good business this summer. A top Striker and a decent Keeper would have been a start.

Ozil is a good player - but I personally think a 30 goal a season striker would have done more good. Although, suddenly a lot of Arsenal fans think Giroud's purple patch suggests he's turned into RVP. I'm not convinced.

MoneyMay

Excellent signing for Arsenal, though the "pundits" at Sky clearly don't know much about him, which was evident from their use of the term "peak". He's not at his peak yet - he's been inconsistent for Real Madrid, but I'd put that down to the fact that the system isn't built around his strengths, whereas when he plays for Germany, he's the main man. What's going to be interesting is the positioning of Cazorla and Walcott (a very interesting theory was brought up by an Arsenal fan on Twitter). Will he still be used as an interior on the left? Or will Walcott be moved to the left, with Cazorla on the right? The reason for this question is because left-footed play makers tend to make passes (good or great) to the left more often, and with Walcott improving on his finishing. And when Podolski returns, maybe that will revamp his form a bit. Again, an excellent signing, and I don't blame him for leaving Real Madrid. The signing of Isco was the first step to him leaving, plus the connection with Bale didn't help. Off the ball, Real Madrid have changed tactically... Ronaldo moves centrally, while Isco covers the left. Ozil's defensive traits don't fit with their current system, but if I was a Real Madrid fan, I would have rather seen Khedira/Benzema leave than Ozil.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete

They could have done some really good business this summer. A top Striker and a decent Keeper would have been a start.

Ozil is a good player - but I personally think a 30 goal a season striker would have done more good. Although, suddenly a lot of Arsenal fans think Giroud's purple patch suggests he's turned into RVP. I'm not convinced.
Maybe but they were lacking in the creativity department last season and Ozil may have addressed that issue. Unless Cazorla was having an excellent game, they looked pretty starved of ideas. Giroud however is very good at making space for himself and running off the defender so I expect him to have a good season for them. But yes, they could have gone for another striker to add some much needed depth. I guess a rejuvenated Bendtner would have to do till January.

Shark

@NotShark
Benzema has been overrated for a very long time now. He's never lived up to expectations.

Annahnomoss

Obviously Wenger wanted to be ready with for a huge last minute signing. He wouldn't be ready if he already spent a lot of money on other players.

Also he will now be able to evaluate the team and make the correct transfers in January instead of the wrong ones right now.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
No offense, but why would they leave Dortmund for Arsenal? Heck, I wouldn't leave Dortmund to go anywhere else at the moment. The only players who have, have failed so far. Kagawa hasn't been given a chance here, Sahin returned home, and its too soon to tell on Gotze
Players want to play in this league, it has a lot stronger pull than the Germany league. As for why they want to leave, some for the money and some for another challenge.

As for Bender, should of made it more clear that I was referring to Lars Bender not Dortmund's Sven :)

Arsene should have just gone full retard and bid the 30 million for Higuain. However, I don't know if Madrid would have been willing to sell you two top players this summer. Maybe if the Higuain deal went through, the Ozil transfer would have been off.
I don't think they would of had any problem as long we paid up. Higuain went for £34.5mill, that is too much for him imo.

NM

Players want to play in this league, it has a lot stronger pull than the Germany league. As for why they want to leave, some for the money and some for another challenge.

As for Bender, should of made it more clear that I was referring to Lars Bender not Dortmund's Sven :)

Fair enough then. I'd be happy to see them here. I'm finally looking forward to watching Arsenal play with Ozil in the team.

RedRover

Obviously Wenger wanted to be ready with for a huge last minute signing. He wouldn't be ready if he already spent a lot of money on other players.

Also he will now be able to evaluate the team and make the correct transfers in January instead of the wrong ones right now.
When half the season is gone? They might be miles off by then.

Wenger is the highest paid manager in the league, and like all of the other managers around teh world has had all summer to asses what he needs. It's especially baffling given that the issues they have are obvious and have been for the last couple of seasons.

To me they're papering over the cracks - Wenger has finally shown he's prepared to spend big and be ambitions (years too late for a lot of fans I think) but persists to ignore whats glaringly obvious if he wants to really seriously challenge for a league title: His team lacks a spine - the type he had when he took over and with the invincibles - teams with a bit of steel, a few tough tackling players and who mixed it up a bit in the same way that most succesful English sides do.

He's stubborn and determined to prove he knows best and can be succesful playing a certian way and ignoring parts of what made his teams succesful before when the likes of Adams, Campbell, Petit, Vieira were top class. Maybe he does and they'll win the league although I'd be very surprised.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Glaston, I know you don't mind betting on here, so I'd happily make a bet saying United finish above Spurs this season. What do you say?
I'm up for that. What stake do you suggest? Could be money, could be something else ... your choice.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
United finish above Spurs - you leave this site and never return.
But if I lost then that would be one less person for whom you could fabricate words and invent false quotes ... and I wouldn't want to see your life's meaning and purpose diminish.

Anyhow, the proposed bet is with Top.

Annahnomoss

When half the season is gone? They might be miles off by then.

Wenger is the highest paid manager in the league, and like all of the other managers around teh world has had all summer to asses what he needs. It's especially baffling given that the issues they have are obvious and have been for the last couple of seasons.

To me they're papering over the cracks - Wenger has finally shown he's prepared to spend big and be ambitions (years too late for a lot of fans I think) but persists to ignore whats glaringly obvious if he wants to really seriously challenge for a league title: His team lacks a spine - the type he had when he took over and with the invincibles - teams with a bit of steel, a few tough tackling players and who mixed it up a bit in the same way that most succesful English sides do.

He's stubborn and determined to prove he knows best and can be succesful playing a certian way and ignoring parts of what made his teams succesful before when the likes of Adams, Campbell, Petit, Vieira were top class. Maybe he does and they'll win the league although I'd be very surprised.

When was the list time Arsenal made a world-class signing? Never?

Before the summer nobody would have thought an absolute world-class player would have ever went to Arsenal over all the other clubs available in the world - now one has and another one almost went(Suarez).

Sure they have a long road left until they are anywhere near flawless, but that is not odd coming from a club that has a transfer record(Pre-Özil) of what United spent on Phil Jones/Ashley Young. So it is not odd that their squad has flaws.

I don't think you see the importance Özil has on Wengers future world-class signings. He will now have a much easier time getting any because he already got the first. It also shows that the club wants to be one of the best clubs in the world and I think a lot of people believe strongly in that intention right now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
But if I lost then that would be one less person for whom you could fabricate words and invent false quotes ... and I wouldn't want to see your life's meaning and purpose diminish.

Anyhow, the proposed bet is with Top.
:wenger: Yeah, right.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
This is the real Glaston, it's like he had that deluded opinion of his club but kept it for himself for so long that it had to come out at some point.
He gives every Spurs fans a bad name, what a clown.
Deluded to think that Spurs will finish in 3rd place? We finished just 6 points behind 2nd place last season, so no reason there to think that 3rd place is Mount Everest.

United fans will (and have) come out with a lot of bravado about this season ("we're the reigning champions" etc), but secretly a lot of 'em are fearing the worst under Gollum.

twitter thread suggester
I'm up for that. What stake do you suggest? Could be money, could be something else ... your choice.
Money is fine by me, buddy.
The fee is up to you - it could match your highest wager on here, if you like.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Deluded to think that Spurs will finish in 3rd place? We finished just 6 points behind 2nd place last season, so no reason there to think that 3rd place is Mount Everest.

United fans will (and have) come out with a lot of bravado about this season ("we're the reigning champions" etc), but secretly a lot of 'em are fearing the worst under Gollum.
The worst under Gollum will still finish ahead of Spurs. Come down of high horse Glaston, be a gentle Spurs fan and not a cocky one.

NM

Guys there's no fun with Glaston. If he loses, he just disappears, or creates a thread in the mod forum asking how to edit a post. At least Pete sticks around to get hammered when he is inevitably proved wrong.

Sarni

The worst under Gollum will still finish ahead of Spurs. Come down of high horse Glaston, be a gentle Spurs fan and not a cocky one.
:nono: every season is a blank sheet just like the last one was and we were supposed to struggle for top 4 then too.

Sarni

Guys there's no fun with Glaston. If he loses, he just disappears, or creates a thread in the mod forum asking how to edit a post. At least Pete sticks around to get hammered when he is inevitably proved wrong.
Exactly, he's been proven wrong so many times yet he always backtracks on what he said or, as you said, disappears. He had them down as title challengers before in 2011 and never admitted being completely off in his predictions after they'd missed out on Champions League yet again.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I actually rate Ozil above Bale, yeh even though they are different types of players. 40m is a steal.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Money is fine by me, buddy.
The fee is up to you - it could match your highest wager on here, if you like.
I can't remember what the highest wager was - £50 maybe? So let's go with that. OK?

RedRover

When was the list time Arsenal made a world-class signing? Never?

Before the summer nobody would have thought an absolute world-class player would have ever went to Arsenal over all the other clubs available in the world - now one has and another one almost went(Suarez).

Sure they have a long road left until they are anywhere near flawless, but that is not odd coming from a club that has a transfer record(Pre-Özil) of what United spent on Phil Jones/Ashley Young. So it is not odd that their squad has flaws.

I don't think you see the importance Özil has on Wengers future world-class signings. He will now have a much easier time getting any because he already got the first. It also shows that the club wants to be one of the best clubs in the world and I think a lot of people believe strongly in that intention right now.
Surely the question is whether they're better relatively speaking than the teams around them. Spurs have improved significantly, as have Liverpool, Chelsea and (maybe) City, where United have probably stayed the same. They are, for me, probably a better side than Spurs and Liverpool - but not the other three - the net result being that they're probably about where they were last year.

The fans want top players for one reason - to help them win things. I dont see that they're much, if any, closer to winning the league with Ozil than they were last year because of the improvements the sides around them have made.

This may be a new dawn for Arsenal, and they may go on to sign more world class players. Or this might purely be intended to appease the fans rather than actually mark any change in how he likes to do things - and still being happy with finishing 4th.

If he was serious about spending big and really challenging for the title he could have had Begovic (the best keeper in the league for me) Higuain, Ozil and maybe even Rooney or Suarez. That would have been a real statement, and would have given them a real chance of winning the league.

You're right that no squad is flawless - but when you have issues (esepcially in goal and upfront) you plug those gaps as soon as possible because that will cost you points. Wenger hasnt done that in my opinion - despite seemingly knowng that its an issue - hence the pursuit of Cesar and Suarez and Higuain.

The big question - if Arsenal finish 4th again, or even 3rd will the fans be happy? I suspect not, regardless of the signing of a top player in the summer.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Why is it "cocky" to predict 3rd place for Spurs?

My view is that the Spurs squad is overall stronger than last season (when we gained 72 points), that three of last season's top 4 clubs have new managers, and that United in particular - without Fergie and following a disjointed transfer window - will drop-off considerably. It's hardly an unreasonable point of view, whether or not you agree with it.

Methinks that maybe you're the one that's in greater need of coming down from your high horse.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Exactly, he's been proven wrong so many times yet he always backtracks on what he said or, as you said, disappears. He had them down as title challengers before in 2011 and never admitted being completely off in his predictions after they'd missed out on Champions League yet again.
More bollocks from you. At the start of any season prior to this I have never predicted anything higher than 4th for Spurs.

alastair

ignorant
The issue for Spurs is that whilst it is true that the top teams are all in a state of transition, they have rendered themselves the same by selling Bale and replacing him with so many different players that they're basically a new team to last season.

I have no idea about the final table. It's going to be about who gels the best.

kouroux

My view is that the Spurs squad is overall stronger than last season (when we gained 72 points), that three of last season's top 4 clubs have new managers, and that United in particular - without Fergie and following a disjointed transfer window - will drop-off considerably. It's a hardly an unreasonable point of view, whether or not you agree with it.

Methinks that maybe you're the one that's in greater need of coming down from your high horse.
My view is that Chelsea and City will not play as bad and as inconsistently as they did last season, Utd might or might not win the league but the squad alone is good enough for the third spot at worse. Spurs need to worry about Arsenal and Liverpool before looking ahead.

Sarni

My view is that the Spurs squad is overall stronger than last season (when we gained 72 points), that three of last season's top 4 clubs have new managers, and that United in particular - without Fergie and following a disjointed transfer window - will drop-off considerably. It's a hardly an unreasonable point of view, whether or not you agree with it.

Spurs fan telling fans of the club who won 5 out of last 7 titles to come down from their high horse, it's priceless.

kouroux

:nono: every season is a blank sheet just like the last one was and we were supposed to struggle for top 4 then too.
Other Spurs I know feel confident but not nearly as arrogantly as Glaston. A lot of them wonder if their team will struggle for those goals Bale provided.

Sarni

More bollocks from you. At the start of any season prior to this I have never predicted anything higher than 4th for Spurs.
You said you were in the title battle around January/February 2011 when you were within 7 points off top.

alastair

ignorant
Other Spurs I know feel confident but not nearly as arrogantly as Glaston. A lot of them wonder if their team will struggle for those goals Bale provided.

:lol: They haven't scored from open play yet.

In other news, does anyone know much about Soldado? Because I've seen him three times now, and admittedly he needs to adjust, but he seems to really like the ball played to him as opposed to going to get it. Against Arsenal, he must have covered about 1km all game.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You said you were in the title battle around January/February 2011 when you were within 7 points off top.
First of all that's mid-season, not a prediction made at the start. And secondly, I didn't in any case predict that we'd win the title ... at best I probably said (and at that stage of the season) that we might have an outside chance.

It would be a lot more interesting if you didn't weaken your own credibility by endless fabrication.

And in any case, hundreds of posters make hundreds of predictions on here every week, and most of them end up being wrong. For example, I seem to recall that Peter Storey has predicted Arsenal for the title in the majority of the last 4 or 5 seasons.

A suggestion for you: find someone else to obsess about.

Status
Not open for further replies.