£5 million bid for Van Nistelrooy rejected

Member 5225

Manchester United have rejected a £5 million offer for Ruud Van Nistelrooy from his former club PSV Eindoven.

According to reports in today's Sun newspaper United rejected the bid because they are holding out for £8 million.

Tottenham Hotspur have also been linked with a move for the player that would see him link up with fellow countryman Martin Jol at White Hart Lane

http://www.all3points.co.uk/cat/manutd/van050506.php

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Hmmm, those are strange prices for someone who was 'better than Owen' not so long ago. Its not as though he's at the end of his contract or anything. :confused:

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Dumpstar said:
Hmmm, those are strange prices for someone who was 'better than Owen' not so long ago. Its not as though he's at the end of his contract or anything. :confused:
He's still better then Owen, cock jockey

nickm

Age is a factor with Ruud, which it isn't with Drogba/Owen.

But even so. £5m?!

River_Runs_Red

nickm said:

But even so. £5m?!
United holding out for 8M? Are they fecking joking? We paid 5 for Evra who is fecking disgracefully bad at the moment. Jesus. I would say 14-16M absolute minimum. He is a guaranteed 20-30 a yr goal scorer. So at age 28 that is 5M a year, + wages which is well worth it.

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
nickm said:

But even so. £5m?!
Age? didnt Thurman go to Juventus at the age of 29-30 for 29 million pound , surely with the Glazers in charge United wont sell on the cheap again as they have so often done in the past.

Ixion

5 million is ridiculous, you'd think he hadn't scored a goal all season or something with an offer like that.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ruud worth as much as Morientes.

Ruud two times cheaper than Cisse.

Ruud cheaper than Crouch.

Anyone who sees it, can't believe it.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
A pundit who some of you might know by the name of Gabrielle Marcotti, said only a couple of months ago, that he couldn't see anyone offering more than a single digit figure sum [in terms of millions of pounds] for him.

Actually i'm being a bit generous there, i think he quoted a figure of around £3-5 million.

The primary reasons for this in his view being, the salary he would demand and the burden this would put on a club long term [£4-5 million a year in wages spread over up to 4 years i believe he said], and his age.

Although i personally see he predicted transfer fee as a bit on the skinny side, the factors that would create something in that direction are hardly non existent are they? We might be willing [more than even] to let him go, he might want to, and with the exception of Chelsea European football is not as rich or loose with its cash as it used to be.

Parks Life

Anyone know when he's contract expires.

As obviously if it was next summer (2007) I could understand the low transfer fee's being banded around. However if its 2008 or 2009 we could still demand a big fee - upwards of £12 million.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
United78 said:
5 million is a joke -- but did United say no to the offer or the amount?
According to article above, they rejected it because 5 million is too little and they want 8 million.

BillyIreland

Wow, let's throw in Rooney for a pack of Skips and Heinze for a cup of coffee while we're at it... we'll fleece the lot of them!!

heffa

Big cow?
Ern said:
Owen for 16M = Ruud for 28M or 30M at least
Drogba for 24M = Ruud for 60M at least

IMHO.
You honestly have no idea about age and how it effects value. Owen is as or more valuable as Ruud due to the fact he is alot younger.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
If this was the summer after we last won the league, then you could expect offers from the continent nearer to the high figures some people are suggesting, but that was 3 years ago.

The transfer market today, Europe wide, is a very a different place.

Ruud's not got many years left at highest level, and our as well as his performacnes have dipped in the intervenin years.

So, we either keep him, which i still believe to be more likely [selling Ruud is a last resort], or we're going to have to be a bit realistic in what kind of money we can expect for him.

All this Ruud business is distracting us away from our top priority which is the midfield.

Jiggs'Hamstring

but it's got to be a priority. of course the midfield has to be addressed, but if ruud's going he needs to be replaced. our major strength is the fact that rooney and ruud are the best strike-force in the league

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
If we sell him after the WC, we should be able to get 12-17 million for him easily. Either way, he's worth much more than 5 million, or the 8 million we're supposedly holding out for, especially with all the ridiculously large sums being paid these days.

Morcs

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid tag-line.
People need to set their standards a bit higher an
So we sell Ruud,

Saha gets injured (again), smith plays in midfield as we wont sign anyone, we are left with rooney and rossi :drool: and all over a sudden we are fecked - no cover for them.

And 8 million to show for what? :mad:

Veng

Suppose Ruud wanted to leave, and Carrick wanted to come ... would you entertain the idea of a straight swap?

Kleberson

Veng said:
Suppose Ruud wanted to leave, and Carrick wanted to come ... would you entertain the idea of a straight swap?
NO!! Ruud is a world class proven striker, Carrick good but needs to prove he can do it in europe and not just england

heffa

Big cow?
Veng said:
There is one point you are missing there, Ruud won't want to go to Tottenham.

Giggzinho

Punjabi dude
hes not going to go for more than 15 million IMHO, i wouldnt be surprised if it was only a seven figure sum

heffa

Big cow?
Giggzinho said:
hes not going to go for more than 15 million IMHO, i wouldnt be surprised if it was only a seven figure sum
I think that a very low 8 figure sum is what we would be looking for if we were going to sell Ruud.

Lmarco

Lyon are searching a top striker, we are interested in Diarra...Could be a possibility.

Red17

The thing about the PSV bid which puzzles me is how they are going to afford his wages? ANd I don't think Ruud will be willing to take a big pay cut for PSV for sentimental reasons.

ruudvantastic

I think we won't get as much for Ruud as we'd have hoped as it's hardly a secret that he's available. Same happened for Beckham - as soon as everyone knows United (or any other club) and player X have fallen out beyond reconciliation then player X becomes worth less - nothing to do with age or football ability but all about supply and demand. Can United afford to pay Ruud's wages for a year whilst a saleable assett rots in the reserves? It's business logic....

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
heffa said:
You honestly have no idea about age and how it effects value. Owen is as or more valuable as Ruud due to the fact he is alot younger.
Then you have to discount 8m based on Owen's inability to remain fit for more than 4 months.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Given his age and the fact that we obvioulsy want rid then I suspect that 10mill will be the most we can get. Especially given that nthe clubs who would pay the most for him (Chelsea and to a lesser extent Liverpool) wonlt be allowed to sign him except for ludicrous amounts of dosh.

If Chelsea stumped up 15/20/25 million then maybe. Other than that we won't sell a goal machine to a serious rival in PL.