£6.5million Skrtel passes Liverpool medical

December_16

Ahh, Benitez made an inspired signing, he decided to strengthen an already strong defence... maybe he should have considered a winger, a midfielder or an attacker instead though.
we said the same thing when Fergie signed Vidic and Evra, did we not?

I'll definitely give them a couple of months before pointing my fingers and lol-ing

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
He's pretty average but I believe since his move to Anfield he has now become the best defender in the world.

Count Duckula

He's pretty average but I believe since his move to Anfield he has now become the best defender in the world.
You follow the Russian league closely enough to determine how good he is? Unlikely, I must say.

We can't really start laughing at Liverpool for signing an unknown Eastern European centreback from Russia for not much money, because, um, we did the exact same thing. And it worked out amazingly for us.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
You follow the Russian league closely enough to determine how good he is? Unlikely, I must say.

We can't really start laughing at Liverpool for signing an unknown Eastern European centreback from Russia for not much money, because, um, we did the exact same thing. And it worked out amazingly for us.
I was joking.

Sauxees Moi Hui

For what it's worth, the traditional list of 33 best players of the Russian Premier League last year included the following defenders:

Right-Back:

1) Branislav Ivanovic (Lokomotiv)
2) Alexandr Anyukov (Zenit)
3) Vasiliy Berezutskiy (CSKA)

Center-Back (Right):

1) Sergey Ignashevich (CSKA)
2) Denis Kolodin (Dynamo)
3) Radoslav Kovac (Spartak)

Center-Back (Left):

1) Jan Durica (Saturn)
2) Martin Stranzl (Spartak)
3) Nicholas Lomberts (Zenit)

Left-Back:

1) Alexey Berezutskiy (CSKA)
2) Kim Dong Jin (Zenit)
3) Emir Spahic (Lokomotiv)

Not only did Skrtel not make the list - he was also the only member of Zenit's first-choice back line to not make it.

I also just checked the Zenit forums - the supporters are sad that he left and are talking about replacements. No hysterics regarding an irreplaceable player leaving, but they do bemoan the fact that they won't have him for their cup tie against Villareal.

Sauxees Moi Hui

The Berezutskiy boys were appalling in both games v England.
They're not particularly good, no. Someone in the Zenit forums called them the "Wooden Brothers."

On the other hand, they get the benefit of playing alongside Ignashevich, who is much better, and in a league that is not exactly world-class. This helps them out.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
So, Sauxees. What is the low-down? Is this Skittle fellow any good or what? How would you describe him as a player?

Sauxees Moi Hui

So, Sauxees. What is the low-down? Is this Skittle fellow any good or what? How would you describe him as a player?
I hardly ever watch Zenit, so I don't really know. I've seen him play maybe a handful of times, but I can't recall anything concrete about his performances.

karan316

They would do well to also pick up Arshavin while they are in negotiating with Zenit

of course, he wouldnt fit into their policy of buying mediocre players... and Dirk Kuyt

Alex

Liverpool are like Spurs in that they seem to neglect fixing their problems, mind they would have a great team if you could choose from both squads