£80m Ronaldo Bid accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.

B Cantona

Desperate
I've not seen it mentioned much...

£80million, staggering amount of money. Unconditional too, BUT... why if the reports are true, did we just flat accept it? Whenever we want a teams top player we have to go through all manner of shit to capture them, why don't we try it and get a few extra quid out of em?!

dave2528

So how much are Real paying in total over 6 years, including the initial transfer fee?

Because £600,000 a week is over £30m for that one year, added to the previous five years and the £80m transfer fee - that is an obscene amount of money for one player... And if they sign Kaka et al. onto salaries that are even close... They're going to be fecked financially in around 4 or so years

If by your figures he's paid £600,000 per week x 52 weeks x 6 years then £187,200,000 salary + £80,000,000 purchase fee from United = £267,200,000

I think we should have held out for more money honestly.

datura

All the other reports say four yearly installments - but if we get the full amount in one go that'd be fantastic, although I don't think it will happen like that.

Financial year started on the 6th of April. Or do you mean the European tax year?
Our accounting year end is the 30th of June. The 6th of April is the first day of the new fiscal year (for individuals) in the UK.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Cash up front (if that's accurate) lets you buy from clubs in financial trouble - Atletico and Valencia for example.
Yet Villa, Silva, Aguero, etc are still being quoted at astronomical numbers :houllier:

Honestly this money up-front doesn't make much difference... before the Ronaldo and Kaka deal, I figured we could get 3/4 premium players for 100 Million... now? we're lucky to get 1 and a good player to go with it.

B Cantona

Desperate
Yet Villa, Silva, Aguero, etc are still being quoted at astronomical numbers :houllier:

Honestly this money up-front doesn't make much difference... before the Ronaldo and Kaka deal, I figured we could get 3/4 premium players for 100 Million... now? we're lucky to get 1 and a good player to go with it.
A lot of it is press bollocks, or clubs playing for more cash, quoting figures when actually they'd take a lot less

It's all very well saying you'll only accept £50 million for your player. But then no one takes you up on that because it's too much, and you then have a player who's had his head turned is now unhappy at his own chairman for the way its been handled... suddenly £35 million looks pretty good you know?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think its fair to say we wont spend over that £80 million. Its a lot of money and as you say, people will take the piss with prices but thats enough to get in some players who will shortly become what we need. Maybe not the 100% finished articles of a Ribery + David Villa or something. But players we wouldnt be looking to replace in the first team in the next 2 seasons at least.

As you say there are no guarantees but if we buy the right players we can set us up in a fantastic position to challenge for our domestic league title and if we come up short next season, those same players and the youth players coming through should have improved, giving us a brilliant chance the next season.

If we dont spend any money we havent a hope this season. If it goes badly we could have a battle for automatic qualification for the champions league, which is obviously something which would affect our chances the next season too.

So we cant have that. We need to make sure we can come second at the very least and right now, we dont have a squad that suggests thats absolutely assured.
Do you actually believe that or are you just being a silly billy?

Amir

The 1st of July being the first day of the new financial year as well. Hopefully there'll be some developments on possible recruits my then too.
Yeah, it's the same thing every year. People expect something may happen on July 1st and all that. Nothing ever happens. We've agreed deals before that date in the past. In fact, we may well have agreed a deal already for Valencia. In terms of agreeing deals, it's a nothing date.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah, it's the same thing every year. People expect something may happen on July 1st and all that. Nothing ever happens. We've agreed deals before that date in the past. In fact, we may well have agreed a deal already for Valencia. In terms of agreeing deals, it's a nothing date.
I think we have only identified Valencia as a transfer target this year.

Ferguson may look at other players but he will not make a move until next year as prices are going to be inflated, negotiations are going to be tougher than ever and he probably has not set transfer targets specific enough to go after them this soon after Ronaldo's departure.

I will be surprised if we sign more than one player.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think we have only identified Valencia as a transfer target this year.
No chance. The club will have its feelers out all over the market.

If we don't sign anyone else, it will be because the market is fecked, not because we don't have identified targets.

Ekeke

Cash up front (if that's accurate) lets you buy from clubs in financial trouble - Atletico and Valencia for example.
Valencia dont need money right this minute. Doubt Atletico do either. There have been times when that was the case, but those times have come and gone.

Ekeke

Do you actually believe that or are you just being a silly billy?
We've just lost our top scorer and our goal scorer in half our matches against the big 4 and in the champions league knockout stages.

This side we have, it doesnt work without Ronaldo because of the way that we've built it. If we went into next season with the exact same squad we wouldnt score nearly as many goals as we did last season and last season was our lowest total for many years.

So of course if we had a bad season, we couldnt guarantee 2nd place as the "worst case scenario".

Amir

Ferguson may look at other players but he will not make a move until next year as prices are going to be inflated, negotiations are going to be tougher than ever and he probably has not set transfer targets specific enough to go after them this soon after Ronaldo's departure.
My feeling for a while has been that he's following Benzema and sees him as one of those players he simply has to try getting to United. Whether it happens remains to be seen, but I reckon he's been well identified and if he moves, we'll try to get involved.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
We've just lost our top scorer and our goal scorer in half our matches against the big 4 and in the champions league knockout stages.

This side we have, it doesnt work without Ronaldo because of the way that we've built it. If we went into next season with the exact same squad we wouldnt score nearly as many goals as we did last season and last season was our lowest total for many years.

So of course if we had a bad season, we couldnt guarantee 2nd place as the "worst case scenario".
Apologies. Drank far too much and shouldn't be posting. I read your original post as saying that we'd struggle to qualify for Europe (at all).

That's a fair point even if I do disagree with it.

I personally feel that certain individuals in our team will be able to play with a lot more freedom now that Ronaldo has left. Rooney will almost certainly score more. Berbatov too. I definitely think we need some quality adding out wide though.

Ekeke

Apologies. Drank far too much and shouldn't be posting. I read your original post as saying that we'd struggle to qualify for Europe (at all).

That's a fair point even if I do disagree with it.

I personally feel that certain individuals in our team will be able to play with a lot more freedom now that Ronaldo has left. Rooney will almost certainly score more. Berbatov too. I definitely think we need some quality adding out wide though.
I agree we'll see more goals from Berbatov and Rooney. But the most they've scored in a premiership season is 15 goals and 16 goals respectively. We're going to need a lot more than that just to make up Ronaldo's 18 league goals, let alone the fact he scored 6 "important goals" which is twice as many as any of our other players last season. So Berbatov and Rooney will have to help make up the goals, not just against mediocre opposition but against the best sides too and that makes the task obviously much harder.

We can also expect a few more goals from a few other outfield players and more goals from Macheda and Welbeck... But the problem is, its likely that only 2 of Berbatov, Rooney, Macheda and Welbeck will be on the pitch at any one time - so if Macheda and Welbeck are scoring a few goals, it probably means its at the expense of Berbatov or Rooney's time on the pitch. So having less time on the pitch than they could means they are less likely to match their best totals, if you see my point.

I personally think we're in dire need of adding a "clinical element" to our side before we do anything else. Someone we can count on to be in and around our top scorers next season and make the difference in every couple of tight matches. That doesnt have to be a striker, but obviously thats where theres the greatest pool of clinical players to choose from. Its hard to find a player that will be able to play two roles, one as a quality winger and one as the club's top scorer... As I said though, if this player was to be playing it would probably mean that one of Rooney and Berbatov would then be off the pitch. So you have to account for that.

The whole job of replacing Ronaldo is... Just impossible. For this season at least. The best we could hope for is something like signing Benzema and Ribery - who even together wouldnt provide what Ronaldo did. But in a couple of seasons, always improving as players, we could end up in a stronger position with those 2 players than the 1 we lost. Or - we could make "the next Ronaldo", which I truly believe is the idea with Ljajic. But of course it took a number of years to create the first Ronaldo and Ljajic will be a work in progress for many seasons too.

We're clearly going to be in a weaker position heading into next season no matter how you look at it. But if we invest the money from Ronaldo's sale into a couple of players, as long as they are the right players with the right characteristics, we can win the league and still give a decent account of ourselves in europe. Though I think we've kissed goodbye to our chances of winning the champions league again in the next season or two. After that our young stars might be ready to deliver on that stage.

Jaapster

Thats very true if we played with ten men every week but with 11 v 11 even without signing anyone we could still beat every team outside the top four ,but then again we had a shit record in that department this season so hey ho we may do better.

Jaapster

I agree we'll see more goals from Berbatov and Rooney. But the most they've scored in a premiership season is 15 goals and 16 goals respectively. We're going to need a lot more than that just to make up Ronaldo's 18 league goals, let alone the fact he scored 6 "important goals" which is twice as many as any of our other players last season. So Berbatov and Rooney will have to help make up the goals, not just against mediocre opposition but against the best sides too and that makes the task obviously much harder.

We can also expect a few more goals from a few other outfield players and more goals from Macheda and Welbeck... But the problem is, its likely that only 2 of Berbatov, Rooney, Macheda and Welbeck will be on the pitch at any one time - so if Macheda and Welbeck are scoring a few goals, it probably means its at the expense of Berbatov or Rooney's time on the pitch. So having less time on the pitch than they could means they are less likely to match their best totals, if you see my point.

I personally think we're in dire need of adding a "clinical element" to our side before we do anything else. Someone we can count on to be in and around our top scorers next season and make the difference in every couple of tight matches. That doesnt have to be a striker, but obviously thats where theres the greatest pool of clinical players to choose from. Its hard to find a player that will be able to play two roles, one as a quality winger and one as the club's top scorer... As I said though, if this player was to be playing it would probably mean that one of Rooney and Berbatov would then be off the pitch. So you have to account for that.

The whole job of replacing Ronaldo is... Just impossible. For this season at least. The best we could hope for is something like signing Benzema and Ribery - who even together wouldnt provide what Ronaldo did. But in a couple of seasons, always improving as players, we could end up in a stronger position with those 2 players than the 1 we lost. Or - we could make "the next Ronaldo", which I truly believe is the idea with Ljajic. But of course it took a number of years to create the first Ronaldo and Ljajic will be a work in progress for many seasons too.

We're clearly going to be in a weaker position heading into next season no matter how you look at it. But if we invest the money from Ronaldo's sale into a couple of players, as long as they are the right players with the right characteristics, we can win the league and still give a decent account of ourselves in europe. Though I think we've kissed goodbye to our chances of winning the champions league again in the next season or two. After that our young stars might be ready to deliver on that stage.

You clearly with your comments loved Ronaldo,we all DID! he was a great player but times change.I know someone that every week will be saying thank feck ronaldos gone,that will be our right back,for the great player Ronaldo was jesus he left gaps when he lost possesion of that you cannot dissagree.

Ekeke

Thats very true if we played with ten men every week but with 11 v 11 even without signing anyone we could still beat every team outside the top four ,but then again we had a shit record in that department this season so hey ho we may do better.
How, if we arent going to score enough goals?

We cant keep a clean sheet in every single game.

Ekeke

You clearly with your comments loved Ronaldo,we all DID! he was a great player but times change.I know someone that every week will be saying thank feck ronaldos gone,that will be our right back,for the great player Ronaldo was jesus he left gaps when he lost possesion of that you cannot dissagree.
Not defending as much as some others is perhaps one reason he's such an offensive threat.

Figo and Zidane didnt defend either. Nor Ronaldinho, Kaka, etc.

If he's going up and down the pitch all game with a fullback it stands to reason he wont have so much energy or as much oppertunity to hurt the opposition. When he's his team's top scorer, there's a lot of pressure for him to score and hurt teams as much as possible - no matter the cost.

mjs020294

If by your figures he's paid £600,000 per week x 52 weeks x 6 years then £187,200,000 salary + £80,000,000 purchase fee from United = £267,200,000
It is actually quite a bit less in the first year, and he gets a 25% rise each year. Something like this:

Year 1 195,000 10,140,000
Year 2 243,750 12,675,000
Year 3 304,688 15,843,750
Year 4 380,859 19,804,688
Year 5 476,074 24,755,859
Year 6 595,093 30,944,824
TOTAL = 114,164,121

Not bad when you consider its guaranteed. Even if he gets injured he still gets his contract paid out. Plus he will probably make at least double that off the field.

beardsleybob

I'm loving these reports of the cash being paid up front

Valencia, Atletico and Roma need cash. We need players

beardsleybob

Problem is the Glazers need CASH as well.
The Glazers have their business plan. Banks love that.

The three afformentioned clubs don't have the profits and success that we do so theyre many times more insecure than we are

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
Problem is the Glazers need CASH as well.
That's true, but they need a lot more than £80m, and the only way to make the kind of amounts that they need to service the debt is if we continue to be successful on the pitch.

And they will also know almost exactly how much Ronaldo was worth to the club in terms of increasing our revenue, which they will almost certainly want to make up for with one or more players. Whether that can come from players that are already at the club, or whether that will require new (potential) superstar arrivals, is open to interpretation.

I certainly don't want to sound like a supporter of the Glazer's — principally because I am not — but at the very least you can say that the amount of debt that we are in acts, and will continue to do so for some considerable time, as a motivation to improve pretty much every aspect of the club, both on and off the field.

mjs020294

The Glazers have their business plan. Banks love that.
The Glazer's business plan included a sell out stadium here in Tampa. The 60,000 on the waiting list has evaporated. They used to ask for a one year deposit, that as gone as well. Now they are paying for radio/TV adverts offering season tickets on a 12-month payment plan.

The Glazer's business was written on the back of a restaurant napkin.

mjs020294

He certainly was

But I honestly believe he's had his best season of his career. No topping 2007/08
Totally agree. And he was still pretty good but I think too much of our play was centered around him, we were becoming predictable.

B Cantona

Desperate
Totally agree. And he was still pretty good but I think too much of our play was centered around him, we were becoming predictable.
There may have been other factors, but when Fergie did have Ronaldo out wide as a more conventional winger, particularly earlier in the season, he didn't perform as you'd now expect of him. Towards the end of the season, we played more like last season where Ronaldo had more of a free role, spending more time up front, and he was very good again. But you're right, if it happens too long you get found out. And also to play that way usually means bunging Rooney out on the wing which is wasting another exceptional player in my eyes

It's a good move for everyone in the end I think. It's just a shame it's on a relatively sour note. He only has himself to blame for that, not that I suppose he cares, he got what he want, and I wouldn't think he's bothered which particular fans are chanting for him, just that some are

Alex

Yeah predictably the Premier League Champions and Champions League Finalists. Of course United will survive as the biggest club in England and probably will be favorites after their signings, but Ronaldo is the type of player you base your attack off of. Offensively he is one of the most complete players ever to play football, let alone play for United, I think it might have shackled Rooney but personally I think that was more down to not having a Saha type lead forward for much of the past three years, because whenever Saha played it seemed Rooney was awesome as well, and well Ronaldo was Ronaldo

BahamaRed

Legend
Given all the good reasons why we're well rid I've tried to reconcile myself to the fact that we'll carry on regardless......but I'd rather he was still with us and I'll miss him.

ALX8725

reyalP maeT htuoY
Take Me Home, United Road. To The Place I Belong,
"pretty good" ???:rolleyes: it's ok to admit he was one of the best in the world during the time he played for United. Sometimes it feels like posters are ashamed to recognize how great Ronaldo (the footballer, not Ronaldo the person) was during his time at Old Trafford and convince themselves that Ronaldo was just "pretty good" by downplaying his contributions and achievements. He was one of United's best, most talented, greatest players. And yes, we all know he was/is a cnut.

mjs020294

"pretty good" ???:rolleyes: it's ok to admit he was one of the best in the world during the time he played for United. Sometimes it feels like posters are ashamed to recognize how great Ronaldo (the footballer, not Ronaldo the person) was during his time at Old Trafford and convince themselves that Ronaldo was just "pretty good" by downplaying his contributions and achievements. He was one of United's best, most talented, greatest players. And yes, we all know he was/is a cnut.
You seriously need a lesson in reading comprehension cockcheese. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.