£9m Defoe shock: Sunderland bid for Tottenham star

OK enough.

Redcafe star:Man utd for life. a player from Somal
I apologize if this topic has been discussed.

Sunderland have made an audacious £9million bid for Tottenham and England striker Jermain Defoe.

The move is likely to spark a bidding war among Premiership clubs for the former West Ham star.

Defoe struggled to hold down a place in Martin Jol's side last season and the £16.5m arrival of Darren Bent from Charlton has put his position at the club in further doubt.

Portsmouth, Aston Villa and West Ham are also interested in the player and all three have funds available to trump Sunderland's offer.

Defoe, who has two years left on his Spurs contract, is not likely to be tempted by a move to Wearside, which would involve moving 300 miles from his London roots.

The 24-year-old has previously indicated his determination to stay at White Hart Lane and fight for his place although his club are willing to listen to offers.

Defoe's place in Steve McClaren's England squad may also be under threat if he is not playing regularly in the first team.

Spurs have an embarrassment of riches in attack with Bent and Defoe joined by Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane on the squad list for next season.

Egypt striker Mido is also still a Spurs player although he is almost certain to be sold this summer.

Sunderland's offer for Defoe shows the scale of the ambition at the Premiership newcomers. Manager Roy Keane has promised to bring in high-quality players.

davisjw

No I haven't seen this today, how interesting.

I guess after dropping out of the Nugent fair, Keano is now interested in Defoe? Best of luck to him trying to get him for 9. I'd love to see Sunderland succeed if only to see Keano in action in the Premier on proper terms.

RedRover

Defoe would be a good signing for Sunderland and a definate improvement on any striker they've had for years.

Think Keano has his work cut out attracting players like Defoe to the North east. He's from London and has played for two London clubs. Its like a goldfish bowl in the North east in comparison.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
no chance of this happening, even if spurs accept the bid i dont think the player would want to move to sunderland, it would be a major major step down in his career.

RedF7

Would be a good move for Sunderland, maybe a bad move for Defoe tho, dont think it will happen.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Defoe has been linked with United hundreds of times, maybe Keane will test him and eventually sell him to us, hopefully not though, he was never good enough.

EZee

or Forlan, plus he was linked with Solskjaer before
forlan has just signed for athletico...

and I half expected solskjear to go... untill the knee surgery... wouldnt pass any medical now so cant see him going (certainly not till xmas... and even though i dont think so)

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Sunderland is dead serious in mounting a challenge to at least the Uefa Cup spots. Its gonna be a tough Premiership
What? I think there are at least a dozen more teams to worry about next year other than Sunderland.
And what do you mean "at least the Uefa Cup spots".