£9m escape clause sends Owen to top of Fergie's shopping list?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
By Sam Wallace
09 May 2007

The Newcastle United striker Michael Owen will be the first target for Sir Alex Ferguson this summer with the new Premiership champions eager to take advantage of a clause in the player's contract that will make him one of the summer's best bargains. Owen should be available to leave St James' Park for around £9m.

Should a deal be struck, there is understood to be no major objections from the man himself about joining the oldest rivals of his first club Liverpool who passed up the chance to re-sign him in 2005 when he left Real Madrid. The 27-year-old found his old club outbid then by Newcastle but the clause in his contract means that he will be able to leave the north-east for much less than the £17m paid for him two years ago.

Manchester United have explored the possibility of signing Dimitar Berbatov but, having agreed a deal of up to £18.6m for Michael Carrick last year, have been told that on this occasion Tottenham Hotspur will attempt to price the Bulgarian international out the market. Owen fits the bill for Old Trafford in more than one way, he brings the guarantee of goals and he comes cheaper than usual for a former European footballer of the year.

The dispute between the Football Association and Newcastle over who pays Owen's wages following his World Cup injury has all but disclosed that the player is on £110,000-a-week which would put him among the top earners at Old Trafford. As usual, any reports of Owen leaving Newcastle where injury has prevented him playing more than 13 games in two years, are likely to be met with a firm riposte from St James Park but there is no question that Manchester United are interested.

The Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is yet to appoint a new manager since Glenn Roeder's departure and Owen's future is likely to play a significant role in that deal. However, regardless of the bad luck Newcastle may have had with Owen's metatarsal injury last year, and this season's cruciate, the original release clause was there for just this kind of move. It would not play well with the Newcastle public, but they might wish to question why such an agreement was brokered in the first place.

Ferguson has lacked a more traditional goalscoring poacher since the departure of Ruud van Nistelrooy last summer and, with the injuries to Louis Saha, there has not been a settled strike partner for

Wayne Rooney. Owen would also suit the high-tempo, pressing game that United have switched to over the last season in the absence of the Dutchman.

"Speed is important to us," Ferguson said. "The way we play we need that in the team. At the moment we are looking whether we can get more speed."

With deals also likely for Owen Hargreaves and Gareth Bale, Ferguson will certainly test the finances of the club under the Glazer ownership this summer.

In the meantime, he is expected to pick a strong United side to play at Stamford Bridge tonight as his champions attempt to be the first team to inflict Chelsea's first home Premiership defeat since Jose Mourinho took over. The Chelsea manager is expected to rest Didier Drogba.

United's Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo has recorded an appeal for the return of the missing English girl Madeleine McCann who was abducted while on a family holiday in the Algarve on Thursday.

Ronaldo filmed the appeal in English and Portuguese before travelling with the United squad to London for tonight's game at Stamford Bridge.

The appeal was made at the request of the British foreign office staff in Portugal who thought that his huge profile in his home country would draw attention to the hunt for the missing three-year-old.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2524383.ece

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
If he does go for £9m, imagine how the geordies would feel. He'd have cost roughly £1m per game.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Problem - our main front man spends half of each season injured

Solution - buy Michael Owen

Something about this idea doesn't quite work

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Problem - It's Michael Owen
Solution - Kill Michael Owen

Mainoldo

Problem is Owen isn't quick!! he also just stands up front all game pondering about service which he likes to point out everytime he doesn't score for England, good greef man he also admits himself he can't take players on anymore!! He is no use to us..:mad:

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
This could have shades of Laurent Blanc about it. A player Sir Alex has long admired but was unable to bring him to the club.

Much will depend on his pace or lackthereof, which we'd look to find out before we entered any serious negotiations. If he still has it, and his career could potentially be revived through us, for 9m or therabouts, yeah i can see us making a bid.

Be a right pain in the ass for Newcastle mind, losing Owen just after he regains fitness, and then they'll have to watch Martins jet off to the Africa Nations Cup in the middle of next season. Not brilliant that.

kanchelskis14

Cue Mozza with 'we need a target man' statement. Anyway, i don't like this twat much, but i can see Fergie going for him. I don't see us trying to buy many players from outside the Premiership anymore, or outside the country in Bale's case. Fergie's gone British/Premiership in recent years, would probably continue this summer.

Again, i'll be pissed if we spend £10m on fecking Gareth Bale.

yeaher

Problem - our main front man spends half of each season injured

Solution - buy Michael Owen

Something about this idea doesn't quite work
hey its the perfect solution if united can time it right they will have a top notch striker for each half of the season

odinnh

Problem is Owen isn't quick!! he also just stands up front all game pondering about service which he likes to point out everytime he doesn't score for England, good greef man he also admits himself he can't take players on anymore!! He is no use to us..:mad:

thats where sir alex ferguson comes in. and makes him a world class player :)

still berbatov>>>>>>>>>>owen

pert

Owen and Rooney playing for United and England :drool:

kanchelskis14

In a football manager PC game type way or a 'shit, I'm going to have to pay for this transfer in my season ticket' type way??
In every possible type of way, but more a case of the former if i had to pick. It's not even the price for me, it's the player, and the potential opportunity cost of his signing. He could inhibit our current kids like Evans and Pique who deserve a chance and are probably no less talented. And he could prevent us from signing a player we more urgently need due to his cost.

Keano1999

No thanks. He was always a one trick pony, pace, with no left foot and now he's lost his pace and is coming back from a knee injury.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
In about a day after SAF said we had 3 targets our top target is both Samuel Eto and Owen - two people, both somehow the top target. Something here isn't right. Wait I know - it's all tabloid BS.

marcus agrippa

Cue Mozza with 'we need a target man' statement. Anyway, i don't like this twat much, but i can see Fergie going for him. I don't see us trying to buy many players from outside the Premiership anymore, or outside the country in Bale's case. Fergie's gone British/Premiership in recent years, would probably continue this summer.
yeah, i'll bet.

where did Evra and Vidic come from, i wonder?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In about a day after SAF said we had 3 targets our top target is both Samuel Eto and Owen - two people, both somehow the top target. Something here isn't right. Wait I know - it's all tabloid BS.
His top target is in fact Berbatov/Eto/Owen/Hargreaves/Ronaldinho/Gattuso/Nani/Speed.

Transfer Spaculation

Cold_Boy

Just because Fergie said we need speed in the team, the fcking tabloids have gone mad with speculation.Now all the fast players in the world will be linked with us all the summer.

redwhiteblack

whether he's with us or not next season, Owen is gonna have a blast of new form i predict. he's put on a stone in muscle and just looks and seems like the two long injury lay offs have made him a lot more driven and physical. he's got a different air about him.

it wouldn't surprise me if Fergie got him and completely fine tuned his game.

but then again it wouldn't surprise me if it's a load of tabloid shite.

Ixion

Newcastle are stupid if they agreed to put a 9m clause in his contract after paying 17m for him.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Newcastle are stupid if they agreed to put a 9m clause in his contract after paying 17m for him.
Any other team on the planet but Newcastle and I would find it hard to believe.

But its Newcastle.

Dreaded

That's the worst rumour i've heard in a long time. The only reason we are thinking about getting a new striker is because Saha is so injury prone. And who are we going to sign owen! What a joke!

Skholesy

Owen, unfortunately, strikes me as a player who won't do well once he's lost that yard of pace. If you compare the great strikers of the prem (based on longevity), they've all at least had a few different assets, ie, no one great player relied on speed and finishing only, and that has contributed to them being able to still do well once they've lost a yard (mind you i'm not going to list pace as any of their assets since i'm comparing them to their later years or when they've lost that bit of speed):

RVN - Poacher's instinct, Heading, unstoppable volleys
Shearer - Long Range Shots, Strenght holding the ball up, Heading, finishing
Saha - Heading, Holding the ball up, Long range shots (not great but quite good).
Henry - Long range shots, assists, free kicks, finishing

Owen? - Without his speed, i reckon all he has is finishing, and thats not dynamic enough

My opinion is that players like Owen, when they've lost that yard of pace, just wont get you that much goals. So they key question is, because of his injuries, has he lost that searing pace?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
In every possible type of way, but more a case of the former if i had to pick. It's not even the price for me, it's the player, and the potential opportunity cost of his signing. He could inhibit our current kids like Evans and Pique who deserve a chance and are probably no less talented. And he could prevent us from signing a player we more urgently need due to his cost.
Gareth Bale could be the natural successor to Ryan Giggs. Similar style to Beckham, in that he can deliver an outstanding pass/cross without needing to get past a player.

Wouldn't hamper any chances for Evans or Pique either. If they are good enough, they will make it.