£9m escape clause sends Owen to top of Fergie's shopping list?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Just because Fergie said we need speed in the team, the fcking tabloids have gone mad with speculation.Now all the fast players in the world will be linked with us all the summer.
In actual fact, the Owen rumours have been gathering pace all season.

He is supposed to be physically stronger than ever before, and the rebuilt knee is perfect. Also heard that, on a personal level, he has rediscovered his passion for the game and is as hungry as ever.

Of all the strikers we've been linked with, I'd be most happiest if we signed Michael Owen. He'd be fantastic for us.

tbtt

WUM
If you really want to piss off geordies, Martins would be a better target. He is a lot faster than Owen too.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
IF there wasnt such a huge question mark over his fitness id say yes, the lad is clearly a goalscorer and would score them by the bucketload at United

Kinky Melinky

Problem - our main front man spends half of each season injured

Solution - buy Michael Owen

Something about this idea doesn't quite work
My sentiments to a tee. When I saw the feature in the Irish Indo I laughed. No quotes, all speculation.

Buying Michael Owen would be a perfect example of not addressing an issue.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
No he's a defender, a left back. He would be the natural successor to Evra and has a very similar style. He doesn't play much like Beckham at all.
I'm aware that he plays left-back for Southampton. I'm saying that he is young enough to be coached into playing a left-wing role.

From what I have seen of him (not loads, but some) he has the tools to perform as an attacking player. A lad that can deliver a ball like he can, at such a young age, should be in a position on the pitch where he can benefit his team most effectively.

Also, how many comfortable games do United get to play a second-choice left-back? Not many. IMO, Evra has pretty much bagged the left-back position, and Bale would need to play. We could give him games on the left-wing.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
By CHARLIE WYETT & TOM REILLY
May 11, 2007

MICHAEL OWEN turned his back on mounting problems at Newcastle with a day at the races — and walked straight into Alex Ferguson and his Manchester United side.

Toon chairman Freddy Shepherd has demanded a show of loyalty from England striker Owen.

He has just returned from a year out through injury and went to Chester racecourse to get away from rumours he is seeking a £9million summer move.

Owen — who yesterday won a call-up to the England B squad — relaxed by chatting on the phone to United star Wayne Rooney. They smiled and waved to each other despite being just yards apart.

Watching were United boss Ferguson, who wants to sign Owen, and Sam Allardyce, who will soon be fighting to keep him at Toon.

Allardyce takes over as Newcastle boss next week and his first task will be to sit down with Owen and thrash out the future.

Big Sam does not want Owen to leave but knows his hands will be tied if the player uses the £9m get-out clause in his contract.

Furious Shepherd says Owen owes the Toon Army at least one more season having played only 13 games since his £16m arrival from Real Madrid nearly two years ago.

United were linked with a bid for Owen last month and Fergie has shown an interest in the past.

But it is thought their priority this time is Samuel Eto’o of Barcelona or Spurs’ Dimitar Berbatov.

It is unlikely Jose Mourinho, Rafa Benitez or Arsene Wenger would step in to rescue him, leaving Owen an unpopular figure at St James’ Park.

Shepherd’s statement yesterday said: “The loyalty this club has shown him over the last two years when he had injury problems in his first season and has missed virtually all of this season, deserves something in return.

“I’m telling Michael he has two choices: He either comes out and tells our fans, who have taken him to their hearts, that he is happy here.

“Or I tell him that not one of the big four — Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool — are interested in him. Because that’s the case.”

Shepherd will unveil Allardyce as his new boss next week. The pair are due to meet over the weekend to sort out a deal.

Meanwhile, Manchester United’s winning streak continued as the team cleaned up at the races.

Defender Rio Ferdinand, 28, began the day with a winning £1,000 punt on 6-4 ON shot Maraahel.

Boss Ferguson, Gabriel Heinze and Wes Brown also backed the horse.

Owen is in England’s 20-strong squad for the B international against Albania at Burnley on May 25.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007210735,00.html

Ferguson

The only quote from Ferguson is where he tells us that he is looking for speed.

Michael Owen no longer has speed. We can do better and get a player that we actually want.

He scores goals, even at Real. He is a good footballer, but he would only come to us if it was for Alan Smith money. Smith was 6-7 million pounds, so 9 million pounds seems a bit steep.

Longsden_7

Just look at Ruud though, Owen has been seeing the same surgeon as him, Ruud was pretty much fecked before he joined us. Look at him now. Could be a turning point for Owen, know one knows, he either comes or doesnt, scored loads or flops.

Its better than spending over £15 Million for someone anyway.

DA2

Well ive been fairly sucessful in calling the shots on the strikers linked to us this summer so Im gonna go again.....

Owen - not a chance of coming. Such has been SAFs frustration with injury prone strikers (ahem cough ahem) that he wouldnt go near another striker with such a dubious injury record - let alone one on a reputed £100k a week!!

SAF wants reliable quality and will splash the cash if necessary to get it...... his last and possibly greatest team in his 20 year reign is almost complete, when it comes to this striker vacancy he wont be in the mood for taking expensive gambles.....

So says the all powerful Grand Wiz!!!! Lol!

:devil:

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Just look at Ruud though, Owen has been seeing the same surgeon as him, Ruud was pretty much fecked before he joined us. Look at him now. Could be a turning point for Owen, know one knows, he either comes or doesnt, scored loads or flops.
Its better than spending over £15 Million for someone anyway.
Ruud didn't have a catalogue of injuries when we signed him, he had only had one major injury in his whole career. Owen has always been troubled by his hamstrings ever since he burst into the scene, hasn't played 14 games for Newcastle signed he signed for them approximately two years ago.He is also the man who introduced Wayne Rooney to those gambling friends of his

B Cantona

Desperate
A lot of this Owen being constantly injured stuff is nonsense. He's picked up two freak injuries in the last two years, the second arguably a result of coming back too quickly and trying to protect the first. Before that he had the odd hamstring, but was largely fit the majority of the season. He supports Everton not Liverpool, he's a bloody good striker, Premiership proven, who'll score many goals at United, I'd snap him up for £9 million in an instant. £4 million plus Smith would just be a bonus!

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Gareth Bale could be the natural successor to Ryan Giggs. Similar style to Beckham, in that he can deliver an outstanding pass/cross without needing to get past a player.
Football in England has evolved since Beckham's hey-days, wide players nowadays have to be able to beat their markers and there is less of an emphasis on crossing the ball. And Bale just doesn't have the quality to be Giggs's successor

032Devil

If Saha and Owen can rotate their injury timings then there shouldn't be a problem.

Longsden_7

A lot of this Owen being constantly injured stuff is nonsense. He's picked up two freak injuries in the last two years, the second arguably a result of coming back too quickly and trying to protect the first. Before that he had the odd hamstring, but was largely fit the majority of the season. He supports Everton not Liverpool, he's a bloody good striker, Premiership proven, who'll score many goals at United, I'd snap him up for £9 million in an instant. £4 million plus Smith would just be a bonus!

yep here here

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Football in England has evolved since Beckham's hey-days, wide players nowadays have to be able to beat their markers and there is less of an emphasis on crossing the ball. And Bale just doesn't have the quality to be Giggs's successor
I keep hearing this football has evolved argument. Its a load of bollocks.

From twenty years ago, perhaps. From five years ago, don't be stupid.

Murphman

:lol: Don't be so fecking soft, his Dad played for Everton yet he signed for Liverpool, he hasn't been an Everton fan since he was 10 years old, you're just bullshitting to justify a former Kop heroe coming to OT.

I suppose Carra is still an Everton fan is he, Fowler? Mcmanaman? do O'Shea and OGS still support Liverpool?

kiddaa

why do we need injury prone owen, who would score 10 plus goal for us. we already have a fitter quicker Rossi. we need a tall striker, someone who can replace or act as a backup for saha.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
:lol: I still can´t believe that they would be that stupid to put such a clause in his contract.

But can you imagine Owen being magic hit for us and Torres complete failure for Liverpool...Both sets of fans would implode...:lol:

Spoony

The People's President
:lol: I still can´t believe that they would be that stupid to put such a clause in his contract.

But can you imagine Owen being magic hit for us and Torres complete failure for Liverpool...Both sets of fans would implode...:lol:

Apparently Owen could've signed for Liverpool this summer.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Apparently Owen could've signed for Liverpool this summer.
Done deal

Where is this user who claimed to have known Jamie Carragher himself? What was his username? Warrington?

Spoony

The People's President
Done deal

Where is this user who claimed to have known Jamie Carragher himself? What was his username? Warrington?
Apparently he was offered a contract, but he rejected the chance of returning.

Then again, I heard this on radio, so it could be bollocks.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
Well ive been fairly sucessful in calling the shots on the strikers linked to us this summer so Im gonna go again.....

Owen - not a chance of coming. Such has been SAFs frustration with injury prone strikers (ahem cough ahem) that he wouldnt go near another striker with such a dubious injury record - let alone one on a reputed £100k a week!!

SAF wants reliable quality and will splash the cash if necessary to get it...... his last and possibly greatest team in his 20 year reign is almost complete, when it comes to this striker vacancy he wont be in the mood for taking expensive gambles.....

So says the all powerful Grand Wiz!!!! Lol!

:devil:

Wrong. SAF rates Owen, his scoring record is great and he's proven quailty in the 18 yard box. Owens had 2 bad injuries, the only injury he was prone to at Liverpool was hamstrings, but that seems to have gone and we're more than used to those situations with Giggs who had similar problems early on. Again, the fact that Owen is a little slower these days has probably helped. We'd like Berbatov but Tottenham want too much. Bents arrival at Spurs makes me wonder about a departure but more likely Keane or Defoe. I think Owen is possibly 3rd choice out of...

1)Berbatov
2)Quagliarella
3)Owen

It seems any interest in Torres has gone also.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Would be a great signing, he would flourish in our set up playing with our players.

If fit you'd be looking at 25-30 goals a year.