¿If, not, Ten, Hag, Pochettino, or, Rangnick, then, whom?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Luis Enrique was not mentioned in thread title so him. Will get us play some lovely football

Hughie77

I've wanted Enrique since before they sacked Ole, and if he becomes available then it's him for me, even if Ralph does the interim till after the world cup. I can't see why they cannot get a deal done that he comes after the world cup and he gets some input on Transfers in the summer, as well.
Or UTD just wait for him, somehow I think there going to get Poch and I sincerely hope he's the right guy, we need to show him some love and we will get the best out of him like the Saints did

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It still amazes me the Galtier doesn't get a look in. His team's play some buccaneering stuff, they wiped the floor with Marseille the other day. His record speaks for itself though. People want to criticise Poch/Tuchel for not winning the league last season but they need to put some respect on this guy. He's a bit of a maverick looking guy too, bet the fans would love him. Looks like he takes shit of nobody.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m glad we seem to be selecting good candidates and aren’t rushing the appointment. Poch, Ten Hag and Enrique are all very strong options however I’d like to see Potter added to the shortlist although appreciate he’s a gamble and the club will likely want someone who has had a decent amount of exposure to European football.

Amorim is another.

ti vu

Hasenhüttl, Potter or somebody like that for a couple seasons even if they don't win nothing. Our Brendan Rodgers version before we can get an elite manager with the right philosophy in.

Someone with same philosophy to at least continue the progress Rangnick makes during his interim months. Rangnick should better be moved into counselor role to help with structuring, youth formation, recruitment, setting up loan move... Focusing on his best expertise would be more productive than he himself continue hand on with this team.

We don't want to compromise by bringing manager like Conte, Zidane, Mancini but having his own ideas that would decide to break down the progress and moving into yet another direction. If we want that, we wouldn't have got Rangnick as interim in the first place. So no Zidane, Conte type of manager now we're here.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If the 3 mentioned don't take the United managerial job then who would you like us to get?

Zidane is probably the best of the rest but doesn't appear to be interested

Rogers was linked to us heavily but I don't think he's good enough

Mancini is a dark horse but has the game passed him by?

Graham Potter is potentially the brightest English manager but is he ready to step up?

Ralph Hasenhüttl has done a good job at the saints and seems to be cut from the same cloth as Rangnick but like Potter is he ready for big time?
Me.

Ill do it for half the price and Ill always ask Redcafe about team selections and tactics

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Me.

Ill do it for half the price and Ill always ask Redcafe about team selections and tactics
Here's what the narrative device AI had to say

Tom Cato, Managing Director of Manchester United, had his work cut out for him. The club was struggling, and Cato had to find a way to turn things around. He began by cutting costs, and he made sure that the players were paid what they were worth. He also made sure that the club was promoting youth and giving players the opportunity to develop. In just three years, Cato had Manchester United back on top, and the club was even more successful than before.

tomaldinho1

It still amazes me the Galtier doesn't get a look in. His team's play some buccaneering stuff, they wiped the floor with Marseille the other day. His record speaks for itself though. People want to criticise Poch/Tuchel for not winning the league last season but they need to put some respect on this guy. He's a bit of a maverick looking guy too, bet the fans would love him. Looks like he takes shit of nobody.
I thought he'd come out and said he wasn't interested in managing in England? Also kind of like Girard, no one was really chasing him from memory after Montpellier.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Personally would love him at United, but I think he's angling for the France job after Nice. Don't really have anything to back that up, just a hunch.

OleGunnar20

Enrique / Potter / Hassenhutl - In that order for me.

Amorim seems to be doing great but it would be one hell of a leap at his young age / experience level, akin to AVB. I think an intermediate step would make more sense there.

MUFC OK

There is only Ten Hag. Perfect opportunity for us to appoint a top class manager, we shouldn’t be considering anyone else unless he says no.

Pintu

Throw whatever you can at Hansi Flick. Give him 5 years contract and as much power as he wants. One might have to wait until after the WC. But it would be worth it.

RoyH1

Luis Enrique for me.

Although I personally think City may target him rather than ETH in a situation where Guardiola leaves.
Yeah, I think he's the perfect successor for when Guardiola leaves. Many similar concepts and knows City's front office men really well.

K Stand Knut

I’ve just read on another thread that people don’t want Poch because he’ll be another puppet for the Glazers.

Fans of this football club need to get any idea that a manager is going to come and start speaking out publicly in a negative way about the owners and their employers out of their head. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!

No manager in their right mind is going to turn up at any club and start publicly bad mouthing their employers if things aren’t going to plan.

We should start to use the term puppet instead of manager because that’s what they are.

We should therefore just look for a puppet who is tactically good and knows how to set a team up with the players that he has and then aim to buy players that suit the style of play

SER19

Very hard to look beyond ten hag for me, and pochettino i can as easily imagine being a success as delivering more of the same. Rodgers stock has fallen massively this season.

People will think im mad but Emery would be a good bet I think, or a punt like Potter though i wouldn't want that.

SER19

I’ve just read on another thread that people don’t want Poch because he’ll be another puppet for the Glazers.

Fans of this football club need to get any idea that a manager is going to come and start speaking out publicly in a negative way about the owners and their employers out of their head. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!

No manager in their right mind is going to turn up at any club and start publicly bad mouthing their employers if things aren’t going to plan.

We should start to use the term puppet instead of manager because that’s what they are.

We should therefore just look for a puppet who is tactically good and knows how to set a team up with the players that he has and then aim to buy players that suit the style of play
I completely agree. Like the word 'fraud', the word 'puppet' has lost all meaning here. I actually hate seeing it

Superunknown

Ten Hag - the clear first choice. The one that we need to move us forward.
Pochettino
Rangnick
Potter

In that order.
After that, then I really don't care. If we were to not get one of those top two, it would show exactly where our ambitions lie and I would adjust my expectations accordingly.

MancBorg

No one fancy Ernesto Valverde?

Did well stylistically with Bilbao and was very good at Barca.

jackal&hyde

After Zidane, I'd say I have no interest in promising managers alone. Winning has to be a part of it, so Enrique. Being a good coach doesn't account for much in a super club like United if you can't also handle the extreme pressure and the super inflated egos that will always play for a club like ours.

kthanksbye

Mancini, Enrique, Zidane.
I think all of them have their strengths.
The former two have done very well with their national teams and Mancini has seen moderate success with his club career too.
But now that I'm thinking about it, Enrique requires a basic skillset and know how in the players he works with in order to make his system work. The Spanish players generally speaking are good at keeping possession, a philosophy they grew up learning. Not sure we're the best fit for him.

Zidane is going to command respect, I'm not one of those who undermines his achievement because he had a world class squad to at his disposal, but it does become a factor worth considering that some of those players were generational talents at their peak. Ronaldo, Modric, Ramos, especially.

That leaves us with Mancini, just last year he led an average Italian team to the become the European Champions, he's pragmatic, knows how to get the best out of what is available to him, which I think is a skillset that will come in handy if he were to manage us.

In conclusion, what I'm saying is, I'd take Mancini in a heartbeat, he'll probably even be available before next season if Italy don't qualify for the worldcup.

Now that I think of it, I'd take him over Poch and Ralf. Hard to judge ETH, could be the next Klopp or the next Villas Boas.

Edit - Traditionally, posts like these would end with me mentioning one of our ex players who has started his managerial career. Not anymore :(

RatPack

Roy Keane. If nothing else maybe he kick the shit out of all the spoiled players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Ten Hag
  2. Rangnick
  3. Enrique
  4. Mancini
  5. Pochettino
Given Zidane is a no, no point mentioning him and others in club jobs. I'd put it something like this. Flip flop between Enrique and Mancini, but both are likely not doable anyway. Normally would have them over Rangnick, but generally there is a risk when a manager comes in, so Ralf coming in and IMO showing good signs of progress and good plans and having an idea of what he would want pushes him up/eliminates risk. Ten Hag clear #1 due to potential level. Pochettino would be the most deflating appointment that would still be "ok" overall.

Teja

Shout out for Hansi Flick after the WC.

Also I don't know what baggage Gasperini carries because I don't watch a lot of the Italian league, but his Atalanta side have been fantastic.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There's enough good managers out there now who can do a good job at United depending that the foundation and philosophy is clear from the club.

The name and brand of the club can only attract so much, but the managers we've been linked with all, from the outside atleast, sound like smart individuals.

goalscholes

Ideally, I’d like a manager that has recently won a domestic league without having the strongest team, won the league as favourites, won a knockout competition or over performed in a major knockout competition, and has proven they can play attacking football and develop youth.

Nagelsmann would have been perfect. Flick would also be excellent.
Ten Hag very good
Poch quite good, but I’m worried about his ability to dominate weaker teams/ controlling players with a poor mentality
Potter hasn’t done enough for me, and still needs to prove he can win trophies.

Laurencio

Luis Enrique. If we can lure him away from Spain he'd be a great option. Great results, fun to watch football and when packed with enough quality looks grear in posession. We'd need a great DM who is good at passing though, so that would have to be the first transfer in the door.

At this point it should be between those three Pochettino, Ten Hag or Enrique. Ralf has been a good interim, but I really want to see one of those three at the helm come next season. We can't be seriously considering appointing a man who has been working as a DOF for the past decade as permanent manager...