Alvaro Fernandez image 74

Alvaro Fernandez Spain flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
That was a very strange game - Norwich should have won by 5 goals - they were that superior. But Fernandez had a really good game - but once again I fear he is better suited in a 3-5-2 as a wingback rather than in a 4-4-2 system

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Probably his worst game yesterday although it doesn't help that Preston are complete shite.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Why isn't he starting anymore?
He was rested in the last game, the manager said he didn't want to burn him out, which is totally correct.

Just seen he wasn't selected for tonight's game, so same principle, and why change a winning team. It's a long season, and Fernandez is only 19.

Last edited:

AltiUn

Was back in the line up again yesterday and played fairly well, had an important role in the 3rd goal. He was beaten far too easily for Blackburn's goal though.

AltiUn

I’d be recalling him personally, Preston are an absolute disaster at the moment.

AltiUn

Lost his place in the team of late but suspect he’ll end up back in the team as he was probably North End’s best player when he came on yesterday, Brady had an absolute horror show.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Lost his place in the team of late but suspect he’ll end up back in the team as he was probably North End’s best player when he came on yesterday, Brady had an absolute horror show.
This is from yesterday - MEN:

Preston North End manager Ryan Lowe has revealed that Manchester United are 'over the moon' with the progress Alvaro Fernandez is making during his loan spell at Deepdale.

The 19-year-old, who can operate as either a left-back or a wing-back, joined the Lilywhites on loan for the duration of the campaign back in July. He has made significant progress during his stint in Lancashire, racking up 27 appearances in all competitions.

After three Championship fixtures out of the starting XI, Fernandez, who made 23 appearances for United's Under-21s in the Premier League 2 last season, was recalled to the side for Wednesday evening's 1-1 draw with Luton Town at Deepdale. He started in the left wing-back role and stored a valuable 90 minutes under his belt.

During the contest, however, the Spaniard was forced to move inside and take up a central-midfield berth, following the sending-off of Ben Whiteman just five minutes into the start of the second half. He was not fazed by the positional switch, meaning he earned praise from boss Lowe, who confirmed that United are pleased with the progress he is making.

Lowe, speaking to Lancs Live, said: "He's a young kid, isn't he? In terms of the games he's played for us and the minutes he's played for us, I know Man United are absolutely over the moon with it.

"Because he is a good player, but he's still young, naïve and we still have to tactically tell him what to do and what not to do. Even at the end there, he's asking if he should jump or not.

"His awareness, defending, has got a lot better and it's a learning process for Alvaro. When he plays and performs the way he can, he's a very good player.

"The rotation we have, with him and Robbie [Brady] - we have a youngster who can be on the front foot and then a bit more experience defensively and offensively. So, it's a good battle between the two of them and we feel either can do the job required when picked."

---

Sounds pretty great.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Yeah happy to see him back in the side again. First season in first team football and with the amount of games they play in Championship, it's probably good that he got to take a bit of a breather. He was really strong especially going forward getting a couple of assists early on in the season, hope he learns more about positioning and other tactical aspects as Lowe mentioned.

criticalanalysis

Lazy comparison but is he basically a [Irrelevant point] regen?

Tall lanky, good dribbler and creative/tidy with the ball but not physically powerful or a strong defensive full back?

AltiUn

Been good again lately, didn't go on North End last night but the lads I usually go on with were raving about him.

Sea-Cow

Lazy comparison but is he basically a [Irrelevant point] regen?

Tall lanky, good dribbler and creative/tidy with the ball but not physically powerful or a strong defensive full back?
Hopefully a better driver though.

top1whoisman

Scout
Feck me. Robbie Brady keeping him out of the team.
Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Doing well as a 19-year old getting his first taste of first team football, fighting for his spot against a player with 60 international caps and 160 PL games under his belt. And as their gaffer said, keeping him out of the team at the moment.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Is he starting games for them still or mostly coming off the bench?

top1whoisman

Scout
Is he starting games for them still or mostly coming off the bench?
After coming off the bench in his first 5 matches, he's started 22 out of the 26 he's been involved in. Three matches as an unused sub. Started 2/3 cup matches. So very much a first choice LWB for Preston.

TwoSheds

After coming off the bench in his first 5 matches, he's started 22 out of the 26 he's been involved in. Three matches as an unused sub. Started 2/3 cup matches. So very much a first choice LWB for Preston.
Good news. Hope he's learning plenty, particularly about the defensive side of things at senior level. Would be great if he's at a level next year where, like Laird, he's ready to next gain experience as either a kosher full back, or maybe even in field somewhere (DM? CB in back 3?)

Nickosaur

Starts today and gets an assist as Preston go 3-0 up vs Blackpool.

TwoSheds

Lovely finish from the forward there.

AltiUn

Was really good again today.

L1nk

I hope we get a pretty penny for him. Either this summer or we bank on a successful PL loan?
Surely we don't sell him? I think he's good enough to play for us and is a player ETH would appreciate, but it is a concern that Luke Shaw is obviously only still 27, has signed a new contract and Malacia was also signed last summer and is only 23, so i'm not really sure what to do with this kid. I think he is quality though.

city-puma

Surely we don't sell him? I think he's good enough to play for us and is a player ETH would appreciate, but it is a concern that Luke Shaw is obviously only still 27, has signed a new contract and Malacia was also signed last summer and is only 23, so i'm not really sure what to do with this kid. I think he is quality though.
I think he has really high potential, but he needs at least another year playing competitive football in or above championship level, imo.

daba

Perhaps another year on loan and then we sell Malacia for a nice profit, with Alvaro stepping up as the rotational LB.

Malacia won’t want to play second fiddle for too long and we’ll probably be able to fetch 25-30m provided he has a decent enough season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think he has really high potential, but he needs at least another year playing competitive football in or above championship level, imo.
Agree. Another year on loan -- he's fantastic going forward. Love watching like surging runs.

But he will need to gain more experience defending. He's normally a wing-back at PNE. Not sure if ETH will be using wing-backs anytime soon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.