Álvaro Morata | Performances

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I don't know what's his problem. He has all the basic things in striker. Pace,good first touch, fantastic shot ,heading ability. But when under pressure he looked lost completely every basic thing.

If going gets tough he rarely overcome from it.The very good example of mentally fragile player who always want the comfort zone to perform very good level.
He does have it all, unfortunately for him he either has depression or some sort of confidence issue.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If you had the power to make your opponent start Werner or Morata… who‘d you pick?
Like this guy said.

Can't stand a striker who's just there standing like a statue, barely sweat the whole game. It's ok if he's on the class of Messi or Ronaldo though.
Morata by a mile. Werner contributes despite his finishing issues and his work-rate & attitude are top class - see the CL final when his decoy run created the space for Havertz to run into. Morata lets his head get down and he stops bothering to run in behind at the slightest setback.

Sylar

That miss is something you see from somebody on a huge drought

But he had just scored earlier in the game. Baffling attempt

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Morata is a lesson in how unfair life is. This man is a top level footballer despite being visibly awful in every way.
He's definitely not awful in every way otherwise he wouldn't be playing for big teams throughout his career. But he is someone who despite having loads of talent has no composure in the final third. So his entire career is built on his ability inspite of his quality at finishing moves rather than because of it, so there's a market for that too but in terms of a player not making use of his raw talent, Morata is up there.

cyberman

Typical Morata performance. Offside goals, bad misses, scores a goal and is subbed so impresses on the goals per minute stat.
Impressive.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
I thought he was actually very good for us last season. Even his finishing.
He will probably always be a confidence player with awful games and misses in him, but I'm still glad that he signed an extension with us.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Was encroaching in the D on rebound from penalty, so would have been ruled out anyway? Decent finish for the goal. I seem to remember him continually having onside goals ruled out for us.

He's a decent player, never been a really leathal finisher, got a very good all around game though and won loads of medals, even if as a rotation player for periods.

Compare him to Kane.... he's got medals in 3 different countries and despite all the criticism has had about the best career he could have hoped for given his ability. Mrs M is also absolutely stunning and seems to have a huge influence in his career moves. Hence back in Italy.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It an enigma of the modern game that he is an international - the enigma is the excellent movement for his goal vs the abysmal miss of an open goal

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

I've said it once, I'll say it again: Put David Villa in this Spain team and they're on six points right now. Morata simply isn't clinical enough.

He presses from the front, he works hard but he lacks the ruthless finishing this Spain team needs.

Siezard

He has tons of skills but not the finishing or the awareness of a striker. You will be much better off playing him as an attacking midfielder or maybe even a winger.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Still find it funny that RM fans here were justifying Flopper asking 75 Mil Euros for him off the back of scoring 15 goals in La Liga.

MrEleson

Still find it funny that RM fans here were justifying Flopper asking 75 Mil Euros for him off the back of scoring 15 goals in La Liga.
Tbf he scored those 15 league goals mostly from the bench as Benzema was undisputed #9. In general, he was just extremely efficient and impactful that season and seemed to be just entering his prime at 24/25 years old.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Tbf he scored those 15 league goals mostly from the bench as Benzema was undisputed #9. In general, he was just extremely efficient and impactful that season and seemed to be just entering his prime at 24/25 years old.
Agreed he was mostly an impact sub. But he played for a dominant team in the league, which is at a much higher level than all bar 2 other clubs in the league. They scored 100+ goals in the league, had a multiple talented creators in different areas of the pitch. Add to that, he'd just returned to his dream club and was extra motivated to make a mark there.
Combining all of these factors, there is nothing which screams a top forward who should be valued at 75 mil.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

I've said it once, I'll say it again: Put David Villa in this Spain team and they're on six points right now. Morata simply isn't clinical enough.

He presses from the front, he works hard but he lacks the ruthless finishing this Spain team needs.
We've been probably blinded by the recent impact of Spanish strikers like Villa and Torres. The general assumption is that a striker for Spain must be great.
Maybe, the Spanish strikers now are on the level of the time before Villa and Torres. So, back to normal for them.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We've been probably blinded by the recent impact of Spanish strikers like Villa and Torres. The general assumption is that a striker for Spain must be great.
Maybe, the Spanish strikers now are on the level of the time before Villa and Torres. So, back to normal for them.
I think Raul is much better than what they gave now

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
I think Raul is much better than what they gave now
Nah, I think that Raul does not come even close to Villa or Torres for Spain.
Raul, overall, was disappointing for Spain.

JJ12

I was referring to this.

Raul is miles ahead of what they currently have.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Raul scored 44 in about 100 matches for Spain, Torres scored 38 in 110 matches. Villa with 59 in 98 way ahead of both.
44 goals in 100 matches and zero titles.

Who was instrumental in winning a EC or WC for Spain?
The answer is: definitely not Raul. He did not even came close to helping his team doing anything of significance.

I don't care about individual stats. For me it is more important to look at indiviudal stats and understand what kind of impact it had on the team actually progressing in the tournament or even win something.

What was Raul's best effort with Spain? Quarter-final - wasn't it? Pathetic.

I was referring to this.

Raul is miles ahead of what they currently have.
Not really, Raul for the Spanish national team was simply a disappointment. Even missing decisive penalties.
You can not compare that to true winners like Villa and Torres.

JJ12

44 goals in 100 matches and zero titles.

Who was instrumental in winning a EC or WC for Spain?
The answer is: definitely not Raul. He did not even came close to helping his team doing anything of significance.

I don't care about individual stats. For me it is more important to look at indiviudal stats and understand what kind of impact it had on the team actually progressing in the tournament or even win something.

What was Raul's best effort with Spain? Quarter-final - wasn't it? Pathetic.

Not really, Raul for the Spanish national team was simply a disappointment. Even missing decisive penalties.
You can not compare that to true winners like Villa and Torres.
Why the feck do you keep saying Torres and Villa when I quoted what you are saying about current strikers.

Raul and Torres are comparable too.

I think Morata is the most average striker to start for Spain since before Raul and Morientes. I think you have to go back to Euro 1996 for a Spain team that had such an ordinary #9 leading the line.

With the chances Spain create I don't even think you need a Villa or Torres level striker. A solidly reliable goal poacher, who can just stick the toe on the end of the numerous cutbacks and balls into the box Spain do every match, would be enough. Something like a Spanish Jermain Defoe or Darren Bent.

Honestly, playing as a #9 for Spain must be one of the easiest jobs in football: You're never really expected to hold up the ball on your own, dribble defenders, bring others into play, do much back to goal work. Your team has 60,70,80% possession every game, you just wait in the box for chances. Yes, you have to press from the front but that's fairly common in today's football.

In such a team Morata's misses aren't really excusable.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
It's probably been mentioned in the thread before but for me, he is absolutely the new Higuain.

Good player over a season but you can't rely on him to do the business when the stakes are high.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I am not sure the torrent of abuse he is receiving will make him any better as a footballer? Toxic, toxic internet.

Stormpetrel

It's probably been mentioned in the thread before but for me, he is absolutely the new Higuain.

Good player over a season but you can't rely on him to do the business when the stakes are high.
Higuain was a much better goalscorer reaching 36 goals in a season in serie A. Morata is nowhere near him reaching 15 goals in la liga once

Oh. My. Days.

How many chances does he need to score?

He's like the anti Van Nistlerooy. If he was decent, not even world class but Danny Ings level, he'd have hat tricks in two or three games this Euros.

Utterly tripe. Cant believe how many chances he misses.

tomaldinho1

Typical Morata performance. Offside goals, bad misses, scores a goal and is subbed so impresses on the goals per minute stat.
Impressive.
Without knowing the stats, this is exactly how I see him. He leads the line for a team that creates a lot so will always have a decent enough goal ratio but the amount of bad decisions and generally erratic finishes seem abnormally high whenever I've watched him at club level or international. They could just stick someone like Rafa Mir up there from Wolves and I think they'd get the same goal return.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Superb performance from him today

Andersons Dietician

He’s so weird. Goes from the sublime to my gran would have scored that in the drop of a hat. Industrious, hard worker and clearly does a lot for the team but some of the chances he misses my word.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Its easy to see what he brings to the team, he misses few chances (well more than few) but he works hard, links up well and his movement is good.

roseguy64

Good to great footballer but average finisher. You'd only want him playing if the players around him are good at finishingg.