Ángel Di María | Transferred to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah but stats support that argument! If we were judging him by stats he'd have had a good season but it depends on what stats you value, it depends on what you mean by 'consistent', Chelsea last season were consistently clinical and that's why they were champions despite not showing consistency in their performance, if Angel di Maria has been consistently productive even if his performance hasn't been consistent then surely he could still be considered world class?

I know you said 'world class' is a nasty expression, I don't know exactly what people mean by it but I'd say Angel di Maria is one of the very best wingers in the world.
The problem is linked with our style of play, every player is an important cog in the team machinery, we can't allow a player to fail on the basics on a regular basis, Di Maria lacks consistency with the easy things, he can destroy your team play very easily but he will also create opportunities very regularly, if we are clinical and transform most of the chances created by Di Maria and/or if we managed to be a team that retake possession very easily then we can offset Di Maria's flaws and benefit from his huge qualities.
For the clinical part, I think that Depay and Rooney playing with him will fix that problem and for the retaking of the ball, Schneiderlin, if we sign him, will help a lot.
So I'm not for Di Maria's selling but I can see why a coach would choose to do without him, it's a bit like Mata with Mourinho sometimes quality players don't fit in the schemes.

Empire

The problem is linked with our style of play, every player is an important cog in the team machinery, we can't allow a player to fail on the basics on a regular basis, Di Maria lacks consistency with the easy things, he can destroy your team play very easily but he will also create opportunities very regularly, if we are clinical and transform most of the chances created by Di Maria and/or if we managed to be a team that retake possession very easily then we can offset Di Maria's flaws and benefit from his huge qualities.
For the clinical part, I think that Depay and Rooney playing with him will fix that problem and for the retaking of the ball, Schneiderlin, if we sign him, will help a lot.
So I'm not for Di Maria's selling but I can see why a coach would choose to do without him, it's a bit like Mata with Mourinho sometimes quality players don't fit in the schemes.
Yes I understand, if Angel di Maria wants to stay I'm happy because that means Louis van Gaal makes the decision on his future. From what NL Max said, Louis van Gaal expects most players to keep the ball but he wants to create space for his most attacking players and give them the responsibility of creating chances, he is a risky coach (Louis van Gaal has said this many times too) and the team will set up differently when a player like Depay or Angel di Maria have the ball because they are given creative freedom, the team know they might lose it and get hit on the counter so they prepare for it.

For that reason I think Louis van Gaal might like Angel di Maria.

The main problem with Angel di Maria isn't losing the ball but where he loses it, attacking the opposition goal is different to losing it on the half way line, if he is receptive to coaching from Louis van Gaal I also think this area of his game could improve enough to where it is satisfactory.

Will Absolute

Getting €60m for him this Summer would be great business actually. His stock must have fallen more than that during last year, he's a year older and instead of one of the best players in the league and CL he was one of the biggest disappointments last season.
At present exchange rates E60m is low, but I'd take £50m and swallow the loss. After a long run in the team last season, he wound up eventually being dropped. There's no obvious reason to expect a turnaround next season, and I don't know why people are so confident of that happening. If LvG still doesn't fancy him, we have a £60m bench player on our hands. Better to move him on before his value depreciates further.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He doesn't?
You don't leave a player you "love" on the bench as much as he did. He subbed him early many times too, just doesn't seem like he understands what LVG wants. If he can swap him for muller he would snap your arm off!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes I understand, if Angel di Maria wants to stay I'm happy because that means Louis van Gaal makes the decision on his future. From what NL Max said, Louis van Gaal expects most players to keep the ball but he wants to create space for his most attacking players and give them the responsibility of creating chances, he is a risky coach (Louis van Gaal has said this many times too) and the team will set up differently when a player like Depay or Angel di Maria have the ball because they are given creative freedom, the team know they might lose it and get hit on the counter so they prepare for it.

For that reason I think Louis van Gaal might like Angel di Maria.

The main problem with Angel di Maria isn't losing the ball but where he loses it, attacking the opposition goal is different to losing it on the half way line, if he is receptive to coaching from Louis van Gaal I also think this area of his game could improve enough to where it is satisfactory.
I think that he likes Di Maria's qualities and I think that he wants to transform him in a sort of Robben, and Robben changed his a game significantly, he doesn't try to do everything himself anymore. Di Maria needs to learn that he isn't alone on the field that the simple option are sometimes the best option.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
At present exchange rates E60m is low, but I'd take £50m and swallow the loss. After a long run in the team last season, he wound up eventually being dropped. There's no obvious reason to expect a turnaround next season, and I don't know why people are so confident of that happening. If LvG still doesn't fancy him, we have a £60m bench player on our hands. Better to move him on before his value depreciates further.
Yeah. He either turns it around and becomes a proper winger for us (no future for him in central midfield) or he spends another season on the bench and then leaves to Fenerbahce for £7m in two years it seems.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
If we're going to let him leave, then we'd better have a similar replacement lined up. I like Muller and Gotze, however, neither are similar to di Maria and won't replace him at all. We bought him because of his ability to tear through teams like he demonstrated in his last six or so months for Real. There aren't many players who have the potential to perform to the level he illustrated in 13/14, which is why we spent so much to bring him to Manchester. I'd actually be very disappointed if we let him go for the two named above, as they just don't have the skill set to replicate what he can do. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of both, but in the PL, we need players of the ilk of di Maria balanced with your typical number 10's etc.

starman

Chelsea sell David Luiz to PSG for 50m. 30m profit

We are supposedly going to selling Di Maria to PSG for 43m. 17m loss.

:confused:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

We won't. We have no reason to sell our most creative player. They'd have to pay a ludacrious fee.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Luiz was as shady a deal as it gets. It was argued at the time that they wanted Hazard but couldn't pay the full price so decided to split it into two - half the money added to Luiz price last Summer and half paid this Summer. Since Hazard doesn't seem to be moving there I'd say it was bollocks.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I love how when the papers talk about us going after Muller it's (rightly) dismissed as bollocks, but when they talk about PSG coming in for Di Maria it's obviously true.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I love how when the papers talk about us going after Muller it's (rightly) dismissed as bollocks, but when they talk about PSG coming in for Di Maria it's obviously true.
Well Di Maria leaving is a lot more realistic

He was a Utd player for one year and there has been rumours the whole time we were never his prefered destination

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Most people tend to think that bad things are more likely to happen than good things, hence why they're so pessimistic. They (myself included) often mistake pessimism with realism though.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well Di Maria leaving is a lot more realistic

He was a Utd player for one year and there has been rumours the whole time we were never his prefered destination
And every time he's opened his mouth it's been to talk about proving himself here and looking forward to next season at United.

There's just no way we'd flog him, especially not at a loss.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We'd be absolutely mad to let him go. Proven, incredibly productive player who settled badly into the premier league in his first season. Hardly the first time that's happened.

If he stinks it up this season then fine, I'd rather take a lower fee and know that we didn't lose one of the world's best without giving him a chance.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
He's been here a year ffs.

Give him another season in a (hopefully) improving side and watch him fly.

Having such a high turnover of players every summer will only have a detrimental impact long term.

Baxter

If we sell him then I'd lose a lot of confidence in LVG and Woodward. He payed £60m for a guy that LVG wanted and then couldn't fit him in the team. Then they'd get rid of him after a season. Pathetic business if it happens, but it wouldn't be surprising.

Roman Bellic

Prick
The papers haven't been able to establish a strong link between Di Maria and Bayern or PSG, so this is all just a journalist's dream, unless we are working on one of those mouth watering high profiled deals where 2 high profiled players switch teams like the Kroos +Alonso deal.

steeeb

A front three of him, Rooney and Depay with a proper midfield and a decent defence and we'll see a completely different player.

pauldyson1uk

Angel Di Maria agrees to leave Manchester United because of this

Football News
24/7

Angel Di Maria has verbally agreed to join Paris Saint-Germain because he is unhappy in England with Manchester United, say the latest controversial reports from the continent.y

If he want to leave because he is unhappy , not much we can do about it, no point having a player that does not want to be here.
(Thats if any of it is true, could bell be just bullshit)

RedorDead21

If we sell him then I'd lose a lot of confidence in LVG and Woodward. He payed £60m for a guy that LVG wanted and then couldn't fit him in the team. Then they'd get rid of him after a season. Pathetic business if it happens, but it wouldn't be surprising.
Why If he goes its because he's asked to go. And if he's asked to go and we can make a deal which favours us you do it. Same with De Gea and anyone else.

SteveW

Di Maria was hugely disappointing last season. I have no idea why some people don't seem to want to admit that. It's not wrong to expect a high level of performance from him. He's a brilliant player and we spent a fortune on him. Hopefully next season he can deliver.

pauldyson1uk

Unless we replace him with bale, ronaldo, reus i wouldnt let him go
if he wants to go and has asked to go, do we have a choice really , yes we can refuse to sell him, but then we have a player who is unhappy and won't perform to his best.
While I want him to stay we don't need players that does not want to be here, get what we paid for him and just get on with it.

Sir A1ex

Di Maria was hugely disappointing last season. I have no idea why some people don't seem to want to admit that.
Thing is, he was excellent for the first few matches - better than you'd expect somebody new to the country to be. But then that only added to the disappointment when he went shit.

LilRicky

Really surprised people are actually believing these rumours! He's only here one season, he knows himself he can't move on after one season. He could possibly go next summer, but now? It just isn't a realistic option.

Why on earth would we lump out £60m for the kid for 1 season?

The only way I would accept him leaving is to be replaced by Bale, Ronaldo or Mueller. Even then I still don't like the idea of him moving on.

0161_UNITED

There's many factors to consider, but I'm not at all opposed to moving on DiMaria provided the right conditions arise. He's a player of considerable quality, but it doesn't seem to be clicking at all for him at United. I don't think he wanted to leave Madrid, TBH. The system and tactics employed by Van Gaal seemed to suit him less and less as the season progressed. His frustration increased and his performance dropped dramatically as the season progressed as well. I have a sneaking suspicion he's unhappy, with Manchester, with LvG, with the team. The club are in the process of clearing an enormous amount of wages of the books: RvP, Nani and probably Evans and Rafael as well. His wages are massive and a decent transfer fee on top of that could only add to the clubs ability to manouevre in the market.

I like DiMaria as a player, but I also quite liked Veron. Sometimes quality players just don't fit. For both the club, and the player, it makes no sense to go through another season with DiMaria as the most expensive substitute in world football. It's a luxury neither can afford.

So many want to moan about how United never get anything in return when we finally sell a player on. Yet some want to give DiMaria another to prove himself, to see how it goes. If it's as bad, or worse, than last season what fee can United expect? Could the club even move him on with the wages he's on?

That's why I feel, if the right offer is on the table, and the right conditions to strengthen the team exist, I'd pull the trigger. Especially if he's unhappy.

Roboc7

I see what people are saying about us looking bad if we sell him at a loss after only a year but as soon as we agreed to buy him for such a huge sum of money we looked stupid. Talk of him being open of the top 10 players in the world and the top 3 in the league is over rating him. No doubt he is a good player but he isn't the world class superstar a lot think he is and other than one season he has been a very hit and miss player.

The big issues are does he want to be here and will the manager pick him in the position where he played his best football. He could be brilliant for us there, he will never live up to the price tag but if he goes back to being the team player he was in that final season and toughens up a bit he could add a new dimension to the team. As a winger I don't think he is anything special and I do think it's far from certain he will be here next season.

He needs to stop trying to do everything himself and go back to what he did well which was creating for others, he has never been a prolific goal scorer and Too often last season he was trying to do much and was too wasteful.

United22

I see what people are saying about us looking bad if we sell him at a loss after only a year but as soon as we agreed to buy him for such a huge sum of money we looked stupid. Talk of him being open of the top 10 players in the world and the top 3 in the league is over rating him. No doubt he is a good player but he isn't the world class superstar a lot think he is and other than one season he has been a very hit and miss player.

The big issues are does he want to be here and will the manager pick him in the position where he played his best football. He could be brilliant for us there, he will never live up to the price tag but if he goes back to being the team player he was in that final season and toughens up a bit he could add a new dimension to the team. As a winger I don't think he is anything special and I do think it's far from certain he will be here next season.

He needs to stop trying to do everything himself and go back to what he did well which was creating for others, he has never been a prolific goal scorer and Too often last season he was trying to do much and was too wasteful.
In his 13/14 form playing in left centre mid he was easily amongst the top 10 players in the world and probably within the top 4 or 5 in his league. That isn't overrating him at all. Yeah he was pretty much another Nani when played strictly on the wing, but Ancelotti brought out another level in him playing him in midfield. Chances are that if Real didn't buy James and Di Maria was still there in his preferred position, he would be still putting out "world class superstar" performances and we would be wondering why we never get any of these players. Just because he has been moved out of position and plays crap, it doesn't mean he isn't world class.

The problem is that since we got rid of the diamond and played him on the wing, he is as good to us as Nani is. Van Gaal is the one who bought him and so he should do everything he can to get the best out of our record signing, this includes playing him in midfield and giving him freedom.

Empire

Di Maria was hugely disappointing last season. I have no idea why some people don't seem to want to admit that. It's not wrong to expect a high level of performance from him. He's a brilliant player and we spent a fortune on him. Hopefully next season he can deliver.
He was disappointing when we compare him to the level he is capable of performing at but due to his productivity I don't think he was 'hugely disappointing'.

Roboc7

In his 13/14 form playing in left centre mid he was easily amongst the top 10 players in the world and probably within the top 4 or 5 in his league. That isn't overrating him at all. Yeah he was pretty much another Nani when played strictly on the wing, but Ancelotti brought out another level in him playing him in midfield. Chances are that if Real didn't buy James and Di Maria was still there in his preferred position, he would be still putting out "world class superstar" performances and we would be wondering why we never get any of these players. Just because he has been moved out of position and plays crap, it doesn't mean he isn't world class.

The problem is that since we got rid of the diamond and played him on the wing, he is as good to us as Nani is. Van Gaal is the one who bought him and so he should do everything he can to get the best out of our record signing, this includes playing him in midfield and giving him freedom.
It is over rating him because it was only for most of one season, he may never repeat that form and until he does he isn't world class, as you say overall I think he is closer to nani than genuine world class players. If he gets back to that level then we can start to talk about him as world class because on the form he has shown the majority of his career he isn't what he might have done if Madrid hadn't sold him means very little at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.