Ødegaard available on loan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justsomebloke

Martin Odegaard: Arsenal want Real Madrid playmaker | Football News | Sky Sports

Several outlets reporting that Martin Ødegaard will leave Real Madrid on loan for the rest of the season, with Arsenal being mentioned among the frontrunners.

Oh please, bring him here. He'd be perfect. Consummate professional and team player. Exquisitely skilled. Responsible, good work rate AND elite creativity. And - can play on the right (where he has mostly played for the Norwegian national team), or as a no 10 and hence as a rotation option for Bruno. That would fill two of our most crucial positional needs.

GoldanoGraham

He is not cut out for the premier league yet - especially not at a big club like ours - there is plenty of potential there but he needs game time and he won’t get that at the elite EPL level

NoPace

I don't see why they'd loan him to us instead of a team that would almost surely play him every game like Arsenal or a good German side, but if he and Ole are good with him starting on the right for the next 4 months it makes a fair amount of sense. Mata out to a mid-table Spanish side and Odegaard in. Ease Diallo's transition as he'd really only need to be ready for September and not right the feck now.

Could also loan out Van De Beek so he gets time that he wants for Dutch team considerations and then he comes back in the summer when Pogba leaves.

Scholsey2004

No, we aren't s mid table club that develops players for bigger sides. I'd definitely buy him though, or swap him for Pogba (presuming he's still leaving)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I love this player, and if PP ends up in Madrid I would take him.

justsomebloke

He is not cut out for the premier league yet - especially not at a big club like ours - there is plenty of potential there but he needs game time and he won’t get that at the elite EPL level
Are you kidding? He is more than good enough to walk right into this team and improve it. He was one of the best players in La Liga last year.

justsomebloke

No, we aren't s mid table club that develops players for bigger sides. I'd definitely buy him though, or swap him for Pogba (presuming he's still leaving)
You mean, we should be too proud and stupid not to take an immediate solution to our most pressing positional problem? If he's good enough to buy, he's good enough to loan. And, he's not a development project. He's a better player right now than any attacker on this team, except Rashford and Bruno.

Idxomer

We aren't taking an attacking midfielder on loan, it's either Arsenal or back to Real Sociedad for him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You mean, we should be too proud and stupid not to take an immediate solution to our most pressing positional problem? If he's good enough to buy, he's good enough to loan. And, he's not a development project. He's a better player right now than any attacker on this team, except Rashford and Bruno.
If he's that good why does an average Madrid team not need him now?

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
He is more than good enough for any team in my opinion.

However. Not matchfit. Jumpers knee problems. Not used to the PL. Will require a lot of playtime, Ole can not promise that.

I see him in Real Sociedad where he knows the club and the system and he does not need to move, or Zidane being fired and Ødegaard stays on despite loan request.

GoldanoGraham

Are you kidding? He is more than good enough to walk right into this team and improve it. He was one of the best players in La Liga last year.
Not kidding - being realistic.
If he is that great then why is he not starting all the time for RM?
He would be better off going via the Bundesliga - somewhere like Dortmund would be perfect for him where they can build him up in a good environment.

This kids been loaned around various leagues, showed some significant promise last year at Sociedad and now people think he can just walk straight into our first team, without being able to get a game for a very poor RM team?

amolbhatia50k

Because he's not the only good player Madrid has in that position.
Neither would he be ours. I know our options at RW aren't good and RM probably have better but they're hardly doing great themselves. Also does he play at right wing or more centrally?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You deceive yourself if you think Odegaard can simply walk into this team and improve it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

However. Not matchfit. Jumpers knee problems. Not used to the PL. Will require a lot of playtime, Ole can not promise that.

I see him in Real Sociedad where he knows the club and the system and he does not need to move, or Zidane being fired and Ødegaard stays on despite loan request.
Do you think it was a bad move on his part to join Real Madrid? It just seems a player with his potential could've been a regular at a big club in England by now. I think if he joined us when he left Norway, he would have had two seasons under his belt at first team level by now.

justsomebloke

You deceive yourself if you think Odegaard can simply walk into this team and improve it.
Neither would he be ours. I know our options at RW aren't good and RM probably have better but they're hardly doing great themselves. Also does he play at right wing or more centrally?
Natural no 10, but also does well on the right. He's mostly played there for the national team.

Ødegaard is already an elite player. He is vastly better than Mata, much better than Greenwood.

See f.e. this year's Global Top100 put together for the Guardian by more than 200 experts. He was in the 80s somewhere. The only United players on that list is Bruno and Rashford. Not even Pogba made the cut. Such rankings are always debatable of course, no matter how many experts you line up. But players don't make lists like that without a reason, or just due to potential.

Tallis

He would be better off going via the Bundesliga - somewhere like Dortmund would be perfect for him where they can build him up in a good environment.

This kids been loaned around various leagues, showed some significant promise last year at Sociedad and now people think he can just walk straight into our first team, without being able to get a game for a very poor RM team?
In my view, Zidane as a manager, is very tactical and prefers players who are ingrained with his tactics. He has had a lot of success so difficult to dispute the results until this season. Otherwise, who would sell Hakimi and play Lucas.

Odegaard is a flair player and needs freedom. Zidane is not going to give it to him. He prefers his tried and tested Modric, Kroos etc.

Personally - I am quite a fan of Odegaard. I would play him as a right sided forward if he came here.However, I would be keen to understand his fitness because he seems to have a lot of niggles recently.

justsomebloke

Do you think it was a bad move on his part to join Real Madrid? It just seems a player with his potential could've been a regular at a big club in England by now. I think if he joined us when he left Norway, he would have had two seasons under his belt at first team level by now.
Debatable, I guess. Haaland's route (many steps through good teams in gradually better leagues) seems more obviously smart. But all in all, it's turned out well for Ødegaard too. He's developed to the level expected, more or less as quickly as expected, through a series of loan moves.

amolbhatia50k

Natural no 10, but also does well on the right. He's mostly played there for the national team.

Ødegaard is already an elite player. He is vastly better than Mata, much better than Greenwood.

See f.e. this year's Global Top100 put together for the Guardian by more than 200 experts. He was in the 80s somewhere. The only United players on that list is Bruno and Rashford. Not even Pogba made the cut. Such rankings are always debatable of course, no matter how many experts you line up. But players don't make lists like that without a reason, or just due to potential.
Elite players don't usually get sent away on loan. I know he did great last season so he's probably been included in that list on that basis but how's he been this season?

amolbhatia50k

Not good enough for his own team yet "more than good enough" for any team, apparently.

I'm sure he's a super talent, as seems to be the case from most reputed accounts on the player. But declaring him to be elite or good enough for any team is obviously an odd thing to say.

justsomebloke

Elite players don't usually get sent away on loan. I know he did great last season so he's probably been included in that list on that basis but how's he been this season?
Kingsley Coman says hello, and there's a huge line of players behind him waiting to do the same.

Ødegaard hasn't played much this season, mostly due to knee problems. That is a concern, certainly.

justsomebloke

Not good enough for his own team yet "more than good enough" for any team, apparently.

I'm sure he's a super talent, as seems to be the case from most reputed accounts on the player. But declaring him to be elite or good enough for any team is obviously an odd thing to say.
It isn't at all. That's his level. He is not "not good enough for his own team yet". That's why they terminated his loan at Real Sociedad one year early, and brought him back.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Debatable, I guess. Haaland's route (many steps through good teams in gradually better leagues) seems more obviously smart. But all in all, it's turned out well for Ødegaard too. He's developed to the level expected, more or less as quickly as expected, through a series of loan moves.
He has developed but has he developed to the standard his potential warranted at a young age? I just think the Haaland route where he went to Salzburg and now Dortmund was the more sensible route to take. Now it seems he's getting loaned out every season and there's very little stability in his football education.

justsomebloke

Thinks “what the f...?”, checks location, “ahhhhhh

:)

He’s clearly not good enough for any team yet, else he wouldn’t be desperate for a move.
And you're clearly not in a position to offer much om this issue, else you wouldn't resort to ad hominems and second-hand reasoning. Same goes for a couple of other posters on this thread.

Arguments offered:

1. He can't be an elite player, because elite players don't go on loan
2. If you go on loan, that means you're not good enough for your team
3. If a poster is Norwegian, you can safely discount his opinion on Ødegaard (I'll remember that logic next time you have an opinion about Marcus Rashford. Also, you'd think it might be considered a positive that a poster has actually seen Ødegaard play quite a lot, for a long while.)
4. If he goes on loan, then he's basically a development project and we don't do that
5. If he's not good enough to be a fixture in Real Madrid's first XI right now, he can't be that good.

None of which is based on any relevant knowledge or information about the player. It's just knee-jerk reaction based on broad generalisations.

justsomebloke

He has developed but has he developed to the standard his potential warranted at a young age? I just think the Haaland route where he went to Salzburg and now Dortmund was the more sensible route to take. Now it seems he's getting loaned out every season and there's very little stability in his football education.
Well, the list of players his age or younger who are better than him right now is very short. I'm not sure anyone expected more, at any stage. But yeah, I agree with you that the sort of route Haaland has taken seems better. Obviously, you can make it work in different ways.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'd gladly take him on a permanent deal, but the idea of loaning a player from Madrid doesn't sit well with me.

RUCK4444

I don't get why the caf always has a hard on for this player.

Constantly loaned out by Real Madrid, can't hold a place down.

Talented but if he was that good he would have made an impact at Madrid by now surely.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If he's that good why does an average Madrid team not need him now?

Real under Zidane is a graveyard for young players. Theo Hernandez and Hakimi, discarded by Real, are now the two best full backs in Serie A. Reguilon has been an incredible piece of business for Spurs. Jovic started scoring again the moment he returned to Bundesliga. Ødegaard made La Liga team of the year last season and Sociedad were in CL contention until a persistent runner's knee hampered him post-lockdown. The season before he made Eredivisie TOTY. He'll come good again when he moves away from that toxic environment.

He's pretty comfortable as a RW/RM so he'd be an awesome short-term loan option when you look at our dysfunctional right hand side. Our best player on the right has probably been Mata this season but his legs are gone and that's why he doesn't get much game time anymore. Ødegaard has Mata's creativity and is 10 years younger.

Fred/Matic - Pogba
Ødegaard - Bruno - Rashford
Cavani​

That would be three super creative players feeding the likes of Rashford and Cavani, while also freeing up each other. The thing with a non-existent right hand side is that opponents are allowed to spend more time neutralising Bruno and Rashford. If we can get any sort of quality on the right wing then that would free up space for Rashford on the opposite flank and also Shaw on the overlaps.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
And you're clearly not in a position to offer much om this issue, else you wouldn't resort to ad hominems and second-hand reasoning. Same goes for a couple of other posters on this thread.

Arguments offered:

1. He can't be an elite player, because elite players don't go on loan
2. If you go on loan, that means you're not good enough for your team
3. If a poster is Norwegian, you can safely discount his opinion on Ødegaard (I'll remember that logic next time you have an opinion about Marcus Rashford. Also, you'd think it might be considered a positive that a poster has actually seen Ødegaard play quite a lot, for a long while.)
4. If he goes on loan, then he's basically a development project and we don't do that
5. If he's not good enough to be a fixture in Real Madrid's first XI right now, he can't be that good.

None of which is based on any relevant knowledge or information about the player. It's just knee-jerk reaction based on broad generalisations.
Number 4 has some merit. We have a player in VDB that isn't getting enough minutes, and a new RW prospect that look likely to be featuring in match day squads pretty soon. I could see a loan deal if we were down to our last centre-back (for example) but in this case it just doesn't look like a good fit to me.

justsomebloke

I don't get why the caf always has a hard on for this player.

Constantly loaned out by Real Madrid, can't hold a place down.

Talented but if he was that good he would have made an impact at Madrid by now surely.
Well, if you'd watched him play, you'd know. But why bother, when you can perfectly well base discussion contributions on lazy generalizations?

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
This guy gets an excessive amount of attention on here. Never realised you Norwegians were so patriotic.

BarstoolProphet

His talent is unquestionable, but his persistant knee injuries is very concerning. He plays like a left-footed Iniesta at times so would love to see him in the Premiership.

justsomebloke

Number 4 has some merit. We have a player in VDB that isn't getting enough minutes, and a new RW prospect that look likely to be featuring in match day squads pretty soon. I could see a loan deal if we were down to our last centre-back (for example) but in this case it just doesn't look like a good fit to me.
No it doesn't, even less than the others. There are plenty of players who go on loan despite already being at an elite level, simply because they don't necessarily fit into their teams plans and structure at that moment and they don't want to sell them. Coutinho, for example.

He is not remotely comparable to Diallo. And as far as I can see, he fills exactly the gaps in the squad that we most urgently need filled.

justsomebloke

He won’t come here for the same reason that Reguillon didn’t come here.
What, you mean this summer? There was never any talk of a loan move, he fell through because United wouldn't include a buy-back clause, if I remember correctly?

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
On the contrary. Bayerns elite prospects Lahm, Alaba, Kroos all got sent out on loan for 18-24 months at approximately 18-22 years of age. Ödegaard is terrific, but like Özil, James Rodriguez or Guti before him at Real he might need the managers unwavering trust to prosper. In general, although there are exceptions, you shouldn't move to Real before being established and 24-26 years of age like Kroos, Bale, Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso, Arbeloa and Pepe.

Status
Not open for further replies.