‘Elite’ hipster CBs vs Maguire & Lindelöf

criticalanalysis

People seriously think Rio and Vidic would struggle in 'modern' football?
Utterly bizarre isn't it.

Rio and Vidic would be the best centre back pairing in the world bar none today. If you suddenly teleported them from over 10 years ago and put them in a game tomorrow, of course they would 'struggle' to an extent because the opposition would know everything about them but give them a few months/year to get accustomed and they would annihilate the opposition.

Imagine Rio and Vidic playing against one opposition striker, playing with a compact and pressing midfield in front of them, who make constant triangles for passing lanes etc in a team that will press high and get back in numbers.

Some of you guys haven't really thought this through.

Even on a individual level if they were playing on their own, they would still absolutely dominate ffs. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

Vidic was an aggressive defender who gave the opposition no space, very good in 1-on-1, zonally and man marking. His biggest weakness would probably be getting dragged out wide in the channels but his positoning and reading of the game is so good, he would rarely get exposed anyways. Rio would be the modern CB reincarnate.

Of course both would need decent partners but that's the same for literally everyone at any point of time in the history of football.

Last edited:

HowYouDoin

Maguire beats Lindelof in every single metric that matters for a defender, including winning twice as many aerial battles, which is pretty damn important for a CB. Last season he also got bailed out by AWB constantly, make a change on RB which leaves Lindelof to defend 1v1 and lo an behold he gets torn apart
That was very apparent in the Crystal Palace game. Lindelof is a weak link.

El Jefe

Another corker of a thread by the OP :lol: . No surprise he's also the biggest Ole in supporter.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This thread is something else. Title instantly cracks me up :lol:

amolbhatia50k

When you see who the OP is, it all makes sense :lol:
Don't worry. Every manager is Klopp and will win all everything after year 3. Patience equals success. Next time I give an exam I'll just stare at my sheet patiently knowing I'll eventually get every answer right.

Robbie Boy

Don't worry. Every manager is Klopp and will win all everything after year 3. Patience equals success. Next time I give an exam I'll just stare at my sheet patiently knowing I'll eventually get every answer right.
The Ole/Klopp comparisons crack me up :lol:

lilcurt

We don't need elite, Chris Smalling is our best defender but we are letting him go because he can't play out from the back.

Surely playing out from the back should be secondary to actually defending?

amolbhatia50k

We don't need elite, Chris Smalling is our best defender but we are letting him go because he can't play out from the back.

Surely playing out from the back should be secondary to actually defending?
Absolutely. If you have CBs who can do both well then great but given we don't I've always said I'd take Smalling as one our two main CBs. Who wouldn't want to play out from the back? But if that means defending like a bunch of wimps, give me someone like Smalling anyday.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well this went well...

Skills

Snitch
This thread's a car crash just like any topic the OP has ever invested anytime forming an opinion on.

CG1010

Since this thread was created, both of them have turned completely shit. I say burn this thread down NOW!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Supporting is one thing, but you're arguing that Manchester United supporters should bury their heads in the sand and not trust their own eyes.
I mean if gloating that our players played shit makes you a top red, well that's not for me.

Gazza

Got to love Manchester United fans who can't even support their own players. Not much else to say really.
People are having a laugh about what was clearly a misguided post on your part, to be kind. To try to link it to 'supporting the players' is even more hilarious, thanks for the laughs on this difficult day mate ;)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
People are having a laugh about what was clearly a misguided post on your part, to be kind. To try to link it to 'supporting the players' is even more hilarious, thanks for the laughs on this difficult day mate ;)
Not really. Plenty of defenders have shocking days, just like all those 'elite' defenders did during latter stages on the europe cups.
Was Maguire's turn today. Am not sure what is gained from gloating on how shit he was today.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Not really. Plenty of defenders have shocking days, just like all those 'elite' defenders did during latter stages on the europe cups.
Was Maguire's turn today. Am not sure what is gained from gloating on how shit he was today.
You've spelt "careers" wrong

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think my man Victor Lindelof became a hipster tonight :D
And Axel is an elite hipster.:devil:

crossy1686

career ending
I think the issue might actually be Maguire folks, not Lindelof. He looked a lot more assured when he knew he didn't have to have one eye on the space behind him all night because he knew Tuanzebe would be able to track back if needed. Lindelof has had to track back for both him and Maguire and anticipate Maguire getting caught out all season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think a 3 man defence will help any defender out.

It limits the channels you have to focus on and split it in to 3 rather than 2.

I think Maguire and Lindelof can benefit from it. Either way we wont be able to play a 3 at the back formation all the time so we do need more CB'S that overtake the places of the non existent ones of Rojo and Jones.

Bojan11

Yet another timeless classic from the thread creator.

Please bring me these elite hipster defenders.

UDontMessWith24

Why does this child get taken seriously enough to have such long threads? It’s like arguing with an 8 year old.